IGNORED

Marlon Pack

ohhhshauntaylor

4 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Nice touch clapping all the home end post game today- (it’s riled a few Cardiff fans on twitter). 

thought he actually was very good today, OOC in the summer, wouldn’t mind him back. 

Based on talking with him in the pre season Florida training camp, he was enjoying his time with us. Think he was very surprised at the transfer. We did get a decent fee for him so I can see why we did it. 

5 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I did spend the first half wishing Pack still played for us.

Interesting - the Cardiff fans on their Not606 board thought he was awful - I even chipped in with the wooden spoon calling him ‘Agent Pack’ !!!!

https://www.not606.com/threads/bristol-city-away.398406/page-3#post-15539901

• Haha 1

Wouldn't at all be surprised to see him back here if his contract expires. 

He's very settled living in the area and clearly still has fond memories of his time here. 

I noticed him smiling and talking to our fans each time he was drying the ball when taking a throw in. In turn one small group of fans responded by slapping his arse when he was beginning his run up. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, The Gasbuster said:

Yep. Those booing and singing “you’re a ***” at Marlon & Flint need to give their head a wobble. Embarrassing.

Imagine doing that to 2 players who both spent a minimum of 5 years at the club, were part of the double winning team and the run to the League Cup semi finals. Really poor by some of our own fans that.

That being said i'm glad we put pressure on Flint as he really isn't a Championship level defender anymore

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Imagine doing that to 2 players who both spent a minimum of 5 years at the club, were part of the double winning team and the run to the League Cup semi finals. Really poor by some of our own fans that.

That being said i'm glad we put pressure on Flint as he really isn't a Championship level defender anymore

Is it really a thing?

3 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Yep. Those booing and singing “you’re a ***” at Marlon & Flint need to give their head a wobble. Embarrassing.

I wouldn't say it's embarrassing, happens at every club when ex players return. Always going to happen at a derby game. 

It's just pantomime really, and I'm sure Pack and Flint expected it, and weren't worried about it or offended by it. 

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

Thought Pack was OK today, won a lot of second balls and often had lots of time but didn't really offer much going forward. 

In terms of the booing, I personally don't see much of an issue, somebody mentioned pantomime which I agree with. Give them a respectful clap before and after the game and during it no issue with trying to get in their heads. Definitely worked with Flinty when he shouted '**** off' to the south stand... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I wouldn't say it's embarrassing, happens at every club when ex players return. Always going to happen at a derby game. 

It's just pantomime really, and I'm sure Pack and Flint expected it, and weren't worried about it or offended by it. 

Absolutely.

I didnt join in the pack chants, quite a few didn’t.

But it really isn’t a big deal. Pack knows the score. Of course city fans like him and respect him.

1 minute ago, hinsleburg said:

Thought Pack was OK today, won a lot of second balls and often had lots of time but didn't really offer much going forward. 

In terms of the booing, I personally don't see much of an issue, somebody mentioned pantomime which I agree with. Give them a respectful clap before and after the game and during it no issue with trying to get in their heads. Definitely worked with Flinty when he shouted '**** off' to the south stand... 

His pride was just hurt. Antoine absolutely exposed him in that second half.

35 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I did spend the first half wishing Pack still played for us.

Thought Weimann played a bit too advanced in the opening 30 mins-  in between Pack and their back 3.  I’d have preferred him to be a bit more conservative, play goalside of Pack, who as you say seemed to pick up loads of loose balls unopposed.

However it was Weimann (from Scott pass) that isolated Flint for our equaliser, so yin and yang.  Second half Weimann’s energy exposed Pack big-time and he was bearing down on their back 3 (with Semenyo) countless times.

So, I think ultimately Weimann’s aggressive positioning win over.

33 minutes ago, italian dave said:

How did we have Pack and Flint for all those years and never figure out that long throw?

Because LJ wouldn’t let him have any freedom.  Why Pack didn’t go up for corners (D.Rennie like) god only knows.

23 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Pack didn’t ask to leave City, he was told by LJ that City had accepted an offer from Cardiff. Basically he was unwanted so he took the obvious decision to leave. I can understand a bit if booing and banter with an ex City player, but to call him a cu*t is a disgrace. The people who sang this have had months to think about something original to sing and all they could think of was calling him a cu*t. They just gave the impression that they are a bunch of thickos. Totally embarrassing 

• Like 13
  • Flames 2

Loved Pack. Agree with others that he knows the score around pantomime booing.

Hadnt realised he was OOC at Cardiff in the summer. I’d definitely take him back in the summer to be an experienced squad player in CM. He offers more than Andy King does in that role in the squad (imo).

