IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This is the thing, we shouldn’t be trying to justify this on “fair price”, we should be weighing up the various dynamics, especially as the selling club.

Bristol City:

• passing FFP (down boy down Mr P ?)
  • we’ve said we don’t need to sell
  • He’s a striker / premium price for that position
  • He’s young, has upside
  • he’s got the attributes of power and pace that are generally needed in the PL
  • its January / premium paid in this window
  • etc

Bournemouth:

• all of the pluses of being in the PL, wages etc
  • all the minuses that they might be relegated
  • does Antoine get a 40-50% wage reduction if they go down
  • Is he gonna play over Moore, Solanke, Ouattara, etc
  • Etc

and as it stands, he’s our player, he’s contracted to Summer 2024.  The fee will be what it will be, but we need to be looking after ourselves, it’s not about being fair…it’s about supply and demand.

I agree all those dynamics will have an effect on the final decision but they also don’t allow you to change reality. The reality is we have an inconsistent young striker with potential, who he 18-months left on his contract. If we don’t sell now they is a very good chance he continues being inconsistent until the end of the season. We then have the same situation but with a 12-month contract, meaning his value reduces. My fear is we are then forced into selling below his market value and certainly below what’s currently being offered. 

I think 10m would be a good deal for all parties, although admittedly I don’t know the details of how they want to pay as we would need a substantial amount up front to make it worthwhile. 

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This is the thing, we shouldn’t be trying to justify this on “fair price”, we should be weighing up the various dynamics, especially as the selling club.

Bristol City:

• He’s young, has upside
  • etc

Bournemouth:

• Etc

and as it stands, he’s our player, he’s contracted to Summer 2024.  The fee will be what it will be, but we need to be looking after ourselves, it’s not about being fair…it’s about supply and demand.

Depends on the liquidity of the buying club.  City are tending to pay most if not all of their fees up front, and using that as bargaining power.  Not every club has an owner who will keep a club making such big losses so liquid.  It also means that we can accommodate other clubs buying our player “on credit” (staged payments), and we can charge them extra for the privilege.  As a crude example, so you want Antoine Semenyo, £15m in one hit, or £18m (£6m now, £6m in a year’s time, another £6m the year after).

I agree that most clubs aren’t as liquid as us though.

Just on the Bournemouth being relegated scenario, I don't see that as much of a deterrent for Semenyo.

He would get 5 months as a Prem player guaranteed. If they go down he'll almost certainly have a salary reduction clause, but would still end up on loads more than whatever contract we've offered. He'd also then be playing for a team that is odds on for promotion. 

In terms of career progression it ticks every box even if they go down.

The only caveat to that is if there would be a possibility to earn a move to a more established Prem club in the summer. 

It seems pretty conclusive that he's agreed personal terms and we've seen one journo allude to Antoine pushing for the move, so I'd presume he and his agent agree with this.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, maxjak said:

Bournemouth have now offered 8 mill.......and then 10 mill for our prized asset.....apparently?   That is well below our asking price?  It is disruptive and unrealistic, and why the hell would Antoine want to go to a team who will probably be playing in our division next season?   He is far better off staying here, and showing what an outstanding talent he is over the next half a season.......thus provoking a far better deal for himself, and superior financial rewards, and also playing for a far better team than the South Coast fly by nights?  Please Stick around Antoine......and show the real Premiership sides what they will be missing out on?  Ha!!

I can think of 50,000 reasons why he might want the move .....

Fair play to the club for sticking to their guns so long as we don’t have another Massengo situation on our hands in 6 months time. 

Unlikely I know because he’s more sought after but it’s still a possibility if he gets injured or nobody meets our asking price again in the summer. 

Im in the trust Gould and Pearson camp on this one. 

Edited by Kibs

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The summer if not now is definitely the best time for it provided Semenyo doesn't wish to extend. 

Maybe we can push it up to £15-20m IF he really gets going between now and May.

The one thing that is clear is he won’t extend his contract & I’d be absolutely amazed if we got anywhere near that figure.

He wants to go now if he can, the choice for us is trying to maximise what we get & bring in potentially a short term replacement (a lot depends on how quickly Weimann & Conway will be available) or make him stay, potentially have to accept a lower offer in the summer & have a player who really doesn’t want to be here in the squad.

Tough call but if someone (maybe Bournemouth) comes back with a higher bid early next week I think we will sell.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

3 weeks ago we had a poor team heading for relegation. One league win later and we can afford to lose a £15m rated forward in the midst of an minor injury crisis.

