IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

Basically says that we will take up the year extension, that no breakthrough on an actual new contract yet but that his relationship with NP could be key to him staying.

https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-city/bond-with-nigel-pearson-offers-best-hope-that-bristol-city-can-hold-on-to-their-best-stars-3667245

I think we could have a tough decision to make in the next 12-18 months. Although 2 years away is 2 years away.

Feel free to merge if already a thread, stick it in the main forum if appropriate etc.

He also said his representatives have turned down two offers already. He'll be a massive loss but I think we should sell this transfer window to retain value in the player. Massengo will go this summer but for cheaper than we should get because of the lack of time left on his contract. We don't want to be in that situation or even worse a Diedhiou outcome in two years.

2 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

He also said his representatives have turned down two offers already. He'll be a massive loss but I think we should sell this transfer window to retain value in the player. 

If he carry's on his rate of progression next year, he will be worth even more. Get another year out of him, and then sell him. The club extending his deal is exactly the right thing to do.

• Like 12
  • Robin 1

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

If he carry's on his rate of progression next year, he will be worth even more. Get another year out of him, and then sell him. The club extending his deal is exactly the right thing to do.

Of course its the best thing to do but he'll only have a year left if he doesn't sign.

He's got prem clubs circling who will atleast triple his wages and he'll get to play in the top league that's very hard to compete with. If he has only one year remaining next year we are held to ransom by clubs knowing they'll get him via tribunal at the end of his contract on the cheap.

It's a tough decision. 

Do we run the risk of losing him this summer, but have the benefit of a bidding war commence amongst many teams, thus driving up his price. Bournemouth will have money to spend, and could surpass the Lloyd Kelly deal. 

Or do we enter into next season, hoping he replicates the fantastic form of this past season, and try to do all we can to secure him on a new contract. 

One thing we need to be sure of, is to not sell in January. The January market has proved to not be as high-spending as the summer. Therefore, if we are to sell, it must be now, or in a year's time. 

My main concern would be how well prepared are we for his departure. I struggle to see a like-for-like replacement that could arrive. The reason for this concern is that we seem to have a perfect blend of styles with Semenyo - Martin - Weimann. Bringing in a player with a different style of play would set us back to square one. 

We can't afford to see yet another key player run their contract down into the last year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gol said:

On the bournmouth end thwir local reporter thinks something could happen https://www.dorset.live/sport/football/football-news/cherries-mailbox-premier-league-prediction-7061460

6ACBC0A7-3D18-452B-953E-246AB272532C.jpeg

From that list of targets, they will be playing championship football again after one season. 

Good championship players, but surely they must be aiming higher. 

• Like 1

Think that Fulham will show their hand soon, too.

Should Forest win the playoffs it is highly likely that all 3 promoted sides will be in for him.

Seems probable to me that he will then be with one of them by the start of the new season.

Very difficult to replace, as we don’t have anyone on our books who possesses the same qualities as he does.

• Like 3

No thank be on the market we could replace him with that is similar either. Our whole existing style of play comes crashing down without his qualities. Weimann and Martin certainly wouldn’t be as successful. He’s a must keep for me. Long term deal with the promise of a sale at certain value should we not go up by end of next season

• Like 1

1 year contract extension will be triggered in couple weeks, so essentially he'll have 2 year contract.

We've offered new contracts and twice been rejected - even if a new contract is agreed it still wouldn't potentially stopping him moving if another club came in for him.

City obv have a selling price and will only sell IF this is met, the only other factor would be if Semenyo asks to leave......

IMO I dont think we'll be seeing Semenyo at the club next season, given his characteristics lots of Prem clubs (lower end) will be queuing up for him causing a bidding war. Just like the Kelly deal, it wouldnt surprise me if Bournemouth came in with early high bid to gazump other teams. 

15 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

He’s got another season in him hear with 2 years on his contract. No idea why people are panicking about losing him for free. Next we’ll be needing to cash in on players with 3 years left ‘just in case’

If he won't sign a new deal that's discouraging but otoh we do once the extension activated have 2 years to work on it...once it gets into the final 6-12 months though it's a worry.

10 minutes ago, brad blit said:

1 year contract extension will be triggered in couple weeks, so essentially he'll have 2 year contract.

We've offered new contracts and twice been rejected - even if a new contract is agreed it still wouldn't potentially stopping him moving if another club came in for him.

