IGNORED

Stoney Garnett RIP

weepywall

Oh no! Really sad news. 
Sincere condolences to Chris and the rest of the family. 
What an absolute City legend and hilarious bloke. 
RIP Stoney 

Edited by Harry

• Admin

Absolutely gutted to hear the devastating news that Stoney Garnett has sadly passed away.

He was genuinely one of the nicest people who you were lucky enough to meet, he'd always say hello and tell us a funny joke at the football.

But he was much more than that, he'd always speak if you saw him away from football and he was often known as Mr Bristol City.

Thoughts with all of his family and friends on this very sad day

I'm sure that I will not be the only person raising a toast to him today

RIP

• Like 7

Not many folks deserve the moniker "legend" but that man did.

There can't have been many supporters who haven't encountered and shared a joke with Stoney in the ground or in the pubs of south Bristol. 

He was City through and through and what a character.

My condolences to all family and friends. We've really lost a good 'un. 

• Like 6

Really sad news to read this morning. ?

First met Stoney about a decade ago when his grandson started playing for my youth football team. He'd come along and cheer him on, all the while his encouragement would be interspersed with gag after gag after gag.

A lovely guy that would do anything for anyone. Think there was an urban myth that one game he was refereeing his own team and he headed them a last minute equaliser from a corner (or something similar).

A very sad day for local football in general. Love and best wishes to the family, all of whom are massive City fans. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not many folks deserve the moniker "legend" but that man did.

There can't have been many supporters who haven't encountered and shared a joke with Stoney in the ground or in the pubs of south Bristol. 

He was City through and through and what a character.

My condolences to all family and friends. We've really lost a good 'un. 

Always made matchday that little bit more enjoyable with him telling stories and jokes in the pubs.

R.I.P. Stoney; you truly will be missed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sglosbcfc said:

I would hope the club would mark his passing in some way, a photo of him in the iconic red hat before kick off v Sunderland. He has to be one of the most well known of City supporters.

Was just thinking the same mate. 

• Like 3

The most dapper man in the Dolman Stand - and always had time to share some fantastical story or weave some incredible joke if you met him in the pub home or away. I remember one off season on a hot summers day drinking down the Nova and he had about ten of us enthralled as he told this tale of he and his mates randomly entering a boat race on the docks for a bet. I can't for the life of me remember the punchline but he told it with such timing and theatre and that cheeky grin on his face that we were all falling about long before we ever found out what happened in the race.

What a terrible year for losing legends from among our supporters. RIP Stoney.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

Also, whenever we have a corner in front of the Atyeo and we have everyone back, I always instantly think of Stoney storming to the front of Dolman Block A and screaming for someone to get on the halfway line. Every single time. Without fail. It stopped a few years back but mainly because we largely keep someone up, I'd like to think Stoney got his way.

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

My dad knew him and would always say hello in the late-90s and 2000s. Never knew how he knew him but always seemed to have a nice catch-up.

My dad passed about seven years ago now. Losing all the faces I knew from the ground as a kid.

Repeating what everyone else has written - a true legendary supporter who was instantly recognisable, always wanting to make people laugh and smile.

Rest easy.

One Stoney Garnett, there's only one Stoney Garnett!

• Like 2

I only met Stoney once.  Fulham away in 2016 as the Mayoral election was starting to happen.  I'd met  a Fulham supporting friend and his 2 daughters before the game in a cafe bar sort of thing.  He must've recognised me so went into his campaigning spiel in front of a load of bemused London types.  Shook hands and took his leaflet as you do then he disappeared .  Couple of people asked me who's that, I said he's the next Mayor of Bristol.  Looks I got from them were priceless.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

24 minutes ago, Olé said:

Also, whenever we have a corner in front of the Atyeo and we have everyone back, I always instantly think of Stoney storming to the front of Dolman Block A and screaming for someone to get on the halfway line. Every single time. Without fail. It stopped a few years back but mainly because we largely keep someone up, I'd like to think Stoney got his way.

The guy's still making us laugh, after he's dead!

I echo what others have said that if ever there is a case for the club playing a special tribute, it is now, for Stoney. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Olé said:

That will be my lasting memory of him...like you say...everytime.

Part of the Bristol City fabric.

• Like 2

RIP Stoney. Echo all the sentiments above. 

If there ever was a fan deserving of a permanent tribute within the stadium it’s Stoney. He really was part of the Ashton Gate. furniture. Perhaps his seat in the Dolman could be plaqued, or a flag in his honour hung up in the A block.

City legend, so many memories. RIP

First saw Stoney when he did standup at our cricket club in the ‘80s. Seen him since at many games, home and away, over the years and it was always a pleasure. 

Heaven will be a happier, better place today with his arrival. Rest peacefully there, Stoney. Sincere condolences to his family. 

CTYD Stoney. CTID. 

• Robin 1

48 minutes ago, Olé said:

Well said @Olé superb anecdotes!

30 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Repeating what everyone else has written - a true legendary supporter who was instantly recognisable, always wanting to make people laugh and smile.

Rest easy.

One Stoney Garnett, there's only one Stoney Garnett!

Got to be sung for the first home game!

• Like 2

Devastating news. 

Part of the Ashton Gate experience and Away Day adventures. His enthusiasm knew no bounds. A real loss of a true Club Legend.

‘The Gate’ will never feel quite the same place again. 

Rest easy. 

• Like 2

I’m gutted to hear this news. As other have said a true Bristol City legend. His jokes were perhaps at times not PC for todays crowd.

That said the way he delivered them had me in stitches on numerous occasions.

The club should mark his passing, as others have said he’s probably city’s most recognisable fan.

Talking of fans, has anyone seen or heard anything ref Rod Stewart? Not seen him about for a while. Hope he’s ok. 

• Like 1

In honesty I thought Stoney was a poor comedian but a genuinely generous man who was a real City character and persona who will be missed by many. Given his long association with City, not just as a supporter, he deserves to be properly remembered by the Club with a fitting tribute. RIP Stoney with condolences to family and friends. 

• Like 1

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

In honesty I thought Stoney was a poor comedian but a genuinely generous man who was a real City character and persona who will be missed by many. Given his long association with City, not just as a supporter, he deserves to be properly remembered by the Club with a fitting tribute. RIP Stoney with condolences to family and friends. 

There was a time when every single time I was on a bus he seemed to be on there. And every single time he was telling somebody the "lion escaped from the zoo" joke. It's a terrible joke, but I laughed every single time I heard him telling it to yet another person. ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Before he transferred to the Dolman he sat by us in the Williams stand and I can tell you he yelled the same thing back then on a very regular basis.

Also remember being refereed by him on several Sunday mornings back in the day.

Just like there are no “maverick” footballers now we have now lost our maverick supporter, what a guy he was. 

14 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

There was a time when every single time I was on a bus he seemed to be on there. And every single time he was telling somebody the "lion escaped from the zoo" joke. It's a terrible joke, but I laughed every single time I heard him telling it to yet another person. ?

If that's the same gag I've heard him tell often, I'll never hear it again without thinking of him.... ?