IGNORED

Wales v Ukraine

Malago

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Nothing wrong with being prejudice against two communist countries and Argentina after the ‘hand of god’ cheating episode.

Russia isn't a Communist country, and that incident was nearly 40 years ago. FFS.

• Hmmm 2

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Wales are going to take an absolute battering at the WC based on this

England v Wales is like us v the Gas.  On player ability we should beat them comfortably, but it rarely works out like that.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, super slick said:

Nazi sympathiser having a pretty good game. Sure they’ll still find a way to give Bale man of the match though 

Not sure making an (albeit very inappropriate) joke hand signal makes someone a nazi sympathiser.

12 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Bit of a shame that Wales get through to a World Cup for the first time in half a century and their fans can't even go and enjoy it in a proper country.

And by "bit of a shame", I mean absolutely ******* hilarious, obviously.

I’m sure they’ll be there, they won’t care where it is. 

20 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Well done to Wales.  I know how much it means to their fans to get to a World Cup.  Pleased for my Welsh friends and family. 

Yep me too. There are plenty of Welsh who will always want to beat England / see England lose, but do you know what, there are a lot of people with dual allegiances. And regardless it’s only football so I don’t get the need to express ‘hatred’ for other football fans who if you sat down and had a drink with you’d probably get along famously with.
Especially given Wales’s opposition today and the real world issues they face.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Ecko said:

Best fans in the world, apparently ?

11 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Page : “these fans are the best in the world”.

Yeah, right.

gAssholes everywhere now apoplectic with rage

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Bit of a shame that Wales get through to a World Cup for the first time in half a century and their fans can't even go and enjoy it in a proper country.

Why isn't Qatar a "proper country"? Sure, it's daft they got the WC, but no need to disrespect their country.

I’m Welsh and have been a City ST holder for 30 or so years, great result and possibly not deserved, but just wish it was against any other side than Ukraine..lovely nation of peaceful people, so sad what they are going through.

• Like 6
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

And by "bit of a shame", I mean absolutely ******* hilarious, obviously.

Qatar is a proper country and is recognised as such by the UN.

Neither England or Wales are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

England battered Ukraine last World Cup, and they were the better team v Wales tonight. Aside from emotions - The current England team should not be worried about the boyos.…..

Exactly this, if England get their house in order, Wales are nothing to be feared or concerned about.

40 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Why isn't Qatar a "proper country"? Sure, it's daft they got the WC, but no need to disrespect their country.

9 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Qatar is a proper country and is recognised as such by the UN.

Neither England or Wales are.

I suspect you know full well what I mean.

It's not exactly the sort of place you can go and experience a tournament easily, is it?

1 hour ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Lots of Welsh blood in Bristol due to the war. 

An interesting statement, I’m intrigued.

Which war was that, and how did that bring Welsh people to Bristol.

I should stress, this is a genuine question and, as I said, I am really intrigued.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I suspect you know full well what I mean.

It's not exactly the sort of place you can go and experience a tournament easily, is it?

I've no idea what you meant - I just read what you wrote.

Btw, I don't think it's a good place to hold a World Cup for a few reasons but that doesn't mean it's not a 'proper country'.

Maybe Qatar will surprise us all, and maybe an influx of people from all 4 corners might be good for Qatar.

'Tis done now, so will just watch and hope it goes well 

• Like 2

Yep ............can see Wales lighting up the World Cup with their stylish possession  , and their intoxicating blend of flowing football.  Hopefully i will manage to stay awake during their clash with England..........Just, Can't wait.  And could Iran v Wales prove to be the game of the tournament?   And, God forbid, they are actually going to extend the number of teams who qualify in future World Cups.......so they're will be even more turgid battle's of the "also rans" on offer in the future.........yawn.  When will FIFA ever consider quality instead of stuffed brown envelopes?..............Probably never?.

• Confused 1

Wales weren't pretty today but from what I seen they got the first goal and defended well throughout, have never been a big fan of their goalkeeper Hennessey but he made some important saves today. Ukraine played better and were a little unlucky but Wales is not an easy place to go to and get a result at the moment.

