IGNORED

Dave Rennie Interview

Gazred

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/fitter-faster-stronger-the-city-way/

Really interesting watch.

Goes into some detail regarding fitness programs, loading and injury prevention. Some interesting graphs showing improvement on last season in there as well.

Certainly inspires confidence that the players fitness and performance is in good hands.

Worth 15 mins of your time.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Goes into some detail regarding fitness programs, loading and injury prevention. Some interesting graphs showing improvement on last season in there as well.

Certainly inspires confidence that the players fitness and performance is in good hands.

Graphs? @Davefevsis going to be all over this

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Gazred said:

We’re in good hands at last …

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Dave when he sees the first post of this thread:

F290CABE-7CFC-46EE-82A2-D05CD42CDAB9.jpeg

… as will @Davefevs be very soon. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Thought the same as well, on the point of the box plot graphs it shows good progress, especially on the hamstring metric as well.

Hopefully puts us in a good place later on in the season when we typically fizzle off. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

image.thumb.png.5b685f8b46249de8bf97fb9e40e33ed9.png

Would not have thought Nige was the kind of guy to tolerate Comic Sans being used at the Club...but yet here we all are.

Pretty disappointing that you can’t click on the dots to see which player is which!!! ???

Was only recently I mentioned box plots and whiskers and here they are!

Comic Sans is unforgivable though.

• Like 1

I’m only asking the question, but what are peoples opinions of our current injury situation?

Im not a physio so just asking an honest question. Are they different kinds of injury to last year? Is 7/8 out injured normal for a championship team? 

Edited by 054123

7 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I’m only asking the question, but what are peoples opinions of our current injury situation?

Im not a physio so just asking an honest question. Are they different kinds of injury to last year? Is 7/8 out injured normal for a championship team? 

Biggest issue last year was the rehab and reintroduction of injured players. Essentially we seemed to rehab poorly, and reintroduce too early, and so we had players get recurring or new injuries. Williams probable the most egregious example.

This season, and I note that the season is just 11 league games old, we seem to be doing better in this regard. Williams came back, got a knock in the FGR game, and then was managed back so that now (touch wood) he seems able to play consistently. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Nor me.  My gut feel is that we are being really cautious when players do get injuries.

I wasn’t all-in on Rolls being negligent like some, although I do subscribe to the view that they got pre-season wrong last summer.  Orme admitted as such, and that caused lots of probs.

You are always gonna get injuries, contact and muscle, it’s the nature of the game.

For me the proof will be two things:

- length of time out

- re-occurrence or not

Its easy to look at O’Dowda (contact injury on opening day) and see 7 league games missed (not in 18), but we’ve also been told that he didn’t make the 18 despite being available according to Nige, so it’s more like 5 games.

With Williams they’ve taken it steady after FGR where he suffered a set-back, but they look like they’ve got it right getting him through 25+ mins off the bench v Fulham, 65+ v Millwall where he cramped up to 90+ v Peterborough all within a week.

So, early days, but encouraging signs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strength and power ( ..and speed) how long have some of us been shouting that out as being key physical attributes for this league. Music to my ears.

Just a little bit concerned though about the increasing level of our injuries and on-field delivery of the benefits. Some games we’ve looked leggy and Atkinson’s recovery runs remind me of Flint sometimes. The likes of Bakinson clearly needs to be switched on to ‘full power mode’  before he enters the field of play.

Early days though and the direction of travel set by Big Nige appears fine. 

The number of injuries isn't the question, you take each injury in isolation and look how it happened etc, look at Conway for example, a freak incident of landing the wrong way after jumping. You're very lucky if you go through a season without a bunch of injuries occurring at once in a squad. Everything Rennie's talking about with test scores all being higher than last season can only be good. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

IIRC it was roughly this time last season that the wheels started coming off. The injuries began to compound and we began a death spiral that ultimately saw Holden et al depart.

We lost Williams, Watkins and Baker pre-season (Walsh was injured pre-Covid return). We barely saw them all season, a few apps each.