Also, he’s settled in the area with his family for the long term so might be interested.

• Like 3

Cardiff dont use him in the right way. He’d fit perfectly back into a team trying to play out from the back. 
I’d have him back no trouble. Im not overly enamoured with James if im honest, but him and Pack at least sharing the experienced roles in cm would do for me. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I liked Pack but he wouldn’t be the answer for this squad anymore 

I'm not so sure on that. I think there are times where we still miss a midfielder who'll sit deep and hold a position. Williams and James both "can" do it but I'm not sure it's how their best utilised and I think there are times where Massengo really benefits from someone who'll sit so he can focus on getting around the pitch. 

If we had a choice between renewing King or signing Pack, I think I'd go for the latter. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Cardiff dominated the ball for the majority of the game I thought? Mainly down to Pack.

Didn't understand the booing of him, seems like a great guy especially compared to Flint

Yeah thought the same. But like City in those days we flattered to deceive…

23 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Loved Pack. Agree with others that he knows the score around pantomime booing.

Hadnt realised he was OOC at Cardiff in the summer. I’d definitely take him back in the summer to be an experienced squad player in CM. He offers more than Andy King does in that role in the squad (imo).

Also, he’s settled in the area with his family for the long term so might be interested.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

17 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm not so sure on that. I think there are times where we still miss a midfielder who'll sit deep and hold a position. Williams and James both "can" do it but I'm not sure it's how their best utilised and I think there are times where Massengo really benefits from someone who'll sit so he can focus on getting around the pitch. 

If we had a choice between renewing King or signing Pack, I think I'd go for the latter. 

Only 30….(31 in March).

Is a sensible suggestion. ??????

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Wouldn't at all be surprised to see him back here if his contract expires. 

He's very settled living in the area and clearly still has fond memories of his time here. 

I noticed him smiling and talking to our fans each time he was drying the ball when taking a throw in. In turn one small group of fans responded by slapping his arse when he was beginning his run up. 

We should provide wet towels for away teams and keep the dry ones out of reach.

40 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Cardiff dominated the ball for the majority of the game I thought? Mainly down to Pack.

Didn't understand the booing of him, seems like a great guy especially compared to Flint

Dominated the ball for the majority? they had a good start to both halves, but if you think they dominated the majority we must have watched the same game from a parallel universe.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Yep very fair points LB - i liked Pack, still goes down as one of the most baffling decisions to sell him when we did for me. 

7 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Same people who will moan about a flat atmosphere or say Ashton Gate isn’t a fortress

I’d say Ashton Gate is a fortress. Two games unbeaten is amazing. We’re on our way onwards and upwards 

I thought he struggled to influence the game against the immaculate Alex Scott & the energetic HNM.

I struggle to see how anyone could boo or abuse ex players like Pack or Flint, especially given their contributions to the club.  I wished them well when they left and nothing has changed, just thankful both were on the losing side today.

2 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Embarrassing for sure.

Still at least it gave the knuckle draggers  something else to sing other than that god awful O’Dowda one they haven’t quite managed to evolve ?

3 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Yet Albert Adomah gets a round of applause….

nothing at all against AA, but our “double winners” all deserve a clap every time they return, no matter who they’re playing for IMO- especially when like Pack, he didn’t ever ask to leave, and hasn’t bad mouthed us etc since.

• Like 5

There are definitely a few on here with short memories when it comes to Pack. Our midfield struggled from the time he was sold and even this season, I can see how a player like Pack who is willing to cover as a defensive midfielder and bring the ball out from the back would suit how Pearson wants to play.

Given that our current more experienced midfielders (James, King, Williams) all seem particularly injury prone, bringing back Pack when he is out of contract this summer would not be the worst idea ever. And I absolutely think he would meet Nige’s requirements in terms of effort and professionalism. Plus for family reasons, still living locally, it would certainly suit Marlon.

Finally it’s clear that he still has fond memories of his time with us. Anybody else spot that he gave our fans a long clap to the Dolman, South and Lansdown stands, before he gave a much shorter one to the Atyeo , by which time most of them had already left? Says it all really!

• Like 5
  • Robin 2

Didn't see any value whatsoever is booing Pack or Flint, both were great for us, moved on for fees and both have hopefully earned enough to have some choices once their playing days come to an end.

Also, we had their best years. I'm sure they have nothing done well since leaving us, but I don't imagine either of them are still developing as players. 

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Would rather Korey. And that's if we even need a centre mid. Not sure we will need one.

Scott and Massengo will only get better. How good did Scott look in that deeper role today!

Williams staying fit for the rest of the season could be key there in whether we need a centre mid in the summer. Needs some months of game time, regularly completing 90 minutes for Pearson to be condfident in him going into next season.

