IGNORED

Sunderlands match day ticket allocation is 3,338

On 21/07/2022 at 10:31, phantom said:

I understand your point, regarding numbers, but like many other sides in that area I wonder how many of those ST holders live outside the area?

Their support is superb, but within the NE, the answer will be a lot.

Pretty much all of the towns in Co.Durham divide on Sunderland/Newcastle lines, but there are some that are very much 100% Mackem heartlands.

Went to Durham for a funeral a few years ago, expected it to be a Newcastle town, but there was a lot of Sunderland support.

Edited by GrahamC

1 minute ago, harrys said:

Surprised they’ve not sold out yet, Newcastle would of

A lot of them not impressed with the ticket prices (can't blame them!), nightmare train journey, fuel prices, played at home first game of the season all probably affecting the numbers. Won't sell out but still a decent away following.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

A lot of them not impressed with the ticket prices (can't blame them!), nightmare train journey, fuel prices, played at home first game of the season all probably affecting the numbers. Won't sell out but still a decent away following.

It is a great following and all the reasons you’ve stated are fair enough, I just thought that the first away game of the season in a great City after a few years out of this division would of guaranteed a sell out for them, expensive day/weekend out though that’s for sure 

• Like 1

23k presumably being made up of roughly 13.5k STs, 3k Sunderland fans, and 6.5k others (many at the £12.50 special price).

6.5k "others" (includes me and my dad) is a very good effort. Club will be delighted with that I'm sure.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

City saying 23k sold.  I’m guessing Sunderland’s allocation is non-returnable, so even if they haven’t sold all of them, City get the money?  Guess that’s why most clubs allocate in smaller batches, then request more?

It looks like more than 20k sold in home ends to be fair, there are hardly any tickets left on the website

• Admin
1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

It looks like more than 20k sold in home ends to be fair, there are hardly any tickets left on the website

image.png

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

23k presumably being made up of roughly 13.5k STs, 3k Sunderland fans, and 6.5k others (many at the £12.50 special price).

6.5k "others" (includes me and my dad) is a very good effort. Club will be delighted with that I'm sure.

The key will be how many of the 6.5k come back again

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

That’s great, that would taje the total to 23k plus.  Shame I’m on hols, will be a good atmosphere.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

City saying 23k sold.  I’m guessing Sunderland’s allocation is non-returnable, so even if they haven’t sold all of them, City get the money?  Guess that’s why most clubs allocate in smaller batches, then request more?

That's interesting so in Citys case they had to pay for the 1250ish allocation at Hull and sold just under 1000 I believe so have to stump up for the unsold tickets ?

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

No, it's nothing special at all..............Bristol Boy said so and there's nothing he isn't an expert on. Clearly with the direction of travel the football club has undertaken over the last 3-4 years we should be filling up with a further 10K locked outside, Gas style, and anything less makes us a poorly supported club.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, weepywall said:

That's interesting so in Citys case they had to pay for the 1250ish allocation at Hull and sold just under 1000 I believe so have to stump up for the unsold tickets ?

Sometimes (probably most of the time for games like Hull) the allocation is “sell or return”.  But I can’t believe we let Sunderland have a 3338 allocation right off the bat on that basis.  We would have to ensure we had police, stewards, catering, etc, etc in place in case they sold the lot…and those costs will remain.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'd suspect most are returning anyway. 

Last season's average overall attendance was 19.5k. 12.1k of that was STs, maybe 1k away fans on average? (not sure, that's a hard figure to find but 1k seems a reasonable estimate to me). So that means an average of 6.4k "other" tickets sold per game last season. 

Very rough maths, and that seems like a really high figure, but it suggests that maybe a lot of these are like me, I come when I can regardless of price, but opening home game and reduced price is particularly attractive.

Basically the bulk of the increase on Saturday seems to be the extra 1.4k STs sold, and the bumper away attendance.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

No, it's nothing special at all..............Bristol Boy said so and there's nothing he isn't an expert on. Clearly with the direction of travel the football club has undertaken over the last 3-4 years we should be filling up with a further 10K locked outside, Gas style, and anything less makes us a poorly supported club.

