IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

Posted (edited)

Can the evening get any worse…..I’ve not only stumbled across a picture of M. Ashtons cheesey grin but seen old flush faced Steve chatting about Botswana on the local TV 

Edited by Peter1450

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Solid corporate governance. 😂😂😂

If they needed a new Chairman why didn't they head hunt Jon Lansdown?

Still, I'm sure the new Chairman will hold the CEO to account and have stern words with him if his performance is not up to scratch.

7 minutes ago, chinapig said:

If they needed a new Chairman why didn't they head hunt Jon Lansdown?

Still, I'm sure the new Chairman will hold the CEO to account and have stern words with him if his performance is not up to scratch.

Lord Of The Rings GIF by Maudit

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think he must have appointed himself. Very Mark Ashton😆

Yeh, and he's kept the CEO role as well.

Meaning that Ipswich are now the only PL club to have the same person fill both roles.

It's a poor look, probably on par with sacking a well-qualified CEO and then not replacing him.

• Like 17

1 minute ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

It was announced a couple of days ago that the Chairman was stepping down and MA would be both Chairman and CEO. Time for Jon to be CEO too or is it already the case  

We lack a dedicated CEO as such.

Gavin Marshall is the Group CEO and our structure is a shambles/shitshow above Manning I mean. Not that I'm slating Marshall or Rawcliffe but it just screams dysfunctionality.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

TBH if it was a choice between Jon Lansdown and Mark Ashton I know which one I would choose......

and it wouldn't be JL

The problem is that's also a choice between having an owner and a Chairman who get on, and an owner and a Chairman who don't get on. 

In my view, you don't want the latter.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

It was announced a couple of days ago that the Chairman was stepping down and MA would be both Chairman and CEO. Time for Jon to be CEO too or is it already the case  

Well I'm late to the party as I didn't see the news. I will go and look for the thread to merge it with then.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I know who I’d rather have as chairman. 

And Ashton would also probably do a better job with designing kits. 

Neither would be the preferable choice tbh. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

49 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I know who I’d rather have as chairman. 

And Ashton would also probably do a better job with designing kits. 

I’d rather not have that absolute slimeball, narcissistic wannabe ladies man anywhere near our club ever again. 

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

45 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh, and he's kept the CEO role as well.

Meaning that Ipswich are now the only PL club to have the same person fill both roles.

It's a poor look, probably on par with sacking a well-qualified CEO and then not replacing him.

As Tinnion has currently been given numerous combined roles at City, Ipswich are just following City’s example 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, lenred said:

Neither would be the preferable choice tbh. 

Yep, but hypothetically speaking... Ashton is almost certainly a far better business type person and a more capable officer in a football club hierachy than JL, but... it's difficult to express things without casting aspertions but people were left with a bad taste in their mouth after (and during) his time here, to say the least.  Whereas, JL, probably a decent human, real heart for Bristol City, would not do anything questionable, and I do wish him success, mainly for the sake of the club, but I doubt he is on the same level as Ashton in terms of skills and experience.

Edited by White Stripe
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, White Stripe said:

Yep, but hypothetically speaking... Ashton is almost certainly a far better business type person and a more capable officer in a football club hierachy, but... it's difficult to express things without casting aspertions but I think people were left with a bad taste in their mouth after (and even during) his time here.  Whereas, JL, probably a decent human, real heart for Bristol City, would not do anything questionable, and I do wish him success, mainly for the sake of the club, but I doubt he is on the same level as Ashton in terms of skills and experience.

With sufficient oversight and a well defined remit, Ashton will do a good job.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

As Tinnion has currently been given numerous combined roles at City, Ipswich are just following City’s example 

Would they like him? Asking for a friend 🙂

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

I’d rather not have that absolute slimeball, narcissistic wannabe ladies man anywhere near our club ever again. 

I’ve heard a couple of things recently Pete which I wouldn’t want to post here for obvious reasons. Yes, I know what that sounds like etc. but to your point I would rather have an incompetent JL than MA in any capacity. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

The problem is that's also a choice between having an owner and a Chairman who get on, and an owner and a Chairman who don't get on. 

In my view, you don't want the latter.

