IGNORED

AFC Bournemouth away match day thread

Jerseybean

Just now, pillred said:

Would not be surprised if he didn't put in a transfer request, and to be honest I wouldn't blame him.

expect SL sees pound notes when he looks at AW very suprised if he is here next season

Just now, gl2 said:

expect SL sees pound notes when he looks at AW very suprised if he is here next season

Want a bet?

You have been posting this nonsense for weeks, he’s 31 in August & sides could have signed him for nothing last summer (Stoke tried).

I will be amazed if he’s elsewhere by August.

• Like 11

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

Sometimes you have to take a step back to gain momentum,don’t think any of us enjoy being mid to lower table and not enjoying football 

I’d really rather not, though I can’t see any other way we are going to be competitive again.

Just now, Bedred31 said:

Even with basic, well below average defending, this team could be challenging. I don’t think today is a parachute payment thing- it’s a bizarre side that can score against the best but can’t defend against the under 10’s thing. 

Players in makeshift positions at times, Scott is not a wing back / full back, neither is Wiemann nor Bell, good teams make use of that. Defended too deep at set pieces, missing a nasty bastard in midfield. 

A strong showing in the final 30 minutes gives some cause for optimism. City employed an aggressive, higher press, which coupled with DaSilva's switch to the left and Scott at RWB created great chances. Sadly, you have to take the few you're given and if Martin had gone either side of Travers it was 2-2. Denied another penalty too with Kelly's knee on Martin. Great cameo by Tommy Conway too.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Sometimes you have to take a step back to gain momentum,don’t think any of us enjoy being mid to lower table and not enjoying football 

No I don’t want to see us in League 1, we need to remain a Championship team, else we’ll never compete in that league, the financial gap will get wider.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Want a bet?

You have been posting this nonsense for weeks, he’s 31 in August & sides could have signed him for nothing last summer (Stoke tried).

That's 4 years younger than Jamie Vardy, I wouldn't be that confident there will many suitors that's for sure.

1 minute ago, Curr Avon said:

A strong showing in the final 30 minutes gives some cause for optimism. City employed an aggressive, higher press, which coupled with DaSilva's switch to the left and Scott at RWB created great chances. Sadly, you have to take the few you're given and if Martin had gone either side of Travers it was 2-2. Denied another penalty too with Kelly's knee on Martin. Great cameo by Tommy Conway and  Bentley outstanding again.

Edited by Curr Avon

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Want a bet?

Time and our habit will tell....

To say 3-2 flatters us is an understatement. Would’ve been 5 or 6 on another day if not for Bentley and their wastefulness. 

Im so ******* tired of watching his concede such poor goals. They had a man with 7 yards of free space around him basically every corner too. So amateur 

All the people who seem determined that Weimann is off in the summer, how much do you think clubs would pay?

Because I'd bet the reality is nowhere near what you're expecting, and nowhere near what would tempt the club to sell.

Still, if it gives you something else to catastrophize...

• Like 7
  • Flames 3

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

To say 3-2 flatters us is an understatement. Would’ve been 5 or 6 on another day if not for Bentley and their wastefulness. 

Im so ******* tired of watching his concede such poor goals. They had a man with 7 yards of free space around him basically every corner too. So amateur 

DETAILS.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

All the people who seem determined that Weimann is off in the summer, how much do you think clubs would pay?

Because I'd bet the reality is nowhere near what you're expecting, and nowhere near what would tempt the club to sell.

The other thing they singularly fail to realise is he is a perfect example of how we reduce our wage bill.

Rumour is he accepted around half what he was on previously as part of getting 3 years, so (unlike Wells, Palmer, Kalas) he is now absolutely on a sustainable wage for us.

The decision to give him this contract (not popular on here at the time, but those who said so are incredibly quiet about it now) was a great piece of business.

• Like 15
  • Flames 4

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He will not be going anywhere think we all know that unless Everton get relegated and slam in a £10 million bid of course 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Someone with any sense in the current market will pay £5 million for a proven Championship goal scorer like Weimann.

Why on earth would he stay with this aimless shambles if an offer came in.

I said a while ago he will be the biggest loss of all the saleable assets.

Considering we're at the bare bones, that wasn't a bad result. Easy in hindsight, but City looked far better with Dasilva at LWB and could have snatched a draw. Yes, we surrendered midfield for the most part and defended deep, but against promotion certaintees we still looked competitive. 

Always look on the bright side I say.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The other thing they singularly fail to realise is he is a perfect example of how we reduce our wage bill.

Rumour is he accepted around half what he was on previously as part of getting 3 years, so (unlike Wells, Palmer, Kalas) he is now absolutely on a sustainable wage for us.

The decision to give him this contract (not popular on here at the time, but those who said so are incredibly quiet about it now) was a great piece of business.

I have always said he is our best player.

Others describe him as someone with a foot like a banjo who just runs around alot.

Edited by Waconda

7 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Then stop the moaning and just except that we are going to be horse for another good 2 years 

Not moaned, merely opined that a spell in league 1 will do us no favours on lots of levels, mostly involving financial backing. 

