IGNORED

England Women, Champions of Europe

phantom

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Don’t think it’s a fluke. The skill was amazing.

As a keeper, you’d be getting ready for the next phase of the attack. Even by remote chance you were expecting a back heel, the most difficult ball to stop is between the legs. As near perfect a back- heel as I’ve ever seen. 

Don’t get me wrong, amazing skill. ‘Fluke’ as in it pretty much nut megged two players. No one moaning about the defender who was actually on her. Wonderful, but as a goalie I would still be thinking ‘Jammy sod’.

Going to the semi tomorrow, 10 min drive and £15, so why not.

Would usually go for the underdog, but difficult to call that with France and Germany. Extra time and sending offs I guess, but really just hoping for, and expecting, a good game.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

You'll have to remind me how the men's team got on in their last semi final?

Yes, and having been at every major England match since 1988, I’m very grateful. And I don’t need reminding, cos I was there, always. But in 2018 and 2021 we scored early, bossed the game, then sat back, lost the initiative, failed to make the right impact subs at the right time, tried to protect a 1 goal lead , let the opposition back in before running out of steam and losing. Literally the opposite of everything that occurred in the second half tonight. 

• Like 4

First time watching the womens Euro's

Was a cracking watch.  Spotted @shahanshahan flag!

Good entertaining football

Co-commentators were excellent - enjoyed Lucy having a crack about Swedish /English fans not being able to buy the empty seats - good on her

The officials weren't noticed - which for me, is the highest praise to be given.

I suspect the game may have been different had Sweden buried those early chances.

But they didn't.

On to the final - well played Lionesses

Edited by The Constant Rabbit
  • Like 3

Outrageous! The way the Lionesses took over in the second half was quite a statement. Having taken a slight lead into the half, Bronze's header early made the game a far different prospect. Then we saw how the Swedes started to look sluggish and lost heart - not a side known for that. In the first half, we looked slower and second best to the ball; in the second it was completely the reverse. Once that shift in the balance went our way there was no other outcome.

Earp's fabulous save just after was a crucial stop. It reminded me of the one she made for City (Academy) against Barca in the Champions' League quarter-final at the Gate. That sort of natural talent is rare to find.

Russo's scandalous finish shows what she is capable of, and I suspect she'll be the most expensive player in women's football in this country before long. Not only does she have the striker's instincts, but is also a real handful when defending from the front.

I feel a little sorry for Lindahl, the keeper. She had a goal scored against her that will be replayed many, many times. Having an opponent do that from that postition will be the stuff of nightmares, and Lindahl is a top class player with lots of international caps. A keeper should be alert at all times, but when a striker does pull out something at close range then its up to them to block. As it was, the shot came in low and right between her feet - a real headache to respond to with just pure reactions.

Then Kirby flighted a ball that she got both hands to but couldn't find enough strength to stop it bouncing into the net. Sad, as it will perhaps define her tournament and possibly signal the end of a glorious career.

But there is an irresistible air about the Lionesses, an air not seen before. A 'March to the Arch', no less. Is the immense input and resources granted the women's game at the top level finally being vindicated? Could the girls go the one step further than the men, at Wembley, in a European final? Worse things happen at sea...

Edited by Erithacus
typo
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, TomF said:

Would any keeper be expecting it? 

The keeper is in the scoop technique position, hands down. The hand position is for a low shot or cross. She cant go into whats called the K barrier efficiently because of her right foot being flat. Its not very good being polite.

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

I must admit I was worried about tonight’s match. Sweden are a good team and just needed to find their finishing boots from the last game. That shows how good England were. I’m sure over 10m people would have watched that as well. Amazing shot in the arm to the womens game 

Yep it was an impressive performance against the Worlds number 2 country. The swedes started off really well but thankfully didn’t manage to go ahead.

After England’s first goal you could see the Swedes struggling to cope with Englands attacking play and imo 4-0 didn’t flatter our ladies at all.

