IGNORED

Hull City away match day thread

Curr Avon

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He has had barely any break this summer & unlike Andi Weimann who has been doing this for years, we are effectively asking him to play back to back seasons at 18.

I’d have had him on the bench today (there would have been meltdown on here) & would use him sporadically for the next month.

I'd agree I hoped he be eased back in.

Is it possible that Tanner and Wilson really weren't ready to start, and so Scott had to play? Assuming Pearson wasn't willing to budge on formation.

Perhaps in a perfect world we would have benched Scott rather than Wilson

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

I'd agree I hoped he be eased back in.

Is it possible that Tanner and Wilson really weren't ready to start, and so Scott had to play? Assuming Pearson wasn't willing to budge on formation.

Perhaps in a perfect world we would have benched Scott rather than Wilson

I don’t know the answer to that, but personally I’m uncomfortable with having too many on the bench who aren’t fit enough to play 90.

Pearson seemed to imply pre match that was the case with Wilson but cannot think Tanner was in that boat.

King was an option too & yet we had a bench with 2 RWBs on it.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t know the answer to that, but personally I’m uncomfortable with having too many on the bench who aren’t fit enough to play 90.

Pearson seemed to imply pre match that was the case with Wilson but cannot think Tanner was in that boat.

Yeh I'm just speculating. I know you wouldn't know the answer. I agreed with your proposed treatment of Scott.

It'll be interesting what we do once Wilson is fully fit. He's clearly first choice RWB so that will free Sykes up to compete with the midfielders for places. 

28 minutes ago, Midred said:

He felt imaginary contact so he was entitled to go down!!

That’s a good point. If you believe in “alternative facts”, as used in the Donald Trump era, then you can believe that the alternative facts is you’re fouled. Therefore you are entitled to fall to the floor. A dangerous concept, but interesting 

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

That’s a good point. If you believe in “alternative facts”, as used in the Donald Trump era, then you can believe that the alternative facts is you’re fouled. Therefore you are entitled to fall to the floor. A dangerous concept, but interesting 

Their manager definitely does!

We played ok today - think 1-1 was a fair reflection but freak goal was cruel.

Though Naismith and Sykes looked good. Conway looked threatening. Vyner did ok but still remains a targeted weak link. 

Plenty of positives and although we did concede late, it wasn’t due to sitting back or poor defending.

Finally ref didn’t help us and looked like we should have had a pen on Atkinson?

1 hour ago, Feral Williams said:

Agree with all of this and would add although it was a brief-ish cameo I thought Tommy Conway looked like he’s going to make an impact this season ?

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Definitely. Nige was asked about him last week and the possibility of him going on loan, but he made it clear that he wouldn't be going anywhere and expects that he can really push to be involved more regularly.

Would be really good to see Conway start against Coventry and Martin rested. 

Guest london_Cider_red

Goals where unlucky but 2nd half we invited the pressure to make them happen, I’d like to see us stand up better to pressure both mentally and physically. 

Not all doom and gloom I think if it wasn’t for poor officiating and a freak goal we probably would have gone away with 3 points and the outlook would have been much better however, Hull aren't going to set this division alight and much better performances will be needed against stronger opposition. 

All three new signings looked good couldn’t really fault them. Our centre midfield worries me as we have our two, supposedly, most experienced and influential cm’s playing a full 90 but didn’t seem to have much impact IMO.

Think we’ll be okay this season… need a little better luck and a bit more more stones to push on when we go in front though. 

Edited by london_Cider_red

31 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

Once again let down by poor officials it’s something that needs to be addressed. Nigel will probably get fined for comments made but it is the officials that should be fined for their poor performance 

I think Nigel will be OK.Even though he got his point across, I thought he did it in a very measured way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Is King really an option?

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Now widely accepted as a 

'Special Football Operation'

17 minutes ago, 42104RED said:

Did the ref say anything after the game about that shocking penalty "decision?"

They are not required to justify their performances unlike everybody else in the game. And there never seem to be any consequences for consistently poor performances.

The fact though is that it's so hard to get people to take up refereeing that we are stuck with those we have, however incompetent.