For me from an England point of view a game against Wales at the world Cup is a much more exciting occasion than a game against Ukraine. Whilst England should qualify fairly easily on paper I think being overconfident might be a real problem as will be playing 3 teams who will look to soak things up and frustrate, getting 2010 vibes from the world cup group but hopefully England stay professional and get the pts needed to finish 1st this time around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Yep ............can see Wales lighting up the World Cup with their stylish possession  , and their intoxicating blend of flowing football.  Hopefully i will manage to stay awake during their clash with England..........Just, Can't wait.  And could Iran v Wales prove to be the game of the tournament?   And, God forbid, they are actually going to extend the number of teams who qualify in future World Cups.......so they're will be even more turgid battle's of the "also rans" on offer in the future.........yawn.  When will FIFA ever consider quality instead of stuffed brown envelopes?..............Probably never?.

So in the same vain, why not just have a Premier league with ten top teams in and bugger everybody else, City included? Strange comment..

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

An interesting statement, I’m intrigued.

Which war was that, and how did that bring Welsh people to Bristol.

I should stress, this is a genuine question and, as I said, I am really intrigued.

The Second World War. Lots of families were thrown in it together from the surrounding areas. Believe it or not is your choice. But there are a quite a few of us Welshies that support City from a grandparent being Bristolian. There was also an influx of Welsh moving to Bristol when the mining went just to get work. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Page : “these fans are the best in the world”.

Yeah, right.

To all those mocking Page’s comments, I don’t know who the best fans in the world are (if there is any such thing) but I arrived in Bordeaux the day after Wales beat either Slovakia or Russia in 2016 (I dont remember which) and the place was full of Welsh drinking and having a good time. I sat with loads and had a great day and I can absolutely say without any doubt I would rather spend time with the Welsh fans at an overseas tournament than the English 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 2

33 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

The Second World War. Lots of families were thrown in it together from the surrounding areas. Believe it or not is your choice. But there are a quite a few of us Welshies that support City from a grandparent being Bristolian. There was also an influx of Welsh moving to Bristol when the mining went just to get work. 

I don't know - they come over here, they take our sheep...

• Haha 1

One thing struck me about the celebrations yesterday - no pitch invasion. It meant the players got to celebrate properly on the pitch, all the fans got to see it, and the Welsh players were also able to acknowledge the Ukraine supporters, which I thought was a great touch.

I thought it was much better. Tin hat on!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, clunes said:

To all those mocking Page’s comments, I don’t know who the best fans in the world are (if there is any such thing) but I arrived in Bordeaux the day after Wales beat either Slovakia or Russia in 2016 (I dont remember which) and the place was full of Welsh drinking and having a good time. I sat with loads and had a great day and I can absolutely say without any doubt I would rather spend time with the Welsh fans at an overseas tournament than the English 

A slight generalisation don't you think? we do have more than our fairshare of idiots but you can't tar all followers of England with the same brush.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PFree said:

So in the same vain, why not just have a Premier league with ten top teams in and bugger everybody else, City included? Strange comment..

Why is it strange?   Do you really want to watch Estonia v Belarus, if you do?..... good luck.  The comparison with the Premier League is   specious IMHO.    The World Cup, is......or used to be, The Greatest Sporting Event on the Planet.  I want to watch Brazil v Italy or France v Germany.  Not "Also Rans" who are just making up the numbers.     Leicester, fantastically won the Premier League............can you see Wales winning the World Cup?  I would love to see an African team win the World Cup, but i do not want to watch matches which are just concessions by FIFA to keep minor nations happy.  The cream of World football should be at the World Cup.  FIFA are interested in just one thing, and one thing   only?...............The Almighty Dollar.       PS. By the way it's Vein......and Not Vain....Two different meanings ?

Edited by maxjak

11 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

It is not a question (choice) of believing it or not; as I said, I was not disbelieving you, but was genuinely intrigued as to why a large number of Welsh would have come to Bristol as a result of a war, especially the Second World War, if for no better reason in this particular instance than a large number of Bristolians were being evacuated from Bristol at the same time.

I understand totally why large numbers of people, Welsh included, might come to Bristol in times of economic hardship; indeed, as you are no doubt aware, just over a Century ago, a large number of Italians sought economic refuge in Wales, hence the large number of Italian cafés such as Bella Lasagne and ice cream parlours.

Why, even our much loved Berni Inn, The Rummer, had its origins in Welsh/Italian immigrants. 