Riiiiiiight.

Not all fans felt/feel we had a poor team. Many felt we had an inconsistent team being hindered by a formation that doesn't work for us, and a manager who refused to play players in their best positions. Oddly enough he finally scrapped the 3-5-2 5-3-2 and playing square pegs in round holes, and we've found a bit of form and starting to be more consistent. 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bristol City:

• He’s young, has upside
  • etc

Bournemouth:

• Etc

Depends on the liquidity of the buying club.  City are tending to pay most if not all of their fees up front, and using that as bargaining power.  Not every club has an owner who will keep a club making such big losses so liquid.  It also means that we can accommodate other clubs buying our player “on credit” (staged payments), and we can charge them extra for the privilege.  As a crude example, so you want Antoine Semenyo, £15m in one hit, or £18m (£6m now, £6m in a year’s time, another £6m the year after).

I agree that most clubs aren’t as liquid as us though.

Would you try to get keiffer moore in as part of the deal dave?

7 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

I'll rephrase, a high number of fans calling for a managers head and discontent in the stands. 

If by high number you mean about a hundred in S82 who all left with 15 minutes remaining of the WBA game and about a dozen near the back of the South stand then you're correct. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

I think he'll probably be off this window unfortunately.

As KITR said, all factors mentioned indicate this is moving along well.

It's a shame because I've really enjoyed his development in the last 18 months. With the right coaching and in the right team, I think he could develop really nicely. His ceiling is a bit higher than most 23 year olds because his development as a teenager wasn't through a conventional academy so he's still pretty raw.

Not sure if Bournemouth is the best move for him given they look likely to come back down. Provided he plays regularly it could be a good next step up as even if they get relegated you'd expect them to challenge at the top of this league next season.

The key will be replacing him. He's pretty unique stylistically to what we have, so it's not as easy as just saying Sam Bell because they're totally different styles of player. We'd need someone mobile, strong and athletic to replace him. Hopefully we've already identified a few. Pearson has had a good eye for a forward throughout his career so I'm fairly positive about potential replacements. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Two things that quite strongly suggest this will happen soon:

1) Antoine has already agreed terms so obviously wants to go

2) The stories leaking the bids are from the Bournemouth side, meaning this is being done deliberately to put pressure on City to sell, and of course to unsettle Antoine.

Can't help get the feeling that when a player wants to move(refusing to sign a new contract), starts pushing for that move (agreed terms); that the general momentum gathers pace. Regardless of the transfer fee involved

Ultimately, we don't know the Semenyo that is going to play tomorrow. Will his head be elsewhere against Blackburn, or will he be able to put all of this behind him for what is a crucial game?

I'm reminded of Joe Bryan's last game against Forest, you could tell it was his last game for the club; and he wasn't at the races. Fingers crossed Antoine is able to finish with a flurry.

2 hours ago, Bobbie said:

I agree all those dynamics will have an effect on the final decision but they also don’t allow you to change reality. The reality is we have an inconsistent young striker with potential, who he 18-months left on his contract. If we don’t sell now they is a very good chance he continues being inconsistent until the end of the season. We then have the same situation but with a 12-month contract, meaning his value reduces. My fear is we are then forced into selling below his market value and certainly below what’s currently being offered. 

I think 10m would be a good deal for all parties, although admittedly I don’t know the details of how they want to pay as we would need a substantial amount up front to make it worthwhile. 

We will probably to continue to come at this from different angles.

I don’t disagree that this window “might” be the best window to sell him in, but if that is so, then you try to maximise it, because we hold the strong hand at this point (subject to change quickly in the world of football).

You seem to really undersell Antoine’s ability, consistent or not.  The fact that several PL teams are interested (some have bid) shows they believe he had PL ability, whether that’s consistent or inconsistent and NOW not just potential.  He has the physical attributes that clubs want.  They see it as something that gives him a better chance of being a success.  At his current inconsistency he has still got 7g / 2a in 1476 minutes of football.  At his average he’s scoring at a level that starts to stand out.

Again, your focus seems to be on fair price / market value for all parties, **** the other party, we want this to be the best deal for Bristol City.  There isn’t really a market to compare against is there, every transfer is different.  Was Adam Nagy to Pisa for free and a £750k impairment in the books a fair price / market value for an international with 50+ caps?

Bournemouth allegedly went from 6+2 to 8+2 in the blink of an eye….I just think we are right to play hardball on this one.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Just on the Bournemouth being relegated scenario, I don't see that as much of a deterrent for Semenyo.