• Like 1

Why is it that with changes of management coaching and playing personell most of us on here thought that at about 85 mins onward we were very likely to concede and ultimately lose the game, answers on a postcard, personally I'm baffled, we are either cursed or something needs to be done to rid the club of a negative attitude to closing out games, this has gone on far too long was really hoping this season the monkey would be off our backs, instead nothing seems to have changed and we all have to endure biting our nails again for another season.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

They are not required to justify their performances unlike everybody else in the game. And there never seem to be any consequences for consistently poor performances.

The fact though is that it's so hard to get people to take up refereeing that we are stuck with those we have, however incompetent.

The referees assessor would have a dvd of the game. The match official will write a report and you would think the assessor will do the same. 

What got me was officials make mistakes and players take dives in the box for that reason, however Hull’s tackling was industrial from the out set and he kept allowing them to get away with it without a caution. This is what Pearson was referring to in his interview. It was stunning the amount Sykes and Atkinson were being booted around without consequence. 

When you consider that and then the comedy penalty you could not be blamed for thinking “what was that all about. 

Referees will never be asked or expected to comment publicly, but they simply don’t get away with being that much of homer. I wouldn’t be surprised if the penalty ends up on a Baz Savageesque blooper reel for Soccer AM or some such!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

That’s a ******* disgrace

Yes I have just watched again. I’m not sure that Naismith even touched him, but after he thought about it he went down rolling around clutching his shin. 

Yes you are right in your assessment! 

Agree that Sykes looks the business - his nifty bit of footwork to tee up James’s header that required a decent stop from their keeper was a wonderful piece of skill.

Bents made a superb save first half too.

One thing that irritates me, we do tend to find ourselves in a very advanced position upfield and too often we end up going backwards into our own half. Of course you don’t want to surrender possession but I feel we should have a bit more belief and drive at defences a smidge more.

I know the League Cup is considered expendable but I’d like to see us really go at Coventry. Two defeats wouldn’t be ideal preparation for a Sunderland side who will probably fancy their chances.

Edited by WessexPest

28 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Agree that Sykes looks the business - his nifty bit of footwork to tee up James’s header that required a decent stop from their keeper was a wonderful piece of skill.

Bents made a superb save first half too.

One thing that irritates me, we do tend to find ourselves in a very advanced position upfield and too often we end up going backwards into our own half. Of course you don’t want to surrender possession but I feel we should have a bit more belief and drive at defences a smidge more.

I know the League Cup is considered expendable but I’d like to see us really go at Coventry. Two defeats wouldn’t be ideal preparation for a Sunderland side who will probably fancy their chances.

We play Sunderland before we play Coventry!

• Like 1

In the cold light of day, and after due consideration, I still think the Ref was a cock !

At the time, from so far away I thought there might have been contact. Seeing the clip on the way back it's a shocker.
I thought the Ref had been good, even lenient to use first half. They had 2 Pen shouts, one I was worried about, he waved away. Generally I thought he was OK. 2nd half he came out and it looked like we had upset him.
The number of fouls they committed without bookings was ridiculous . 
2 shouts for Pens ignored, 2nd was bordered on assault.
The late , nasty challenge on Atkinson, ignored. 
He followed up by stopping play because their bloke had hurt himself kicking Atkinson.
It was one of the worst Ref's I've seen, and there's a long list.

On the plus side.
Naismith looks good.
Sykes was excellent. 
Atkinson looked good.
Williams & James looks a good fit. Picked the ball off CBs and rotated well.
Vyner did well.
DaSilva did ok but his final ball is poor. 

I think we played well, passing movement and care of the ball was much better. We looked solid at the back for a lot of the game, though I hope they improve with games. It's hard to take when you see bad decisions affect the game like that, and it sounds bitter when you point it out. But the Ref decision making was erratic at best. 
There are good signs IMO, but we could do with a win next week. Just to stop the "same old City" thing being reeled off again.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

In the cold light of day, and after due consideration, I still think the Ref was a cock !

At the time, from so far away I thought there might have been contact. Seeing the clip on the way back it's a shocker.
I thought the Ref had been good, even lenient to use first half. They had 2 Pen shouts, one I was worried about, he waved away. Generally I thought he was OK. 2nd half he came out and it looked like we had upset him.
The number of fouls they committed without bookings was ridiculous . 
2 shouts for Pens ignored, 2nd was bordered on assault.
The late , nasty challenge on Atkinson, ignored. 
He followed up by stopping play because their bloke had hurt himself kicking Atkinson.
It was one of the worst Ref's I've seen, and there's a long list.

