IGNORED

Wales v Ukraine

Malago

16 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

When I was in school, we used to play rugby against Monmouth Grammar, and I can assure you it was very much a Welsh school!

Interestingly, though, I have relatives living near to Ross-on-Wye, and I seem to recall leaving England and crossing the (old) Severn Bridge in to Chepstow (Wales), driving along the River Wye, past Tintern Abbey (still Wales), before getting back in to England when we approached Ross.

A lovely part of the country.

Posh gits in that school. 

We take the Wye Valley for granted here in Chepstow like the forest of Dean and don’t appreciate what we’ve got around us. Bet loads in Chepstow have never been into the castle or the Abbey. 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC

6 hours ago, maxjak said:

Why is it strange?   Do you really want to watch Estonia v Belarus, if you do?..... good luck.  The comparison with the Premier League is   specious IMHO.    The World Cup, is......or used to be, The Greatest Sporting Event on the Planet.  I want to watch Brazil v Italy or France v Germany.  Not "Also Rans" who are just making up the numbers.     Leicester, fantastically won the Premier League............can you see Wales winning the World Cup?  I would love to see an African team win the World Cup, but i do not want to watch matches which are just concessions by FIFA to keep minor nations happy.  The cream of World football should be at the World Cup.  FIFA are interested in just one thing, and one thing   only?...............The Almighty Dollar.       PS. By the way it's Vein......and Not Vain....Two different meanings ?

Agree and disagree. No doubt those marquee games are great, but what has always made football great is the surprise package. Happens in cups here, even in the premier league with Leicester winning. I want brazil v italy etc at the world cup, butI also want the surprise packages. The teams who may not win, but light up the the tournament. Cameroon, Ghana, Colombia, South Korea etc have all made World Cups very exciting. The upsets and surprises are a huge part of what makes the tournaments great. 

11 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Agree and disagree. No doubt those marquee games are great, but what has always made football great is the surprise package. Happens in cups here, even in the premier league with Leicester winning. I want brazil v italy etc at the world cup, butI also want the surprise packages. The teams who may not win, but light up the the tournament. Cameroon, Ghana, Colombia, South Korea etc have all made World Cups very exciting. The upsets and surprises are a huge part of what makes the tournaments great. 

i don't really see Cameroon, Ghana and Colombia as little teams...........i am referring more to teams like Iran, Wales (Ha!), Saudi Arabia and   Qatar  (Who if not hosts, would NEVER qualify).  But that's obviously just my opinion!!

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

I am far from an England fan.........personally i prefer club football.   I have no idea why u r referencing Bristol City?  International football and club football are two completely different ball games.  You are going off on a very bizarre tangent, comparing the World and FA Cups?   You sound like yet another Welsh fan, bleating on about poor old Wales....and how nobody appreciates smaller teams?   Anyhow enjoy Wales appearance in the World Cup............because it is unlikely to happen again in our lifetimes.......especially once Bale retires?

Broadly agree. Personally not convinced that 16 teams was so wrong in 1978, that 48 teams in 2026 is the right answer. Probably somewhere in-between is right, with qualifying allowing everyone to have a go, but the finals being reasonably high quality. More than 16 seems fair given the game is now more global and (eg) England missing out on goal difference to Italy, but getting through 48 (Group P?!?) seems similar to removing your own eyeballs with a teaspoon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

I am far from an England fan.........personally i prefer club football.   I have no idea why u r referencing Bristol City?  International football and club football are two completely different ball games.  You are going off on a very bizarre tangent, comparing the World and FA Cups?   You sound like yet another Welsh fan, bleating on about poor old Wales....and how nobody appreciates smaller teams?   Anyhow enjoy Wales appearance in the World Cup............because it is unlikely to happen again in our lifetimes.......especially once Bale retires?

What about the FA Cup comment then, not the same principle to you? Not bleating, too old for that my friend - I’ll drop to your level, off you go to do your homework ?

17 minutes ago, PFree said:

What about the FA Cup comment then, not the same principle to you? Not bleating, too old for that my friend - I’ll drop to your level, off you go to do your homework ?

I'll tell you what is sad?  Someone of your age resorting to personal attacks, when unable to sustain a discussion....your obviously not too old for that. Never mind......I Hope you enjoy Wale's three World Cup games ?             .

8 hours ago, PFree said:

Do you think City offer entertaining football then? If it weren’t for the lesser nations or smaller football league teams, it wouldn’t be the beautiful game it is at the top hey?

If Man City or United fans suggested the likes of City shouldn’t appear in the FA Cup, would you feel the same? 

I am Welsh by the way, I just don’t get why people continually knock smaller teams..and by the way, England have hardly hit the heights, have they?

A world cup semi final and a Euro final in the ln the last four years isn't exactly pants though is it (and yes I know we didn't win them). 

On 06/06/2022 at 00:01, clunes said:

To all those mocking Page’s comments, I don’t know who the best fans in the world are (if there is any such thing) but I arrived in Bordeaux the day after Wales beat either Slovakia or Russia in 2016 (I dont remember which) and the place was full of Welsh drinking and having a good time. I sat with loads and had a great day and I can absolutely say without any doubt I would rather spend time with the Welsh fans at an overseas tournament than the English 

brilliant occasion that, it was Slovakia and I went with a few mates from the Welsh village I lived and worked in, when I did a 3 year stint in mid wales and played for the local team. I am a bit of a mongrel (very proud to be Bristolian born and bred, so mostly English, with plenty of German, Swizz, Irish blood mixed in!), but was happy to follow the welsh boys at the 2016 Euros to keep an old promise I made 30 odd years before with my welsh teammates!

Not an ounce of trouble the whole weekend, a total festival of footy, with everyone mixing with everyone else in the bars and fan village, add in Bordeaux was brilliant as well. Made me wish at the time I was more then a temporary plastic Welsh fan :laugh:..... followed England a fair few times and I am afraid even on occasions when English not looking for trouble, it was always in the air and effected the atmosphere negatively.

It was a much better experience with the Welsh boys and gals...

Edited by brady bunch
hit send too early!
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

brilliant occasion that, it was Slovakia and I went with a few mates from the Welsh village I lived and worked in, when I did a 3 year stint in mid wales and played for the local team. I am a bit of a mongrel (very proud to be Bristolian born and bred, so mostly English, with plenty of German, Swizz, Irish blood mixed in!), but was happy to follow the welsh boys at the 2016 Euros to keep an old promise I made 30 odd years before with my welsh teammates!

Not an ounce of trouble the whole weekend, a total festival of footy, with everyone mixing with everyone else in the bars and fan village, add in Bordeaux was brilliant as well. Made me wish at the time I was more then a temporary plastic Welsh fan :laugh:..... followed England a fair few times and I am afraid even on occasions when English not looking for trouble, it was always in the air and effected the atmosphere negatively.

It was a much better experience with the Welsh boys and gals...

Not surprised to hear that. Following England in that same tournament, I witnessed loads of trouble.

And right on queue... England: Seven fans arrested in Munich - three for making a Nazi salute - BBC Sport 

image.png.71d99267d5b4ccf15dffa2761de17b77.png

• Like 1