IGNORED

Derby County at home match-day thread

Jerseybean

Alex Scott. His discipline, control and skill set are exceptional for a teenager, particularly in an unfamiliar role. That and Massengos energy levels and Atkinsons composure were the things that stood out for me today. The future looks brighter.

• Like 10

Just now, TomF said:

We're digging games out, while still not playing great.  It may not be pretty but its better than losing/drawing in last seconds of games. Keep on picking up points till we get to Jan and a few loans to strengthen areas.  We seem to show glipses of what Nigel is trying to achieve, at last.

It`s a psychological thing. Winning while playing poorly still gets confidence up.

• Like 2

Just now, TomF said:

We're digging games out, while still not playing great.  It may not be pretty but its better than losing/drawing in last seconds of games. Keep on picking up points till we get to Jan and a few loans to strengthen areas.  We seem to show glipses of what Nigel is trying to achieve, at last.

Yep and look as if we’re trying to do the right things a lot of the time, just failing a bit too often. A slightly better press and significantly better passing/ball retention needed to help us avoid being out on our feet in the last 15 of every game. We had the better chances overall and should have been out of sight. Still restricted them to not much, despite some very panicked play later on, which think is fatigue as much as lack of composure.  

• Like 1

Be glad that we won and we are 10 points clear of that place that would ruin our Christmas.

I will take a few wins like that. This season is about surviving and maybe making a few boundaries in our team to prepare for the next.

Edited by Mihai
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

Indeed! 10 points clear of the drop aswell.. the bottom 3 are starting to get cut adrift which is happy days!!

10 pts less we'd be in the bottom tree. Ten points more we'd be in the play off places. NP told us mid table this season and we're getting it.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, TomF said:

What's the point of loans in a midtable season? Save the dosh for permanents in the summer surely

• Like 2

This season is going as expected. It will be slog  and not be pretty to watch but it looks unlikely we will go down. We are playing poorly but still 3 points off 9 th place . Feel calm after that result. Home form is decent now but away form has gone to pot. 

• Like 1

A good & very welcome win! 

Still very concerning that, again, we have around 30% possession in games - it's simply not good enough and invites pressure & problems - that need rectifying ASAP. 

A good with though, so can't complain too much, but stats also need to improve to build some momentum. 

Every 3 points are massive at the moment. Get safety guaranteed ASAP and then build from there. 

• Like 1

Just now, TomF said:

I think we need cover for Martin. We don't have anyone else who can hold the ball up and at times he's not very good at it anyway.  I guess we were spoilt with how well Fam used to do it. 

Not sure we ever fully appreciated Fam TBH.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Padlad said:

This season is going as expected. It will be slog  and not be pretty to watch but it looks unlikely we will go down. We are playing poorly but still 3 points off 9 th place . Feel calm after that result. Home form is decent now but away form has gone to pot. 

Agreed.  My aspirations for this season were a 14th-18th finish whilst avoiding getting dragged into a relegation dogfight.  So far, so good.

We’ve still only ‘won’ one 2nd half this season, think this has to be linked to lack of possession meaning we run out of steam due to chasing around so much, which is linked to composure and ability to make passes (both passer and receiver) accurately and quickly. Whilst I get why Benarous was left out after Sheff Utd, him and Scott need to be the way forward, as both able to hold the ball, make a pass, milk a free kick. But overall appears as if there are 3 teams much worse than the rest, so we should be fine, feels weird that we’re closer to play offs than relegation. 

Edited by The Swan and Cemetery
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 22A said:

They ain't happy; https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/38769-bristol-city-a-matchday-thread/page/14/#comments

As always after a City win, the opponents reckon  they were unlucky or had an off day.

Ought to get their players to speed up the throw ins then!

Of course Derby would know nothing about time wasting or "game management "!

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Add in Luton and Blackpool..........................................

Blackpool I agree, although I thought, despite their frustrating late equaliser, a draw against Luton was probably a fair result overall.

The one that really annoyed was the defeat at home to swansea, when we completely dominated them. 

• Like 3

Caught the last 15 minutes, nervy as hell.  But if we’d have played well and lost, we’d have all be saying performance means nothing….so 3 points, distancing ourselves by an extra 3 points from relegation, up a place, with mid-table in touching distance.

Whobwere the stand outs….the square peg in a round hole getting the all-important goal?

Good to see James make the 18 and get 25 mins.  Hopefully means we don’t have to rush King either, although he might be ok next week.

Good crowd 18,732.

Was it a front 3 or Weimann in the “hole”.

Rovers in the cup, or Shrewsbury?

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

….and breathe.

Another three very welcome points to the cause. Even better, decent comments from opposition fans… we’re apparently ‘bang average’. Delighted.

Well done Nige, onwards and upwards. 

Theyre about to find out how bang average travelling to the delights of L1 is though! ?
It seems perhaps their accountants are the ‘bang average’ aspect of DCFC though. Cheerio you fookers!  ?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, 22A said:

They ain't happy; https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/38769-bristol-city-a-matchday-thread/page/14/#comments

As always after a City win, the opponents reckon  they were unlucky or had an off day.

The champagne of victory: Reading other teams forums and sucking up the sadness as if by osmosis. 