We lost Mawson long term v Middlesbrough (game 6).  He returned (game 23) but then crocked again (game 28).

We lost Sessegnon and Weimann long term v Swansea (Game 7), Kalas returned from collarbone that game having been injured in cup v Northampton.

Nagy, Dasilva and O’Dowda started to return at this point.

Paterson was then struggling by game 13.  Dasilva season over by game 16 and Brunt by game 19, subsequently calling time on his career.  O’Dowda had a Boxing Day (game 21) to forget.

Chris Martin got to Derby (game 26) before his season over.

• Thanks 1

What an insightful interview - so very different from last season under Rolls. I can see why Rennie was wanted by Nige having formed  a formidable pair with him at Leicester.

It really is terrific to see our club being run by well established professionals at long last - long overdue I might add.

The more I think about it the more angry I feel at the shambles created by Ashton and LJ……but I have to “accept the things that I cannot change”……….:dunno:

• Like 6

There were a couple of things that Rennie mentioned that I had to google. I therefore present a brief glossary that may be of use to others:

Posterior Chain - The posterior chain refers to all the muscles on the backside of the body from the back of your head all the way down to your heels, including your hamstrings, glutes, calves, lats, rotator cuff muscles, and erector spinae muscles (the muscles that run down either side of your spine).

KBox - The kBox is a series of premium devices for flywheel training, based on sound scientific support. The latest generation of the kBox comes in three different models, namely the kBox4 Active, kBox4 Lite and kBox4 Pro. https://exxentric.com/products/kbox/

cb-kbox4-active.jpg

Nordic - Kneel down, cross your arms over your chest, get your Mrs to hold your ankles, then lean forward whilst holding your body (from the knee up) dead straight. Ludicrously hard.

RDL - I assume he means a Romanian Deadlift. Get a nice big Olympic bar, stick about 40kg or more on each end. Wide grip, stand tall, slight bend in the knee and lower the bar down to half way down your shin, keeping it close to your shins as you do so and sticking your arse out. Cracking hamstring strengthener. Everyone should do them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The only one I understood was the posterior chain!  Never seen or heard of the Nordic before - looks easy but I’m sure it’s not.

It’s definitely not easy especially to stay in position and go as low as the players do before dropping

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Pretty disappointing that you can’t click on the dots to see which player is which!!! ???

Was only recently I mentioned box plots and whiskers and here they are!

Comic Sans is unforgivable though.

That's what I thought I wanted to know who the outliers were on the robustness plots.  We could have had a side bet on that.

5 hours ago, CiderJar said:

I just watched the video and Rennie has an air about him that just seems to command respect. Softly spoken and knowledgeable, but I wouldn't want to be the player who didn't do the work he was being asked to do by Rennie.

Have you noticed the slightly sinister smile / half-chuckle when he mentions how hard training is.  Love it! ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Well done the club and media team for giving these insights. It really does help get us, the fans on side too.Building that connection. The interview itself is fascinating for someone looking in like me. I'm sure it is the same at many clubs, but it does look like we are increasing our levels  in this area. All part of the set up needed to get us to the Prem.  As DR explained in the Prem you have to have explosive power. We might not yet have the players in the squad, but at least in this area we actually now know the requirements for a Prem football side. Big progress. This side will get better and better this season. 

PS There is one player clearly miles off both in pre season and now in terms of performance if you look at the graphs. Britton ? 

Don’t think Louis has been part of the pre-season 1st team training squad….so I don’t know if he went through the same regime or not.  Nige has mentioned he wouldn’t be able to handle the intensity of first team training.

I hope Louis takes it all on board.

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t think Louis has been part of the pre-season 1st team training squad….so I don’t know if he went through the same regime or not.  Nige has mentioned he wouldn’t be able to handle the intensity of first team training.

I hope Louis takes it all on board.

Yep, Nige said fairly recently that Britton “isn’t Championship fit” which may say more about Britton’s attitude than anything else.