City obv have a selling price and will only sell IF this is met, the only other factor would be if Semenyo asks to leave......

IMO I dont think we'll be seeing Semenyo at the club next season, given his characteristics lots of Prem clubs (lower end) will be queuing up for him causing a bidding war. Just like the Kelly deal, it wouldnt surprise me if Bournemouth came in with early high bid to gazump other teams. 

As long as him and his agent know the kind of fee City would accept that’s fine.  If we get an offer at that valuation, assuming he wants to go, he’ll go.  It is what it is.  I don’t want him to go, I think he’d benefit from another season here….but my view is immaterial.

Would be a blow, but it’s how we react to it that counts.

Welded to a front 2 with one behind….suddenly other options come into play.  Could play Martin alone, with two behind him for example.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As long as him and his agent know the kind of fee City would accept that’s fine.  If we get an offer at that valuation, assuming he wants to go, he’ll go.  It is what it is.  I don’t want him to go, I think he’d benefit from another season here….but my view is immaterial.

Welded to a front 2 with one behind….suddenly other options come into play.  Could play Martin alone, with two behind him for example.

I agree, he needs another year of championship football.

I do think that as difficult as he is to replace now might be the best time for him to go. Hugely important player but we aren't particularly tied to a style/system at the moment. In 12 months time, when we're hopefully entrenched in one way of playing, all of a sudden we need a much more specific profile of player to replace him. 

Appreciate it's not football manager but if we can we should be offering key first team player wages, if he won't sign this summer then we have our answer and start to plan for life without him.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If we were a possession team - and we know the answer to that because Pearson says after every game that we're not. 

If Semenyo leaves, how we replace him determines our entire season.  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 4

I think we would have been in a proper relegation battle had he not returned around Christmas time.

His pace and power gives us another dimension and allows us to play more in the final third, which in turn, helps both Martin and Weimann.

I would love to see him stay but if we start receiving big bids then i fear he will be off.

• Like 2

Definitely gives us a new dimension, and the opposition something to think about as a result.

Had a quick look, not bothered to dive into starts vs sub appearances etc but with him in the side we have gained 39 pts from 30 games- although that said, it says he has played 31 this season on Sofascore in the Championship but I counted them and it came to 30. Nope checked again, 31 it is.

Either way undoubtedly more effective and dangerous with him than without.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Losing semenyo to Bournemouth would be such a sickener. To me the exemplify so much of what is wrong in modern football, breached FFP, invested poorly in first season down, and then pretty much bought promotion, all on crowds of 12k. Sign of the times I guess, but it is a tough one to stomach. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

From that list of targets, they will be playing championship football again after one season. 

Good championship players, but surely they must be aiming higher. 

In theory although Championship players form a lower base can be taken further and higher with the right management- see Bournemouth under Howe, Wilder year 1 at Sheffield United, Brentford currently, Leeds under Bielsa year 1.

Of course it is then a question as to how highly we rate Scott Parker to do loads with less. Pretty modest or less IMO. Don't see him as anything special just yet- showered with resources at this level so far.

5 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Do both parties have to agree to the year extension? 

Club can activate it unilaterally I believe. Every contract different though probably.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been told this morning that Fulham are interested along with several other clubs. That may or may not be news to some! 

Either way it seems a bidding war is brewing up nicely. 

what’s the most ever paid for a Championship player, anyone know?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I’ve been told this morning that Fulham are interested along with several other clubs. That may or may not be news to some! 

Either way it seems a bidding war is brewing up nicely. 

what’s the most ever paid for a Championship player, anyone know?

Ollie Watkins £33m (according to google)

Jarrod Bowen is next at £22m after scoring bag fulls of goals.

Semenyo will be £15-20m but only if we want to sell and I wouldn't for less than £25m

Edited by Sir Geoff
extra text

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Ollie Watkins £33m (according to google)

Jarrod Bowen is next at £22m after scoring bag fulls of goals.

Semenyo will be £15-20m but only if we want to sell and I wouldn't for less than £25m

There’s a fair chance Antoine could go to the World Cup with Ghana.  If he plays, and plays well, his value could rocket.  Definitely worth holding onto until at least Jan 2023.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malago said:

There’s a fair chance Antoine could go to the World Cup with Ghana.  If he plays, and plays well, his value could rocket.  Definitely worth holding onto until at least Jan 2023.

