IGNORED

Downsy

Henry

12 minutes ago, Henry said:
If a straight male club employee, made a similar post about the ladies team, would this be okay?

From my experience of following the women's team, and women's football overall, there usually isn't any content from the dressing rooms, or at least the players dressed down like of that in the Bears clip above.

Downsy is a good role model for the LGBTQIA+ community, especially in sport

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

From my experience of following the women's team, and women's football overall, there usually isn't any content from the dressing rooms, or at least the players dressed down like of that in the Bears clip above.

Nothing to do with his sexuality.

Its a Bristol Sport employee drooling over players. He has form for being inappropriate 

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Henry said:

If a straight male club employee, made a similar post about the ladies team, would this be okay?

weird bloke

Are you only complaining because you wish you were in dressing room too? Sandwiches between the king of southmead and a tub of vicks vaporub?

Rugby professionals are always banging on a bout their Rigs! 

Seems like you’re a bit of a Karen who gets offended on behalf of other people when in reality there’s nothing to get offended by!

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Strange isn't it. I have had several chats with him over the last few years, both here in Portishead and at the ground and I never realised. It's never come up in conversation, I guess because it's totally unimportant.

Absolutely 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Strange isn't it. I have had several chats with him over the last few years, both here in Portishead and at the ground and I never realised. It's never come up in conversation, I guess because it's totally unimportant.

I only ask because (a) I didn’t know and (b) it was the only way in my head I could make the original post make any sense!

• Like 4

On 30/10/2021 at 18:11, shahanshahan said:

Interested in your opinion on this as a big follower of the ladies team - do you think the tweet is appropriate from Downsy? I know it's just emojis but it's obvious what he's implying. 

If, theoretically, there was similar footage of the ladies team - it would clearly be inappropriate if an employee did something similar in response wouldn't it?

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interested in your opinion on this as a big follower of the ladies team - do you think the tweet is appropriate from Downsy? I know it's just emojis but it's obvious what he's implying. 

If, theoretically, there was similar footage of the ladies team - it would clearly be inappropriate if an employee did something similar in response wouldn't it?

Thank you - I’m surprised others didn’t understand.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I can only assume the tweet with the emojis has been taken out of context, as the main focus is the video of the Bears singing Blackbird after a game, which they usually do whether it's on the pitch or in the dressing room. Also, I don't know if he's technically an employee as he's freelance, or at least he is for his other work in radio etc.

If I had a serious problem with a tweet like this, I'd reply to them directly to clarify, to be honest

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

I can only assume the tweet with the emojis has been taken out of context, as the main focus is the video of the Bears singing Blackbird after a game, which they usually do whether it's on the pitch or in the dressing room. Also, I don't know if he's technically an employee as he's freelance, or at least he is for his other work in radio etc.

If I had a serious problem with a tweet like this, I'd reply to them directly to clarify, to be honest

No, I think it's pretty obvious what the emojis mean in that context.

I don't think anyone here has a 'serious problem' with the tweet - just raising a valid question about whether its appropriate and whether there are double standards. 

In terms of overall equality that we all (right?) strive for, no it probably isn't appropriate - however to use it as a stick to beat the feminism cause (or equality cause lets say) is wrong. Mis steps in the strive for equality does not give old fashioned values regarding woman the right to continue

• Like 1

Guys it’s pretty obvious what Henry was saying, and that tweet isn’t suitable for someone employed by Bristol sport.

Downsy homosexuality doesn’t come into play here in the context really, if he tweeted unsuitable emojis for women players it still wouldn’t be suitable. 

Or is this ok as they are male, so sexual harassment etc doesn’t count?  

Or is it ok, as downsy is a homosexual male and they are male also? 

Looking at one of his replies to his tweet when someone put “deary me downsy”,

he put 

“sorry babes. You’re just not my type” . 

@JerrySLO Is this really suitable from a Bristol sport employee to be sexualising other employees? 

Edited by S25loyal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

In terms of overall equality that we all (right?) strive for, no it probably isn't appropriate - however to use it as a stick to beat the feminism cause (or equality cause lets say) is wrong. Mis steps in the strive for equality does not give old fashioned values regarding woman the right to continue

I didn’t see it as a stick to beat the equality cause - quite the opposite. Seems more like a complaint about hypocrisy, ie the attitudes that straight men have been rightly condemned for, now seem fair game from women and gay men. We should all be judged by the same criteria, surely, in the name of equality?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s undoubtedly inappropriate, but I’m not offended by it. 

If it were semi naked women in the same scenario there would be outrage.

Why should it make any difference is it’s a men or women in the video? 

What Leveller has said is completely correct, is a tweet like that on as downsy is a gay male? 