If LB wants to feature in the first team squad then he seriously needs to increase his fitness or ‘loading’ stats.

Edited by Robbored

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Yep, Nige said fairly recently that Britton “isn’t Championship fit” which may say more about Britton’s attitude than anything else.

If LB wants to feature in the first team squad then he seriously needs to increase his fitness or ‘loading’ stats.

I'm not sure I agree there RR.

I think he is referring to him not being robust enough / physically mature enough. In my experience that is something that can be nurtured over a spell of time if managed properly. My feeling is that if Nige feels / felt that Britton had a questionable attitude then he'd have no future at City in any case.

• Like 1

Must agree one of the most insightful interview the club have put out.  Again it was reinforced how much the player are expected to get fully involved in their training, and the see how they compare with each other.  Team not individual's seems to be the  message, long may it last.

• Like 1

⬇️⬇️⬇️

14 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I'm not sure I agree there RR.

I think he is referring to him not being robust enough / physically mature enough. In my experience that is something that can be nurtured over a spell of time if managed properly. My feeling is that if Nige feels / felt that Britton had a questionable attitude then he'd have no future at City in any case.

Agree, there is nothing to suggest that Britton’s attitude is poor….but his fitness is.  He’s come from Mangotsfield Utd, so not been through Academy full-time training until he joined here.  His 30 months here will have improved his fitness but he’s playing catch-up.

16 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Cundy ? Doubt it would be anyone that plays . 

….and he was coming back from injury too.  Like Britton, another “late to the pro-game” and much older too.

8 hours ago, CiderJar said:

I just watched the video and Rennie has an air about him that just seems to command respect. Softly spoken and knowledgeable, but I wouldn't want to be the player who didn't do the work he was being asked to do by Rennie.

I'm amazed that nobody came back to me with

"I didn't get where I am today without doing the work I was asked to do by Dr Rennie"
    "Yes CJ. Sorry CJ"

"My sentence construction is not at it's best at 5am"
    "Yes CJ"

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Agree, there is nothing to suggest that Britton’s attitude is poor….but his fitness is.  He’s come from Mangotsfield Utd, so not been through Academy full-time training until he joined here.  His 30 months here will have improved his fitness but he’s playing catch-up.

….and he was coming back from injury too.  Like Britton, another “late to the pro-game” and much older too.

What age is Britton? around 20/21 at a guess. He’s not a boy anymore and if he applies himself 100% to the fitness regime he’ll beef up in much the same way HNM has - that’s why I questioned his attitude.

That said I take the point that he’s someway behind the others in terms of previous training.

Could we’ll be a case of “watch this space”

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What age is Britton? around 20/21 at a guess. He’s not a boy anymore and if he applies himself 100% to the fitness regime he’ll beef up in much the same way HNM has - that’s why I questioned his attitude.

That said I take the point that he’s someway behind the others in terms of previous training.

"Louis Sidney Britton (born 17 March 2001) is an English professional footballer who plays as a forward for Bristol City."
Wikipedia

Edited by CiderJar
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Have you seen Britton?  It’s not beefing up that’s needed.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Have you seen Britton?  It’s not beefing up that’s needed.

Absolutely, some people seem to equate fitness to size, but as Rennie explains there is so much more to it than that. The "explosiveness" required to be at a top level is harder to come by. A good example I can think of in another sport was Frank Bruno, his coach said that because he had not been taught properly as a youngster, he had to work really hard at teaching him to use all of his body when punching. He said that if he could get him to use all of his power, no one in first 3 rows around the ring would be safe. Also he compensated for that lack of technique by adding so much muscle that it was hard for him to deliver combination punches over multiple rounds, due to the amount of oxygen required, which in turn made him vulnerable to a good punch himself. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Absolutely, some people seem to equate fitness to size, but as Rennie explains there is so much more to it than that. The "explosiveness" required to be at a top level is harder to come by. A good example I can think of in another sport was Frank Bruno, his coach said that because he had not been taught properly as a youngster, he had to work really hard at teaching him to use all of his body when punching. He said that if he could get him to use all of his power, no one in first 3 rows around the ring would be safe. Also he compensated for that lack of technique by adding so much muscle that it was hard for him to deliver combination punches over multiple rounds, due to the amount of oxygen required, which in turn made him vulnerable to a good punch himself. 

