IGNORED

Warburtons Toast

Silvio Dante

15 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

He’s done a decent job there so could be a case of be careful what you wish for, looks like they’ve run out of steam 

I like Warburton.  Always in the periphery of thinking if we had to change manager.

• Like 13

They have done really well coming back from that FFP fine.
I know some of their fans have been calling for his head, but that was because he'd done so well . Even my QPR mates were happy to stick with him. Not sure if they are in a position to spend, or if they can keep their players, next man will be interesting.
Can't wait to see what my mates think about Johnson possibly next man up.

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Usual jokes aside, I can see Johnson being interested in this one.

I hope Lee gets a job soon otherwise, with every vacancy, it’s going to be “job for LJ”. It was the same with Cotts. Good job they’re both not unemployed or it would be madness 

A funny one really. Did well to rebuild them but then ultimately underachieved with the good squad that he built. That’s why their fans are split on him.  If they get their next appointment right they could be play off challengers next season assuming they don’t lose their top players in the summer 

33 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I know some of their fans have been calling for his head, but that was because he'd done so well

Most managers don't bother with the doing well bit. He'll learn. The other option, of course, is to lower fans expectations so much that they'll be grateful if you avoid relegation. I can't possibly think of an example to illustrate that with though :whistle:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Is that a thing for Managers? Surely not?!

Sure I read the story somewhere that not all of them get a lump sum, some stay on the payroll until there is either a break in their contract terms or they find something else and then negotiations start as to a sensible settlement, as in, we were paying you 250k a year on a deal that had 12 months left, took you two months to find another club, they will be paying you 150k, so for the following 10 months, we will pay the difference between when you would have got with us, and what the new club are paying you.

Likely depends on the terms of the contract.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Sure I read the story somewhere that not all of them get a lump sum, some stay on the payroll until there is either a break in their contract terms or they find something else and then negotiations start as to a sensible settlement, as in, we were paying you 250k a year on a deal that had 12 months left, took you two months to find another club, they will be paying you 150k, so for the following 10 months, we will pay the difference between when you would have got with us, and what the new club are paying you.

Likely depends on the terms of the contract.

Yes, that is a fairly typical scenario from what others in the game have said.

Paying a lump sum is not good for FFP, when the remaining length of a contract is multi year.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, that is a fairly typical scenario from what others in the game have said.

Paying a lump sum is not good for FFP, when the remaining length of a contract is multi year.

Which is why I always chuckle to myself when supporters moan and cry about managers getting the sack when they have 2 or 3 years left on a contract, very unlikely the club would leave themselves open to shelling out the full amount, likely it is reviewed every 6 or 12 months with no more than 12 months severance as full and final settlement, and that would be spread out.

And could explain why Holden was appointed.

22 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

There are , as ever , a multitude of contract options . I only have two scenarios that I have direct knowledge of . One was very much ( Prem) where the 3/4 year contract was paid in full . The other ( Champ) where it was a 12 month rolling contract and the payoff was 1 year . ( I Guess Holden was in that area ) 

As football manager is so unreliable , the majority will almost certainly have a protection as they know they will be sacked . Gardening leave is used sometimes , as it means club can spread payments , but also know that most will get offered another job , and will want to carry on so will get a release. 

Warburton is the one of the very few  times I can recall a manager just getting to the end of a contract . Roy at Palace another . 

Can you imagine how much Jose has made from being fired !!!! 

Watford would find it less expensive to fund revolutions.

18 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Looks like Tony Mowbray leaving Blackburn as well . OOC and said today he hasn’t been offered a new deal 

Managerial musical chairs.  Not beyond the realm of possibility that Mowbray could end up at QPR and Warburton at Blackburn.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

If he uses his loaf, he'll be back in work in no time.

There is that crumb of comfort.

Otherwise he’ll just be loafing around waiting for a job to come along.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Looks like Tony Mowbray leaving Blackburn as well . OOC and said today he hasn’t been offered a new deal 

Yes I was surprised. Just watched this. Wonder if club finances have anything to do with these decisions not to renew contracts - perhaps hoping for cheaper options. 

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Apologies, I meant proper achievements as in promotions - and moneyball examples, do they impress club owners?! How desperate ... 

Proving you bought a player, improved him on your watch, sold him at a profit for the club is a huge thing to put on your CV in the current game. Guarantee LJ will have a presentation on Josh Brownhill. Like it or not - that is the game.