If the presenter of robins tv during home games, I can’t remember his name, tweeted a picture of a female player with emojis that wouldn’t be ok, would it?

1 minute ago, S25loyal said:

Why should it make any difference is it’s a men or women in the video? 

What Leveller has said is completely correct, is a tweet like that on as downsy is a gay male? 

If the presenter of robins tv during home games, I can’t remember his name, tweeted a picture of a female player with emojis that wouldn’t be ok, would it?

No, it’s completely inappropriate. If he’d just shared the video, it would’ve been fine. It’s the emoji use that objectifies*

*I don’t necessarily care mind, but many would if a few role reversals were made. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

Guys it’s pretty obvious what Henry was saying, and that tweet isn’t suitable for someone employed by Bristol sport.

Downsy homosexuality doesn’t come into play here in the context really, if he tweeted unsuitable emojis for women players it still wouldn’t be suitable. 

Or is this ok as they are male, so sexual harassment etc doesn’t count?  

Or is it ok, as downsy is a homosexual male and they are male also? 

Looking at one of his replies to his tweet when someone put “deary me downsy”,

he put 

“sorry babes. You’re just not my type” . 

@JerrySLO Is this really suitable from a Bristol sport employee to be sexualising other employees? 

Why are you so offended by this? Genuine question.

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Why are you so offended by this? Genuine question.

Offended isn’t the correct word, how can any employee (free lancing or not), openly sexualise other employees or anyone for that matter to be suitable? 

If you did the same to female employees (or male if you are that way inclined) at your work, how would that go down? 

• Confused 1

On 30/10/2021 at 18:11, shahanshahan said:

How many more letters are going to be added?  It's getting silly.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Is anyone else still really confused or is it just me.

What do the emojis that Downsey has used mean, and why does someone retweeting someone else's content become inappropriate?

The emoji use has more than an undertone of sexual objectification… a good defence would be that they were a lot of hot sweaty men who’d just finished a game of rugby, it wouldnt necessarily be a defence I’d believe however!

Please note however, I take no offence, I’m merely answering your question. 

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

What do the emojis that Downsey has used mean, and why does someone retweeting someone else's content become inappropriate?

Those emoji's are commonly used to show a kind of sweating brow. When used under a picture of a model in a bikini say it would mean the user thinks the image/person is attractive/sexy.

So used in this context by Downsy it seems entirely inappropriate for a person in a position of 'power'.

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just a standard overreaction by some on here. Pathetic really.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The emoji is often used to communicate that you think someone is attractive. So in the context it seems that Downsey is saying that about the rugby players. 

I think some people are frustrated because they feel that if a straight male employee did the same thing about female Bristol Sport athlete's the straight employee's post would be challenged on it more seriously. 

However, I doubt many men are actually offended by Downsy being attracted to the rugby players, as I think @Fordy62 is saying. 

Edited by CheddarReds
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Cheers.. Ill let him know that.. What about the  plus sign at the end hes just asked though... 

tell your friend, it means anyone else who doesn’t fit into any of the categories that the letters stand for. At least that’s what I think it means. 

On 30/10/2021 at 17:58, Henry said:

weird bloke

The bloke is a cringey tool to be fair but in this instance I can’t really see what you are getting at but hey ho..

12 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

The emoji is often used to communicate that you think someone is attractive. So in the context it seems that Downsey is saying that about the rugby players. 

I think some people are frustrated because they feel that if a straight male employee did the same thing about female Bristol Sport athlete's the straight employee's post would be challenged on it more seriously. 

However, I doubt many men are actually offended by Downsy being attracted to the rugby players, as I think @Fordy62 is saying. 

Hasn’t this hit the nail on the head though, how does/did he know it’s offensive to the players or other people will find it offensive? 

Its the same as joey with his holocaust comments, its pretty clear he didn’t mean it in that context but he shouldn’t of said it to begin with. 

1 minute ago, bris red said:

The bloke is a cringey tool to be fair but in this instance I can’t really see what you are getting at but hey ho..

Other people have explained it as well, several times on this thread. It’s fine to disagree ?

• Like 1

On 30/10/2021 at 17:58, Henry said:

weird bloke

With you on this. If this was directed at the womens team, it would be deemed inappropriate.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s undoubtedly inappropriate, but I’m not offended by it

If it were semi naked women in the same scenario there would be outrage.

Nor am i - but the standards should be the same both ways no? if he did the same towards the womens team, he'd be gone.

• Like 5

Thanks for the replies.

Okay, so I (one) now know a bit more about emoticons, and (two) care no more or less than I did originally.

All told, I think I have wasted not just my time, but some of yours as well!