My uneducated view of things like your Bruno example is how I view David James (pre-City)….he became so “ripped” I thought he lost agility.

Just like Massengo, looking more muscly on post-Covid return, but looked a bit heavy legged, whilst still adjusting to his new frame.

I think you understand this stuff far better than me from previous posts on the subject.

• Like 1

As an aside, that’s a really odd photo in the background.  It’s one half the Lansdown stand and one half the old Williams stand with the Golden Virginia tabocco ad, except the stand looks far too big to be the Williams.

Who are  the figures in front of the dug out? which also looks like it’s from yesteryear.

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nor me.  My gut feel is that we are being really cautious when players do get injuries.

I wasn’t all-in on Rolls being negligent like some, although I do subscribe to the view that they got pre-season wrong last summer.  Orme admitted as such, and that caused lots of probs.

You are always gonna get injuries, contact and muscle, it’s the nature of the game.

For me the proof will be two things:

- length of time out

- re-occurrence or not

Its easy to look at O’Dowda (contact injury on opening day) and see 7 league games missed (not in 18), but we’ve also been told that he didn’t make the 18 despite being available according to Nige, so it’s more like 5 games.

With Williams they’ve taken it steady after FGR where he suffered a set-back, but they look like they’ve got it right getting him through 25+ mins off the bench v Fulham, 65+ v Millwall where he cramped up to 90+ v Peterborough all within a week.

So, early days, but encouraging signs.

Rolls is obviously a trained professional so I don't believe he was as negligent as people say but, as you say, things obviously went wrong last season. For me the major alarm bell last season wasn't just the number of injuries but the number of times players got injuries that, on the face of it, seemed minor and likely to lead to a couple of weeks out but where the return times just seems to extend. Williams and Walsh, in particular, seemed to be initially ruled out for four to five games and ultimately missed the bulk of the season.

Clearly we'll never know what went on behind the scenes but, exactly like you, I'm less worried about the number of individual injuries as the amount of time players miss and the number of times an injury recurs. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Malago said:

As an aside, that’s a really odd photo in the background.  It’s one half the Lansdown stand and one half the old Williams stand with the Golden Virginia tabocco ad, except the stand looks far too big to be the Williams.

Who are  the figures in front of the dug out? which also looks like it’s from yesteryear.

It's the mural under the Lansdown Stand, the full thing shows how that area of the ground has developed over the years, it's really well done.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Rolls is obviously a trained professional so I don't believe he was as negligent as people say but, as you say, things obviously went wrong last season. For me the major alarm bell last season wasn't just the number of injuries but the number of times players got injuries that, on the face of it, seemed minor and likely to lead to a couple of weeks out but where the return times just seems to extend. Williams and Walsh, in particular, seemed to be initially ruled out for four to five games and ultimately missed the bulk of the season.

Clearly we'll never know what went on behind the scenes but, exactly like you, I'm less worried about the number of individual injuries as the amount of time players miss and the number of times an injury recurs. 

I read that Rolls had a similar injury list when at Arsenal…..two clubs that had the same issue?………….:cool2:

Be no surprise if the same injury list starts to happen at Ipswich.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

My uneducated view of things like your Bruno example is how I view David James (pre-City)….he became so “ripped” I thought he lost agility.

Just like Massengo, looking more muscly on post-Covid return, but looked a bit heavy legged, whilst still adjusting to his new frame.

I think you understand this stuff far better than me from previous posts on the subject.

If you saw me Dave you would know that it's a subject I have an interest in but have constantly failed to apply to my own development.☺️

Regarding the difference between Rolls and Rennie, the biggest thing sounded like the way he works recovery. Rolls often spoke about "easing people back" where as Rennie talks about applying the same high intensity to recovery as they do to training. 

