IGNORED

LJ in Covid jab rant ...

headhunter

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10451985/Sunderland-boss-claims-Covid-vaccine-players-inflammed-heart.html 

Just caught this in the Daily Mail

Lee Johnson has claimed that the heart problems affecting his goalkeeper Lee Burge could have been caused by having the Covid vaccine.

Burge, 29, has been ruled out of action for the League One side for up to five weeks because of an 'inflamed heart'. 

The goalkeeper was one of a number of Sunderland players to contract Covid-19 at the start of January but, while the others have returned to action, Burge has been unable to because of a lingering heart problem.

1 minute ago, headhunter said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10451985/Sunderland-boss-claims-Covid-vaccine-players-inflammed-heart.html 

Lee Johnson has claimed that the heart problems affecting his goalkeeper Lee Burge could have been caused by having the Covid vaccine.

Burge, 29, has been ruled out of action for the League One side for up to five weeks because of an 'inflamed heart'. 

The goalkeeper was one of a number of Sunderland players to contract Covid-19 at the start of January but, while the others have returned to action, Burge has been unable to because of a lingering heart problem.

What a plank

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

What he actually said was.... 

"it's more likely to be covid, but there's a chance it could be from the vaccine" 

"I don't know, I'm not a doctor" 

"I'd be ill advised to quote on the cause" 

What a piece of shit publication the Daily mail is...! 

He should be more responsible making comments like that.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

"it's more likely to be covid, but there's a chance it could be from the vaccine" 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The Fail is an utter bog roll publication but for somebody as media savvy as LJ that’s a very naive thing to say in an interview

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Precisely. Just say it is a matter for the medics and leave it at that. I'm sure he wouldn't want the club doctor talking about team selection and tactics after all.

25 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Precisely. Just say it is a matter for the medics and leave it at that. I'm sure he wouldn't want the club doctor talking about team selection and tactics after all.

To be fair, a lot of the managers seem to be expressing their views on it. Even our very own Big Nige has made comments on the vaccines etc, I believe at one point he insinuated that other clubs could do more in getting their players jabbed, which would then result in less late cancellations. Maybe LJ could of chosen his words better, but he did confirm what it was more likely to be later. & that’s before we look at how the report tries to sensationalise the article. COYR 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

So, he doesn’t think that the Myocarditis could’ve been caused by the Covid-19 infection itself then? Surely that’s far more likely, serious viral infection causing heart inflammation….not exactly a new phenomenon.

******* crank.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Ah, so he did acknowledge that then.

Maybe not a completely lost case.

Theres a ‘chance’ it could be caused by many things Lee.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

To be fair, a lot of the managers seem to be expressing their views on it. Even our very own Big Nige has made comments on the vaccines etc, I believe at one point he insinuated that other clubs could do more in getting their players jabbed, which would then result in less late cancellations. Maybe LJ could of chosen his words better, but he did confirm what it was more likely to be later. & that’s before we look at how the report tries to sensationalise the article. COYR 

Yes, that's fair comment. Let's say he was a bit naive not to realise some parts of the media would jump on it for their own ends.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

So, he doesn’t think that the Myocarditis could’ve been caused by the Covid-19 infection itself then? Surely that’s far more likely, serious viral infection causing heart inflammation….not exactly a new phenomenon.

******* crank.

Try reading. “We don't exactly know what caused it, it is probably the Covid.”

Shit headline from the Daily Mail and the usual crowd using it as a chance to have a pop at LJ.

Probably shouldn’t have said exactly what he said but I presume he was asked a question rather than him just making a statement.

I assume all these heart issues are being investigated, but it looks like Covid is much more likely the cause. Covid has ruined my fitness, 6 months on and I still can’t train at over 75% of max heart rate without pain.

16 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Shit headline from the Daily Mail and the usual crowd using it as a chance to have a pop at LJ.

