IGNORED

Stefan Bajic - Signing confirmed

Finley_Smith10

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’ve looked at his career to date, he has started 6 league games in Ligue 1 for St. Etienne, also coming on as a sub 3 times, at Pau last season he started 15 Ligue 2 games.

24 total career games is nowhere near enough to think that he’s coming here to displace Bentley at the relative stages of their careers.

Of course DB could get injured, have a poor run of form etc, but I’ll bet that if this lad signs he starts the season on the bench barring some last minute crisis.

Will you please stop using facts and logic to construct an opinion. This is the internet!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Being late to this one, I don’t see him coming here to sit on the bench. 6’3” french u21 players tend to play at their clubs. I’d see it as Bentley leaving for a small fee to be a prem back up. Makes sense as his wage will be high for our current setup. A small fee and getting his wages gone would be a big help I think. 

Would be a risk but I don’t think Bentley is overly special that you pass up a good young talent. However there is merit to sending Max on loan and having bajic and bentley fight it out too. Max needs a season in L1 working on getting better in a crowded penalty area. 

I can’t see us directly replacing a keeper of Bentley’s calibre with a relatively untried 20 year old. It’s not unheard of by any means, just look at the Leeds keeper. But I’d be surprised if he came straight in as number 1.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I can’t see us directly replacing a keeper of Bentley’s calibre with a relatively untried 20 year old. It’s not unheard of by any means, just look at the Leeds keeper. But I’d be surprised if he came straight in as number 1.

Is a tough one. It is a name I have seen around before and sure he is quite highly thought of. Maybe on a free clouds it a bit. If he was on an open market with a couple years on his contract he’d probably be 3-5m euros. Pay that for a keeper in the championship and he probably starts. Just my guess though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Is a tough one. It is a name I have seen around before and sure he is quite highly thought of. Maybe on a free clouds it a bit. If he was on an open market with a couple years on his contract he’d probably be 3-5m euros. Pay that for a keeper in the championship and he probably starts. Just my guess though. 

He would be an exciting signing, but we also thought that about the young keeper we signed from Bayern a few years ago. I guess we will see one way or another.

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

He would be an exciting signing, but we also thought that about the young keeper we signed from Bayern a few years ago. I guess we will see one way or another.

The one formerly known as Ivan?

• Flames 2

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Without needing to be critical of either keeper, I’d rather re-contract Bents, he’s my first choice.  Max is perfect for a no2 - low wages, can stand-in without fear, but imho he’s not as good as Bents, nor will he be…and Bents could be here for ages.

I’d rather start to look beyond the current 1-2, and if that means Max having a season on loan, so be it.  If someone like Peterborough then could be loan with obligation to buy.

As for the French lad….really tough to judge….but if there’s a by-product that Han stays then I think that’s an added bonus.

@Davefevs, you're ITK. When you say "Bents could be here for ages", are you indicating that he might sight a new deal (possibly a Weinmann style longer-term, lower wages)?

Also - interesting on the 3 Peaps podcast that they were suggesting we might hang on to HNM as any transfer fee might be lower than the compo if he runs down his contract?

4 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Have a look at the video @Davefevs posted on page 4. I'm not convinced he's even 6'1" !! 

Just had a look. Doesn’t look 6’3. There is one highlight against fcsm where ball is headed straight up and he is challenged by an attacker. Had a look and that defender is listed at 6 foot even. They looked similarly sized

3 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Think Ivan was closer to 24 or 25 when he come here. Never really had any senior games that I can remember except a spell in Austria I think? A bit different I think. 

The lack of appearances don’t mean much to me at his age. Whether he comes in to displace Bentley right away or not, I still think if it happens it means Bentley will be leaving either this window or next summer. Just my feel by his reputation and the reported contract. If he was a project youth keeper he’d surely get the 2 year deal or 1+1?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think Ivan was closer to 24 or 25 when he come here. Never really had any senior games that I can remember except a spell in Austria I think? A bit different I think. 

Shame about Lucic, thought he had the perfect physique to be a top keeper.  Could play off either foot, albeit a bit erratic.  But didn’t have the application to go with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Shame about Lucic, thought he had the perfect physique to be a top keeper.  Could play off either foot, albeit a bit erratic.  But didn’t have the application to go with it.

His penalty save verses Fulham was it? Amazing  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I rate Max , those pointing to him staying on his line are correct , but then Bentley is the same . Though that gets brushed over . Where Bentley does stand out is the shot stopping , he was and is better . Max though was very good at getting play moving faster from defence , Bentley can be very laboured and slow . Im not sure either are good enough to ever get to Prem level . 

This signing maybe planning ahead , Max out on loan for a year to come back and replace Bentley when his contract expires . I guess we will see . 

I rather like the Plymouth keeper Cooper . 

Some talk on here Max would end up at Peterborough but they have signed two keepers in the last 24 hours so that won’t happen , so we will see 

All very quiet on this one considering many sources confirmed it as done earlier in the week.

wonder if the club are unhappy that it would have been leaked before they announced it or maybe that it’s done and there is simply no rush

3 minutes ago, BLRed said:

All very quiet on this one considering many sources confirmed it as done earlier in the week.

wonder if the club are unhappy that it would have been leaked before they announced it or maybe that it’s done and there is simply no rush

Likely waiting on international clearance/work permit confirmation. 

• Like 2

This one appears to have gone quiet, and I wonder if it has died a death.

A couple of weeks ago now, but there was some talk over here of him signing for Valenciennes to join his old goalkeeping coach, Jérémie Janot.

As ever, time will tell, but with pre-season having started yesterday it is looking less likely. 