To my mind Rolls approach sounds like the sort of approach one would apply to a normal person off the street, Rennie's is taking into account the superior overall fitness of elite athletes.

Edited by Port Said Red

48 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I read that Rolls had a similar injury list when at Arsenal…..two clubs that had the same issue?………….:cool2:

Be no surprise if the same injury list starts to happen at Ipswich.

For about the 26th time, Rolls wasn't head of department at Arsenal and therefore didn't set the regime 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agree, there is nothing to suggest that Britton’s attitude is poor….but his fitness is.  He’s come from Mangotsfield Utd, so not been through Academy full-time training until he joined here.  His 30 months here will have improved his fitness but he’s

Let’s cut Louis some slack as got injured in last u23 game v Brum and wasn’t at Loughborough due to it.  Had to start behind everyone else & fitness improving by the day but agree it needs to improve and is.   Why people suggest attitude issues is beyond me without any knowledge.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Let’s cut Louis some slack as got injured in last u23 game v Brum and wasn’t at Loughborough due to it.  Had to start behind everyone else & fitness improving by the day but agree it needs to improve and is.   Why people suggest attitude issues is beyond me without any knowledge.

So agree.

• Like 1

As an elder City fan who is quick to remember and praise the nostalgia of my young days in the late 1940's and 1950's, this is an astonishing example of how special training on Weston Beach and players who smoked 20 a day has developed into the present day.

It's easy to say that Pearson may take us to the Premier League but we should never forget those people in the background and their modern methods that are making it a real possibility. My great respects to Rennie, all the other backroom specialists an NP. Hoping that Nigel makes a full recovery from his latest bout of Covid. What a manager of people he is. Always WE and never ME.

• Like 2

• Admin
51 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Are we sure it's actually him in the graph though? 

Could it possibly be anyone else? 

12 hours ago, billywedlock said:

There is one player clearly miles off both in pre season and now in terms of performance if you look at the graphs. Britton ? 

Not sure we know for certain that it's the same player at the bottom of the graph in both pre-season and then the second graph.

It's reasonable to suspect that it might be...but it could be that one guy really caught up with the pack, and another dropped off badly.

It’s good that we have moved away from an era where players had fish and chips for lunch before a game, a couple of ciggies at halftime and a pint of milk at the end of the match.

Rennie obviously knows his stuff and it’s good to see a professional approach to fitness with technology and data.

But I do wonder if things are starting to get over-complicated with too much fine detail possibly clouding the bigger picture. Players may start to avoid taking a risk in a game (the sort of thing that can make a game exciting to watch) because they know it may affect their performance statistics.

There is such a thing as paralysis by analysis.

• Hmmm 1

Still getting used to the fact that we have experienced, knowledgable, high quality professionals in charge at our club who speak in a language we can all understand, clearly and concisely and with the confidence that they know what they are doing and that it will produce results.  Such a relief to know the club is in such good hands as we now go forwards and it must instil great belief and confidence in the players.  Exciting times.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, phantom said:

Are we sure it's actually him in the graph though? 

Could it possibly be anyone else? 

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No we are not.  2+2 stuff, as usual.

20 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Not sure we know for certain that it's the same player at the bottom of the graph in both pre-season and then the second graph.

It's reasonable to suspect that it might be...but it could be that one guy really caught up with the pack, and another dropped off badly.

I had a thought on this. It could be Alex Scott. 

As a player who is likely still to have some growth, they may not "load" him at adult levels. Developing muscle in young players before they are fully grown can have adverse skeletal effects.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Watched it and found it really interesting. I presume a lot of it is par for the course though as otherwise we’d be giving away our state secrets!

As Rennie says, it's a regime taikored for the way Pearson likes his teams to play, other Managers will have different thoughts and requirements, and other performance specialists will have different ideas for producing the results. 

The most important thing is getting the buy in from the players, especially if they are insisting on them taking personal responsibility.