Probably shouldn’t have said exactly what he said but I presume he was asked a question rather than him just making a statement.

I assume all these heart issues are being investigated, but it looks like Covid is much more likely the cause. Covid has ruined my fitness, 6 months on and I still can’t train at over 75% of max heart rate without pain.

It’s one of three things, covid, the vaccine or as most would like to believe.. simply a coincidence.  

15 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Perhaps this clears it up before everyone says what a bellend he is ...

I think that horse might of already bolted!

Ah, but you can do amazing things with video editing, CGI and a load of other things I have no idea about! COYR 

15 hours ago, headhunter said:

I see LJ is still spinning c$*p

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, LoyalRed said:

It’s one of three things, covid, the vaccine or as most would like to believe.. simply a coincidence.  

I dont think many people believe it’s a coincidence, but it’s highly likely COVID which he caught rather recently.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

The article quotes him saying “it happens a lot after these injections”. That’s the bit that’s really irresponsible.

I haven’t seen the full press conference and should know not to believe every article I read whilst drinking Peroni, however, if he did say that then he’s a d1ck.

If he didn’t say that then the Daily Mail are a bunch of C-Units.

Either way, the Goalkeeper had a confirmed Covid infection at the beginning of January...which begs the question when exactly did he get his jab if he’s been infected in the last 3 weeks?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

******* crank.

Read the bloody article before posting 

36 minutes ago, Selred said:

I dont think many people believe it’s a coincidence, but it’s highly likely COVID which he caught rather recently.

I think if you posted the same thing on the "covid" thread there would be a few on there suggesting it is purely a coincidence as they have done so in the past and comparing footballers deaths to previous years.

Lee Johnson is in the "game" so will have inside knowledge as to why some footballers are not taking the vaccine.  I expect he will have heard personal stories that are not announced to the press,

Purely speculation but there might be an issue taking the vaccine if you then catch covid around the same time or vise versa.  I am sure all possibilities are being looked into but I really can't see anything ever being announced if there ever was an issue with the vaccine, especially after most of us have already taken it.

1 minute ago, LoyalRed said:

I think if you posted the same thing on the "covid" thread there would be a few on there suggesting it is purely a coincidence as they have done so in the past and comparing footballers deaths to previous years.

Lee Johnson is in the "game" so will have inside knowledge as to why some footballers are not taking the vaccine.  I expect he will have heard personal stories that are not announced to the press,

Purely speculation but there might be an issue taking the vaccine if you then catch covid around the same time or vise versa.  I am sure all possibilities are being looked into but I really can't see anything ever being announced if there ever was an issue with the vaccine, especially after most of us have already taken it.

I don’t recall anyone saying it’s “coincidence” as such.

Many have rightly pointed out that heart problems in footballers, and athletes in general, is a well documented issue and has been on the increase. That’s to say, heart problems have always been around but there’s much more focus on it right now so it feels more common. Is it? We don’t know, we need the full data.

What most people have said in answer to accusations that the vaccine is causing issues is that it’s much more likely covid is causing an increase in issues (if there is one) than the vaccine.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

It’s not a coincidence, we’ve been in the middle of a SARS Pandemic for 2 years, of course Myocarditis cases are going to increase….especially when we’re finding cases that wouldn’t have been noticed in the past or investigated in the first place.

Often any comparison to previous years, in the bizarre hope of establishing a link to the vaccine and a significant risk of serious heart inflammation, is immediately invalidated as many of the athletes in question have not even had the jab.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

as many of the athletes in question have not even had the jab.

The topic is regarding Lee Burge who has had covid and the jab.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

What most people have said in answer to accusations that the vaccine is causing issues is that it’s much more likely covid is causing an increase in issues (if there is one) than the vaccine.

The only small caveat in that is we are only starting to hear about this now in 2021 (post-vaccine), I don't recall this ever being mentioned in 2020 (pre-vaccine) when football was still being played behind closed doors.