If the new Ipswich Chairman and CEO don't get on they've got a real problem!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Successive managers, players and ‘chief operating officers’ have come and gone over the years. 
Bristol City are still in the championship whilst other teams including Ipswich have leapfrogged us into the Prem. 

What is the constant?

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Maybe it wasn’t him who was the problem when he was here? I know he’s annoying, but he’s clearly done well at Ipswich.

He paid the same enormous, enormous gamble as he did with us, difference is luck was on his side this time in that he stumbled on a generational coach. If they’d not have gone up from league one, with their costs and books, they’d have had to have made an almighty amount of job cuts & player sales, and he’d probs be out of a job now. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

He paid the same enormous, enormous gamble as he did with us, difference is luck was on his side this time in that he stumbled on a generational coach. If they’d not have gone up from league one, with their costs and books, they’d have had to have made an almighty amount of job cuts & player sales, and he’d probs be out of a job now. 

I think they may have had one more moderate year at it but beyond that.. next Spring we should know for sure. Cutbacks minimum, maybe Davis sold? Less % reinvested etc.

Whilst I don’t like Mark Ashton as much as the rest, I think a few of the responses here are quite dramatic. 

The CEO runs the business day to day, the chairman leads the board of directors. But the board of directors appoint a CEO to delegate powers to. He’s not really gained anything by becoming joint chairman and CEO. The board of directors can still remove a chairman just as much as they could remove a CEO. 

He’s basically been rewarded for back to back promotions with what appears a fancier job title that happened to become available. He’s not really gained any more control. Maybe he’ll be more persuasive to the board of directors but he’s no less removable than he’s ever been. And the outside investors can have him out as quickly as chairman as they would a CEO.

Edited by 38MC

55 minutes ago, petehinton said:

But the outside investors - SL - sanctioned it and we should never forget that. 

And in reality most successful entrepreneurs do run themselves to the absolute credit limit and either get lucky or lose everything. 

I think that’s what some of us misinterpret about Mark Ashton. He’s quite the capitalist. And he speculates to accumulate, and he’s very lucky he’s in an industry where someone else will fund him. He’s not taking the credit gamble himself.

Do you know what, in his position, I think most of us would happily spend someone else’s money and hope to stumble across a winning formula.

He’s found his now. He’s rode the coattails of Kieran McKenna, spending someone else’s money, and he’s now CEO of a Premier League football club. I don’t like the way he got there, the jobs for mates, the shadier accusations of how he operated (accusations only!), but he’s now set up for life in football and whatever we say or Watford say, with back to back promotions in this industry he’s probably made the argument that we were the problem not him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 38MC said:

But the outside investors - SL - sanctioned it and we should never forget that. 

And in reality most successful entrepreneurs do run themselves to the absolute credit limit and either get lucky or lose everything. 

I think that’s what some of us misinterpret about Mark Ashton. He’s quite the capitalist. And he speculates to accumulate, and he’s very lucky he’s in an industry where someone else will fund him. He’s not taking the credit gamble himself.

Do you know what, in his position, I think most of us would happily spend someone else’s money and hope to stumble across a winning formula.

He’s found his now. He’s rode the coattails of Kieran McKenna, spending someone else’s money, and he’s now CEO of a Premier League football club. I don’t like the way he got there, the jobs for mates, the shadier accusations of how he operated (accusations only!), but he’s now set up for life in football and whatever we say or Watford say, with back to back promotions in this industry he’s probably made the argument that we were the problem not him. 

Couldnt agree more to all. Hes just a severely unlikable guy, who did some very fairly horrific stuff to boot. 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Couldnt agree more to all. 

For me I am quite conflicted on Ashton. Again I restate I don’t like him, some of what we hear about how he acted, and the jobs for mates… but at the same time, looking at some of the players we had and how they went on to establish themselves elsewhere… I look back on that period and think actually the tools were there to sneak into the playoffs or get promoted; and a better manager than Lee Johnson - who has shown nothing since - maybe they might have done it. 

But Lee was the boss’ man until the very end. 

So, I just ponder was Mark Ashton the problem, or was it that our owner was all-in on a manager. The same owner that told us not to fall in love with players. He fell in love with a manager, and maybe Ashton didn’t feel he could tell him it was the wrong one. And when it all went tits up, the owner buggered off crying and Mark Ashton’s ‘extensive search’ could only end up with Holden as SL licked his wounds. 

