IGNORED

Sunderland at home match day thread

Jerseybean

Note to "Nige" WE NEED A MIDFIELD and play defenders who know what to do.........round and round we go........as I wait for "the bed wetters" post from the usual posters.

1 minute ago, Dan Robin said:

Only the start of the season but...conceding 3 goals at home to a promoted side sounds really bad. ?

What concerns me is the whole familiarity. It feels like last season again already. Very concerning.

Any teams due to get point deductions this ti.e around?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, An Outstanding Human said:

Goes way deeper than that, more to do with the culture of the club, which is solely at the door of Lansdown 

I think a lot of it is the legacy of past mistakes. I think Pearson had brought in the right players, and I rate the youngsters, but we have a legacy of badly thought through signings and contract offers that leave too little room for manoeuvre. 

I think moving Pearson on is absolutely the wrong thing to do but we are going to struggle until we can move out high earners and sub-standard players and reinforce defence and defensive midfield.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think a lot of it is the legacy of past mistakes. I think Pearson had brought in the right players, and I rate the youngsters, but we have a legacy of badly thought through signings and contract offers that leave too little room for manoeuvre. 

I think moving Pearson on is absolutely the wrong thing to do but we are going to struggle until we can move out high earners and sub-standard players and reinforce defence and defensive midfield.

Should we not expect better than last season or just more of the same.

Just now, gl2 said:

Note to "Nige" WE NEED A MIDFIELD and play defenders who know what to do.........round and round we go........as I wait for "the bed wetters" post from the usual posters.

I'm sure he knows the midfield is poor but it's well documented he has no money to spend.The solution is to sell Scott to fund new signings but the usual suspects who moan at everything will accuse the club of having no ambition and selling our best players the usual diatribe you get from City fans but as I said its the only solution available. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

Should we not expect better than last season or just more of the same.

I’d like better but we need a defensive midfielder and a right sided centre back better than Vyner, plus cover for Semenyo. We can afford none of those things and I don’t think much will change until we get those players in .

1 minute ago, ORANGE500 said:

I'm sure he knows the midfield is poor but it's well documented he has no money to spend.The solution is to sell Scott to fund new signings but the usual suspects who moan at everything will accuse the club of having no ambition and selling our best players the usual diatribe you get from City fans but as I said its the only solution available. 

I am rapidly coming to this conclusion too. I would be gutted to lose Scott but that could get us three players we sorely need.

Didn't take long for us to have out enthusiasm drained. Last week I was still optimistic and thought we were hard done by but the amount of sloppy passes that have led to Sunderland opportunities has been woeful, we were unable to turn pressure against us into attack successfully either where Sunderland look dangerous when we lose possession.

We have really bad midfield. And the depth is concerning. We need more defensive and centre midfielders...

We are going for a bottom half without that or even worse. The morale is down also after possibly two defeats.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Didn't take long for us to have out enthusiasm drained. Last week I was still optimistic and thought we were hard done by but the amount of sloppy passes that have led to Sunderland opportunities has been woeful, we were unable to turn pressure against us into attack successfully either where Sunderland look dangerous when we lose possession.

Exactly this, not coped with their press, got caught out too many times, and not a huge amount offered up front. Semenyo is a miss in this side right now.

2 minutes ago, RudiRed said:

Based on today we have little option but to sell and use the returns for some players - relegation fodder otherwise. 

Exactly. And I think it would be a massive risk to lose Bentley or Semenyo given how we have started the season. Which leaves Scott as the one potential asset we could get a fair amount of money for without massively weakening the team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I’d like better but we need a defensive midfielder and a right sided centre back better than Vyner, plus cover for Semenyo. We can afford none of those things and I don’t think much will change until we get those players in .

I still do not understand why a defensive midfielder was not  a priority. It has been needed for so long.

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

I still do not understand why a defensive midfielder was not  a priority. It has been needed for so long.

I don’t know for sure but suspect it was and we missed out on targets. There were a few defensive midfielders we were linked with early in pre-season - not least Rinhomota - and I wonder if we were confident in landing one of them but ultimately missed out.

Immediate reaction.

Disappointing result.