3 hours ago, LoyalRed said:

Interesting that it’s cut mid sentence! My suspicious nature suggests to me that he says more than we see here… and this isn’t me LJ bashing - it just genuinely seems that way. 

3 hours ago, LoyalRed said:

Interesting that it’s cut mid sentence! My suspicious nature suggests to me that he says more than we see here… and this isn’t me LJ bashing - it just genuinely seems that way. 

13 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

The only small caveat in that is we are only starting to hear about this now in 2021 (post-vaccine), I don't recall this ever being mentioned in 2020 (pre-vaccine) when football was still being played behind closed doors.

Myocarditis as a potential complication of serious (and even not so serious) viral infection? 
Oh I’ve heard it mentioned long before 2021. It’s not a new thing, even amongst younger people.

18 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

When i am in a queue in the newsagents and i see the person in front buying the Mail i always have the urge to slap a middle aged housewife...........and shout "For Pheck sake pull yourself together you.............."   Fortunately i restrain the urge, calm down and buy my copy of the Beano........?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LoyalRed said:

And there’s be some conflating reported adverse reactions with deaths…….?

20 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

& The Mirror, they’ve reported it in exactly the same way. 

4 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Covid's the least of his worries tonight.

The Sunderland forums are a hoot and in meltdown. Haven't laughed as much in ages.....

Ouch, just seen their result. Seems he’s still incredibly inconsistent.

Still, a Bristol City fan going to a Sunderland forum immediately after our game to revel in Johnson’s misfortune is pretty bizarre.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Still, a Bristol City fan going to a Sunderland forum immediately after our game to revel in Johnson’s misfortune is pretty bizarre.

No, I was directed there by other posts on this forum and there's nothing wrong with schadenfreude.

• Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

No, I was directed there by other posts on this forum and there's nothing wrong with schadenfreude.

I think it’s a bit pathetic really. He’s been gone for almost 2 years now - there was some good times and some bad times as is normal.

It’s never occurred to me to look at another teams forum to see whether they’re giving a former manager/player of ours stick. Really weird behaviour.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it’s a bit pathetic really. He’s been gone for almost 2 years now - there was some good times and some bad times as is normal.

It’s never occurred to me to look at another teams forum to see whether they’re giving a former manager/player of ours stick. Really weird behaviour.

Just because you don't lots of others do, but I'd never dream of criticising your behaviour for lacking curiosity.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think really weird is pushing it a bit.

Have a mate who's a Sunderland fan so with the link to Johnson i like to have a look at their thoughts on him .

18 minutes ago, dREDful said:

No doubt will still have his fans here, but he is truly an attrocious manager. 

Utter charlatan, feel bad for Sunderland but so relieved he's no longer our problem. 

What he needed when he joined us was an experienced mentor to advise and rein him in. What he got was Mark Ashton, who made matters worse.

The die is cast and I'd be surprised if he is in charge for their next game.

4 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

I think really weird is pushing it a bit.

Have a mate who's a Sunderland fan so with the link to Johnson i like to have a look at their thoughts on him .

I think doing it now and again is being curious - I think if you’re seeking it out, (like a poster in this thread), and you seem to genuinely dislike Johnson and take glee in him being criticised then it’s weird.

The guy tried his best, did some good things and some bad things. Was right he was sacked and he was probably lucky not to have been earlier. We’ve had 2 managers since and things are starting to  look up.. surely that’s more interesting to focus on than however Lee Johnson is getting on. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg

50 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Saw on Twitter than Oxford had an 11 goal difference swing on Sunderland today.

10 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Just because you don't lots of others do, but I'd never dream of criticising your behaviour for lacking curiosity.

Well I'm a Sunderland fan who always looks on here after we've had a thrashing to see what Bristol City fans have to say about Streaky Lee's latest disaster. We've already lost 4-0, 5-1 and 3-0 but today was really something else. He's got the best squad in our league as well.

