IGNORED

Luton Town home match day thread

Jerseybean

Just now, Red Exile said:

Outstanding performance. Best in years! Delighted.

Think I agree, that’s certainly the best full 90 minutes I’ve watched since Pearson joined (I’ve missed a few games admittedly so someone may correct me)

Have to go back to Holdens early games for anything remotely as good for the whole game.

Naismith was absolutely excellent tonight. As close to a 10/10 as you’ll see at this level. Bentley done everything we needed from him, great save at the end. Thought all of the defence were superb. 

Only major thing I thought the ref got wrong was a stonewall pen for us, but agree with the red situation.

Thought masengo was poor in possession but immense second half. Scott I thought was pretty poor but also a lovely weighted ball for the first goal.

subs were spot on tonight and everyone left everything on the pitch. Not far off being a very good team. Hoping this sparks a good run. 

Think Nige has brought in players well so far and can see the value the players he has brought in. 

COYR, well done to everyone involved tonight, onwards and upwards!!

Edited by CiderHeadDan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Wasn’t that in the lead up to the second goal? Or have I made that up? 

I don’t think so, it ended with a shot just wide or blocked from Massengo I think?

Guy interviewing Tommy Conway just confirmed 38 passes

• Like 1

Truely the best committed effort from all for a long while, really enjoyed the first half, this squad can play

NP I take it back you do know what you are doing; Cut out the errors and we CAN be a force in this div. :clap:

Thought up to the sending off, it looked much more likely for us to get a third rather than they got one back. Played some very decent stuff.

A win means we can breath a little. Well deserved, thought it was a penalty and a sending off for what it is worth.

NP does seem to have that knack of whenever we really start to need a win we get one. Long long way to go, but that helps the mood a lot. Win the next one and it will be pretty high!

• Like 1

First game in ages when both halfs were good. I can't find a man of the match because the team worked well like the all 11 players were just ONE. I kinda liked the start of the second half, the passing and the confidence of build up play. You could see Dasilva can dribble if the game is positive and the players are relaxed. You could see Massengo looking very nice in my opinion because the pressure was off.

It is all about the mental state of the players. A lot of the players in this team can improve ( young lads ) but they can play better also with their curent level. Nigel has to find some way to keep the motivated, calm and to have faith in their forces as individuals, and from there as a Complete Team.

Vyner i can't say that I liked him. The team had a lot of nice pressing and he had an easier game but I still miss Kalas to replace him. I don't see Vyner as a starting player.

GG City !

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

First league win, in difficult conditions: good job, Robins! :worship2:

Hopefully we'll build on this performance. Glad to see Conway progress, especially with the risk of losing Antoine.

That being said, we have had referees against us in 3 games out of 4: I hope that things will change, or our percentage of stress will probably be much higher than the number of wins...

Really enjoyed that. We played some lovely football at times and defended the last 20 comfortably in the circumstances. We kept the ball better for the most part and as a result we weren’t blowing out of our arsed at the end. Naismith looked like the player we think we’ve got, Vyner and Atkinson did their jobs and I really like Wells and Conway as a pairing.

Great evening.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, firstdivision said:

We passed it. Joyous. 

Unbelievable decision from the ref not to give a penalty for a foul on Rob Atkinson. Glad it didn’t matter in the end. But just not good enough. 

As with most refs at our level they’re ok until a big decision comes along………

• Like 1

We were good tonight.

Loved the pace and guile of TC and Nahki, and Naismith, Atkinson and Vyner were a proper unit. 8/10’s all over the pitch.

The sending off was an orange card in my view and could have gone either way, but with predictable refs in this league he was always going to walk him. Shame as theres a lot to like about Sykes.

Proper win that. Looked like they were together and desperate for it.

Oh and a moment I particularly loved was Scotty ditching someone with a lovely sliding tackle, megging the next clown and then narrowly getting his pass wrong. I think he forgot Martin had replaced Conway and was never getting there!

You Redssssssss.

Edited by TomThumb84
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Luton are there for the taking like a ripe low hanging plum.

We will beat them by several goals and continue our upward ascent towards the summit of this Division.

Easy game, no worries and happy days.