On the plus side.
Naismith looks good.
Sykes was excellent. 
Atkinson looked good.
Williams & James looks a good fit. Picked the ball off CBs and rotated well.
Vyner did well.
DaSilva did ok but his final ball is poor. 

I think we played well, passing movement and care of the ball was much better. We looked solid at the back for a lot of the game, though I hope they improve with games. It's hard to take when you see bad decisions affect the game like that, and it sounds bitter when you point it out. But the Ref decision making was erratic at best. 
There are good signs IMO, but we could do with a win next week. Just to stop the "same old City" thing being reeled off again.

Even their player, Seri has said that if VAR was used yesterday, their penalty would have been over-turned!

Says it all…..at least City will probably get a letter of apology from the EFL (again!) this week to apologise for the poor decision!

As you say…..let’s go get a win vs Sunderland next Saturday ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

They got a fake pen, their player should had get a yellow card for diving. Atkinson should had a pen. Think we were the better team. 

We were the better team for much of the first half. They then realised which players to target and how much of a foul they could get away with and got a grip of the game.

Very surprised how bitter Hull fans were towards us. Yesterday was my 4th visit since the playoff final and yet the worst for objects being thrown at us. It took a lot of Police to hold them back at times. Strange lot, I think most of us are well over that Windass game by now and moved on, they it appears have not.

25 minutes ago, RedM said:

We were the better team for much of the first half. They then realised which players to target and how much of a foul they could get away with and got a grip of the game.

Very surprised how bitter Hull fans were towards us. Yesterday was my 4th visit since the playoff final and yet the worst for objects being thrown at us. It took a lot of Police to hold them back at times. Strange lot, I think most of us are well over that Windass game by now and moved on, they it appears have not.

I think that stems from the league game there that season.

11 hours ago, REDOXO said:

The referees assessor would have a dvd of the game. The match official will write a report and you would think the assessor will do the same. 

What got me was officials make mistakes and players take dives in the box for that reason, however Hull’s tackling was industrial from the out set and he kept allowing them to get away with it without a caution. This is what Pearson was referring to in his interview. It was stunning the amount Sykes and Atkinson were being booted around without consequence. 

When you consider that and then the comedy penalty you could not be blamed for thinking “what was that all about. 

Referees will never be asked or expected to comment publicly, but they simply don’t get away with being that much of homer. I wouldn’t be surprised if the penalty ends up on a Baz Savageesque blooper reel for Soccer AM or some such!!

When referee's are this bad and inconsistent I would imagine someone has an eye on him. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Slightly different perspective from the Hull media!  ‘Benjamin Tetteh was felled inside the penalty box by Kal Naismith in the 72nd minute’

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-chief-nigel-pearson-7402995

“Felled”??
Thats disappointing. 9 months of a long season to go, and I’ve already seen the most hilarious comment that I’m going to see all season. 

• Like 1

Think we just got to right that game off as one of those games when luck was not on our side, we lost to a shocking bit of refereeing and a huge deflection from a ball that was heading wide, 

We actually played pretty well for most of the game and looked a lot more solid at the back I thought, 

We really did do enough to win that game and any other day we probably would have, definitely feeling quite confident for next weekend home game, 

• Like 1

Was a bit disheartened seeing the score yesterday, but after seeing the highlights I think we were just quite unlucky (yes I know you "make your own luck" etc). That penalty was comical; you could literally see when he decided to fall over. And then the losing goal was a crazy deflection.

Not too worrying at this point, and seemed like a few of our new players looked pretty good. Credit to Zak Vyner for that assist too; great commitment. Would love to see him do well, would certainly help us out positionally!

12 hours ago, pillred said:

Why is it that with changes of management coaching and playing personell most of us on here thought that at about 85 mins onward we were very likely to concede and ultimately lose the game, answers on a postcard, personally I'm baffled, we are either cursed or something needs to be done to rid the club of a negative attitude to closing out games, this has gone on far too long was really hoping this season the monkey would be off our backs, instead nothing seems to have changed and we all have to endure biting our nails again for another season.

Although we conceded in the 93rd minute it felt quite different to me yesterday, in that Hull were not piling pressure on us and seemed to have settled for a point. Unlike the closing minutes of the first half when we were rather hanging-on. Their winner was the result of a wicked deflection from a long range, speculative shot (even though our defensive header and closing down could have been better.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Terrible refereeing decision, and awful deflection.