Yes there are multiple factors aren’t there. It’s a matter of resistance. The kid is hotter than a hot thing on heat, whether we like it or not. At what level can City resist to this summer? My personal opinion is what if any sell ons we get. Webster, Brownhill, Kelly all have interest but there are others, for example Ayling etc. Then you look at HNM, Kalas, Scott, Weimann etc all with obvious value. Palmer probably will require support but slightly lower league clubs mat be interested in Janneh, Vyner among others. Yep multiple factors as you allude!

Edited by REDOXO

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

Money talks, and IMHO he is not going anywhere this summer for anything under £20M It will take a very very large number, because for once, the club wants to try and get promoted with these players. Pearson it would seem has not asked for transfer money as such (as it is not there anyway)  but to keep the best players we develop together for a reasonable time to enable progress

I remember seeing an interview with Mourinho where he made some interesting points around this.

He essentially stated that the key piece of business his Porto side did in going from Europa League winners to Champions League winners was to simply hold onto their best players. 

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Scott in behind martin and weimann i guess?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Scott in behind martin and weimann i guess?

I quite like the idea of Martin on his own with two behind, Weimann being one of them. Scott, I still fancy playing in a more conventional CM role, coming from deeper.  Maybe Sykes might fit the bill?

I felt like he would stay with previous links to Forest, Palace iirc but this link to Bournemouth really worries me. 

That's the type of player they would sign and then maybe sell on for more like Kelly, Wilson, Ake and Mings. 

Martin and Weimann without Semenyo is a massive difference. Always look less dangerous whenever he comes off for Wells or whoever.

Unless Conway comes in and is given an opportunity, we would really have to invest smartly in another forward with pace. 

Hopefully they get starry-eyed in the Prem and look at other options instead.

• Like 1

I think out of all the players in the squad, he's the most difficult to replace, with Andi a very close 2nd. Would be gutted if he left as just have a feeling next season his and Weimann numbers will be swapped around. Then we're looking at double of what we can get now. Scott and HNM to go before Semenyo does, if we are looking to cash in that is. 

• Like 2

If we really want to keep our best players and Semenyo doesn’t have a release clause in his contract (I doubt he does), City should stand firm and sell next summer. 

Semenyo comes across as a grounded, humble lad and doesn’t strike me as the sort to sulk if we don’t play ball, and as others have said, he’d benefit from another season with us. 

I hate the thought of him going to a club like Bournemouth. A tiny club who will return to this level in 2023/24. It would be a step down for Semenyo IMO.

• Like 1

I don’t think we will sell him this summer, I think our model has changed slightly. Under previous CEO Semenyo would be all but gone already, with all parties involved gaining a nice bit of dough and limelight along the way. In fact I would imagine we would’ve been actively talking to agents. Of course, under the old model a replacement would’ve been bought, who again would’ve suited all parties from a financial perspective. 

New regime won’t turn down a crazy offer - which I think only a few prem clubs would do, but will try and get him to Jan 23 minimum before we cash in. Fairly confident he will be here first game of season, really hope I am right!

Some interesting points made so far, from my perspective AS is clearly a talent and on his day and in the mood is a total handful for defenders, but not convinced he is Prem ready yet, as in some games this year, notably Forest, the defenders had him sussed and pretty much kept him quiet. The quality of defending in the Prem is that much higher, an example of this is how ordinary Mitrovich looks against Prem defenders, so I suspect AS will not carry the same potential threat up there at this stage in his career as he does in the Championship.

Money talks of course, but his football development would be more suited to have 45 games in the Championship than 20 mins here or there in the Prem, or in the case of Bournemouth, in a team likely to come straight back down.

Unless the club is looking to put some funds back into the balance sheet to prevent any FFP concerns now , then activate the extra year, if he progresses like he's capable of then by the end of next season he'd be worth double the sort of numbers that people are punting about now, or he could be play-off bound in a City shirt...

20 minutes ago, tin said:

If we really want to keep our best players and Semenyo doesn’t have a release clause in his contract (I doubt he does), City should stand firm and sell next summer. 

Semenyo comes across as a grounded, humble lad and doesn’t strike me as the sort to sulk if we don’t play ball, and as others have said, he’d benefit from another season with us. 

I hate the thought of him going to a club like Bournemouth. A tiny club who will return to this level in 2023/24. It would be a step down for Semenyo IMO.