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Proving you bought a player, improved him on your watch, sold him at a profit for the club is a huge thing to put on your CV in the current game. Guarantee LJ will have a presentation on Josh Brownhill. Like it or not - that is the game.

Fair enough, yet LJ still has zero proper achievements on his CV - but you seem to think developing a player for a profit is suddenly a modern thing - plenty of City managers can say they bought a player, improved them and sold them on for a profit - funny how that is deemed a ‘big thing’ these days -  we signed Akinbiyi for £1.2m and sold him for £3.5m - whoopee doo ... I doubt any of our managers involved in his development and onward sale would have kept a ‘presentation on him’ ... and should Tony Pulis put together a presentation because he sold youth team graduate Jim Brennan to Forest for £1.5m under his watch?! Although Osman, Lennartsson, Jordan and Ward also had influence on his career as managers ... lots of presentations there!

20 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, yet LJ still has zero proper achievements on his CV - but you seem to think developing a player for a profit is suddenly a modern thing 

1) Define a proper achievement and why. Surely silverware is a proper achievement….

2) Why should Johnson not claim credit for developing a  Player under his watch and increasing his value? 

10 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Genuinely dissapointed this is not a thread on the superior toasting qualities of Warburtons Toastie bread, which I happen to think is best in class

What is the class? Maybe, “best toast in 32 years”?

Edited by GreedyHarry

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Feel sorry for Warburton.  They've had a decent end to the season and I think he deserved butter....

They had progressed well, 13th - 9th, then started the season well (after finishing last year well) . That's fans for you, a lot of short term and deluded thinking. Many of their fans felt they should be in the Playoffs, TBF I had them nailed on PO spot at the start. It's not that straight forward though. Not sure who comes in now, if my QPR mate is down tomorrow no doubt it will come up, will be interesting though.

15 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

1) Define a proper achievement and why. Surely silverware is a proper achievement….

2) Why should Johnson not claim credit for developing a  Player under his watch and increasing his value? 

What I meant was, I don’t think a club of QPR’s stature would hire a manager/head coach whose only ‘achievement’ in a seven year managerial career is a triumph in a very minor cup competition with a club the size of Sunderland. 

QPR’s owner and board would probably expect Sunderland to win a trophy only open to teams in div 3 and div 4 (and a few ‘age group’ teams from higher clubs) rather than be impressed by their win. And they will be acutely aware that all of QPR’s extremely close neighbours (Chelsea, Brentford and Fulham) are light years ahead of them at the moment - I think QPR will be looking for a manager who can demonstrate success at their level rather than a relatively meaningless victory in a very minor cup competition. 

And just to elaborate on that last point a bit - yes, I was present at all of our appearances in the final of the same competition but I very much saw them all as a good day out and I wasn’t really bothered when we lost - some City fans in front of me were in tears at the final whistle when we lost to Stoke City at Wembley - and they were not youngsters - I couldn’t believe it. I’ve also found it a bit cringeworthy when people talk of our ‘double winning season’ under Cotts - yes it’s always nice to win a trophy but I’ve never counted winning the Football League Trophy as being a major achievement - to me, winning the league one title meant much, much, much more - that was a proper trophy and I’ll never forget Cotts and that squad bringing home our first major trophy for 60 years (yes, I know we won the Anglo Scottish Cup in 1978!).

And to address your second point - of course LJ should take credit for making a profit on a player - but your original reply to me indicated that you thought developing a player, and selling them on for more money than they cost, was somehow a modern phenomenon - yet we’ve been doing that for decades.

Anyway, happy Friday to you and hope you have a cool weekend, cheers ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 2

Warburton has been at QPR for 3 years and Mowbray at Blackburn for 5. That’s a long time for owners who want to win something, but haven’t. It’s a ruthless world for football mangers, so they expect to get the sack on a regular basis. 

Was just thinking. It’s actually highly unusual for a manager to actually see out the length of his contract. They either get sacked, poached or extended. Don’t think I’ve seen it very much before where they just see out the length of contract and then leave. Unlike players. Must rarely happen with managers. For 2 in the same division (and at the top end of that division for that matter) to suddenly occur is somewhat unusual. 

On 28/04/2022 at 13:20, GrahamC said:

Think he’s a decent manager who has done a good job, but their slide down the league seems to have cost him.

Wouldn’t be shocked if the same thing happens to Mowbray, another good manager.

Mowbray also said he’s not been offered anything yet

edit realise I’ve been beaten to this a few times!

Edited by MarcusX