It was a well deserved win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Going to the semi tomorrow, 10 min drive and £15, so why not.

Would usually go for the underdog, but difficult to call that with France and Germany. Extra time and sending offs I guess, but really just hoping for, and expecting, a good game.

See you there, hopefully! We're on our way back to Bristol & heading up to MK tomorrow 

• Like 3

? Que Sera Sera... ?

Easily the best game I've seen at Bramall Lane (the other one being in November when City lost 2-0 & it started to snow).

Was not expecting that performance at all, from both England & Sweden.

Sitting in the back in the car back to Bristol, and then doing it all again tomorrow for the other semi-final - which at least we can enjoy as a neutral.

Glad we got tickets for the final when we applied a year ago!

DSC_9533.JPG

DSC_9535.JPG

DSC_9537.JPG

DSC_9542.JPG

DSC_9543.JPG

DSC_9545.JPG

DSC_9546.JPG

DSC_9547.JPG

DSC_9549.JPG

DSC_9550.JPG

DSC_9553.JPG

DSC_9554.JPG

DSC_9558.JPG

DSC_9559.JPG

DSC_9560.JPG

DSC_9563.JPG

DSC_9565.JPG

DSC_9566.JPG

DSC_9567.JPG

DSC_9569.JPG

DSC_9570.JPG

DSC_9571.JPG

DSC_9572.JPG

DSC_9573.JPG

DSC_9576.JPG

DSC_9577.JPG

DSC_9579.JPG

DSC_9580.JPG

DSC_9581.JPG

DSC_9582.JPG

DSC_9583.JPG

DSC_9584.JPG

DSC_9585.JPG

DSC_9586.JPG

DSC_9587.JPG

DSC_9588.JPG

DSC_9589.JPG

DSC_9590.JPG

DSC_9592.JPG

DSC_9595.JPG

DSC_9596.JPG

DSC_9598.JPG

DSC_9602.JPG

DSC_9603.JPG

DSC_9607.JPG

DSC_9608.JPG

DSC_9610.JPG

DSC_9612.JPG

DSC_9613.JPG

DSC_9615.JPG

DSC_9616.JPG

DSC_9617.JPG

DSC_9618.JPG

DSC_9620.JPG

DSC_9628.JPG

DSC_9629.JPG

DSC_9633.JPG

DSC_9634.JPG

DSC_9635.JPG

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

Just now, shahanshahan said:

? Que Sera Sera... ?

Easily the best game I've seen at Bramall Lane (and I was there in November when City lost 2-0 & it started to snow).

Sitting in the back in the car back to Bristol, and then doing it all again tomorrow for the other semi-final - which at least we can enjoy as a neutral.

DSC_9533.JPG

DSC_9535.JPG

DSC_9537.JPG

DSC_9542.JPG

DSC_9543.JPG

DSC_9545.JPG

DSC_9546.JPG

DSC_9547.JPG

DSC_9549.JPG

DSC_9550.JPG

DSC_9553.JPG

DSC_9554.JPG

DSC_9558.JPG

DSC_9559.JPG

DSC_9560.JPG

DSC_9563.JPG

DSC_9565.JPG

DSC_9566.JPG

DSC_9567.JPG

DSC_9569.JPG

DSC_9570.JPG

DSC_9571.JPG

DSC_9572.JPG

DSC_9573.JPG

DSC_9576.JPG

DSC_9577.JPG

DSC_9579.JPG

DSC_9580.JPG

DSC_9581.JPG

DSC_9582.JPG

DSC_9583.JPG

DSC_9584.JPG

DSC_9585.JPG

DSC_9586.JPG

DSC_9587.JPG

DSC_9588.JPG

DSC_9589.JPG

DSC_9590.JPG

DSC_9592.JPG

DSC_9595.JPG

DSC_9596.JPG

DSC_9598.JPG

DSC_9602.JPG

DSC_9603.JPG

DSC_9607.JPG

DSC_9608.JPG

DSC_9610.JPG

DSC_9612.JPG

DSC_9613.JPG

DSC_9615.JPG

DSC_9616.JPG

DSC_9617.JPG

DSC_9618.JPG

DSC_9620.JPG

DSC_9628.JPG

DSC_9629.JPG

DSC_9633.JPG

DSC_9634.JPG

DSC_9635.JPG

Great pics mate and impressive dedication!