I agree and don't want him to go to Bournemouth, definitely wouldn't be a step down though.

FWIW I think he'll have a Bobby Reid level career. Get some prem minutes at some point but not set the world on fire, before becoming a regular player for one of the yo-yo clubs. That feels like his peak to me.

8 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I agree and don't want him to go to Bournemouth, definitely wouldn't be a step down though.

FWIW I think he'll have a Bobby Reid level career. Get some prem minutes at some point but not set the world on fire, before becoming a regular player for one of the yo-yo clubs. That feels like his peak to me.

Antoine's a far better player than Reid at the same age, has almost limitless potential to improve, and imo will go on to become a regular starter at a club far bigger and more established in the PL than Cardiff or Fulham.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Antoine's a far better player than Reid at the same age, has almost limitless potential to improve, and imo will go on to become a regular starter at a club far bigger and more established in the PL than Cardiff or Fulham.

I guess we'll see.

7 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I guess we'll see.

Of course.

Multiple factors could derail him, injuries the most obvious one, wrong career move stalling him another, but he is unusually powerful and dynamic for a young player and even at a young age can torment Championship defences.

We sold Reid on the back of one outstanding season in about 7, 2 of those in League 1 at about Antoine's age, where he didn't shine.

Antoine is far more advanced and becoming occasionally unplayable at Championship level already, with far more to come.

His ceiling is far higher than Reid's imo., and the likely fee, should we - sadly - sell him, says it all.

From all accounts we won't sell unless we're offered at least double what we got for Bobby.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Galley is our king said:

I don't mind if he's sold for a good price or stays and signs a new contract.

What must NOT happen is he leaves for nothing like FD!!! Another brilliant piece of negotiation by Ashton.

There's not a chance that happens. We can't afford for it to.

I think if we sell this summer with 2 years left on his contract then it's £20m/£25m, if we sell next summer with 1 year left on his contract and a good enough season scoring say 10/15 goals and a good performance for Ghana then we might get £10m/£15m.

No one is going to go for £20+m on a player with a year left on there contract. I think it's difficult but we are a selling club and now will be his highest value. The extra money does make him easier to replace as well although as already stated in not sure where we get that kind of powerful player from and we certainly need it.

1 hour ago, Galley is our king said:

I don't mind if he's sold for a good price or stays and signs a new contract.

What must NOT happen is he leaves for nothing like FD!!! Another brilliant piece of negotiation by Ashton.

And our owner who sanctioned the 'value on the pitch.'

• Like 1

He would be a loss - I was not convinced about him, but he has completely proved me wrong.

There will obviously be offers this summer and in my opinion it will be the lad himself and, of course his agent, that will have the final say on what happens.

If his head gets turned by a PL club and ££ he will go. I think some of the numbers talked about are fanciful, if someone offers £10m he will be off.

It is far from clear how the market will pan out this summer at our level, but in the PL it will be business as usual.

• Haha 1

On 11/05/2022 at 11:53, GrahamC said:

Think that Fulham will show their hand soon, too.

Should Forest win the playoffs it is highly likely that all 3 promoted sides will be in for him.

Seems probable to me that he will then be with one of them by the start of the new season.

Very difficult to replace, as we don’t have anyone on our books who possesses the same qualities as he does.

For me, Antoine's the only City player with the 'wow' factor. He's a joy to watch, combining great upper body strength, quick feet and a turn of pace that terrorises defenders, face on or with back to goal. 

His two goals at Craven Cottage in January were top Premier League class and I'm excited for next season if he stays.

Pretty please.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 8

8 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

For me, Antoine's the only City player with the 'wow' factor. He's a joy to watch, combining great upper body strength, quick feet and a turn of pace that terrorises defenders, face on or with back to goal. 

His two goals at Craven Cottage last season were top Premier League class and I'm excited for next season if he stays.

Pretty please.

He is a joy to watch but to say he’s the ‘ only ‘ City player with the wow factor is a bit unfair. For attacking prowess Weimann has had many of us out of our seats. There is a lot more to come from Scott as well. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He is a joy to watch but to say he’s the ‘ only ‘ City player with the wow factor is a bit unfair. For attacking prowess Weimann has had many of us out of our seats. There is a lot more to come from Scott as well. 