He would get 5 months as a Prem player guaranteed. If they go down he'll almost certainly have a salary reduction clause, but would still end up on loads more than whatever contract we've offered. He'd also then be playing for a team that is odds on for promotion. 

In terms of career progression it ticks every box even if they go down.

The only caveat to that is if there would be a possibility to earn a move to a more established Prem club in the summer. 

It seems pretty conclusive that he's agreed personal terms and we've seen one journo allude to Antoine pushing for the move, so I'd presume he and his agent agree with this.

And that’s a big caveat, especially if he can reignite interest from someone like Palace.

I’m not sure it is conclusive re personal terms.  But I’m not ITK, so just have a different gut feel to you.

49 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Would you try to get keiffer moore in as part of the deal dave?

No, mainly because he wouldn’t come here, but also because he’d break our wage structure I suspect, he’s 30, has a history of niggly injuries.  I’d rather look for a player we’ve been scouting for our specific needs with growth.  I guess on loan you might.  I dunno.

• Like 5

Just now, Davefevs said:

We will probably to continue to come at this from different angles.

I don’t disagree that this window “might” be the best window to sell him in, but if that is so, then you try to maximise it, because we hold the strong hand at this point (subject to change quickly in the world of football).

You seem to really undersell Antoine’s ability, consistent or not.  The fact that several PL teams are interested (some have bid) shows they believe he had PL ability, whether that’s consistent or inconsistent and NOW not just potential.  He has the physical attributes that clubs want.  They see it as something that gives him a better chance of being a success.  At his current inconsistency he has still got 7g / 2a in 1476 minutes of football.  At his average he’s scoring at a level that starts to stand out.

Again, your focus seems to be on fair price / market value for all parties, **** the other party, we want this to be the best deal for Bristol City.  There isn’t really a market to compare against is there, every transfer is different.  Was Adam Nagy to Pisa for free and a £750k impairment in the books a fair price / market value for an international with 50+ caps?

Bournemouth allegedly went from 6+2 to 8+2 in the blink of an eye….I just think we are right to play hardball on this one.

And that’s a big caveat, especially if he can reignite interest from someone like Palace.

I’m not sure it is conclusive re personal terms.  But I’m not ITK, so just have a different gut feel to you.

No, mainly because he wouldn’t come here, but also because he’d break our wage structure I suspect, he’s 30, has a history of niggly injuries.  I’d rather look for a player we’ve been scouting for our specific needs with growth.  I guess on loan you might.  I dunno.

A six + feet lump who as stated gets niggly injuries, lots of yellow cards is not how Pearson wants to play up front.

He wants those with real pace over first ten yards that leaves even top international central defenders in the wake. Body strength is more important than being an aerial battler when the ball usually goes in the wrong direction.

Quick passing to split defenders is what we have now so why change.

These are my opinions. I haven't spoken with Nigel for about forty years when he was at Shrewsbury with Moysie.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The personal terms bit was in the Athletic piece and I rightly or wrongly trust their reporting.

I wonder if having had an injury already hamper his season, Antoine might be more inclined to seize the opportunity now. 

Either way, a failure to agree a deal now doesn't cause any major headaches. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Super said:

This made me laugh i'm guessing it's a joke!

From Bournemouth forum

I wonder if we could interest Brizzle in a swap deal for Semenyo and Alex Scott in exchange for them taking Kelly back?

I mean I'd love Kelly back! Kelly plus 20m, deal :D

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I don't have anything to fess.

Posting on forums isn't a particularly difficult thing to do, Tom? Nor is OTIB the only forum in existence? Most office jobs run through Teams, other subjects that interest me use forums, the sports interactive one seems to be the same user interface as this and that's one I have navigated and posted on for nearly 15 years!

I guess I just have some transferable skills. Maybe it's testament to the forum you've built that navigating it is so easy? Doesn't have to be a conspiracy 

Yawn. Time to fess up.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, mozo said:

The personal terms bit was in the Athletic piece and I rightly or wrongly trust their reporting.

I wonder if having had an injury already hamper his season, Antoine might be more inclined to seize the opportunity now. 

Either way, a failure to agree a deal now doesn't cause any major headaches. 

Why would we let a player discuss terms with a club before agreeing a price?  Doesn’t make sense. It’s obviously not in the interests of the club to do that as it unsettles the player and undermines the negotiating position.

