IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I guess the owners have significant backing to cover it…..no different to SL and the £150m losses he's converted to shares.

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/document-api-images-live.ch.gov.uk/docs/gEbxPgrW-MEiNtD9zaidCDWzEPtQR5SGZCbU8t2OKTA/application-pdf?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=ASIAWRGBDBV3LPBXCG5V%2F20210906%2Feu-west-2%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20210906T075424Z&X-Amz-Expires=60&X-Amz-Security-Token=IQoJb3JpZ2luX2VjECYaCWV1LXdlc3QtMiJGMEQCICyQClouGdNKH0fZj5AdCFtdmok44KSvZVs2RUSN6mcTAiAG2JRh89nItcLzY6pvZ5fNFE9as%2BblUMqtSyasJPucyyr6AwhvEAMaDDQ0OTIyOTAzMjgyMiIMjuHwDIBX%2BRY2qYmAKtcDRbJJ9P6igFlrePyishYGMxBS8K44i1sFDOZ6VPhiWUQLf%2F%2FLzGQnE3YfuaPlyKqeRSxuVLo49dpDk5KyW6rsWX9JGHrKycgZHUKPZVjeoPZQlhUd9S6tOeOgTpMvK9YNRjbDFnjk%2BCdGLvZe41CVCnTSnw2TxfwHVcl9XnfdX23MFMxYKoqc68nhHSbZiUaJJocjSBGQNXEQpQIuKSETItyDqBgdNwewkU508jsP1ER1V6kPi4gyHXVt%2BfZBARe5Al2Mt67uk600xM76CneDJF%2F5b6TAN7rp4QJ99%2FaGtR4N56JwocQVxYIWK7W3zoXST2pt9Uo3D%2FYVSM5uuxBe4kBSlXbCkjQn%2FOPNeyL4nrvWa9eeJ56iYhSO2Ekl0TLSnN57ge6VkzX6v9zf6v%2FCnJF57MQ0hP7TwFXx7RGYu4Wvl0MzyC1BjhATITd0rWcZhnNsvIARifcyxNdGDT8YMS6F69o1rTzxBdu9VkHz9EGw9v8zvY7l2b%2BsMgBkvH%2FXoy7%2BdlYd1P%2FT9kNXcsMy4D9FSAXHvIWQgsdjeIQt37b7hrkIxdnf8IN39fWP0BXQyUi8JRWz3txavFuALzIAWT6JtaW1QMKGXwH9wD4aFzzAmxPDqzsAMJXg1okGOqYBi4EtdPtLvpXeFd%2BNd35%2F9TDzB1TKPTpZD8T9Y2iRy%2FjEWL7yiDbOd9ntRKhTscvYEe61DQSORzuY9X1ooatNqEbwjCniyU2K%2BbD1QOKozM7FFoKwRZheNPZR26Rs%2FWBrOhP2D%2B2XkLnPO%2F3p5vr11AEEZWzzzkUTMj6xRfhJjmsNdU8rg6XzSVqlaAEDo5ybQh8waAGevehMO6MGfZvn0Opr1SWwXw%3D%3D&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&response-content-disposition=inline%3Bfilename%3D"00315421_aa_2021-06-30.pdf"&X-Amz-Signature=c56cd96c2474ddc0918365d7112d26570530be1feb782f99301c1ea3716e51ff

Thanks but none of the links work for me, all I get is this "XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it" which is ironic as similar comments have often been made about my attire..

7 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Thanks but none of the links work for me, all I get is this "XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it" which is ironic as similar comments have often been made about my attire..

Just Google “companies house beta”, type Ipswich Town football and go from there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soultrader said:

I think if you look back on MAs tenure, regarding transfers, yes we sold some people for big bucks.  Can't argue with that, although you could question if we should have sold them?

I think the main thrust of his tenure was to hamstring the club, by making (mostly) mediocre signings.   So the team was dilluted every time

The ffp experts will confirm, but I think the simple answer is yes, we had to to cover losses to keep within ffp. Also with players like Reid, Bryan, Webster would they have been happy had we denied the their chance to play at the highest level, added to which can you imagine the flack the club would have got had they turned down the bids we got for those players?

On 01/09/2021 at 21:26, Henry said:

I’m confused; is it one or two ingredients? Time or patience?

Cook isn’t going to last long, it pains Ashton to say his name.

Ding Ding Ding!

The scores are just in, I've just counted.

One of his most-loathed phrases - Mark Ashton says "this football club" a grand total of TEN times during this 9 minute interview. That's more than once a minute. Absolutely sickening. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bainsey said:

Ding Ding Ding!