Haha, peak school holiday period, getting extra fans through the turnstiles even at £12.50 is good going.

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yeh I've just worked out that it's not much special myself tbh.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

image.png

if we’re at 27k capacity I was trying to figure out where the 4k are . I know some is in atyeo as they’ve not got full allocation . But a quick scan of the seats on sale doesn’t add up to the remaining seats ? Any idea from anyone ?

27 minutes ago, Brann-red said:

if we’re at 27k capacity I was trying to figure out where the 4k are . I know some is in atyeo as they’ve not got full allocation . But a quick scan of the seats on sale doesn’t add up to the remaining seats ? Any idea from anyone ?

23k sold

500 away not sold yet

1000 away not given

1000 left in home end

1000 I'm told before is due to segregation 

not sure about the other 500

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

Why do we need extra segregation when they already have the whole Atyeo stand - and there are 1,500 empty seats in that!

Not sure why we net off the first 10 odd rows in the Atyeo to be honest. Must be some sort of H&S bullshit reason.

On 21/07/2022 at 10:39, Phileas Fogg said:

True. My issue isn’t the allocation really, it’s the placement of away fans relative to ours.

I’ve always felt, since redevelopment, away fans should’ve been in A+B of the Dolman with our vocal fans occupying the Atyeo. The atmosphere really suffers with our vocal support as far away as possible from away fans.

I like that these days the club seem to be more receptive to atmosphere creation, but it could still be a lot better and fan placement can help.

I don’t think giving away fans the whole end behind a goal helps us with the marginal advantages you get from playing at home.. and every little thing we can do to gain those extra % advantages should be done. 

If away fans were given E34 and E33 their allocation would be less the 2,000 which would be ok for some matches but not when playing a team with a big away following. If City covered over some of the seats in the lower section it would then be  1500 ish. It would also probably mean some seats being lost for City supporters in E32 due to segregation. There is also the issue of dividing the Dolman concourse and City supporters in the Atyeo having poor concourse facilities compared to the rest of the ground. These are the sort of problems you get when you develop an old ground. A new build at Ashton Vale would have been much better but it didn’t happen 

• Hmmm 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, MattWSM said:

23k sold

500 away not sold yet

1000 away not given

1000 left in home end

1000 I'm told before is due to segregation 

not sure about the other 500

I'd add into that seats lost for camera positions, then all the press tickets, players comps etc.

Do I have 14 in the box with me or 10 etc etc, small numbers but they all add up

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bris red said:

Not sure why we net off the first 10 odd rows in the Atyeo to be honest. Must be some sort of H&S bullshit reason.

I might be mistaken but I think that happened after the Swansea game a couple of seasons ago with fans spilling onto the pitch. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, phantom said:

Not taking the piss but am surprised that they haven't sold out by now

Great following that! Haway the lads!
Not many clubs fans will travel as well as Sunderland this season. Proper football club is Sunderland. Had a Mackem stay with us for nearly 8 years Monday to Friday. As a season ticket holder, he drove back for every midweek home game and then drove through the night back to south Bristol to be in work for 8am next day.
Decent folk up North and generally they know their football in my experience.

Edited by Tin Soldier
  • Like 7

• Admin
49 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

Great following that! Haway the lads!
Not many clubs fans will travel as well as Sunderland this season. Proper football club is Sunderland. Had a Mackem stay with us for nearly 8 years Monday to Friday. As a season ticket holder, he drove back for every midweek home game and then drove through the night back to south Bristol to be in work for 8am next day.
Decent folk up North and generally they know their football in my experience.

Decent following which is why I'm surprised they haven't sold out yet for their first away game back in the championship 

Personally can't stand their supporters, they're up their own arses like Leeds and Villa supporters, they believe their own hype 

(Ps cracking username if you have named it after the song?) 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, phantom said:

Decent following which is why I'm surprised they haven't sold out yet for their first away game back in the championship 

Personally can't stand their supporters, they're up their own arses like Leeds and Villa supporters, they believe their own hype 

Forget the politics but SLF were a brilliant band. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Offside said:

I might be mistaken but I think that happened after the Swansea game a couple of seasons ago with fans spilling onto the pitch. 