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

This one appears to have gone quiet, and I wonder if it has died a death.

A couple of weeks ago now, but there was some talk over here of him signing for Valenciennes to join his old goalkeeping coach, Jérémie Janot.

As ever, time will tell, but with pre-season having started yesterday it is looking less likely. 

Perhaps we are waiting for some outgoings to happen before we can make other signings. 
Will the signing of Buse have an affect on this deal ? 

People need a little patience in my opinion. 

It was leaked only Thursday, foreign signing are more complicated with international clearance/work permits required. He could also be still on his summer break.

I doubt much progressed over the weekend if it's paper work required. His current contract runs until the end of the month so may not be able to complete all the documents or officially announce until then.

Edited by Dynamite Red
  • Like 4

Think I've read before that work permit decisions can take up to two weeks? Given this one looks a lot closer, albeit it should be fine, than our previous foreign signings (given criteria at the time) feels like we could be waiting for everything to be finalised.

I guess another factor is if Compensation is due, we could be trying to negotiate before going tribunal?

41 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

When does the official transfer window open?

It opened on 10th June

38 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Think I've read before that work permit decisions can take up to two weeks? Given this one looks a lot closer, albeit it should be fine, than our previous foreign signings (given criteria at the time) feels like we could be waiting for everything to be finalised.

I guess another factor is if Compensation is due, we could be trying to negotiate before going tribunal?

For a international transfer (u23) there is no tribunal, it’s a pre-defined calculation based on the category of club that trained him, in this case St Etienne (Cat 1).  For any u23 player transferred internationally, any clubs that were involved in his training from 12-21 are entitled to a payment.

St Etienne would be entitled to :

• €10k per season between 12-16 (€40k)
  • €90k per season between 16-20 (€360k)

I suspect his transfer to Pau became a point where he ceased to deemed to be training.

So I reckon we might have to pay €400k.

The ambiguity is two-fold.

1. is he about to go OOC at Pau (short term deal signed in Feb??)
  2. was the fact that he transferred to Pau for free (early terminating his contract) an admission from St Etienne that they held no ongoing obligation to training compensation

It is a really difficult area to get your head around once you get into specific examples, especially where a players has transferred as a professional rather than a youth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It opened on 10th June

For a international transfer (u23) there is no tribunal, it’s a pre-defined calculation based on the category of club that trained him, in this case St Etienne (Cat 1).  For any u23 player transferred internationally, any clubs that were involved in his training from 12-21 are entitled to a payment.

St Etienne would be entitled to :

• €10k per season between 12-16 (€40k)
  • €90k per season between 16-20 (€360k)

I suspect his transfer to Pau became a point where he ceased to deemed to be training.

So I reckon we might have to pay €400k.

The ambiguity is two-fold.

1. is he about to go OOC at Pau (short term deal signed in Feb??)
  2. was the fact that he transferred to Pau for free (early terminating his contract) an admission from St Etienne that they held no ongoing obligation to training compensation

It is a really difficult area to get your head around once you get into specific examples, especially where a players has transferred as a professional rather than a youth.

Does that include international and the French windows nit just ours?

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Does that include international and the French windows nit just ours?

There are different dates, but according to several sources “most international federations” are 10th June.

In France Lg1’s case, yes, 10th June.

https://www.ligue1.com/Articles/NEWS/2022/05/04/transfers-dates-for-season-2022-23-announced

You can of course transfer a player any time, just can’t “transfer the registration” unless the window is open.

12 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Quicker than passports, hopefully. 

Bloody Civil Servants.

As Jacob R-M said, if you simply went back into the office every day then all our problems would be solved overnight.

Take back control..

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Bloody Civil Servants.

As Jacob R-M said, if you simply went back into the office every day then all our problems would be solved overnight.

Take back control..

What Jacob R-M thinks an office is......

recording black and white GIF by Okkult Motion Pictures

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Didn’t MacGregor all but confirmed this signing a few days ago? Not saying that guarantees anything but a positive sign nonetheless 

It's been confirmed by multiple media sources both here and abroad. I think it's a matter of time but dotting the i's and crossing the t's may take a bit of time hence the delay in officially announcing the deal.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

It's been confirmed by multiple media sources both here and abroad. I think it's a matter of time but dotting the i's and crossing the t's may take a bit of time hence the delay in officially announcing the deal.

You Know GIF

• Haha 3

Just now, Port Said Red said:

Seems strange to bring him all the way here for a medical to then find this out.

Does seem weird. You'd think that was something that would be sorted prior to the rest of the transfer process starting.

So someone made it up and is now clutching at straws as to why it's not happening? Or just making it up because it's not happened yet?

If it's a visa that's been rejected, is that not along the same lines as a work permit? 

17 minutes ago, Taz said:

So someone made it up and is now clutching at straws as to why it's not happening? Or just making it up because it's not happened yet?

If it's a visa that's been rejected, is that not along the same lines as a work permit? 

It wasn't made up, I am not prepared to reveal how I know, but @Davefevsknows my source is impeccable, he was at the HPC yesterday having a fitness test.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Taz said:

I would imagine he would be on a tier 2 visa which as far as I'm aware is the same thing as a work permit.

Having hired a lot of people on tier 2 visas recently I would be quite surprised if he was rejected.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

It wasn't made up, I am not prepared to reveal how I know, but @Davefevsknows my source is impeccable, he was at the HPC yesterday having a fitness test.

Another OTIB poster heard the same as you but from a different source to yours, which is encouraging.

I know nothing, but my gut feel from my WP calcs is that he passes….just.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1