One of his most-loathed phrases - Mark Ashton says "this football club" a grand total of TEN times during this 9 minute interview. That's more than once a minute. Absolutely sickening. 

Saves him having to learn the name ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 06/09/2021 at 11:40, Bainsey said:

Ding Ding Ding!

TBF most "suits" say this, it does my brain in as well. Why not just say this club ?

• Like 1

He’s done another media interview today with the local East Anglian press.

Starts off with saying he went after Bersant Celina earlier this summer….before he’d spoken to Paul Cook.  It fell through due to Celina having a heart issue which subsequently was resolved prior to deadline day deal.

More talk about going after certain players because he knew the agents well.  ICM Stellar Sports are a big agency, but  - Celina, Burns, Coulson, Chaplin, 

plus non-Ipswich players Woodrow, Burke and Whatmough (who we were allegedly interested in), Wickham, Dozzell (who they just sold), Morrell (who they tried to sign), Maenpaa.  I suspect some of our press might have their contacts in this agency?

Then talk of Wes Burns and how he knew him from when he was consultant here, and how he did Wes’s first pro deal, took him to Oxford on loan and how he gets on so well with Wes’s family and “representatives”.

Then talks about Kyle Edwards and how the Chairman (O’Leary- ex WBA) said they should sign Edwards….so they did.

Both the press guys blowing smoke up his arse….about the hours he works, how many calls he took in a day, etc.

Having said that, if you didn’t know his previous form you might think it was all fantastic.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Starts off with saying he went after Bersant Celina earlier this summer….before he’d spoken to Paul Cook.  It fell through due to Celina having a heart issue which subsequently was resolved prior to deadline day deal.

More talk about going after certain players because he knew the agents well.  ICM Stellar Sports are a big agency, but  - Celina, Burns, Coulson, Chaplin, 

plus non-Ipswich players Woodrow, Burke and Whatmough (who we were allegedly interested in), Wickham, Dozzell (who they just sold), Morrell (who they tried to sign), Maenpaa.  I suspect some of our press might have their contacts in this agency?

Then talk of Wes Burns and how he knew him from when he was consultant here, and how he did Wes’s first pro deal, took him to Oxford on loan and how he gets on so well with Wes’s family and “representatives”.

Then talks about Kyle Edwards and how the Chairman (O’Leary- ex WBA) said they should sign Edwards….so they did.

Both the press guys blowing smoke up his arse….about the hours he works, how many calls he took in a day, etc.

Having said that, if you didn’t know his previous form you might think it was all fantastic.

I begin to wonder how Paul Cook passes the time since Ashton seems to do at least half his job! When does Ashton get his coaching badges I wonder? ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It seems like the majority of their fans are going with a very simplistic view that he"s done an amazing job in the transfer window and all the pressure is on Cook to deliver the promotion they believe this squad deserves.

So the quality of the recruitment won't get the scrutiny it deserves. I can't see this changing for at least a couple of years.

Edited by SE23Red
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Starts off with saying he went after Bersant Celina earlier this summer….before he’d spoken to Paul Cook.

That bodes well for the Manger - Ego relationship. Always tell the man in charge of the main part of the Club that you didn't "really" want him ?

More talk about going after certain players because he knew the agents well.

I did wonder about this. IMO it's not a great way to build a squad. Bit like only shopping at Lidl when they first opened. Had similar things you wanted, but not the exact one. But , hey, you're there so might as well shop there.

The fans will be a little like young kids at Xmas. Just opened one present, throws it to one side and wants the next.
We were the same, at least to start. They made such a show of the "New Man" , focus was taken off of the fact we weren't building a team. IMO he stayed so long because Steve was a mate, and loyal . The new owners won't be so forgiving, probably why .........

He's a bluffer. 

29 minutes ago, SE23Red said:

So the quality of the recruitment won't get the scrutiny it deserves. I can't see this changing for at least a couple of years.

They will be so desperate for success, you're probably right. The squad is about 30 first team players deep as far as I can see. 19 new signings? That doesn't usually lead to a happy and functioning squad . Oh how we'll laugh.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SE23Red said:

It seems like the majority of their fans are going with a very simplistic view that he"s done an amazing job in the transfer window and all the pressure is on Cook to deliver the promotion they believe this squad deserves.

He gets credit for signing 19 players yet there is no inside information on whether they over or underpaid them. Whats funny is ours, Oxford and Watford fans have all expressed disdain for Ashton. But we should be thankful because he left us in a better position!?! hahaha....What scrapping to stay up ? Some of their fans are doughnuts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

He gets credit for signing 19 players yet there is no inside information on whether they over or underpaid them. Whats funny is ours, Oxford and Watford fans have all expressed disdain for Ashton. But we should be thankful because he left us in a better position!?! hahaha....What scrapping to stay up ? Some of their fans are doughnuts.