They had us under the cosh at 2-2 and their third certainly felt like it was coming.  At 2-3 Atkinson and Martin both had decent scoring opportunities. Rather like last week we we’re better in the first half.

On the day I feel the better team won tbh. Sunderland will do OK this season if they continue to play like today, especially considering they are still looking to add quite a few to their squad.

Good to see a packed home ground. Hope the City fans, whether new or old, keep the faith.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We play five at the back where the two wing backs, Sykes and Dasilva, aren't really top defenders in the sense of dominating their opponent and heading and tackling. 

We then have another weak link in Vyner.

This defence only has two midfielders in front of it for protection.

You are asking for it. 

Well FT.

Very open match, far too open from our perspective. Sunderland deserved it overall. Two matches, nil points after leading in both.

First half today thought we were ok overall, bar their very poor goal. Second half, just second best. Not going to melt down just yet, but unlike last week when it could be argued we were genuinely unlucky, difficult to not be quite worried after the way that match has actually gone.

Just now, tts_city said:

Pre season optimism shattered again, same shit different season.

What exactly were you expecting when you know there's no money to bring in replacements who are significantly  better so logically it is going to be roughly the same is it not.

Just now, ORANGE500 said:

What exactly were you expecting when you know there's no money to bring in replacements who are significantly  better so logically it is going to be roughly the same is it not.

How about learning the lesson that vyner is shit ? that would be a decent start for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Has to plays wells over Martin it’s been a painful watch today. 

Martin is in there for his defensive work in the box, tends to win a lot of headers at corners. Get someone else that can do that then perhaps so.

2 minutes ago, tts_city said:

How about learning the lesson that vyner is shit ? that would be a decent start for me.

Problem is who else until Kalas is fit?

Priority position is a new right centre back. 

I was going to give Vyner some credit during the first half. But my word that defending for their second goal is criminal. 

He looked as though his feet were trapped in cement. Made no effort to get to the ball. 

Far too inconsistent to be a championship regular. 

Overall I felt we gave it a good go. In possession we look like a top half championship club. Out of position a bottom half club. 

Too keen to play out from the back for the first go. I feel that Bentley shouldn't be giving the ball to Naismith there to begin with. But Bentley was solid throughout, not alot he could do for the goals. 

Alex Scott was a step above. If the Prem Vultures aren't circling already, they might well be after that performance. He controls the game so well. 

• Like 3

Just now, AshtonRobin21 said:

Alex Scott was a step above. If the Prem Vultures aren't circling already, they might well be after that performance. He controls the game so well. 

Might be that we need to sell to improve elsewhere, might be a more positive move overall than we think

• Like 2

Well what a surprise, 3000 away fans come to our ground, have a great time and go home happy. Is there ever any other outcome? 

Two games in, winning in both and threw both away. I think it’s obvious to see that we’re gonna be in for another long hard slog this season, with plenty of late goals conceded and leads thrown away. Gotta grin and bear it I’m afraid.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, RudiRed said:

Conceding 3 and could have been more - little progress made - yes we had decent chances ourselves but top teams don't conceed chances like we do. Starting to lose faith.

Something needs to change. We cannot just have a re run of last season. Otherwise it will surely end in relegation.

3 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I was going to give Vyner some credit during the first half. But my word that defending for their second goal is criminal. 

He looked as though his feet were trapped in cement. Made no effort to get to the ball. 

Overall I felt we gave it a good go. In possession we look like a top half championship club. Out of position a bottom half club. 

Too keen to play out from the back for the first go. I feel that Bentley shouldn't be giving the ball to Naismith there to begin with. But Bentley was solid throughout, not alot he could do for the goals. 

Well I do think Bentley could learn to shut his legs so many balls go between his legs for goals. I’ve lost count myself. 

4 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

We desperately need some pace at the back otherwise two goal plus per game conceded won’t go away.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Wanderingred said:

Well what a surprise, 3000 away fans come to our ground, have a great time and go home happy. Is there ever any other outcome? 

Two games in, winning in both and threw both away. I think it’s obvious to see that we’re gonna be in for another long hard slog this season, with plenty of late goals conceded and leads thrown away. Gotta grin and beer it I’m afraid.

Are they still in the old Atyeo? Woeful if so