IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Living The Dream

Sheltons Army

He looks the real deal to me. Pace, movement, aggression, instinctive goals. Every game I’ve seen him in the first team he has either scored, or come close. But most importantly, he seems eager and able to learn quickly, reminds me a little if Joe Bryan in that respect, however he is doing at a higher level, earlier in his career. Could he be the semenyo  replacement - and go beyond him? 

Edited by ciderwithtommy

1 minute ago, ciderwithtommy said:

He looks the real deal to me. Pace, movement, aggression, instinctive goals. Every game I’ve seen him in the first team he has either scored, or come close. But most importantly, he seems eager and able to learn quickly, reminds me a little if Joe Bryan in that respect, however he is doing at a higher level, earlier in his career. Could he be the semenyo  replacement - and go beyond him? 

When I’ve seen him in U23s his work rate , movement has always impressed me 

He’s an ‘all round footballer’ - got a bit of everything and an all round game

Most of the goals I’ve seen him score , he’s ‘passed’ the ball into the net , which is normally a good sign

(I’m not comparing their level. :laugh: ) But he’s a bit Kane like in his all round game

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

He’s noticeably stronger this season. What’s very noticeable is that he looks to “spin” his man a lot, and does it well. Little lean in as ball comes to him and then transfers balance to other foot and accelerates away as defender adjusting. Did that extremely well today.

…and quicker too…imho.

5 hours ago, Cityboy1954 said:

So would you still play martin ? 

The way in which Nige used Martin was excellent. Coming on late to bolster the 10 men and help see the game out. I noticed he had plenty of touches during his cameo  - more in that time than he had in the entire game at Wigan………...:cool2:

• Like 1

Nige will have a selection conundrum when Semenyo becomes available again. Watching game last night with City playing so well I wondered what a difference AS could have made with his added pace and power especially down the flanks.

His strengths are very different to Wells and Conway and City are blessed to have so many striking options.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He definitely did - I lost track after 5 touches in the first two mins that he was on.

As Harry said earlier on here we had to change things but taking off those two upfront allowed them to push us back should have brought a fullback on but hey ho three points 

19 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

As Harry said earlier on here we had to change things but taking off those two upfront allowed them to push us back should have brought a fullback on but hey ho three points 

It did but I’d also say both of them had run themselves into the ground and were flagging, added to fact Wells was on a booking and the officials were at risk of losing control of the game.

That Conway interview is a joy to hear. I severely doubt he’d have got a chance if certain other managers were still here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

He definitely did - I lost track after 5 touches in the first two mins that he was on.

1 hour ago, Henry said:

Wrong.

7D21A3AD-F4A0-46F9-9760-28E07BC90B66.jpeg

ACE9B144-75DD-4153-815D-D3B62160ACB2.jpeg

You beat me to it…Robbored is wrong.

Perhaps if you stop counting at 5 you miss the other 23 touches.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You beat me to it…Robbored is wrong.

Perhaps if you stop counting at 5 you miss the other 23 touches.

I remember him receiving the ball, controlling it before laying it off - that was when I lost track. I stopped counting at five.

Prior to this week, I wasn’t sure about Conway in the limited times I’d seen him. 
But his performances over the last week have been terrific and I’m looking forward to seeing more. 
Deserves to keep his starting place. 

• Like 5

Great runs, both wider and between the posts. Seems to have great intuition as when to go in on goal vs when to pull back out and offer himself back to goal - looks able to both poach and do a more rounded role. Plenty of pace and decent strength. Also like the attitude, can’t remember who (think Alex, Andi or Han), but someone lost the ball second half and were out of position, Tommy immediately sprinted back to cover and got a toe in. 

I’m definitely carried away and excited about him doubling Mitrovic’s tally from last season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Harry said:

Prior to this week, I wasn’t sure about Conway in the limited times I’d seen him. 
But his performances over the last week have been terrific and I’m looking forward to seeing more. 

Many on here dismiss players too quickly without thinking that they can be coached into being a better player or will improve with age and if they grow physically stronger.

It wasn't long ago that many were writing off Semenyo but look at him now.

Give 'em a chance! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

As a scout though I'm sure you appreciated that a player who turned 20 a week ago shouldn't be judged off a few substitute appearances?

45 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Weimann, Conway and Semenyo would be our best front three

I could see some merit to it, wondered it myself but otoh vs stronger opposition, away from home- there is also a case for the experience and attributes of Martin.

Certain games though I think that could be very exciting.