Yes you are right pal possibly was because of that. A bit of an OTT reaction to do it for every game though IMO.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, phantom said:

Fair play to them I wish our fans had half of their ambition and passion 

1 minute ago, mightyreds89 said:

Looks less than 200 left now across the home areas of the stadium to me just a few odd seats dotted around top tier less than 10 in most blocks and all blocks on sell and around 7/8 seats in corner of SS and lower wing of LS. Looking like 24/25k by the weekend. 

That’s good tbh , have they released all the seats in the top tier of the lansdown as I know before they released small groups of seats at different times .

In a way, this illustrates the disadvantages of Ashton Gate compared to Ashton Vale. In the past it was easy to decide to go to the game on the day. Now, due to capacity constraints, attendance must be planned in advance. At Ashton Vale, pay on the day would have been easy, which is what you want to attract more casual supporters 

15 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

In a way, this illustrates the disadvantages of Ashton Gate compared to Ashton Vale. In the past it was easy to decide to go to the game on the day. Now, due to capacity constraints, attendance must be planned in advance. At Ashton Vale, pay on the day would have been easy, which is what you want to attract more casual supporters 

We sell out home games about once every 4 years. It’s not an issue that happens regularly at all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

We sell out home games about once every 4 years. It’s not an issue that happens regularly at all. 

Yes but If we managed to get promoted and consolidate it would be, especially If we stayed as long as say Stoke or Swansea did. Even a promotion push at the end of the season would see attendances reach full capacity.

Edited by Kodjias Wrist
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

True, but why? Even when attendances are lower there is little incentive to pay on the day as there isn’t a good selection of available seats. For example, in some sections of the upper Lansdown you can only attend with a juvenile as these are family sections. Also, it’s obvious that you can’t buy a ticket in the Atyeo, even if the away support is limited to one man and a dog. Taking the Atyeo out of the equation, capacity for home supporters is only about 22k ish. The family sections reduces this further for adults only and a lot of what’s left is taken up by season ticket holders and advance sales. At Ashton Vale the options would have been far better 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

At Ashton Vale the options would have been far better 

Playing devils advocate, to create that type of flexibility, might we have needed a 30-35k stadium and ended up having it half full most games.

Swings and roundabouts I guess.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Playing devils advocate, to create that type of flexibility, might we have needed a 30-35k stadium and ended up having it half full most games.

I'd suggest it is also financially very inefficient to build extra capacity that would only be utilised very rarely - the occasional City game, possibly rugby against Bath and maybe summer concerts. Obviously if (when!) we get promoted that may change. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

Sold out. Well done City fans. Now let’s make some noise!

D61252A6-6FD7-42BB-9185-FD4A1CA00EE1.jpeg

They’ve found some more tickets - 50 just gone on sale in W7 but surely close to selling out ! I’m sure we’ll still see lots of gaps though  due to people being on hols 

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Possibly,  but I’m not sure about that. If Ashton Vale had been designed properly, and I can’t remember the plans, a stadium of 30k ish wouldn’t have looked much bigger than Ashton Gate’s current lopsided redevelopment of 26.5k ish. It could have had more two tier stands with the away supporters placed in the top tier of one of them. With crowds of 20k the lower tiers would have been full every match creating a good atmosphere. Can any remember what the proposed Ashton Vale stadium plan looked like? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Possibly,  but I’m not sure about that. If Ashton Vale had been designed properly, and I can’t remember the plans, a stadium of 30k ish wouldn’t have looked much bigger than Ashton Gate’s current lopsided redevelopment of 26.5k ish. It could have had more two tier stands with the away supporters placed in the top tier of one of them. With crowds of 20k the lower tiers would have been full every match creating a good atmosphere. Can any remember what the proposed Ashton Vale stadium plan looked like? 

One piece of work left to join the ateyeo will take it to nye on 30k I expect. 

35 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Yeah, I think you're right. Was the plan to add a tier on each of the end stands to bring it to 42k in the event of the World Cup stadium hosts?

Anyway, back to Sunderland, well done fans for virtually selling out. Should be a great atmosphere despite some fans being on holidays (that's why I pre-booked my holiday from Sunday's date!).

importedImage38484_5.jpeg

• Like 1