Just in case you guys didn't see it the first time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

Not often you see any team when every player plays well, great to see. Looked really dangerous going forward and think the two changes from the weekend were key in supporting that - aka more pace/energy. Both Conway and Wells make great runs and their runs are a lot more complementary than most other combinations we’ve had over the years. General togetherness brilliant across the team. Has Zak turned a corner with Naismith barking at him (and everyone else) constantly? Has looked solid for a few games now. 8/10 minimums I reckon for the starting XI, could move Sykes down for being sent off, but played really well and not sure would have been sent off it wasn’t for the Freeman instigated brouhaha. 

• Like 1

Just now, Porto Red said:

Agreed

Amazing performance thought midfield was lightweight but if you have a bit of pace and energy like Conway and Wells who are building an understanding up front it shows the possibilities.dont dislike Martin but totally different attitude to  team with a more fluid 2 up top.

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Really enjoyed that. We played some lovely football at times and defended the last 20 comfortably in the circumstances. We kept the ball better for the most part and as a result we weren’t blowing out of our arsed at the end. Naismith looked like the player we think we’ve got, Vyner and Atkinson did their jobs and I really like Wells and Conway as a pairing.

Great evening.

Agree with all of this, very much liked the tempo we played at too, not harem scarem, but controlled pace with a really effective press. Maybe the cooler weather allows us to play like that…

• Like 1

Played excellent football this evening. Conway and Wells together were a breath of fresh air and we had considerably more energy in midfield with Scott and Massengo next to each other. The defence looked like a proper unit too.

Excellent team performance. Hopefully this is a turning point now.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Paulton Red said:

Only thing that worries me about tonight…Weiman didn’t score, maybe it’s time to sell him, he’s clearly past it ?

He must have just "run around a lot" tonight then!

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

What a performance tonight. That’s the Bristol City we can be. Massengo, Scott, Sykes And Dasilva dictating play through the midfield, forward line with pace, mobility, movement and great combinations, and solid at the back led by an outstanding Naismith and ably supported by Atkinson and Vyner who were both excellent.  Shame about the sending off which looked a bit harsh to me, but stayed solid after that which was nearly as pleasing as our dominance in the first half.  Don’t want to get too excited, but hopefully that can spur us on for another performance at the weekend and beyond. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Mihai said:

First game in ages when both halfs were good. I can't find a man of the match because the team worked well like the all 11 players were just ONE. I kinda liked the start of the second half, the passing and the confidence of build up play. You could see Dasilva can dribble if the game is positive and the players are relaxed. You could see Massengo looking very nice in my opinion because the pressure was off.

It is all about the mental state of the players. A lot of the players in this team can improve ( young lads ) but they can play better also with their curent level. Nigel has to find some way to keep the motivated, calm and to have faith in their forces as individuals, and from there as a Complete Team.

Vyner i can't say that I liked him. The team had a lot of nice pressing and he had an easier game but I still miss Kalas to replace him. I don't see Vyner as a starting player.

GG City !

Top post but have to slightly disagree with the Vyner comment. I’m not his biggest fan but thought he was excellent tonight in a solid defensive performance.

Apart from that thought, you’ve got it spot on!

• Like 4

Just now, SouthS22 said:

What a performance tonight. That’s the Bristol City we can be. Massengo, Scott, Sykes And Dasilva dictating play through the midfield, forward line with pace, mobility, movement and great combinations, and solid at the back led by an outstanding Naismith and ably supported by Atkinson and Vyner who were both excellent.  Shame about the sending off which looked a bit harsh to me, but stayed solid after that which was nearly as pleasing as our dominance in the first half.  Don’t want to get too excited, but hopefully that can spur us on for another performance at the weekend and beyond. 

Agreed - we obviously have some limitations, the squad is a bit thin etc. and there will be ups and downs. But what a difference to watch a team that is positive, committed and fighting for each other and the shirt. Fans responded as well. Feel like finally we have something like our team back

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

I'd like to see Freeman's reaction again, don't think i've seen that replayed.

He just chested Sykes in the back. Never a red for Freeman. Sykes got sent off because the ref saw him get caught/held back when tackled and looked like he went in angrily/out of control.

I think the ref got all the decision correct. Sykes was just about a red, Freeman was a yellow and I don't think Atkinson was a penalty although I didn't really see a great angle of it.

I actually thought the ref gave us many 50/50 decisions where our players just fell over with minimal contact if any.

• Like 1