We looked far better as a team overall.

My overusing thought, is similar to last season. 

Teams attack us down the flanks and create scoring opportunities from doing so. It was the same last season.

We have to find a way of stopping that.

The middle of the park is much more secure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Terrible refereeing decision, and awful deflection.

We looked far better as a team overall.

My overusing thought, is similar to last season. 

Teams attack us down the flanks and create scoring opportunities from doing so. It was the same last season.

We have to find a way of stopping that.

The middle of the park is much more secure.

That’s the trade off with playing with wing backs. Susceptible out wide but should be stronger in the middle.

They've just talked on Sky about there being a higher bar for foul play this season: there has to be contact and consequences.

Yet Hull get a penalty when there is no contact and the only consequence is a dive. So either the referee didn't get the memo or it's yet another change referees have no intention of implementing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KegCity said:

That’s the trade off with playing with wing backs. Susceptible out wide but should be stronger in the middle.

True but we tend to make little effort to prevent crosses, a problem we have had under successive managers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Oh yes...I agree...however it has been our undoing. I think we could be stronger in preventing crosses and closing down quicker.

And as for our lack of penalties...the way Atkinson was manhandled so many time...we have to start getting in the face of the ref about it more often imo. It works for other teams like Hull yesterday. Psychologically to ref makes a mental note. It soon adds up. It shouldn't, but it does.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

True but we tend to make little effort to prevent crosses, a problem we have had under successive managers.

Agree. Has annoyed me for years how easily teams get crosses in against us. I thought NP would sort it when he signed a new RWB. He seems to like putting non-defenders in there though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spudski said:

And as for our lack of penalties...the way Atkinson was manhandled so many time...we have to start getting in the face of the ref about it more often imo. It works for other teams like Hull yesterday. Psychologically to ref makes a mental note. It soon adds up. It shouldn't, but it does

Yes, we are far too nice in that respect.

• Thanks 1

I was wondering why City players kept getting injured in tackles whereas Hull players only went down when they were time wasting.  It's the same old problem.  Whilst you don't have much control over bad refereeing decisions, you do have control over how committed you are in the tackle.  I suspect we will see more committment and harder tackling from the Lionesses this afternoon than we have seen from a City mens team in a long time. In fact, I find it hard to consider us as a mens team really.

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, chinapig said:

They've just talked on Sky about there being a higher bar for foul play this season: there has to be contact and consequences.

Yet Hull get a penalty when there is no contact and the only consequence is a dive. So either the referee didn't get the memo or it's yet another change referees have no intention of implementing.

The contact is a long time before he goes over so it's def a dive.

2 hours ago, billywedlock said:

On Robins tv they had a replay from a camera situated behind the goal. There was no contact , they guy just did a comedy dive, and the ref, and none of their players, thought penalty. Sari said afterwards it was not a penalty. I am not keen on VAR for every single decision, but awarding a penalty is pretty important . It was blatant cheating. But worse that that, was the lack of yellow cards, the ref gave a freekick, but no card. For incidents that risked injuring badly the player. It was on multiple occasions. They were dangerous fouls , where the intention was to hurt/damage. The ref had a nightmare . 

Here are the "select Group 2 " championship refs 

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/match-officials/select-group-two-officials/select-group-2-match-officials/

There was contact.

20220731_141804.jpg

20220731_141848.jpg

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I was wondering why City players kept getting injured in tackles whereas Hull players only went down when they were time wasting.  It's the same old problem.  Whilst you don't have much control over bad refereeing decisions, you do have control over how committed you are in the tackle.  I suspect we will see more committment and harder tackling from the Lionesses this afternoon than we have seen from a City mens team in a long time. In fact, I find it hard to consider us as a mens team really.

What are you dribbling on about?

• Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Agree with a number of comments on the thread.  Thought we were weak attacking down our left.  JD has to improve his crossing if we are going to play with wing backs.  Pring is always a good option to bring on later in the game but obviously not available yesterday.

From what I've seen of Pring, I think he has looked like a more complete left back/wing back than DaSilva and his erxtra height and bulk is a big advantage.

1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

From what I've seen of Pring, I think he has looked like a more complete left back/wing back than DaSilva and his erxtra height and bulk is a big advantage.

I’m a fan of Pring and hope he gets back to full fitness quickly to challenge JD.  He is definitely better going forward then Jay.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Oh yes...I agree...however it has been our undoing. I think we could be stronger in preventing crosses and closing down quicker.