I meant no disrespect Major and you're right about Scott and our Andi. It's just that I haven't seen a City player wriggle free from defenders like a modern day Houdini since Tony Rougier (or Anthony. It's an in joke). That's what makes Antoine unique to our squad.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

His two goals at Craven Cottage in January were top Premier League class and I'm excited for next season if he stays.

Pretty please.

And arguably most important is that he pulls defenders out of place and creates space for others. It was no coincidence that we started scoring regularly when he started starting.

• Like 4

On 11/05/2022 at 11:27, RedRoss said:

He also said his representatives have turned down two offers already. He'll be a massive loss but I think we should sell this transfer window to retain value in the player. Massengo will go this summer but for cheaper than we should get because of the lack of time left on his contract. We don't want to be in that situation or even worse a Diedhiou outcome in two years.

At this rate, we’ll be looking to maximise our return by selling players six months after we buy them!

I know what you mean though. Maybe there are just some instances where you accept that the fee paid is what secures that player for 3-4 years? Hard to do in our financial position, I recognise. 

On 15/05/2022 at 09:47, Major Isewater said:

I think the difference is that when Weimann isn’t scoring he’s often quite anonymous. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Apart from.when he's creating, or tracking back or holding up the ball or making Intelligent runs or drawing players out of position

Apart from all that he's quite anonymous 

Exactly that, what an awful post. Weimann is our most important player. Key to how we play

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Apart from.when he's creating, or tracking back or holding up the ball or making Intelligent runs or drawing players out of position

Apart from all that he's quite anonymous 

Exactly what I’m trying to say……badly, obviously! Things that are all great stuff and he’s brilliant at them, but aren’t what I’d call the ‘wow factor’ or that get you leaping out of your seat. Which is what the original comment was about. 

I’m not knocking Weimann - far from it - just saying that a lot of what he does goes far more un-noticed than a more physical, direct player like Semenyo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

I think the difference is that when Weimann isn’t scoring he’s often quite anonymous. 

Maybe to the average fan on the terraces, but anyone who knows there is more to the game will know what he brings. 

Was it against Preston where he was directing Martin into position behind his back as he was driving into the opposition half, creating a great breakaway goal? 

People within the game see his value I am sure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, italian dave said:

Exactly what I’m trying to say……badly, obviously! Things that are all great stuff and he’s brilliant at them, but aren’t what I’d call the ‘wow factor’ or that get you leaping out of your seat. Which is what the original comment was about. 

I’m not knocking Weimann - far from it - just saying that a lot of what he does goes far more un-noticed than a more physical, direct player like Semenyo.

Ahh ot didn't come across like that, thanks for the clarification 

20 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Maybe to the average fan on the terraces, but anyone who knows there is more to the game will know what he brings. 

Was it against Preston where he was directing Martin into position behind his back as he was driving into the opposition half, creating a great breakaway goal? 

People within the game see his value I am sure.

12 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Ahh ot didn't come across like that, thanks for the clarification 

Sorry...I didn't put it very well.

I'm quite sure people within the game see his value, as indeed do many fans. It's just that it's not 'wow factor' leap out of your seat type value - which is where this started.

That Preston goal being an example - and when that sort of ability doesn't result in a goal its noticed even less.

When Semenyo has the ball at his feet, two defenders in front of him, and he is ready to go at them, you can almost sense the anticipation in the crowd. Weimann tracking back, directing, making clever runs, less so.

I think that 'edge of seat' stuff is more about anticipation than it is necessarily about end product. Semenyo as above: JET receiving the ball with his back to goal. Even (dare I say it!) Palmer looking up for a pass. Often (very often in some cases) it doesn't come off, but they are players who generate that excitement.

When the whole team has an off day and we lose without putting up much of a fight, the comments on the match day thread reflect this, I think. Weimann is often described as anonymous. Semenyo is described as crap! I think that's because you notice still Semenyo on an off day, there's still the anticipation that he could do something but you're  constantly let down. Whereas Weimann making those runs that no-one picks up, trying to direct play and being ignored, drawing opponents out of position only for no-one to take advantage - that just doesn't get noticed.

Personally, I love watching defenders who can manage opposing forwards, who stay unflustered, read the approach perfectly, just steer the attacker away from trouble and into places they don't want to be. It's not edge of your seat stuff. The crowd pleasers are the ones who tackle - and again the anticipation is always there, despite the risk of them missing completely and giving the attacker a clear run - or of giving away a free kick.