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

Many on here dismiss players too quickly without thinking that they can be coached into being a better player or will improve with age and if they grow physically stronger.

It wasn't long ago that many were writing off Semenyo but look at him now.

Give 'em a chance! 

37 minutes ago, DaveF said:

As a scout though I'm sure you appreciated that a player who turned 20 a week ago shouldn't be judged off a few substitute appearances?

Agree 100%. 
I just hadn’t seen very much of him. I hadn’t seen any of his games in the unders and so only seen a few minutes here and there in his first team appearances to go on - and up til last week I wouldn’t say he showed anything particular in those limited minutes. 
Now he’s been given his chance he’s taken it with both hands and I’ll be disappointed if he isn’t starting on Sunday. 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Tommy Conway - Living The Dream
12 hours ago, Logical-City said:

Glad to see him play well but I wish the media team and fans would stop referring to him as TC makes me cringe, Conway is sufficient his a player not your mate

His close friends get to call him TC

Edited by Porto Red
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Great for him, first League goal at AG- is it his first in the League too?

Definitely been a worthy starter last 3.

Scored at Millwall during the pandemic season, brilliant pass by Henri Lansbury.

Thought them playing with Woodrow and Clark as a pair of no10s with just Osho as the centre midfielder made life easier for us.  We knew we were gonna have to get around the nod downs / loose balls, and Massengo and Scott did that well.  Also Sykes and Dasilva got close to Vyner and Atkinson respectively and nipped loads of ball away from them.

But with the ball, as soon as anyone picked a pass through their “front four box” we basically had men over, that Osho didn’t know whether he was coming or going.  Not least with Weimann dragging him around.  Naismith in particular threaded some good balls through.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Harry said:

Agree 100%. 
I just hadn’t seen very much of him. I hadn’t seen any of his games in the unders and so only seen a few minutes here and there in his first team appearances to go on - and up til last week I wouldn’t say he showed anything particular in those limited minutes. 
Now he’s been given his chance he’s taken it with both hands and I’ll be disappointed if he isn’t starting on Sunday. 

In under 23 side he was a talker. Encouraging, advising, covering others in trouble.

The type of leader, we have been missing in our side through the years before Pearson arrived on the scene.

In some ways I wish he was a centre half or midfield controller. But I'll take him as an attacker as we may lose Semenyo in the not too distant future.

17 hours ago, Harry said:

Agree 100%. 

He looked a lot more mature in his game than those around him at u23 level imo, especially lately.

I've been saying for some time (years) that he had something about him which made him stand out - just needed the chance and a little run in the side to give him that confidence. I'm pretty sure Wells has helped him along.

As @Davefevs said, he seems to have put on some muscle and also looks a bit quicker this season as well. His fitness shouldn't be a problem as he was top in just about all measurements in pre-season as I understand it.

I'd also be disappointed if he isn't selected for Sundays game.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

He looked a lot more mature in his game than those around him at u23 level imo, especially lately.

I've been saying for some time (years) that he had something about him which made him stand out - just needed the chance and a little run in the side to give him that confidence. I'm pretty sure Wells has helped him along.

As @Davefevs said, he seems to have put on some muscle and also looks a bit quicker this season as well. His fitness shouldn't be a problem as he was top in just about all measurements in pre-season as I understand it.

I'd also be disappointed if he isn't selected for Sundays game.

Thanks for the ‘bulking up’ comment, that’s interesting. I think that was one of doubts when I first saw him in the first team, he just looked skinny and weak and I thought that would hold him back. But as you say he looks a bit stronger, less waif like. This helps massively. 

• Like 1

The lads enthusiastic approach to the game is refreshing, his closing down of defenders makes him a nuisance and that’s good and also he don’t mind pulling the trigger which is what we’ve lacked , carry on young TOMMY GUNN and enjoy the game ?

tommy gun you ain’t happy less you got one

tommy Gunn scores a goal and the game is won 

2 hours ago, Magger1 said:

The lads enthusiastic approach to the game is refreshing, his closing down of defenders makes him a nuisance and that’s good and also he don’t mind pulling the trigger which is what we’ve lacked , carry on young TOMMY GUNN and enjoy the game ?

He gives as good as he gets too…but of a “smiling assassin” about him.

Digressing slightly, although still on the subject of “a bit of an edge”…Alex Scott, is a competitive little sod, he doesn’t care who he goes in with.  Got “dirty bastard no1” v Cov - Martyn Waghorn, left him limping, worth the yellow card, got “dirty bastard no2 v Wigan - James McLean with two fantastic 50:50s one after the other.