Just now, YorksRed said:

Why would we let a player discuss terms with a club before agreeing a price?  Doesn’t make sense. It’s obviously not in the interests of the club to do that as it unsettles the player and undermines the negotiating position.

That type of conversation does not nessicaily have to be direct.

It is more likely to be with the players agent.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

I don't have an issue with his posts, its the fact that I'm 99% certain its a returning user.  We're actually pretty chilled about returning users as long as they're not the usual suspects which in this case I think not...   They want to email the OTIB help account and fess up we can sort it I'm sure. 

All hail the Fuher.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Agreed.

But its just as likely to be the agent putting 50k per week out there as a marker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomF said:

For someone who's only been on here for a month you sure act like you've been around much longer.

Who are you? Come on... 

Is it Superbob/Shelton whatever his name was? He seems quiet these days!

18 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Correct. 

People will say “hey, isn’t that tapping up?” but if they’re all doing it, no one is going to report it. 

It’s naive to think that discussions regarding contracts don’t start until a bid has been accepted. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Again, your focus seems to be on fair price / market value for all parties, **** the other party, we want this to be the best deal for Bristol City.

Completely agree.

Due to their Prem status, AFCB can readily afford a few £million more whereas we need to extract all that we can from the deal. This transfer window is a seller’s market; I trust the combination of RG, Phil Alexander and NP to extract the best possible deal for City. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I’m just waiting for him to don a white dinner jacket and start giving us a recipe for gravy ?.

It would be wonderful if he who can’t be named came back. My favourite OTIB thread started “I’m making gravy”

53 minutes ago, TomF said:

I don't have an issue with his posts, its the fact that I'm 99% certain its a returning user.  We're actually pretty chilled about returning users as long as they're not the usual suspects which in this case I think not...   They want to email the OTIB help account and fess up we can sort it I'm sure. 

To be honest I think it’s a tad harsh Tom. 
I believe I have a good idea who @Percy Pigis and I think it’s a user who left a few years ago but certainly not because of any misdemeanours. 
I also don’t think the current user has posted anything that ought to be considered controversial or confrontational and I think their new persona has been good to read and contributed well so far. 

#savePercy

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

What or who is Fuher?

I googled it and came up with " Hair Fuher" in the urban dictionary which is slang for the 45th President of the USA. Fuher being slang for Fu****

So was the spelling mistake Hail or Fuher ?

I think he might mean "Fewer"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

I can think of 50,000 reasons why he might want the move .....

I believe that AS is smarter than that,,,,,,,,,,and at 22 is looking for the right career move, rather than the first opportunity for a big pay packet.  He will not  be going to Bournemouth IMHO

11 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I believe that AS is smarter than that,,,,,,,,,,and at 22 is looking for the right career move, rather than the first opportunity for a big pay packet.  He will not  be going to Bournemouth IMHO

Idk going from 200-250k a year to 2.5m a year is life changer. Bournemouth tend to play an attacking brand of football even if it gets them relegated. He’d shine with them in the championship imo. All that while making enough money to have a great nee start to life in his 30s after it is all done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YorksRed said:

Quite the opposite. Much better to let a player you know is leaving sort out personal terms and then haggle over fee. If the buying club are talking seriously to the player then they know how much is fee is likely to be, so there won't be a large discrepancy between clubs. Stops clubs wasting their time haggling over a fee, thinking a deal is done only for it to then break down over personal terms.

8 minutes ago, TomF said:

I think I do too, but they were banned if it's who I think it is, for a string of personal insults and retorts.  It has been over 5+ years if it is who I think it is so if they just dropped the admin team a message letting us know it would be fine.  Most returning users have been allowed back on, as long as they've let us know. 

I’ll leave the door open for them to drop us a message. 

Ah right. I hadn’t realised they were previously banned. 
Still - I think they’ve been well-behaved so far and contributed well. 

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

Go on

Really ? Been reported online that Semenyo has agreed terms of 50K a week at Bournemouth. Therefore there's your 50,000 reasons right there not to stay at Bristol City. People will say it's not about the money, and it shouldn't be, but that's rubbish. If someone is going to offer you a salary which sets you up for life, especially in an industry which if you are lucky you have 4/5 decent contracts in and 10-15 years at most, then you are 100% not passing it up, and if someone tries to block it for you, you certainly wouldn't be happy about it.
I have no idea, how much Semenyo is on here, maybe 10K, but if the numbers banded about are true, or even half of that amount for what its worth, there is no way he would be happy about the club blocking a move, and I wouldn't blame him either. 

1 minute ago, robinforlife2 said:

Really ? Been reported online that Semenyo has agreed terms of 50K a week at Bournemouth. Therefore there's your 50,000 reasons right there not to stay at Bristol City. People will say it's not about the money, and it shouldn't be, but that's rubbish. If someone is going to offer you a salary which sets you up for life, especially in an industry which if you are lucky you have 4/5 decent contracts in and 10-15 years at most, then you are 100% not passing it up, and if someone tries to block it for you, you certainly wouldn't be happy about it.
I have no idea, how much Semenyo is on here, maybe 10K, but if the numbers banded about are true, or even half of that amount for what its worth, there is no way he would be happy about the club blocking a move, and I wouldn't blame him either. 

Don’t judge everyone by the same brush

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Dave, Dave, Dave. Absolute rookie mistake.

Its Penry the mild mannered janitor

You know what, it’s always bugged me has that.

As a complete saddo with a memory for incredibly trivial info…I was on a flight once (might’ve been easyJet, doesn’t matter) and the inflight magazine had a kids section, quizzes, word search type stuff.  I wasn’t a kid but was bored.  One of the questions was - what is the real name of Hong Kong Phooey?  My answer was of course Henry.  Wrong.  The answer was Penrod Pooch, which I thought was a bit strange.  Why would a cartoon character have another name.  It’s not like Adam West > Bruce Wayne > Batman, e.g, Penrod Pooch > Henry > HKP.

So until today, it’s always stuck in my head, but mainly as “why”.

Now I know, I guess Penry is short for Penrod.

Thanks.

And I’d never have know if it wasn’t for this pesky forum! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

You know what, it’s always bugged me has that.

As a complete saddo with a memory for incredibly trivial info…I was on a flight once (might’ve been easyJet, doesn’t matter) and the inflight magazine had a kids section, quizzes, word search type stuff.  I wasn’t a kid but was bored.  One of the questions was - what is the real name of Hong Kong Phooey?  My answer was of course Henry.  Wrong.  The answer was Penrod Pooch, which I thought was a bit strange.  Why would a cartoon character have another name.  It’s not like Adam West > Bruce Wayne > Batman, e.g, Penrod Pooch > Henry > HKP.

So until today, it’s always stuck in my head, but mainly as “why”.

Now I know, I guess Penry is short for Penrod.

Thanks.

And I’d never have know if it wasn’t for this pesky forum! ?

Voiced by Scatman Crothers. Who not only popularised scat jazz singing in the 1930s, but subsequently was the dozy orderly in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and in another Jack Nicholson film, the Shining, got an ice-axe that made his ears burn. He was Meadowlark in the Harlem Globetrotters cartoon. 

He also sang the Hong Kong Phooey theme tune. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bannerman said:

Don’t judge everyone by the same brush

Seriously?

Sorry, but I don't care what walk of life you are from, you look after yourself. If someone offered to 5x, or 10x your wages, you would go to that new job and if someone tried to block it you wouldn't be happy. 

Maybe the club and Semenyo have agreed a fee they would be happy to see him leave for, and there's an understanding in place, if an offer coming in matches that they wont stand in his way, but its a dangerous game for a player who knows he is 18 months away from a far better contract than he is on now. A contract this club can't and wont be able to give. 

Semenyo as a free agent can command a decent signing on fee, and a decent wage that would set him up for life, and he will have an agent making this very clear to him. If we want to play a 10 million pound game of pitch and toss, it's incredibly risky. He is not signing a new deal, and his stock and value is at it's highest now. We also need money to reinvest and I think anyone would agree keeping Scott, Conway and Pring and whatever their future values may be is better than keeping a player who 100% wont be here at the end of the season, and right now we can cash in for 10m. 

The club is pretty much skint, needs to reinvest and improve the squad and has to sell to do so. But by not selling Semenyo, we prevent that from happening. Holding out for the crown jewels is all well in good if your sat in the pound seats with a player very much under your control, (ie like Scott), but it is a dangerous game with a situation like Semenyo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, robinforlife2 said:

Seriously?

Sorry, but I don't care what walk of life you are from, you look after yourself. If someone offered to 5x, or 10x your wages, you would go to that new job and if someone tried to block it you wouldn't be happy. 

Maybe the club and Semenyo have agreed a fee they would be happy to see him leave for, and there's an understanding in place, if an offer coming in matches that they wont stand in his way, but its a dangerous game for a player who knows he is 18 months away from a far better contract than he is on now. A contract this club can't and wont be able to give. 

