IGNORED

Kane Wilson — Confirmed

tin

38 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

If i was told 4 years ago there would be this much fuss about a right back from Forest Green I would have assumed we were laughing at the Rovers!

Yes, much better to sign somebody from Chelsea for big bucks, that guarantees success. Fans love a good "marquee signing" too.

I feel sorry for those poor Leicester fans who had Pearson signing some unknown striker from Fleetwood. What a disaster that was.

Sort it out Nige!?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Yes, much better to sign somebody from Chelsea for big bucks, that guarantees success. Fans love a good "marquee signing" too.

I feel sorry for those poor Leicester fans who had Pearson signing some unknown striker from Fleetwood. What a disaster that was.

Sort it out Nige!?

It wasn't meant in a "how the mighty have fallen" way just funny how things change over time

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Sort it out Nige!?

And when he signed some random player from the French second division. I think his name was Riyad Mahrez.

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Don’t know what you mean. Have we got him by the Curly Wurlys? (On your marks punners and punnets, GO). 

It'll be a Boost to sign him, as long as Richard Gould can Crunchie the numbers within FPP.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Can I ask why everyone is so keen on this guy? Big step up from league 2..or am I missing something?

1. Voted best player in League 2 iirc, a great prospect. We are likely to have a lot of competition for him so it could be a bit of a coup in fact.

2. Players do step up, like Ollie Watkins for example.

3. No fee involved of course so low risk and

4. If Nigel thinks he can step up that's enough for me.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I’ve seen him twice and don’t get the obsession but trust everyone’s views that are really keen on him.

I think we could be linked to anyone of decent quality for the Right Wing Back role and it would be excitement. 

It's the position with the most urgent need of addressing. If we can secure a decent right wing back, our squad looks much more competitive. 

The bonus attraction with Wilson is he is 22 years old, League 2 player of the season, and likely on an upward trajectory in his career. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chinapig said:

1. Voted best player in League 2 iirc, a great prospect. We are likely to have a lot of competition for him so it could be a bit of a coup in fact.

2. Players do step up, like Ollie Watkins for example.

3. No fee involved of course so low risk and

4. If Nigel thinks he can step up that's enough for me.

There would be a fee, he’s too young to leave for nothing.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I’ve seen him twice and don’t get the obsession but trust everyone’s views that are really keen on him.

Not sure seeing someone twice is a lot to base much of an opinion on.

He won player of the year in L2, was in the PFA team of the season & has impressed a lot of people (both on here & journalists), who clearly know their football.

I haven’t seen him play at all so can’t comment myself, my only observation is he appears far more of a RWB than a RB, which suggests we could be sticking with a back three if he arrives.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He won player of the year in L2, was in the PFA team of the season & has impressed a lot of people (both on here & journalists), who clearly know their football.

I haven’t seen him play at all so can’t comment myself, my only observation is he appears far more of a RWB than a RB, which suggests we could be sticking with a back three if he arrives.

No seeing someone twice isn’t enough to base much of an opinion. Agreed. Seems very much like he will sign so our summer business will be nearly done.  Just need a midfielder to replace Massengo and then replacements for any other first teamers we sell such as Semenyo, Kalas or Scott.  Then really need to shift some players aka Palmer, Vyner, Moore and maybe Baker and Wells.  

21 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

No seeing someone twice isn’t enough to base much of an opinion. Agreed. Seems very much like he will sign so our summer business will be nearly done.  Just need a midfielder to replace Massengo and then replacements for any other first teamers we sell such as Semenyo, Kalas or Scott.  Then really need to shift some players aka Palmer, Vyner, Moore and maybe Baker and Wells.  

We defo need a back up striker aswell. Someone to compete with Martin cause he can’t play all season. And if injury’s occur.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

We defo need a back up striker aswell. Someone to compete with Martin cause he can’t play all season. And if injury’s occur.

We don't

We have Wells still

Wienman who got 20

Martin who go 10

Semenyo who got 12

We have Henry Conwy, Bell, chomping at the bit in the under 23s 

Striker is the one position we are overly stacked in

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

I agree we need a Martin style player, but only if we shift Wells. Got a lot of depth up front.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We don't

We have Wells still

Wienman who got 20

Martin who go 10

Semenyo who got 12

Naismith as well can play wide right if we play 3 up front 

33 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We don't

We have Wells still

Wienman who got 20

Martin who go 10

Semenyo who got 12

What if we have a situation again where Weimann and Semenyo get injured. We relied heavily on their goals last season. I don’t think Conway, Bell etc could contribute that amount of goals. And we don’t have anyone in the Martin mold. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Also, As FGR have offered him a new deal….had they just released him with no contract offer, then compo wouldn’t be necessary, maybe just a small amount of EPPP training costs.

1 hour ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Coupled with others responses, I don’t think Nige is looking for back-ups in any positions really, want “better than” players generally.

20 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

What if we have a situation again where Weimann and Semenyo get injured. We relied heavily on their goals last season. I don’t think Conway, Bell etc could contribute that amount of goals. And we don’t have anyone in the Martin mold. 