It is things like this that guide me in thinking both have got what it takes.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Digressing slightly, although still on the subject of “a bit of an edge”…Alex Scott, is a competitive little sod, he doesn’t care who he goes in with.  Got “dirty bastard no1” v Cov - Martyn Waghorn, left him limping, worth the yellow card, got “dirty bastard no2 v Wigan - James McLean with two fantastic 50:50s one after the other.

Let’s hope Dave 

Fantastic interview.  Watching our local lads come through the academy and putting in performances like Tonmy did on Saturday is what it's all about for me.  It's really means everything to him to get to where he has and boy does it come across.  Well done Tommy.

And also to hear NP recognise his hard work, character and commitment is really pleasing. 

Hopefully we'll see alot more him this season.  ?

• Like 1

There might be some extra muscle to him, the young players are not encouraged to build muscle until they have finished growing. Sometimes a new found confidence can make a difference to how they hold themselves and how they use their bodies, which can make them look bigger.

I wonder also if we are seeing the early effect of Jason Euell's coaching of the strikers?

• Hmmm 1

He's 20 now...football players peak fitness/ athletisism is around 24/25. In general, according to scientists, between the ages of 20 to 30 is the prime. Anything after 30 you decline.

Conway was mentioned pre season during fitness camp as being one of our fittest players.

He's definitely stronger this season...and imo...faster.

• Like 2

On 17/08/2022 at 18:18, Harry said:

Like all younger players you’ve got to give them time. Not so long ago Semenyo was out of his depth, League 2 “at best” according to a few football geniuses on here.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He definitely looks quicker to me too, made that point after the Wigan game.  He gets away from his opponent with the ball now it seems.

Thought the most significant thing I’ve heard about him was NP making the point that he was a ‘fast learner’

When I’ve seen him on the odd occasion coming through he seemed to look a ‘better footballer’ , each time you saw him , with a bit more added to his game , and a bit of a leader 

You get the impression that he clearly loves what he does , is really appreciative of his opportunities , and is a bit of a ‘prize student’ , ultra keen and appreciative to learn, absorb and improve

Add some natural ability , and you’ve got a real chance haven’t you !

• Like 4

3 hours ago, spudski said:

He's 20 now...football players peak fitness/ athletisism is around 24/25. In general, according to scientists, between the ages of 20 to 30 is the prime. Anything after 30 you decline.

Conway was mentioned pre season during fitness camp as being one of our fittest players.

He's definitely stronger this season...and imo...faster.

True, but post 30 you have the knowledge of how to play the game in all situations. For example Klose was able to deal with Simms the other week whereas the other three got ripped apart by him despite being more physically able. That’s why you need balance not 11 young un’s or 11 old un’s.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

To play a decent standard of mens football at 15 like Scott did for Guernsey against opponents who will snap you in two as soon as look at you if it gets them a win shows that the lad has always had the “attitude” required.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

True, but post 30 you have the knowledge of how to play the game in all situations. For example Klose was able to deal with Simms the other week whereas the other three got ripped apart by him despite being more physically able. That’s why you need balance not 11 young un’s or 11 old un’s.

I read an interesting post on Leicester’s forum where the author recounted how initially Pearson got rid of any dross and initially signed young hungry players and they were much better but fell short

Appearing to have identified this , The second season he signed some wise experienced heads to add to the squad and hey presto

When you look at some of the younger players we have coming through here , it appears from his business that he’s signing young and hungry too add to the pot  and experienced heads to guide , in the same process (Learnt from experience ?)

We are not financially in a position to sign players allegedly at their prime, and I’m not convinced Pearson going down that route even if we were

It looks to me that he’s trying to build a side maximising the young talent we currently have,  and coming through , and I think the challenge appeals to him 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 5
  • Robin 1

45 minutes ago, mozo said:

It wasn't really Conway's running speed that I noticed on Saturday. It was more his speed of thought which seems to have improved loads.

Benefits brought by the speed of thought,at football is exactly like the drivers of cars at dual lane traffic lights. Just because one driver has a brand new expensive car, doesn't mean he starts first.

Conway, Scott and Semenyo are much quicker thinkers than the majority of the MA dross that he left us with.

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Benefits brought by the speed of thought,at football is exactly like the drivers of cars at dual lane traffic lights. Just because one driver has a brand new expensive car, doesn't mean he starts first.

Conway, Scott and Semenyo are much quicker thinkers than the majority of the MA dross that he left us with.

Yeah, but does he run towards adversity?