And as for our lack of penalties...the way Atkinson was manhandled so many time...we have to start getting in the face of the ref about it more often imo. It works for other teams like Hull yesterday. Psychologically to ref makes a mental note. It soon adds up. It shouldn't, but it does.

Probably clutching at straws, but wonder if, unconsciously at least, refs are minded to take more notice of the captain, therefore having our keeper as captain reduces our ability to influence/achieve parity with refs? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

There was contact.

20220731_141804.jpg

20220731_141848.jpg

Agree there was contact but not enough to knock him of balance so why did the Hull player take a couple of steps before deciding to go to ground! He got up straight away no trainer came on. The ref has been conned once again but this only seems to happen in the city box ! Atkinson wiped out needed treatment yet no foul ? Very odd 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

There was contact.

20220731_141804.jpg

20220731_141848.jpg

Doesn't matter. If he immediately went down, no argument, penalty.

He take two full steps and staggered to the floor with the goal in front him. It's not stopped a goal scoring opportunity, nor was it evidently enough to send him to the ground.

Ultimately brings the game into disrepute. Bit shameful.

I'd be of the same opinion if it happened for us against another team. Just no need, goals right there just smash it in the net.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, REDOXO said:

You wonder what Kevin Friend who was at the game yesterday will think/say as the newly appointed manager of the select group 2 referees (which includes Dean Whitestone) I can imagine he will have had plenty to say.

8 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

You wonder what Kevin Friend who was at the game yesterday will think/say as the newly appointed manager of the select group 2 referees (which includes Dean Whitestone) I can imagine he will have had plenty to say.

Well certainly Mr Pearson referred to their conversation and was clearly making a point to him. Mr Whitestone I suspect is having an uncomfortable Sunday. Deservedly So!

On 30/07/2022 at 19:05, BCFC11 said:

How about you don't bother commenting and coming to you're conclusion on a game you've not even seen and others have? Watch it then tell everyone what you think, we were robbed end of.

Well done you have managed to    articulate your thoughts into coherent criticism.......instead of just being Pheckin rude?  The general consensus is we were robbed, now despite being very unlucky and conceding a penalty that was the result of cheating by a player who should have been booked by the incompetent ref.......i just don't personally see it as that simple .

We played extremely well in the first half, but come the 2nd half, our mjdfield began to tire, and slowly we were dominated by Hull's midfield and began to drop deeper, I felt that Pearson did not utiilise the bench sufficiently,  and bolster tired legs by bringing on fresh players.  Both goals were unlucky (Indeed, One was a joke)  However if you concede possession, drop deeper, and do not  do something about it, the oppositions players start taking pot shots, and press and put players in your penalty area. It is then that you are susceptible to exactly what happened.  We were very unfortunate, but i do not see Pearson as blameless, he should have noticed the situation and counter acted it.....he didn't, and by force of numbers and luck Hull turned it round.   To say ^We Wuz Robbed" is simplistic, and is not a true reflection of what happened.  We should have NOT lost that game.....and although Pearson is a good manager, I thought he should have reacted to the situation.   For me, James and Williams cannot sustain 90 minutes, they were both knackered after an hour, and something needs to be done about our midfield....or our "bad luck" could persist?  IMHO......Is that enough W^^king commenting for you?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

There was contact.

20220731_141804.jpg

20220731_141848.jpg

The angle is not great in fairness. All the studs are showing whereas the picture makes is look like it’s full foot contact. It’s not completely conclusive as the tacking foot is closer to the camera than the attackers legs.

He has equally dived in, gets nowhere near the ball,  and may well have made contact. It’s like the attackers brain has gone ‘O , did I feel contact there? I might have done actually, I need to go down’, and ends up making a laughable dive that the ref falls for. If he is brought down by the challange instead of falling over because he thinks he should, no complaints.

Edited by cityexile

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Contact does not equal foul.

It certainly doesn’t, plus has been mentioned numerous times already, the fact that the guy went on for a couple of steps before doing the dying fly (copyright Tiswas) was pathetic.

It’s Monday now & I’m trying to be philosophical about it, but what I do know is as the season goes on the likes of Rowett, Neil & the other Championship managers who have been around the block will certainly be saying to refs before their games that bloke up front for Hull is a diver, don’t get conned by him.

• Like 1