IGNORED

Coventry City Carabao Cup away match day thread

Jerseybean

Personally I'd rest Martin, Weimann, Scott, James and Williams.    I'd then want to see how Klose, Tanner and Pring do.  Would be very concerned if key players like them aren't given a start for this. I'd keep Wilson back to start v Wigan. It's then a matter of who needs another game.  This is potentially the first of 4 consecutive midweek games and selection has to account for that.   I'd go mostly 2nd string with some first teamers remaining.  If they win they get another go in the next round.

MOL

Vyner Klose  Towler

Tanner  King  Massengo  Pring

Sykes

Conway  Wells

I'd load the bench in case it's tight and we have a chance to nick it.

Not an amazing team but this is the 1st round of the Carabao cup with a number of games in quick succession coming up.  

Cup draw after the game tonight too. Many Championship sides have fallen so you're looking at a League 2/League 1 dunker (on paper at least...) or a Prem team. Ideal scenario is a win tonight then a shit L2 team from the hat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kolsch said:

Has to try 4 at the back.

O Leary

Tanner

Klose

Towler

Pring

Wilson

King

Massengo

Sykes

Conway

Wells

I get why you might suggest that, but why spend all pre-season settling into a system that he feels suits the players he has and has recruited to, to then dispense with it after 2 matches.

That is what LJ did, flip flopped game to bane, mid-game, etc.

I hope Nige works on fine tuning the back-three based formation, because it isn’t far off clicking.  There’s been evidence in the first two games that it can.

I don’t think a back four, a back two, a back eight or whatever solves the issues we’ve seen….it’s down to players defending better as a team and as individuals. Ultimately I couldn’t give a toss about formations, it isn’t that that defines success.

FWIW, I’d have rather he’d stuck to a back four system last October, but he didn’t and he’s now happy with the system he’s deploying.  I’d rather he stuck with it, or where do new signings like Kane Wilson fit in?

I guess we will learn more later on this evening.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Probably more of a team for Saturday given the need to rest some, but a box midfield with King and Massengo holding, Scott and Sykes running at them, supporting Weimann. 

....................Bentley

.......Klose  Naismith  Atkinson

Wilson  King  Williams  Dasilva

..................Scott  Sykes

.....................Weimann

Nice 

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I get why you might suggest that, but why spend all pre-season settling into a system that he feels suits the players he has and has recruited to, to then dispense with it after 2 matches.

That is what LJ did, flip flopped game to bane, mid-game, etc.

I hope Nige works on fine tuning the back-three based formation, because it isn’t far off clicking.  There’s been evidence in the first two games that it can.

I don’t think a back four, a back two, a back eight or whatever solves the issues we’ve seen….it’s down to players defending better as a team and as individuals. Ultimately I couldn’t give a toss about formations, it isn’t that that defines success.

FWIW, I’d have rather he’d stuck to a back four system last October, but he didn’t and he’s now happy with the system he’s deploying.  I’d rather he stuck with it, or where do new signings like Kane Wilson fit in?

I guess we will learn more later on this evening.  

I just don’t think it works to be honest.

Even last season when we were getting decent results we still looked vulnerable in that system defensively. Without a ball winning midfielder it’s usless.

Wilson will make a better winger than wing back. Early days but in the two league games so far and pre season I think he’s suspect defensively. Hence why Sunderland played on him.

NP was happy to switch formations depending on the opposition last season, so I’d be amazed if they haven’t tried different formations in training and pre season.

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Cup draw after the game tonight too. Many Championship sides have fallen so you're looking at a League 2/League 1 dunker (on paper at least...) or a Prem team. Ideal scenario is a win tonight then a shit L2 team from the hat. 

Can we play Crawley?

He’s right to play the back three again (you can argue Klose for Vyner) because they need to try and get themselves into form. My tweak would be Naismith….if he’s considered the best crosser of the ball in the club then surely he needs to swap with Atkinson firstly because you need the better defender down the middle anyway and also when we do carry it out in wide areas we can deliver some quality?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

He's going to score isn't he?