I still can’t correlate how “all” of these players turned down Championship clubs (some of them top Champ clubs) to sign for Ipswich, AND…

how they all took wage cuts, or accepted less from Ipswich than elsewhere, YET…

all the 20+ players that left were big earners.

I suggest some poetic license, otherwise known as BS don’t you?

He knows that they can use the US investment to cover wages in Lg1 SCMP.  He can’t do that in the Champ where different rules apply.  Should they get promoted, wiggle room for new recruits is gonna be hard.  He’s built an expectation, I think he will find it tough next summer.

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I still can’t correlate how “all” of these players turned down Championship clubs (some of them top Champ clubs) to sign for Ipswich, AND…

how they all took wage cuts, or accepted less from Ipswich than elsewhere, YET…

all the 20+ players that left were big earners.

I suggest some poetic license, otherwise known as BS don’t you?

He knows that they can use the US investment to cover wages in Lg1 SCMP.  He can’t do that in the Champ where different rules apply.  Should they get promoted, wiggle room for new recruits is gonna be hard.  He’s built an expectation, I think he will find it tough next summer.

Big promotion bonuses in all the contracts ? 

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Promotion bonus is a squad level / club thing….which of course could be large.

But you wonder what promotion wage increases might be, don’t you.

Yep, to turn down Championship wages (if they did and it's not spin) for a year is big for a player. Then 19 players, all promised a pay rise , with all the inevitable new signings ? 

He may be lucky, but it does feel familiar doesn't it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

From Barnsley? Wouldn't have minded bringing him back here TBH. 

Edited by Ska Junkie

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

161FC66A-4559-4A4F-B930-556010C38DD4.thumb.jpeg.659af0b938282ac86447ac4b408b5213.jpeg

So MA has gone into a club with 27 youngsters deemed good enough for a pro contract and has seen the need to pack the first team squad with senior players who won't even make the bench.

I'm so glad his ideas of what a healthy football club looks like are long gone.

• Haha 1

Regarding the relationship with agents thing. When it comes to Ashton there's always this nagging feeling in the back of your mind that there's something dodgy or inappropriate going on when of course there's absolutely no suggestion there is.

When my mum and dad have replaced their car, on the last two occasions they've gone to the same garage and dealt with the same salesman. In all likelihood they'll go there again as a first choice when it comes to replacing their current one. Why? They tell the chap what they want and he finds the right car and gives them a competitive price. All parties are happy.

At face value, that would explain why Ashton uses the same agent / agencies on a regular basis.

Here's the thing however, Ashton is not buying a complete outfit but parts of one. So, instead of replacing a Ford Fiesta for a Ford Focus, he's buying new tyres, then a new body kit, then a new fuel filter and so on.

The way he does his upgrades is by going to the same parts shop every time and by buying parts that look great but may not even fit the car he's buying it for. Of course, he doesn't bother talking to his mechanic about this but relies on Google for his research.

He may have a Ford Fiesta but he'll buy a sports exhaust for a Mondeo because Google says its brilliant, then ask his mechanic (Paul Cook) to make the thing fit and get it working. 

The parts shop (agents( aren't going to question what Ashton's doing because why on earth would you want to stop someone from spending a fortune with you and, after all, it's none of your business why he needs those parts or where they are going to be used.

When you find out you can't fit the part or its not working properly it wil just sit in the garage and rust unless you can persuade someone to buy it off you. Sometimes you can't and end up giving them away. Sounds familiar.

A Mark Ashton assembled squad:

images.jpeg.2c8c17e7b02bd99da4154b5eaaa7ae45.jpeg

Edited by Midlands Robin
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Regarding the relationship with agents thing. When it comes to Ashton there's always this nagging feeling in the back of your mind that there's something dodgy or inappropriate going on when of course there's absolutely no suggestion there is.

When my mum and dad have replaced their car, on the last two occasions they've gone to the same garage and dealt with the same salesman. In all likelihood they'll go there again as a first choice when it comes to replacing their current one. Why? They tell the chap what they want and he finds the right car and gives them a competitive price. All parties are happy.

At face value, that would explain why Ashton uses the same agent / agencies on a regular basis.

Here's the thing however, Ashton is not buying a complete outfit but parts of one. So, instead of replacing a Ford Fiesta for a Ford Focus, he's buying new tyres, then a new body kit, then a new fuel filter and so on.

The way he does his upgrades is by going to the same parts shop every time and by buying parts that look great but may not even fit the car he's buying it for. Of course, he doesn't bother talking to his mechanic about this but relies on Google for his research.