And I just think that the game needs its Semenyos and its Tanners to get the crowd excited. But that's absolutely not to underestimate the Kloses and the Weimanns and the role they play. Quite the opposite in fact!

• Like 7

So if Semenyo was bought for say £20m and we need to bank a chunk of that to balance the books, is there anyone in the lower leagues we can nab for £5m as a replacement a la the Brentford model?

Or would NP choose, or be forced, to put his faith in Conway, Bell or even Edwards to step up and fill a front 3 role and could they meet the challenge.

Or is Scott ready for the in behind role, allowing Weimann to take the Semenyo role?

Edited by mozo

1 hour ago, mozo said:

So if Semenyo was bought for say £20m and we need to bank a chunk of that to balance the books, is there anyone in the lower leagues we can nab for £5m as a replacement a la the Brentford model?

Or would NP choose, or be forced, to put his faith in Conway, Bell or even Edwards to step up and fill a front 3 role and could they meet the challenge.

Or is Scott ready for the in behind role, allowing Weimann to take the Semenyo role?

Likely to have bigger clubs after him, but I would go all out for Scott Twine, £5m-£7m should be enough to secure him. 

We could offer him a route to Prem football should he do well, which in turn could secure us another huge fee in the future. 

Not a like-for-like with Semenyo, but has all the attributes required to be a success at this level. He can play either out wide, or centrally, and could rotate positionally with Weimann. 

That said, Norwich, Burnley and many others have already been credited with an interest in him. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Good question, as we can see what Antoine brings and it is something we have missed for years . Nige clearly likes Conway , whilst he has pace, he does not have that extreme power and strength Antoine has. There will be another out there for sure, maybe not in our lower leagues, maybe abroad. Some of the scouting group may have ideas. But the impact of having such a powerhouse is very very clear . Now I've seen it... I want to see more ! I love watching Antoine, it is years since I have seen a City forward be almost unplayable. His 2 goals against Fulham, against 2 of the most expensive and capable defenders in the league, was sensational. He reminds me a little of Antonio at WHU . I dream of keeping him one more season, as it would make our outside chances of replicating Forest or Huddersfield almost possible . 

When a manager is building a team from a squad of players, the ace in the pack is usually the final place that is filled.

We have what my Dad used to call the "Tin Opener", usually a midfield creator of chances. But Semenyo is an attacking one who for a club in our position, is almost priceless. Keep him for another year or two and we have a great chance of getting there!

There is the Prem, if anyone's in doubt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Why would anybody even consider changing Weimanns position? 

Top goalscorer, best season for us since arriving, why would you move him?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Likely to have bigger clubs after him, but I would go all out for Scott Twine, £5m-£7m should be enough to secure him. 

We could offer him a route to Prem football should he do well, which in turn could secure us another huge fee in the future. 

Not a like-for-like with Semenyo, but has all the attributes required to be a success at this level. He can play either out wide, or centrally, and could rotate positionally with Weimann. 

That said, Norwich, Burnley and many others have already been credited with an interest in him. 

I really like Twine, @Harryadores him!

I just have a nagging doubt about his ceiling, and wonder why no Champ clubs took him last summer.  Can’t really explain it other than that….and whilst I’d have been delighted to have taken him for compo off Swindon last summer, I’m not sure I’d pay £5m+ for him this summer.

Semenyo at 22 is a bit of a freak strength wise at this level….Keinan Davis is 24 and although has more strength isn’t as explosive as Antoine.  He’s 3 forwards built into 1, and would be very difficult / impossible to replace like for like on the sort of money we will have available should Antoine leave.

I like Daniel Udoh (26 in Aug) at Shrewsbury, not in Semenyo’s class, but I sense he’s on an upward trend, having come up through non-league.  I hope Wilbs has been an influence on him.  Would still be a gamble to think Udoh could replace Semenyo, but I wonder whether Nige would have to evolve the forward line of Antoine went anyway?

The other player I wouldn’t turn my nose up as a real punt, would be Cole Stockton.  But that would be a gamble…having said that people said he wouldn’t score at Lg1 level.  I was chatting to @Sheltons Armylast night, and I’m quite drawn to players who perform in poor sides….Stockton is one of those, Rudoni (Wimbledon) is another.

But it’s gonna be interesting to see what happens with Semenyo and also how our forward line might shape up over the summer…Wells might leave a gap anyway, let alone Antoine.