1 minute ago, ROKERITE said:

Well I'm a Sunderland fan who always looks on here after we've had a thrashing to see what Bristol City fans have to say about Streaky Lee's latest disaster. We've already lost 4-0, 5-1 and 3-0 but today was really something else. He's got the best squad in our league as well.

I see you’ve made a couple of good signings this window too. Danny Batth and Patrick Roberts. Do you think his job is safe? 

Just now, ROKERITE said:

Feel for you. 5,200 to an away game to witness your worst ever performance at that level would take saintly restraint not go ballistic. I don't blame your fellow supporters for highlighting your issues and FP to those who manage to do so with a sense of humour.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I see you’ve made a couple of good signings this window too. Danny Batth and Patrick Roberts. Do you think his job is safe? 

It shouldn't be but we'll have to see whether our young owner will wield the axe. Batth, Roberts and £10,000,000 Jack Clarke on loan from Spurs.

7 hours ago, LoyalRed said:

Fair point, but the most famous one did (Eriksen) and we’ve had 2 bigger waves of cases since then

Also if my current state is anything to go by, for about 2-3 months after covid it was breathing I struggled with and now it’s my chest/heart 6 months on. Maybe it takes time to manifest?

I think the clear answer is none of us know enough yet but many lists that are shared all over social media include a number of athletes who didn’t have the vaccine

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It seems the more choice he has the worse he gets.

Yep. I can't totally blame LJ for mucking up the best chance we're likely to have had to get the Prem in my lifetime - he should never have been given the job - but the chap was both out of his depth and cocky with it. As was our CEO at the time. It's the cockiness that always grated, no humility whatsoever. Both thought they were God's gift...as a consequence of which I feel only slightly bad in saying that I'll delight in their every subsequent failure.

• Like 2

On 28/01/2022 at 12:37, Davefevs said:

Yes he should. It’s none of anyones effing business what Illnesses his players have and it’s not up to him to make it public on their behalf. If I were the goalkeeper I’d smack him in the mouth. Sunderland FC are bound to have an HR advisor who is not looking forward to Monday!

For the record. I know to my own cost that Covid related heart problems are becoming an increasing cause for concern. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, LoyalRed said:

What’s his point?

Looking at his Twitter page I can guess what his views on the subject are but I don’t want to jump the gun.

Is he doubting that Lee Burge has inflammation of the heart? 

Is he pointing out, for no apparent reason, that we’re in a Global SARS Pandemic and that cases of known complications from serious viral infection (like Myocarditis) will obviously be higher than normal?

Has he done ‘research’?

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Myocarditis as a potential complication of serious (and even not so serious) viral infection? 
Oh I’ve heard it mentioned long before 2021. It’s not a new thing, even amongst younger people.

Correct.  5 year ago I became very ill, and ended up being blue lighted to hospital.  After days of tests, they found that my heart was enlarged because it had been damaged by a virus, this then caused the heart not to pump properly, which had led to a silent heart attack - which I was unaware of at the time, as I didn't have the normal symptoms.  I'm in heart failure for life now, as my heart cannot be repaired, just helped a bit by loads of medication, and I really hope that this won't be the outcome for the Sunderland keeper.

LJ did say that it was heavily weighted towards Covid having caused it, and I think that the DM did their usual thing of asking a leading question, and then fleshing out the transcript of the interview to make it sound contreversial.

Stay safe.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LoyalRed said:

I’d wager Carl Ikeme could spend 1,000 years in plenty of ‘games’ and plenty of potential occurrences in all of them would pass him by.

Personally, I don’t monitor the injury reports of every football team out there (if this is something they’d even disclose), so I also cannot claim for sure it has/hasn’t ever happened before, but safe to say neither has Carl Ikeme, so imagine his statement (while perhaps true) would hold as much weight as my own.

World is ****** when Twitter is where people look for ‘evidence’, swear to Christ.

• Like 2