Bournemouth are a good team, practically too good for this league, but will be utter shite in the Prem, and that’s the difference these days. The parachute payments are more or less creating a Prem 2 in all but name.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Thats what following a clear policy and strategy for many years gets you. Excellent recruitment . We could have followed the model but chose another route. 

‘Follow the model..’ if it was simple as that why doesn’t everyone do it and get automatic promotion?

Apart from parachute payments there are far too many variables (including length of grass..?) that can be added to a ‘model’ which is why it’s so elusive for most teams to get into the top 6. 

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

They had 6 shots on target

20 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I’d really rather not, though I can’t see any other way we are going to be competitive again.

When, in all the times we've gone down to league one, has it been a positive for us?

We go down, eventually get back up for a bit, only to go down again!

• Like 2

Just now, Roger Red Hat said:

When, in all the times we've gone down to league one, has it been a positive for us?

We go down, eventually get back up for a bit, only to go down again!

2013 was a worthwhile relegation in hindsight, as we cleared out some pretty dreadful deadwood and put together the nucleus of the side that won a double, then nearly made the championship playoffs a few years later. That said, I am ABSOLUTELY not saying let’s get relegated.. ?

30 minutes ago, pillred said:

Then why sell all our best players then?

Try stopping them when their agents arrive with contracts that would set them up for life and give them a better chance of glory. 
We know that we need to balance the books but SL., I am certain, would have preferred to keep many of the players we sold who would have given us a good chance of getting to the Prem. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

It doesn’t actually . Far far from it . Finally we are on the correct path . Huge steps forward . It is incredibly exciting .  Recruitment still an issue but slowly transforming . 

This season has been entertaining, not always for the right reasons but we are a million miles away from the end of last season, especially with the youth coming through 

• Like 6

It is worth pointing out that Solanke cost Bournemouth £20 million which is more than our starting eleven combined but then again basics like keeping the ball and actually finding your teammate do give you a chance 

One observation from today, i didn’t realise just how plastic Bournemouth has become, they’re only the second club after Fulham I’ve seen give out clappers to try and generate an atmosphere 

• Like 1

The Championship is regarded by many as one of the top 10 leagues in the world. We look like we will survive for another season. Yes we would all like us to be top of the table at this point of the season and so would all the other clubs in this league. At the end of the season only three clubs will be happy, the rest disappointed. Its down to Steve and Nigel to get it right in the summer for next season and who knows we could be one of those three clubs. Seems a long way of, but you never know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waconda said:

Someone with any sense in the current market will pay £5 million for a proven Championship goal scorer like Weimann.

Why on earth would he stay with this aimless shambles if an offer came in.

I said a while ago he will be the biggest loss of all the saleable assets.

Unless it's an exceptional offer. He would stay. As he has said on several occasions he likes it here, and for some players thats all they want, reasonable pay and enjoy who they play for. 

Edited by E.G.Red

Bournemouth play the plucky underdog card with a massive hard on but they've been a Pay 2 Win team for a long time. You could fit the whole of Dean Court practically in the lansdown stand. Rhe championship is an uneven track, I'm desperate for a wage cap. Let's really see who is a good coach then. 

4 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Unless it's an exceptional offer. He would stay. As he has said on several occasions he likes it here, and for some players thats all they want, reasonable pay and enjoy who they play for. 

Agreed, he’s settled here, well respected by fans and management, has had his best ever scoring season in a mid-lower table team, just been called up for his national team and is approaching 30 if not there already. I honestly don’t think he’d go looking for a move, certainly not within English football.

11 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Yes agreed but losing most weeks with little hope of improvement next season and the opportunity of an improved 3 year deal at an actual competitive side might change his mind.

Especially as he is back on the National teams radar.

9 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Bournemouth play the plucky underdog card with a massive hard on but they've been a Pay 2 Win team for a long time. You could fit the whole of Dean Court practically in the lansdown stand. Rhe championship is an uneven track, I'm desperate for a wage cap. Let's really see who is a good coach then. 

Nathan Jones, Ryan Lowe, Mark Robins, Gary Rowett and Neil Critchley all doing well without parachute payments.

It is possible to be at least be competitive.

3 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

Interesting listening on radio it didn't sound too bad yet opinions on here quite a bit different. Remember the reverse fixture was pretty frustrating so at least it was a bit more of a contest today. Good to see Conway get an assist.

I think the difference between the two games was mostly about Bournemouth. 

There’s no doubt (in my mind) that they are a great side to watch. They play some lovely passing football, they have some great players, from back to front they know exactly what to do when, who’s going to be making a run where and when to play it.

They pass quickly and with ease, whereas we struggle to put two passes together: either because we just misinterpreted it, or because we have to take two or three more touches while we look up, hope someone is making themselves available, figure out who it is, take another touch because there’s no-one available, and then the move breaks down. So disjointed.

That night at the Gate everything they did just seemed to flow, seemed to come off. Today they didn’t quite make that happen every time. Marginal differences but just enough to mean that passes don’t quite work or they gave us just enough time to get a body in the way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Waconda said:

Nathan Jones, Ryan Lowe, Mark Robins, Gary Rowett and Neil Critchley all doing well without parachute payments.

It isn't just about lack of parachute payments. It's about the financial precipice City stand on, thanks to the profligacy of the past management. 

Put both together, Pearson's hands are tied.

We've known all season we cannot compete with the best in this division. Yesterday at least showed we can worry them by scoring on the break. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

It isn't just about lack of parachute payments. It's about the financial precipice City stand on, thanks to the profligacy of the past management. 

Put both together, Pearson's hands are tied.

We've known all season we cannot compete with the best in this division. Yesterday at least showed we can worry them by scoring on the break. 

He has underperformed with the squad he has had available to him.

Forget the smoke screen of financial woes constantly being used as an excuse, doesn't affect the here and now.

He has had a squad capable of being .500 in this Division and has produced nothing like it.

Those managers quoted have produced far more with far less. It can be done.

Having been to both the Fulham and Bournemouth away games it’s fairly clear why Fulham are going to win the league.

They have that killer instinct which in both games against us Bournemouth didn’t have. Bournemouth let us back into a game they should’ve been out of sight of and suspect they’ll struggle next season 

6 hours ago, Waconda said:

He has underperformed with the squad he has had available to him.

Forget the smoke screen of financial woes constantly being used as an excuse, doesn't affect the here and now.

He has had a squad capable of being .500 in this Division and has produced nothing like it.

Those managers quoted have produced far more with far less. It can be done.

The scientific basis for saying "this squad is capable of X, Y or Z" is about as sound as getting your weather forecast from a bit of seaweed.

The fact is, Pearson inherited a disinterested and demoralised squad and has started to rebuild, but is stymied by high-wage underperformers he is stuck with this season. 

I'm as disappointed in the last few years of City performances as you, but he's only halfway to getting the sort of squad he might be able to work with here.

Next season, he'll hopefully have more ducks in a line and we can accurately judge how he's working out. I don't think Pearson is beyond criticism and for sure I've seen him make mistakes. I'd like to give him that extra window to see what he can do though.

Financial considerations are hardly a "smokescreen" though. There is a reason why the two runaway leaders of this division are where they are. Including the club that beat us by one (offside) goal yesterday. 

20 hours ago, Waconda said:

And which of them inherited a side that had just lost £38m?

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

And which of them inherited a side that had just lost £38m?

Irrelevant,.

They are coaching the players they have right now and getting more out of them.

We have a squad that should be mid table and at least be .500 = Underperforming 

Those  other managers have bottom half squads = Overperforming

1 minute ago, Waconda said:

Irrelevant,.

They are coaching the players they have right now and getting more out of them.

We have a squad that should be mid table and at least be .500 = Underperforming 

Those  other managers have bottom half squads = Overperforming

Irrelevant? 

Laughable comment.

• Like 1

Just now, GrahamC said:

Irrelevant? 

Laughable comment.

How do you not understand it is irrelevant ?

We have the players we have, debt, loses or whatever, we have the players we have.

They wouldn't be better players with £100 million in our bank account or worse with loses of £100 million

We have a solid mid table squad of players, better than many teams above us and we have underperformed.

14 minutes ago, Waconda said:

How do you not understand it is irrelevant ?

We have the players we have, debt, loses or whatever, we have the players we have.

They wouldn't be better players with £100 million in our bank account or worse with loses of £100 million

We have a solid mid table squad of players, better than many teams above us and we have underperformed.

Because it is completely subjective, you think we have a mid table squad, whereas others don’t.

Neither of us is convincing the other, so I’m going to leave this now.

• Thanks 1

Some quotes from the Bournemouth forum post match thread - Full disclosure I am mostly cherry picking the positive comments on this occasion there are bournemouth fans also also think they should have won by more etc. 

Bristol deserved their 2 goals. Well executed, both of them. Clinical in fact...... not a bad team in the making.

Great game of football, no signs of “playing with the handbrake on”. Could’ve scored 4 or 5, they could’ve scored more potentially. Ref was ****. Standard championship fare

Good result in the end Bristol stretched us.

Out of interest had a glance at their match thread and they mostly seem convinced they should have been given a penalty. Genuinely laughable. It was a blatant dive and the only reason he wasn't booked was because the ref was being a ***** all afternoon.

Incredibly pleasing the show of intent we’ve shown in the last two games. The performances have been light years ahead of the turgid Peterborough and Reading displays. It’s like Parker has all of a sudden told them to express themselves. (Put this here becuase it shows this was probably one of there better recent performances).

I thought this would be a difficult game today - think Bristol city are playing better than results suggest

How many corners did we get? Never looked like we would score from them image.gif.ed804800d9a812e735b270cc645d75d9.gif(loved this one given our recent issues)

but credit to Weimann who made the forward pass from just inside our half and then raced forward to tap in from three yards.

Bristol playing their part in a good advertisement of championship football.

My thought is, having watched both Bristol and Huddersfield, home and away this season, there's not much between them but somehow Huddersfield went on a long unbeaten run and we beat both of them twice, comfortably.

Both teams looked OK when they weren't sitting back managing the score. Both looked vulnerable when they were.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2