He may have a Ford Fiesta but he'll buy a sports exhaust for a Mondeo because Google says its brilliant, then ask his mechanic (Paul Cook) to make the thing fit and get it working. 

The parts shop (agents( aren't going to question what Ashton's doing because why on earth would you want to stop someone from spending a fortune with you and, after all, it's none of your business why he needs those parts or where they are going to be used.

When you find out you can't fit the part or its not working properly it wil just sit in the garage and rust unless you can persuade someone to buy it off you. Sometimes you can't and end up giving them away. Sounds familiar.

broom-trigger.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

Was gonna write something, then thought better of it!!!! ???

All I would say is that beyond his own salary, his various business interests have taken money out of football clubs in one way or another, from consultancy fees to providing “hospitality / services” to the world of football.  Nothing wrong with that per se, but a lot of nepotism in his world.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Why not, Johnny Cash did it "One piece at a time"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

That's what you get when you only sign 19 new players.

Ashton's plan for the January window?  Sign another 30 new players ! (and earn bucketloads of commission £££ ! )

You beat me to it, .it's almost like he gets a back hander for every transfer..........but THAT would be unethical to say the least !

Ipswich Town. My favourite sub-plot this season is developing perfectly.

Who knew that bunging together 19 expensive players, with no cohesion or knowledge on if they can play together, signed by a CEO, who has a narcissism complex, would result in this?

Oh yes, we did, Oxford did, Watford did.

Watch the cracks start to appear between him and Cook. Not sure Paul Cook will toe the party line like Johnson/Holden did here.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Ipswich Town. My favourite sub-plot this season is developing perfectly.

Who knew that bunging together 19 expensive players, with no cohesion or knowledge on if they can play together, signed by a CEO, who has a narcissism complex, would result in this?

Oh yes, we did, Oxford did, Watford did.

Watch the cracks start to appear between him and Cook. Not sure Paul Cook will toe the party line like Johnson/Holden did here.

If you recruit based on being mates with the agent, then you are taking a big gamble.

The Celina transfer really interested me.

Ashton initially tried to get him early in the summer before he’d spoken to Cook about it (from MA’s lips, not conjecture on my part).  Celina’s agent - ICM Stellar Sport, have several Ipswich players, especially new signings with them.  Why would you go after a player without speaking to the manager?  Trying to get onside with the fans early on, the fans liked Celina when he was here, many fans anti-Mick McCarthy because MM thought he didn’t do the basics so didn’t play him.  Fans are a sucker for a flair player.

It fell through over a heart issue (now resolved).

When he did sign on deadline day, surely they’d already recruited plan B?  Just like Szmodics and Palmer all over again!

But then, again from MA’s lips, Cook had to really convince Celina he could fit into Cook’s playing style.  So a vanity signing for the CEO who they didn’t scout (if they scouted at all - they have no recruitment Dept) to a specific manager system requirement.

But, I have no sympathy for Paul Cook for allowing this to happen, just like I didn’t with Lee Johnson.  You just have to say no, and be prepared to stand up to the CEO even if it means leaving your job. LJ had enough credit in the bank to force the issue with SL, and if not backed could go and get a job elsewhere.  I don’t think any recruiting clubs would look badly on a manager saying he left because the CEO tried to force players on him.  Most would think it showed prudence.

I don’t think Cook will have any credit in the bank with Ipswich’s new owners, especially as the CEO and Chairman are mates and the Chairman and CEO worked to get the new Owners to invest.  But Cook still has a lot of credit in football, and I’m sure prospective employers would look on him favourably if he called out Ashton.

However, in both Johnson and Cook’s position, who turns down a player?  That’s their downfall.

• Like 10
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Not sure if covered before, but was Ashton at all involved in us bringing Nige in? Just cannot see how Nige would’ve worked under the conditions that Johnson and Cook have.

He was involved to at least an extent and I think he did the initial approach. However I wonder if it was known that he was leaving at that point. At the very least Pearson seems to have joined knowing the spending limitations that were likely to be in place meant the transfer policy would be very different.

That said, Pearson obviously joined until the end of the season and at a point when the transfer market was closed so there was no real risk of players being signed without his knowledge.

• Like 1

Pretty sure SL did the Sunday morning zoom with Nige.  Can’t believe MA wasn’t involved though.

But there’s no way SL wasn’t aware MA was off at that point either.  I get the impression that SL was getting much more hands-on early in 2021…probably once Maggie had read Kid’s post on here. ?

He seemed to be back running the show at the point of Nige’s appointment 

• Like 5