got everything crossed that I can nab a ticket for Sunday with the small amount that are being released tomorrow..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

? Que Sera Sera... ?

Easily the best game I've seen at Bramall Lane (the other one being in November when City lost 2-0 & it started to snow).

DSC_9533.JPG

DSC_9535.JPG

DSC_9537.JPG

DSC_9542.JPG

DSC_9543.JPG

DSC_9545.JPG

DSC_9546.JPG

DSC_9547.JPG

DSC_9549.JPG

DSC_9550.JPG

DSC_9553.JPG

DSC_9554.JPG

DSC_9558.JPG

DSC_9559.JPG

DSC_9560.JPG

DSC_9563.JPG

DSC_9565.JPG

DSC_9566.JPG

DSC_9567.JPG

DSC_9569.JPG

DSC_9570.JPG

DSC_9571.JPG

DSC_9572.JPG

DSC_9573.JPG

DSC_9576.JPG

DSC_9577.JPG

DSC_9579.JPG

DSC_9580.JPG

DSC_9581.JPG

DSC_9582.JPG

DSC_9583.JPG

DSC_9584.JPG

DSC_9585.JPG

DSC_9586.JPG

DSC_9587.JPG

DSC_9588.JPG

DSC_9589.JPG

DSC_9590.JPG

DSC_9592.JPG

DSC_9595.JPG

DSC_9596.JPG

DSC_9598.JPG

DSC_9602.JPG

DSC_9603.JPG

DSC_9607.JPG

DSC_9608.JPG

DSC_9610.JPG

DSC_9612.JPG

DSC_9613.JPG

DSC_9615.JPG

DSC_9616.JPG

DSC_9617.JPG

DSC_9618.JPG

DSC_9620.JPG

DSC_9628.JPG

DSC_9629.JPG

DSC_9633.JPG

DSC_9634.JPG

DSC_9635.JPG

Fabulous photos, thanks for posting them. Enjoy the rest of the games ?

• Robin 1

• Admin
12 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

DSC_9567.JPG

Did anyone else notice, when Lucy Bronze was off the pace and struggling in the first 10-15 minutes the number of times that she took her hair down, re-tied it and then adjusted the band across her head

I wondered if this was something she does in the dressing room to get herself focused and she was trying to reset herself mentally to get up to speed?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, phantom said:

Did anyone else notice, when Lucy Bronze was off the pace and struggling in the first 10-15 minutes the number of times that she took her hair down, re-tied it and then adjusted the band across her head

I wondered if this was something she does in the dressing room to get herself focused and she was trying to reset herself mentally to get up to speed?

I don't know. I'll ask Luke Ayling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

That did not come at a good time.  Wife screamed just after my son got put back to sleep. 

I remember doing something similar after Michael Owen scored his wonder goal against Argentina, at the 1998 World Cup. My then 6 month old daughter was in floods of tears and I had to take her into the garden.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I remember doing something similar after Michael Owen scored his wonder goal against Argentina, at the 1998 World Cup. My then 6 month old daughter was in floods of tears and I had to take her into the garden.

Ditto, me, eldest daughter, 3 at the time, enjoying the novelty of watching telly with me at breakfast, same goalscorer, four years later v Brazil. She's not in to any sport at all now.

• Like 1

Well done England's womens team, I have been really surprised at the high technical standard, and excellent football they have played. But really?  Apparently Russo's goal is one of the greatest ever scored?  And the England keeper's every save is world class?............I hope England win the final.........but let's get a grip, we haven't won anything yet? ?