Semenyo as a free agent can command a decent signing on fee, and a decent wage that would set him up for life, and he will have an agent making this very clear to him. If we want to play a 10 million pound game of pitch and toss, it's incredibly risky. He is not signing a new deal, and his stock and value is at it's highest now. We also need money to reinvest and I think anyone would agree keeping Scott, Conway and Pring and whatever their future values may be is better than keeping a player who 100% wont be here at the end of the season, and right now we can cash in for 10m. 

The club is pretty much skint, needs to reinvest and improve the squad and has to sell to do so. But by not selling Semenyo, we prevent that from happening. Holding out for the crown jewels is all well in good if your sat in the pound seats with a player very much under your control, (ie like Scott), but it is a dangerous game with a situation like Semenyo.

But as the moment there are a lot of assumptions in what you’re suggesting, albeit you’re only going on media reports.

And as it seems very one sided media reporting, it’s probably why I’m a bit more sceptical about this and on the other side of fence.

Re cashing in now, and trying to replace….is that the best time for us to do it?  With “cash to burn” (great) can we attract the right player either on loan or as a strategic signing NOW.  The January window “pool” has reduced “fishing rights”, but also our own league position isn’t great either.  Are we attractive at this point.  Perversely it might be a financially better risk approach to have Antoine secure our place in the Championship and get a couple of million less in the summer…but when the pool has re-filled.

There seem to be so many in this thread thinking that’s it’s all about finding a nice cosy happy medium.  Why?  There are two sides to a contract too.

I appreciate I’m a broken record on this.  Sorry.

And as per @Bannerman, not everyone is motivated by money either.

And I most certainly don’t look after myself.  I feel a weight of social responsibility too and often do things that aren’t in my best interests.  That’s who I am.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But as the moment there are a lot of assumptions in what you’re suggesting, albeit you’re only going on media reports.

Yes, I have no idea about anything. Not in the know, don't know anyone in the know. The only mate I have who was a footballer, retired 15 years ago and he was rubbish and whilst he played in league one, his salary was never 4 figures a week, which shows how much the game has changed in a short time. 

And as it seems very one sided media reporting, it’s probably why I’m a bit more sceptical about this and on the other side of fence.

That's fair, you always speak your mind, have good discussion and reasoning, no one can argue with that even if they don't agree. 

Re cashing in now, and trying to replace….is that the best time for us to do it?  With “cash to burn” (great) can we attract the right player either on loan or as a strategic signing NOW.  The January window “pool” has reduced “fishing rights”, but also our own league position isn’t great either.  Are we attractive at this point.  Perversely it might be a financially better risk approach to have Antoine secure our place in the Championship and get a couple of million less in the summer…but when the pool has re-filled.

Personally I don't think we'll miss Semenyo if he is sold. That's my feeling. Granted the injury to Conway and uncertainty of his return changes that a little, but I feel that in Wells, Weimann, Conway, Bell and Sykes, we have enough forward players, that I think if we sell him, we don't need to rush into his long term replacement, as they may be here already. I would rather take the 10m now and strengthen a couple of areas we need to strengthen, than take 8m in the summer and effectively not been able to use 2m to strengthen areas of more concern.

There seem to be so many in this thread thinking that’s it’s all about finding a nice cosy happy medium.  Why?  There are two sides to a contract too.

There are, but surely you agree, he is in a better position than we are. He clearly doesn't want to sign a new deal. We've activated the extra year to protect ourselves. In the summer he becomes another Massengo? What happens if clubs think, we can have him for free in 12 months, foreign clubs think we can pre sign him in 6 months, does he get frozen out, cast aside, for basically doing what he has clearly shown he is happy to do. For me if Semenyo had any respect for the side, he could agree a 2 year extension, with a 15m release clause, and an improved wage. That way his agent can tell every club under the sun, 15m buys him , and he is protected by a contract which means if a club is willing to pay the upper end of his value they can have him, but effectively he is doing a Massengo, but not getting the same treatment yet.

I appreciate I’m a broken record on this.  Sorry.

And as per @Bannerman, not everyone is motivated by money either.

And I most certainly don’t look after myself.  I feel a weight of social responsibility too and often do things that aren’t in my best interests.  That’s who I am.

Credit to you there. Personally if a better job (money wise) came up for me tomorrow, I would be gone and if my boss tried to stop me I would just walk out. I enjoy my job, but I have bills to pay, animals to look after and at present theres a lot of month left at the end of the money.

Reply above

• Like 1