Good win for the Bears on the weekend, celebrated by many people in a number of different ways.

• Haha 3

I couldn't care less to be honest, whether it's about his sexuality or the actual post/tweet.

There's a lot of people getting offended on behalf of other people, but in this day and age I can't say I'm overly surprised.

Is it really that different though to a video of a promotion winning team celebrating in the dressing rooms afterwards? The times we've seen that through the years with players running around in their pants, there is no comparison really.

The suggestive comments from Downsy however, probably in hindsight shouldn't have been included. If it weren't for those, I doubt much would be being mentioned about it.

10 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Without meaning to cause any offense what on earth is intersex and asexual?

A) Consider themselves a bit male and a bit female  B) Consider themselves to have no gender and are not interested in physical sex.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Taz said:

I couldn't care less to be honest, whether it's about his sexuality or the actual post/tweet.

There's a lot of people getting offended on behalf of other people, but in this day and age I can't say I'm overly surprised.

Is it really that different though to a video of a promotion winning team celebrating in the dressing rooms afterwards? The times we've seen that through the years with players running around in their pants, there is no comparison really.

The suggestive comments from Downsy however, probably in hindsight shouldn't have been included. If it weren't for those, I doubt much would be being mentioned about it.

Your last part, of course it wouldn’t be, as he wouldn’t be sexualising other employees/humans. 

You are basically saying, it’s fine for a male to do that on other males, but not males on other females etc. 

First off, what Downsy has done is inappropriate. It is inappropriate for a member of staff/representative of the club to be or appear to be sexualising other employees. Absolutely no doubt on that.

However I completely disagree that him doing this is identical to if a male member of staff did it to female athletes/sportswomen. There are two key differences.

1) Generally speaking, male athletes/sportsmen tend to be talked about in the media and on social media in terms of their ability and merit whereas there is a long history of female athletes in the media or social media being talked about primarily in terms of their attractiveness with their sporting ability being ignored or trivialised. Yes, Downsy is objectifying male athletes but he isn't contributing to a continual narrative of sportswomen's achievements being trivialised or ignored in the way that people are when they objectify women.

2) As we've seen in US Gymnastics, US Football and in aspects of the women's game here, there is a long and unfortunate history of female athletes being exploited or abused by male coaches or other employees. A female footballer who is leered at (in person or on social media) by a male employee has utterly reasonable grounds to fear for her own safety as that male employee may well be bigger than her and able to physically assault her if she is alone with them. The rugby players may find Downsy's comments uncomfortable or inappropriate - and should of course complain if they do so - but is unlikely any of them will physically fear Downsy, which a sportswoman might reasonably do.

I absolutely agree someone should remind Downsy of the expectations for a member of staff and, if a member of the rugby team chose to complain, that should be taken seriously. But I think drawing a direct equivalence to lewd comments made about women ignores both the actual level of physical danger women may feel when drooled over by men and also the historical exploitation and oppression that plays into. Neither are right but nor are they equivalent. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

7 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Thanks for the explanation.

Although to be honest it raises more questions than it answers!

Well I'm sure 99.9% of us knew what we were from an early age.  For me, I had a flash of inspiration at the age of 8 in Backwell Primary School playing field: "Why am I running from the girls in kiss chase? I WANT to be caught by them. Especially that Louise Owen!!"

There are people who find things not so clear cut however. Not so binary.  Different strokes for different blokes, n'all that. 

Edited by Red-Robbo

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well I'm sure 99.9% of us knew what we were from an early age.  For me, I had a flash of inspiration at the age of 8 in Backwell Primary School playing field: "Why am I running from the girls in kiss chase? I WANT to be caught by them. Especially that Louise Owen!!"

There are people who find things not so clear cut however. Not so binary.  Different strokes for different blokes, n'all that. 

psmf-watcha-talking-about-willis.jpg

• Haha 5

Looking forward to a similar video from the womens team changing rooms. That is if Bristol Sport deem Downsys post to be ok. Like many have said, if we are striving for equality, thats exactly what it has to be

Had my arse pinched by a female colleague at the photocopier last week. Didnt bother me in the slightest. Was just workmates mucking about. Would i think of doing it myself, not a chance as I know the shitstorm it could potentially create

28 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

Looking forward to a similar video from the womens team changing rooms. That is if Bristol Sport deem Downsys post to be ok. Like many have said, if we are striving for equality, thats exactly what it has to be

Had my arse pinched by a female colleague at the photocopier last week. Didnt bother me in the slightest. Was just workmates mucking about. Would i think of doing it myself, not a chance as I know the shitstorm it could potentially create

Alright no need to show off 

• Haha 7