5 hours ago, maxjak said:

Why is it strange?   Do you really want to watch Estonia v Belarus, if you do?..... good luck.  The comparison with the Premier League is   specious IMHO.    The World Cup, is......or used to be, The Greatest Sporting Event on the Planet.  I want to watch Brazil v Italy or France v Germany.  Not "Also Rans" who are just making up the numbers.     Leicester, fantastically won the Premier League............can you see Wales winning the World Cup?  I would love to see an African team win the World Cup, but i do not want to watch matches which are just concessions by FIFA to keep minor nations happy.  The cream of World football should be at the World Cup.  FIFA are interested in just one thing, and one thing   only?...............The Almighty Dollar.       PS. By the way it's Vein......and Not Vain....Two different meanings ?

Do you think City offer entertaining football then? If it weren’t for the lesser nations or smaller football league teams, it wouldn’t be the beautiful game it is at the top hey?

If Man City or United fans suggested the likes of City shouldn’t appear in the FA Cup, would you feel the same? 

I am Welsh by the way, I just don’t get why people continually knock smaller teams..and by the way, England have hardly hit the heights, have they?

4 minutes ago, PFree said:

Do you think City offer entertaining football then? If it weren’t for the lesser nations or smaller football league teams, it wouldn’t be the beautiful game it is at the top hey?

If Man City or United fans suggested the likes of City shouldn’t appear in the FA Cup, would you feel the same? 

I am Welsh by the way, I just don’t get why people continually knock smaller teams..and by the way, England have hardly hit the heights, have they?

I am far from an England fan.........personally i prefer club football.   I have no idea why u r referencing Bristol City?  International football and club football are two completely different ball games.  You are going off on a very bizarre tangent, comparing the World and FA Cups?   You sound like yet another Welsh fan, bleating on about poor old Wales....and how nobody appreciates smaller teams?   Anyhow enjoy Wales appearance in the World Cup............because it is unlikely to happen again in our lifetimes.......especially once Bale retires?

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It is not a question (choice) of believing it or not; as I said, I was not disbelieving you, but was genuinely intrigued as to why a large number of Welsh would have come to Bristol as a result of a war, especially the Second World War, if for no better reason in this particular instance than a large number of Bristolians were being evacuated from Bristol at the same time.

I understand totally why large numbers of people, Welsh included, might come to Bristol in times of economic hardship; indeed, as you are no doubt aware, just over a Century ago, a large number of Italians sought economic refuge in Wales, hence the large number of Italian cafés such as Bella Lasagne and ice cream parlours.

Why, even our much loved Berni Inn, The Rummer, had its origins in Welsh/Italian immigrants. 

I can just remember my Nan telling me why and how she met my grandad. She was from the Rhonda and him from Bristol (hence why we all support City) . And she said that during the war a lot were stationed together. 

Here’s an interesting fact though. I was born where the Celtic Manor is and have friends also born there. But back then the district was either Monmouthshire or Gwent. When Monmouthshire you could be either Welsh or English for some reason. So a lot of my friends say they are English being born the same place as me. Likewise my uncle says he’s English as well on those grounds.

For the record, I’m Welsh but my boys and wife, also my younger brother are English so I’ve never understood this rivalry. Apart from general banter in five/ six nations. 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I can just remember my Nan telling me why and how she met my grandad. She was from the Rhonda and him from Bristol (hence why we all support City) . And she said that during the war a lot were stationed together. 

Here’s an interesting fact though. I was born where the Celtic Manor is and have friends also born there. But back then the district was either Monmouthshire or Gwent. When Monmouthshire you could be either Welsh or English for some reason. So a lot of my friends say they are English being born the same place as me. Likewise my uncle says he’s English as well on those grounds.

For the record, I’m Welsh but my boys and wife, also my younger brother are English so I’ve never understood this rivalry. Apart from general banter in five/ six nations. 

When I was in school, we used to play rugby against Monmouth Grammar, and I can assure you it was very much a Welsh school!

Interestingly, though, I have relatives living near to Ross-on-Wye, and I seem to recall leaving England and crossing the (old) Severn Bridge in to Chepstow (Wales), driving along the River Wye, past Tintern Abbey (still Wales), before getting back in to England when we approached Ross.

A lovely part of the country.

17 hours ago, Calculus said:

I don't know - they come over here, they take our sheep...

With so many euphoric and p155ed up Welshmen on the loose last night, will the vets in the valleys will be inundated  by sheep wanting the morning after pill? :shocking:

Not that I'm stereotyping the Welsh of course!

Edited by downendcity