• Like 1

I don't know whether it's been mentioned before (probably) but what I find refreshing is that players just get up and get on with the game after being fouled rather than rolling around like they've been hit by a Russian cruise missile, no diving, and lack of surrounding the referee after every contentious decision.  Much more enjoyable.  Neymar take note to name but one.

• Like 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Well done England's womens team, I have been really surprised at the high technical standard, and excellent football they have played. But really?  Apparently Russo's goal is one of the greatest ever scored?  And the England keeper's every save is world class?............I hope England win the final.........but let's get a grip, we haven't won anything yet? ?

Can you imagine what the press etc would be like today it last night etc had happened with the mens side

• Admin
2 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Ellen White was completely anonymous I thought 

She's had a very subdued tournament up to now and she looks more and more frustrated each game, BUT her strength and workrate off the ball are a big factor why our subs are so big when they come on

• Like 3

Intriguing game. Both are well known to each other even though they have not played each other that often of late. Hence there has been a good deal where they cancelled each other out.

The French have plenty of possession and speed up the left with Karchaoui and Cascarino, but there was not much real activity in the penalty area. Reynard has patrolled the back line with authority for much of the time, it's the rest of the defence that are the worry.

The Germans have arrived with discipline and application, swarming around their opponents and barely give them any room. With the ability to stifle the opponents and then mount meaningful attacks it is how Germans play. I felt the first goal would be crucial but a great, if opportunist, strike by Diani has brought the half to a gripping close.

Who will have the strategy and the guile to book their ticket to Wembley? Extra time, anyone?

12 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Is it just me, or is this game very poor quality?  Some good individual skills, but a lot of naïveté in terms of team play.  Statuesque defences, space not being occupied, poor or non-existent movement.  Another wild shot goes over the bar…

It's not just you.

A closely-fought game, with both sides showing just what they are about. The French were looking for the flair and style, but tended to underuse their speed down the flanks. The Germans were, well, German: solid, organised, disciplined and with a gritty determination. A 'Result Machine', with a whole greater than the sum of the parts.

Oberdorf was a real battler and perhaps was lucky to remain on the pitch with a number of calculated fouls. Around her were some like-minded friends and almost every time a French player made a move forwards, there were at least two white shirts in close company. That was how the French were shut down for long periods.

But overall, this was a really close game and both sides can look to moments where they enjoyed a slight edge. In these sorts of games it eventually boils down to fine margins (to coin a phrase). Tonight, the French slowly wilted and Popp proved the decisive player with two goals that highlighted just how hungry and determined she is. We'll look forward to the Sunday final.

Just home. Enjoyed that. Others analyse games much better than me, but thought Germany squeezed the life out of France and deserved it overall. Think England v France would have been a much more open game, but it is what it is. Decent crowd, although predominately neutral crowds always are slightly subdued...Germans well outnumbered France fans which was a bit of a surprise.

Destined to be Germany I guess. Same for penalties?

• Admin

Having watched that game tonight, we have no fear going into Sunday, wasn't impressed with either side 

The German side will push up on us but with our pace down the wings will have plenty of space to exploit 

Can't see anything other than an English victory as long as we don't freeze on the big occasion, but something tells me that won't happen. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Representing...

You travel some miles

Are you a journo? If not, you have bloody tolerant employers for all your time off!

Fair play for your constant positive promotion of the Womens Game and City's Womens side.

The club should be approaching you for a reporting role.

Or a national newspaper / TV channel - you seem incredibly well informed on this part of English football.

Keep it up - love your reports.

@JerrySLO Give this guy a contact at the club to talk about a job!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Super said:

Germany will be a massive step up from Sweden and they probably have the best striker in the competition. They will be favourites but we certainly have a chance.

It’ll probably be a draw after extra time and our ladies lose on penalties………………..:facepalm: