IGNORED

Andi Weimann

Lanterne Rouge

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Because people kept banging about Wells being the "20 goal" man. When he's actually never scored 20 in one season for one club.

Weimann has.

Uh fair enough? I don't really understand the vitriol Wells gets but if that's how you feel

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Couldn't happen to a better pro. An example for others to follow.

Well done Andi.

This absolutely nails it

Right up there for hard work and professionalism in any list of players I’ve seen in a red shirt

A player that you are actually really pleased for when they are rewarded when things go well.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Because people kept banging about Wells being the "20 goal" man. When he's actually never scored 20 in one season for one club.

Weimann has.

It’s not Wells fault people bang on about him being a 20 goal man, and this season he’s been an absolute professional, not moaned about not being in the side and worked hard whenever needed. He’ll be off in the summer but will do so with no hard feelings that it hasn’t worked out.

Delighted for Andi, but I’d bet Wells will be too and one is not to the detriment of the other.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Uh fair enough? I don't really understand the vitriol Wells gets but if that's how you feel

I was strongly against the signing of Wells. It was a vanity signing of a player in the most purple patch of all the purple patches in purple patch town. It was expensive, unnecessary, and typified the Ashton style.

I am aware I am being petty, but I'm glad it's Weimann who's hit the milestone first. He's an absolute pro, and was a good signing (and re-signing).

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s not Wells fault people bang on about him being a 20 goal man, and this season he’s been an absolute professional, not moaned about not being in the side and worked hard whenever needed. He’ll be off in the summer but will do so with no hard feelings that it hasn’t worked out.

Agree, it's not Wells himself I have an issue with. More what he represents.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Andi has started all 44 games and as long as he avoids injury next week he should complete the season.  As a matter of interest anyone know who was the last City player to do this.  I know some of the team of the 70s did it, Brian Drysdale etc but there must a more recent player who’s started every league game.

Edited by Malago

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I was strongly against the signing of Wells. It was a vanity signing of a player in the most purple patch of all the purple patches in purple patch town. It was expensive, unnecessary, and typified the Ashton style.

I am aware I am being petty, but I'm glad it's Weimann who's hit the milestone first. He's an absolute pro, and was a good signing (and re-signing).

I actually feel really sorry for Wells. Probably didn't want to come, scored goals in a crap side on arrival and has since been shunted out wide and stuck on the bench. Been just as professional as Weimann but can't buy a run of games. We could and should have got more from him.

I'd let the whole "what he represents" thing go as it's entirely in your head, but that's up to you.

Just now, GrahamC said:

Horse shit.

No it isn't. When he was out wide its all he did. Now he's back playing in his actual position he's playing much better.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Weimann has.

He did for Bradford, the only time he's ever done it

12 minutes ago, Mr Sno said:

To be fair previously he did tend to just run around a lot - fair play to NP for getting the best of him this season.

He was much better than that - he pulls players out of position with his runs, works really hard defensively and chipped in with assists and goals, albeit not as many as this year.

I also still think Holden deserves a little bit of credit for showing Weimann could play behind a front 2….

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Excellent achievement and couldn't have happened to a more deserving player.

As we all know, his hard work and professionalism is second to none, but hopefully this achievement also helps Andi get a bit more recognition for his ability beyond being hard working. Though this season has seen a notable increase in his goal return, I think the underlying traits of a good striker have been there for quite a while. For example, the intelligence of his movement is excellent, and he's always seemed a relatively decent finisher when playing up front.

Despite what some of our fans may claim, there's a lot more too him than simply running (or "flapping") around ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Who was the last? I really can`t think. did Kodjia get 20?

Abraham & Maynard are the only 2 since John Galley!

Which seeing as Tammy wasn’t our player, underlines the achievement.

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Malago said:

Andi has started all 44 games and as long as he avoids injury next week he should complete the season.  As a matter of interest anyone know who was the last City player to do this.  I know some of the team of the 70s did it, Brian Drysdale etc but there must a more recent player who’s started every league game.

Bobby Reid - 2017/18:

• started all 46 Championship games
  • not involved in our 1 FA Cup game
  • started 4, subbed on in 2, not involved in 1 game in our Carabao Cup run.

11 minutes ago, Malago said:

Marlon Pack (18/19).

• Like 1

I never thought this was possible but Weimann has somehow recovered from a serious injury, long term layoff and bounced back by not just scoring 20 but a variety of goals, some really good finishes, and of course his trademark endeavour. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

11 minutes ago, Malago said:

I feel like Flint had an incredibly long run of successive games, including every minute in 16.17?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Very few City players have got 20 league goals in a season at Tier 2 level. 

So have a Thatchers on me tonight, fella. Prost!

When we reached the play-offs in 2007/08 Darren Byfield top scored with EIGHT goals. So a brilliant achievement. Just 4 more to beat Tammy's 23 in 2016/17.

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

I never thought this was possible but Weimann has somehow recovered from a serious injury, long term layoff and bounced back by not just scoring 20 but a variety of goals, some really good finishes, and of course his trademark endeavour. 

And not one penalty.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

Why come on here and once again slag wells off when hes hardly had a chance this season.if he had played as much as some of our forwards did this year it might of been different.but since wells signed for us some people on this on site have had it in for him.if hes still here next season  get behind the bloke instead of slagging him.As for ANdi hes been superb this year that what's this topic was about and not let's slag off wells.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Abraham & Maynard are the only 2 since John Galley!

Which seeing as Tammy wasn’t our player, underlines the achievement.

Bobby Reid got 21 in 17/18. 