If so, does it really matter?

We moved on a player on telephone numbers who didn’t fit our system & wasn’t contributing anything.

Mark Sykes (on probably a quarter of the wages) has already started more league games in 22/23 than he did for us in 21/22.

• Like 1

In the latest example of “I have an agenda”, here’s Ian Gay:

Ignoring the fact that he can’t spell Weimann correctly after all this time, he’s pointing to the third choice keeper, a youth player with c10 appearances and a man who’s retired as being injured. Without considering the others in part may be rested.

If we include Baker in the injury list we just as well as include Billy sodding Wedlock.

The. Man. Is. A. ****.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 3

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ignoring the fact that he can’t spell Weimann correctly after all this time, he’s pointing to the third choice keeper, a youth player with c10 appearances and a man who’s retired as being injured. Without considering the others in part may be rested.

If we include Baker in the injury list we just as well as include Billy sodding Wedlock.

The. Man. Is. A. ****.

No indication Klose or Williams are injured to my knowledge. The rest all are.

Edited by BCFCGav
Typo

Just now, BCFCGav said:

No indication Klose or Williams are injured to my knowledge. The rest all are.

Bakers retired to all intents and purposes. Benarous is a player with sub 20 games. Bajic is a cover keeper. If it was Bentley, Scott and Atkinson injured he’d have a point over injuries. He doesn’t. Ever.

• Like 2

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

Bakers retired to all intents and purposes. Benarous is a player with sub 20 games. Bajic is a cover keeper. If it was Bentley, Scott and Atkinson injured he’d have a point over injuries. He doesn’t. Ever.

Our list is always frustratingly long. Though I couldn’t tell you what an average length injury list looks like at other clubs, maybe this is typical. 

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The. Man. Is. A. ****.

Absolute negative cock.

Possible one or two are ill as Nige made reference to yesterday. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The. Man. Is. A. ****.

Yep, he’s a cock.

NP said a while ago Williams wouldn’t play midweek in games like this, so he isn’t “injured”, he’s being kept back for Wigan.

Realistically we have 3 senior players unavailable, Kalas, James & Semenyo.

Klose I guess is unwell, won’t be shocked to see him back in the 18 on Saturday.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Absolute negative cock.

Snap!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Absolute negative cock.

Ian Gay takes every opportunity to slag off everything City, particularly Nige. His negativity lacks any context.

He’s sooooo  ******* depressing………..……:disapointed2se: and claims to be a City fan………..:cool2:

• Robin 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Ian Gay takes every opportunity to slag off everything City, particularly Nige. His negativity lacks any context.

He’s sooooo  ******* depressing………..……:disapointed2se: and claims to be a City fan………..:cool2:

Given a platform by RB and a podcast tho!

• Like 1

Sad to see vile name calling by some of the most prolific posters on here aimed at a fellow fan, his crime was to express his views, and those were not the same views as those posters.?

10 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

Fans have asked me why is Vyner playing  ? 

Klose isn’t available, I’m not sure we had much choice.

I wouldn’t have started him if Klose was available, but he wasn’t, so I’m not sure we have many other options.

6 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Sad to see vile name calling by some of the most prolific posters on here aimed at a fellow fan, his crime was to express his views, and those were not the same views as those posters.?

No, his crime is to come on Radio Bristol and every platform every time he can and be negative. He wouldn’t be happy unless he was the manager, and even then he’d probably punch himself in the face just to be “controversial”.

His second crime, as already outlined, is to express his “views” as fact when we’ve shown they’re a stretch at best (Baker…FFS..he’s claiming someone Not in our squad is injured)

Hes a cock. If you don’t like that, engage with him and tell him to stop displaying cock like tendencies. But don’t moan when he gets called out for his blatant attention seeking.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 5

Obviously taken the instruction to be more aggressive literally.

Though would say he can’t win, stands off he’s weak, gets stuck in, he’s reckless.

Doubt Baker would have been getting flak for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1