Isn’t that what Wells is for?

We cannot have a squad that size based on that scenario or it would be around 35 players.

Until we know the score with Semenyo then I doubt we will bring in any more strikers.

You are right that we cannot expect Martin to play 45 games again this season but I could see a more experienced Semenyo partnering Wells if he did drop out, or if Antoine leaves, the replacement being someone able to do that role.

1 hour ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Not sure how we would sign players to be back ups that would only be needed if 2 players got injured, that are better than our youngsters and that wouldn’t be a waste of a wage.  Next season isn’t a push for the play offs, it’s a building job so need to give Conway and the likes some chance and not make them 6th choice 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Monkeh said:

We don't

We have Wells still

Wienman who got 20

Martin who go 10

Semenyo who got 12

I think Seb Palmer- Holden is well liked at the club as well, he could push past a few.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Love it. Great for us to take a chance on a highly rated youngster from a local club, rather than see them going elsewhere and succeeding.

Good luck, Kane.

These are the sort of players people use to beat the club down if we don't sign them and they go on to better things.

This is the best round peg in a round hole signing we could have made this summer IMO.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Love it. Great for us to take a chance on a highly rated youngster from a local club, rather than see them going elsewhere and succeeding.

Good luck, Kane.

Yeah . We’ve all moaned how the young players we should of been looking at have slipped away . Nice to see we’ve changed our ways 

• Like 1

Is this lad actually any good then? Quite the step up from L2 to midtable Champ.

I am excited about our business so far but then again so were Ipswich fans when they replaced their average Champ squad with a load of young uns from the lower league and were promptly bottom all season

Delighted with this!

I have to say, the early indications of this transfer window are extremely exciting. 

But also, the long-term impact this could have on our progress as a club. We actually look to be signing for the future, and not just the present (something we have been guilty of in the past). 

Well done to Nige, Gould and the recruitment team so far. 

• Like 12
  • Robin 1

6 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Anyone getting that Summer of '14 vibe?

In Naismith and Kane we’ve made two sensible signings. As someone else said, round pegs in round holes.

Sykes, I’m not 100% sold on, but he adds versatility and was a free transfer, so not much risk.

It’s a great start. Could do with another central midfielder if HNM goes, and wouldn’t be too surprised to see a striker to help us prepare for the inevitable departures of Wells and Semenyo either this summer or January.

Going about our business in a very efficient way - really encouraging……love how we are re-shaping our squad……Nige is clearly seen as a positive reason why these players are joining us.

DCM next and think that will see us finished with new signings unless those who are likely to be 1st team regulars next season leave (ie discounting the likes of KP,Moore, Vyner etc….)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

In Naismith and Kane we’ve made two sensible signings. As someone else said, round pegs in round holes.

Sykes, I’m not 100% sold on, but he adds versatility and was a free transfer, so not much risk.

It’s a great start. Could do with another central midfielder if HNM goes, and wouldn’t be too surprised to see a striker to help us prepare for the inevitable departures of Wells and Semenyo.

Edited by WECANDO
After thought.
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Anyone getting that Summer of '14 vibe?

I’ve long had a feeling we’ll do a lot better next season than the odds envisage, and in fact I started a thread in Feb time that stated I thought we’d go up in 22/23. I genuinely, 100%, believe that. There is no standout championship team. We’ve got a manager who knows what he’s doing, a plan, and players coveted by other clubs. Remember without the late goals last year how high we’d have been. And then think that was without Semenyo for half a season and Williams not fully fit.

This signing fills our most glaring gap. I’m not saying it’s the final piece, but if you could give me a side of…

Bentley

Wilson-Atkinson-Klose-Naismith-DaSilva 

Williams-James (Rinhomota)-Scott

Weimann-Martin-Semenyo

It’d be up there. And that’s on the assumption of losing HNM and Kalas.

One further midfielder and another striker and I think we’re there. But at the current odds, I’m definitely tempted to pile in

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

It’s a great start. Could do with another central midfielder if HNM goes, and wouldn’t be too surprised to see a striker to help us prepare for the inevitable departures of Wells and Semenyo either this summer or January.

Sykes is the Scott Wagstaff of 2014/2015 right? Versatile, always gives hundred percent, good squad player, who will mostly come off the bench....

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Sykes is the Scott Wagstaff of 2014/2015 right? Versatile, always gives hundred percent, good squad player, who will mostly come off the bench....

And bring squad wages down massively… so whoever replaces Pearson will have some serious spending power when we start 23/24 in the Prem. 

It’d be just my luck that’d be the return of Lee Johnson. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Need to really start moving certain players out though. That’s the biggest challenge of this summer. Palmer nearly gone, suggestions on Twitter that baker is leaving, need to sell bakinson, moore, kalas and even wells if we are able to keep hold of semenyo. The outgoings are more key to our financial longevity

• Like 1

Really encouraged by our business (even if this one currently remains a rumour) so far. Sensible, efficiently conducted, early transactions adding players whose  ages/profiles bode well both for the short and medium-term.

As others have noted a few departures are needed too.

Well done to all concerned.