Brilliant season from Weimann, especially coming back from a torn ACL

25 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

His enthusiasm, never-say-die attitude and hunger for goals seems to be as strong as the day he first took centre stage.

A solid professional and good example for others to follow,

Says a lot for a guy who's thirty years old.

Well done Andi.

And all after a career threatening ACL injury..................what a Diamond!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Bobby Reid got 21 in 17/18. 

Brilliant season from Weimann, especially coming back from a torn ACL

19 of those were league goals, only Abraham & Maynard have scored 20 Championship league goals since the early 70s.

To come back from a serious ACL injury, play numerous positions for the overall good of the team, and still net 20 league goals in a struggling team is a brilliant testament to his professionalism and a fantastic personal achievement. Good on him. Extending his deal last summer is proving to be our best bit of business. Player of the season by a country mile.

• Like 7

I must admit, never thought AW could hit 20 league goals in a season. I was in the camp that recognised he ran around a lot, but all too often with no end product.

Prior to this season his highest total for us was 10 and his all-time high just 12 in 2012-13 season!

Aside from his 20 goals, he has had 9 assists this season too and that with us struggling in the bottom half of the table as well. He has most certainly benefitted from NP mainly playing him more central, all too often in the past LJ has him playing on the flank where he really isn’t that great an option.

Anyway, credit where credit is due, and a recall to the Austrian squad as well, Bravo!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, old_eastender said:

I must admit, never thought AW could hit 20 league goals in a season. I was in the camp that recognised he ran around a lot, but all too often with no end product.

Prior to this season his highest total for us was 10 and his all-time high just 12 in 2012-13 season!

Aside from his 20 goals, he has had 9 assists this season too and that with us struggling in the bottom half of the table as well. He has most certainly benefitted from NP mainly playing him more central, all too often in the past LJ has him playing on the flank where he really isn’t that great an option.

Anyway, credit where credit is due, and a recall to the Austrian squad as well, Bravo!

Definitely so.
Nige realised that Weimann  would be even more effective playing behind the front two as an attacking midfielder and consequently AW has reached the 20 goal milestone and with two games to go could add a couple more.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

And what is that exactly?

2 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I wonder if there will be incoming bids for him?

Surely there will be interest?

Yeah i was wondering that, what would we accept? He obviously signed on a reduced wage too, maybe he would go back to the club and ask for a payrise?

either way, hes been fantastic this season.

38 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Completely agree with this.

I still cringe when I hear someone say "Proven 20 goal per season striker". Wells had never scored 20 at this level before (and had often failed to get anywhere near 20). This isn't a criticism of Wells, it's a criticism of the idea that you can even buy a "Proven 20 goal per season striker". You can't. Such players are only realistic targets for Premier League teams, or those teams yo-yoing between the Premier League and Championship.

As you say, we paid very big money for a 30 year old striker on the basis that he was in good form and was a well known name. We didn't appear to consider how well he'd fit into our set-up, whether he'd address the issues the team was having at the time, whether his market value would fall etc.  

I also wonder whether it was:

A) a signing of convenience, since we were already working with Burnley on a deal for Brownhill

B) a "big name" signing to simply make the fans happy, given that Brownhill was leaving

32 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I actually feel really sorry for Wells. Probably didn't want to come, scored goals in a crap side on arrival and has since been shunted out wide and stuck on the bench.

Also agree with this.

Wells has conducted himself well since he arrived, and has come across as a good professional. 

I think he's been a bit unlucky with the state of the club he joined. Under LJ/Holden, he was often either playing out of position on the wing, or playing up front for the least creative side in the division. It was always going to be tough for him in those circumstances.

All in all, a major cock-up from the club. No thought. No plan. Instead making decisions like a 10 year old playing Football Manager. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Offside said:

Fantastic season from Weimann. I’m really pleased for him to have got the 20 goals. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

9 assists as well!

I want him to get the assist to get the “double double”.

Everyone else has beaten me to it.

Top player, top pro.

Pearson some credit for getting him to sign a deal on less money.

Weimann now has 40+ league goals.  Another good season next season and he could make the 50 league goals honours board in the Lansdown Stand.

Cool finish today.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Gonna give him a new contract / payrise then?

No reason for us to do so with him under contract for a pittance until he is 32 but in a world of no loyalty , it would certainly be a nice touch

I did hear a story (no idea on ITKness of the person) that he might get a new deal (sane length) in recognition of his season.

• Like 2

Didn't andi's wife have a kid a year or so ago? 

A year after my wife gave birth I was suffering from sleep deprivation and a growing waistline due to consoling myself with beer... Couldn't even bag 20 in a season at Briz Goals after that! 

Top man Weimann, I hope he's still here next season 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, chinapig said:

Couldn't happen to a better pro. An example for others to follow.

Well done Andi.

So true, loved this player from day 1 & couldn't fathom why some were wanting him out not so long ago. My growing concern is that we will be challenged to keep AW after his 20+ goal season (season isn't done yet).

What a star ???.

• Like 2

I’ve posted for years on here that Weimann is the best, and most intelligent, footballer at our club. And I’ve been criticised and shouted down for that point of view - mostly from the “he only runs around a lot” brigade. And I reckon most of the early sceptics are now the ones on here singing his praises! Yep, there are a few, and they know who they are!

I had a brief chat with Andi in the Sainsbury’s on Winterstoke Road in the days after a horrid defeat - he was magnificent - it was obvious he was still gutted and he said he felt the lads had let the fans down and they were all absolutely determined to put things right. He was brilliant and a credit to our club. 

Not many players would come back from a horrible injury, as Andi has done, and deliver a 20 goal return - he is our best player - and he should be our captain next season ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 5