UTFC

• Like 1

Slightly surprised at some of the negative comments on here tonight. First half, I thought we saw how Nige wants us to play. Yes, they had more possession, but we looked easily the most threatening, even (particularly) when they had the ball. It reminded me of the Leicester title winning team. Second half, energy levels dropped off, but our shape was generally solid. I don't remember them having a clear cut chance all game. Thought the subs all did pretty well. Personally, would have gone for Benarous for Martin instead of James for Bakinson, but understand Nige's thinking. Overall, I think it was a decent performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Caught the last 15 minutes, nervy as hell.  But if we’d have played well and lost, we’d have all be saying performance means nothing….so 3 points, distancing ourselves by an extra 3 points from relegation, up a place, with mid-table in touching distance.

Whobwere the stand outs….the square peg in a round hole getting the all-important goal?

Good to see James make the 18 and get 25 mins.  Hopefully means we don’t have to rush King either, although he might be ok next week.

Good crowd 18,732.

Arsenal at home please...........?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good crowd 18,732.

Weimann in the hole.

Standouts were Kalas (as usual), Scott & O’Dowda for me.

HNM better than Bakinson but still that tendency to follow the ball..

Shout out to all 3 subs who made a decent contribution, we know all about James but Wells looked lively & won several 50/50s.

Derby’s first shot on target was in the 88th minute, they looked as punchless as a side we’ve played & if Martin & Semenyo hadn’t missed very presentable 1st half chances it would have been our first “easy” win.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

That Max Bird is some player isn't he. And Ebosele for a 19 year old looks one hell of a prospect.

Would expect a lot of championship interest in both those players in the summer.

Yes, looked the biz in 19/20 in our 3-2 win in midfield alongside Rooney.  Must be clubs sniffing around him in January.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, looked the biz in 19/20 in our 3-2 win in midfield alongside Rooney.  Must be clubs sniffing around him in January.

Didnt think a single one of their players stood out at all. 
Punchless, no creativity and they played like O’Driscoll was their manager. 
The RW gets points for trying but again created nothing, whilst bottling the challenge with Kalas to get him a booking. 
Atleast he was positive and went forwards with the ball but i wouldnt be shopping in the Derby County January sales if it were me. 

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It was a good performance overall. Still things to work on of course. I feel that could have been more comfortable than it was in the end.

Had Martin put away his chance in the first half it would have been a lot more comfortable and less nervy towards the end.

Solid if not spectacular, but it's 3 points so who cares (save I think it likely they'll get annuled along with the over chippy & increasingly loathsome Rams.)

Had we a striker we'd have won by 3.

Derby were pants. Expensive pants at that.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Scott and Kalas were the stand out performers for me today.

Another difficult watch but we are scrapping to get to 50 points so take what we can.

Also attacking the home fans in the first half is this now a psychological thing?

Very difficult watch tbh. It was awful quality having said that today was all about getting the win.

We are still very much a 45min side but it was nice today seeing us start so well, definitely one of this season best first 45, Derby where toothless thankfully but I did think we did well to keep them from having much of a shot at goal in the 2nd half, they had a lot of the ball but we stopped them doing anything really attacking with it, was good to see everyone running hard and looking like the wanted it definitely improving

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

40 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

That Max Bird is some player isn't he. And Ebosele for a 19 year old looks one hell of a prospect.

Would expect a lot of championship interest in both those players in the summer.

Why wait until summer? Put a bid in in January, pressure the Administrators. Doubt we have the cash to do it, but someone will. 

• Like 2

Cons: Two poor sides, not an entertaining game, we were unable to capitalize on several chances, Martin being the main culprit, limited them to hardly anything (although my heart missed a beat in the 88th minute)  

Pros: Three points, created more chances than usual, decent attendance. 

• Like 2

I thought first half we were decent. We pressed them well and should have taken those chances. God knows why Derby persisted in playing themselves into trouble.

Second half was the usual problem of standing off and failing to keep hold of the ball. Some of our passing was dreadful and it was a dire watch. Thankfully Derby created very little.

Very happy with 3 more home points and another clean sheet. 

• Like 1

Here's a view from a serial moaner who doesn't believe Pearson is the man for us!

First half thought we looked quite good both with the ball and without. O dowda was excellent along with Scott who took his goal very well, Atkinson had his hands full but acquitted himself well. Deserved lead at half time.

Second half we went Into our shell again and i think pearsons subs saved us. Why oh why are we not fit enough to last a full game, last season everyone from Ashton, rolls and the physio,s were blamed but inexplicably I don't think we are any fitter this season.

I don't know why he flogs Martin cause in all honesty he ain't that good the pass in to touch, which the useless weimann did in the first half summed them both up for me.

All in all i think we deserved the 3 points, the subs were used well and there were quite a few good performances.

Just one word of caution, Derby were shite!

Edited by frenchred
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Good crowd 18,732.

Could be Yeovil!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Missed prime version of Fam massively imo

The relevant bit highlighted.

Unfortunately, he couldn't be arsed to bring that to the pitch as often as he should have done and certainly not in his latter days here.

Glad to see the back of him tbh.

• Like 3