I think that’s how I now look back on that period. Mark Ashton probably did give a good first team manager the tools to get this club at least into the playoffs. Our outside investor was blinkered and it had to be for a certain manager who was limited in their own abilities. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Maybe it wasn’t him who was the problem when he was here? I know he’s annoying, but he’s clearly done well at Ipswich.

His wings were clipped at Ipswich and did well for them after being put in his box. He had the keys to the kingdom here and we all know how that played out. 

If we had owners who had a keen interest, set clear objectives and a strong off-the-field structure, maybe he wouldn’t be as despised as he is here.

Basically, IMO it’s down to SL’s negligence and Ipswich’s new owner’s professionalism, ambition; call it what you will. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

TBF, it's the ONLY time (as far as I can see) in all his many positions in cubs ,that he's actually done anything !

5 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Do you reckon he interviewed himself?

MA: So, Mark. Mark Ashton has been installed as chairman. He hasn't filled this role elsewhere before, so why him? 

MA: Well, let me start by saying he is a fantastic human......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, pongo88 said:

They got Del Boy. We got the plonker.

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No. The problem was here for at least fifteen years before him.

Honestly, it's hard to take the piss when MA has taken Ipswich to the Prem whilst we remain a nondescript Champ outfit, with no real shot of going to the Prem anytime soon.

He might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he's worked wonders at Ipswich.

We could only dream of being what Ipswich currently are (or have been for that matter).

The fact some of out fanbase are pissy with Ashton, rather than the Owners of this struggling club speaks volumes about the mediocrity we have accepted over the last 20 yrs.

For a club with a fanbase our size, and the money spent, we have underachieved in the most spectacular fashion.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

8 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

The fact some of out fanbase are pissy with Ashton, rather than the Owners of this struggling club speaks volumes about the mediocrity we have accepted over the last 20 yrs.

Think it was the coming together of a given scenario - SL taking less interest, handing over responsibility to JL (but no Keith Dawe around either), who then let MA self-promote himself from COO to CEO, move Werhun into COO, etc, coupled with LJ, where any problem was met by buying or loaning in the solution.  It was a financial nightmare brewing, and was sped up by Covid, not caused by Covid.

We have attained pretty much the same levels at a fraction of the cost.

I’m glad he’s no longer here.  He took advantage.  He started down that line at Ipswich, but got reined in.  He needed reining in here, but JL couldn’t, and SL didn’t seem to mind either!

• Like 5

Our former Chief Exec is now presiding over an Ipswich Town team who are preparing for their first Premier league game in donkeys' years.

Is it now time to wonder if we've been a bit harsh, seeing as he's seemingly done (whisper it) quite a good job there?

13 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Our former Chief Exec is now presiding over an Ipswich Town team who are preparing for their first Premier league game in donkeys' years.

Is it now time to wonder if we've been a bit harsh, seeing as he's seemingly done (whisper it) quite a good job there?

Heretic!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is possible for a person to do a really  dreadful job for one club and a great job for another. That’s football.

the truth is probably somewhere in the middle but skewed by the fact that the Ipswich manager would appear an amazing one and Lee Johnson is well, not very good.

• Like 1

No. Unlike Steve, Ipswich (after the first season at least) didn't give him 'control over all day to day football activity' as the club put it at the time.

He's a perfectly good CEO but he is not the football expert he thinks he is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Behave OP.

Between him, LJ and a horrendous lack of oversight we were nearly sunk. We had to downsize drastically and show severe restraint for 18-24 months.

Only in Summer 2023 were we coming out the other side. NP and his team plus Gould did a sterling job to right the ship and set us in the right direction again.

Ashton well if you throw a lot of mud around, some will eventually stick. You keep rolling a dice eventually it'll work once.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Saborios Socks said:

The biggest mistake we made was not backing Cotterill the year we got promoted. Riding the crest of a wave with a very good championship squad.

Do you think the £8m bids put in for Andre Grey and Dwight Gayle were done without the Lansdown's permission? He was given a budget and he chose to target players beyond us.

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1