Wouldn't be surprised if King is let go in the summer, and Bakinson looks almost certain to be gone permanently or back out on loan if we can't sell him.

Probably on my own here but I have always thought Vyner does a reliable job in midfield as back up.

I don't think Pack improves our best 11. I think Matty James is better and I expect Nige agrees with that. Williams is probably our best midfielder imo if only he can stay fit. Big if.

Those 2 young ones that ended up alongside each other today were seriously impressive.

Who knows maybe even Dylan Kadji is brought into the first team squad training next season and is an option as back up.

Pack has started 23 Championship games this season, Korey Smith 13.

Williams, King & James have all had injury issues, Korey has had plenty, too.

If we were bringing in either this summer I’d definitely prefer it to be Pack.

Kadji has been on the bench at Bath, can’t see him being remotely in the frame.

• Like 5

Thought Pack looked good - their best player. Looked leaner and trimmer to me than when he was at AG. 

A friend of mine worked at Airhop and used to chat to him when he took his kids. Said he was a very nice bloke. 

Would have him back on a free. 

Edited by Ben1980
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Beni71 said:

Great to see MP clapping the crowd at the end.

I live pretty close to MP and he is a  genuine nice guy. My son broke his leg in the first lockdown and within 24 hours MP has used his contacts at Bristol City to produce get well clips from all the city 1st team. My son was over the moon with it and something he’ll always cherish.  He didn’t need to do this but did as he’s one of the good guys in the game.

We could do a lot worse by bringing him back as some form of coach in the youth set up in the future. 

I’d be amazed if he doesn’t have a very successful coaching career, starting off at city. As someone involved with North Somerset RTC, Marlon coaches some of our u13/14s groups over the summer and he’s a great coach. Absolutely destined to have a very long career in the game after retiring from playing

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Pack didn’t ask to leave City, he was told by LJ that City had accepted an offer from Cardiff. Basically he was unwanted so he took the obvious decision to leave. I can understand a bit if booing and banter with an ex City player, but to call him a cu*t is a disgrace. The people who sang this have had months to think about something original to sing and all they could think of was calling him a cu*t. They just gave the impression that they are a bunch of thickos. Totally embarrassing 

My older Son uses the same Turkish Barber.

Pack did not want to leave and was prepared to fight for his place. Johnson dug his heels on and told him in no certain terms did Pack have a future at the club.

He had no choice 

• Like 1

I'm sorry but I don't see how Pack fits with the dynamic way Pearson wants from him his team.

I think sone have short memories when it comes to the amount of stick he received on here when we got to Championship level.

His lack of pace and constant turning back to his defensive line was frustrating the majority of the time.

Nice guy when I have met him around Portishead and capable of the odd great pass, but we have moved on up a level with younger talent.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Keepers Ball said:

My older Son uses the same Turkish Barber.

Pack did not want to leave and was prepared to fight for his place. Johnson dug his heels on and told him in no certain terms did Pack have a future at the club.

He had no choice 

Oh the irony ?

Edited by adamski

17 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Nice touch clapping all the home end post game today- (it’s riled a few Cardiff fans on twitter). 

thought he actually was very good today, OOC in the summer, wouldn’t mind him back. 

Watched him closely . He was quality first half. Wiemann stopped him playing second though . 

Edited by steviestevieneville

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I'm sorry but I don't see how Pack fits with the dynamic way Pearson wants from him his team.

I think sone have short memories when it comes to the amount of stick he received on here when we got to Championship level.

His lack of pace and constant turning back to his defensive line was frustrating the majority of the time.

Nice guy when I have met him around Portishead and capable of the odd great pass, but we have moved on up a level with younger talent.

Best way to describe Pack is he is not what we need if we want to kick on over the next 18 months - 2 years, but he is better what we have right now 

It was the right time for him to move on when he did, but we simply haven’t replaced him. Nagy was meant to be the upgrade but was an absolute disaster 

Stay up this season, and hopefully we will continue to move in the right direction

• Like 1

Wouldn't go back.

He's on a fair wedge, and more importantly He wasn't a fast player with us. Apparently for Cardiff hes slowed up even more. I'd also argue that with Nige's aim of making us a cohesive counter attacking threat, Pack slows the game down simply too much to suit the system, not does he have the mobility to sweep up second balls.

He was a good servant. But now is not the time to entertain a comeback when we're mid rebuild just because he went round and clapped our fans and is one of the Cotts title winning team.

Plenty of other midfielders who are out of contract in the summer. Rinomhota, Laurent at Reading for example, who are younger.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 3