IGNORED

Nige on SSN

Silvio Dante

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Nothing has changed. 

I’m still allowed an opinion as a fan. 
Because my opinion may be different from the majority on this, doesn’t mean I can’t have it or other things are jeopardised as a result. 

Which should be a given on here but sadly sometimes isn't.

For what it's worth I value your knowledge and contribution whether or not I agree with any given post of yours. I suspect and hope the majority would say the same.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Harry said:

Nothing has changed. 

Because my opinion may be different from the majority on this, doesn’t mean I can’t have it or other things are jeopardised as a result. 

It’s what the forum is all about. 99% can debate . I don’t agree with your analysis from last night and normally your spot on. We have a great forum . And you contribute well. Just stay of the politics page.  :laughcont:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Which should be a given on here but sadly sometimes isn't.

For what it's worth I value your knowledge and contribution whether or not I agree with any given post of yours. I suspect and hope the majority would say the same.

Likewise @Harry….now sort out your view of Conway ???

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Saying you think of quitting because of some reffing decisions!! Ha ha. What a load of tripe. 
Get a grip Nige. 

Ref was spot on last night. Sykes clear red. Freeman clear yellow. Atkinson no pen. 
I’m also in a minority that says the Hull penalty was a pen. 
I’d agree with the Wigan player deserving a red last week but that’s the only one that’s clearly and obviously gone against us. 
All our other penalty shouts this season are the type of ones that every team will also have had a shout for this season. 

Many of you are being incredibly one-eyed on this. Imagine if Lee Johnson had said this ?. You’d all be saying what a little cry baby he is! 

Clear push on Atkinson no pen ! Ok then  that can be debated . Hull was a pen though ? I think you’ve lost the plot 

• Like 1

Just watched the clip of Nige on the Sky Sports YouTube channel (with comments by David James) - very interesting the way they've cut it... They've not included the bit about the letter re the Hull game and sort of given the impression it was all about the sending off last night. Thought that was v. poor (though perhaps not totally unexpected from Sky).

Edited by Try Again coatpile
Typo grr
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Nothing has changed. 

T’was a light hearted joke??

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Try Again coatpile said:

Just watched the clip of Nige on the Sky Sports YouTube channel (with comments by David James) - very interesting the way they've cut it... They've not included the bit about the letter re the Hull game and sort of given the impression it was all about the sending off last night. Thought that was v. poor (though perhaps not totally unexpected from Sky).

Yet again an 'expert' commenting with no actual knowledge. Ex-players get employed because they are ex-players not because they are knowledgable. It's extraordinary how many of them seem to have learned nothing from their career or are incapable of communicating what they have learned.

Of course doing research on the club you are talking about is too much like hard work as well.

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, luke_bristol said:

It would be nice if they actually do their research and have a look at our penalty stats and apology letter situation, but perhaps I hope for too much.

Ring up and tell them.

52 minutes ago, Try Again coatpile said:

Keeping on side with fa and Premier league to protect their interests.

If you're looking for professional coverage of this from someone informed about our club, then City fan Paul Watson discusses it for a minute or two on Guardian Football Weekly.  He is such a fan that he simply refers to City as "we" and "us" to the extent that Glendenning has to clarify the team at the end of the segment.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/series/footballweekly

At about 41:20 minutes in.

No particularly new angle on it, but it's someone who gets it and can accurately place it in context.

I think that NP is 100% correct about terrible decisions such as giving or not giving a penalty decision or a sending off decision. You can work as hard as you like, get the best players available, build a team and club only for an ineffectual ref or linesman to eff it all up. The Championship works on such incredibly fine margins around both the play off positions and the relegation positions. Any number of points lost in one game can be the difference between a crack at the Prem for some or the trap door to L1 for others.

I'm pleased he said it and hope it leads to something more than a footnote on Skysports.

However, the comments about chucking the towel in at BCFC as a result is unsettling and does nothing to help those of us who have question marks about Nige's position at our club. Every time I start seeing NP through @Davefevsglasses, the bloody lenses fall out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

Danny Murphy another awful pundit.

Unfair, on a good week on Match of the Day he is remarkably, um, dull and uninformative. A master of stating the bleeding obvious in fact.

Only a true expert could come up with insight like "He should have scored there Gary."

Thought last night was very exciting and a sustained glimpse of what NP has been promising for what seems like a very, very long time - so I'm delighted.   Great to see the new players performing so well and for the likes of Nakhi and Zak to show what they are capable of.   Very encouraging 

I do find arguments about refs very circular.   

Refs weren't any better or worse before - what has happened is that every decision is now recorded for everyone to pore over ad infinitum.   In the old days you just forgot about it.

Yes it is statistically possible that 80000 Chelsea fans are right and that one particular ref has made an unusually high number of decisions against Chelsea.   But anything is statistically possible in an expanding universe.   Surely nobody really thinks that a ref would deliberately set out to do it?    And banging  on about it and signing petitions is only likely to put pressure on him and make him more likely to make unconsciously biased decisions.    And yes, we may have had more bad decisions against us this season , but that's always going to happen to some club.   SH1t happens.    Maybe we've had fewer pens than any other team.     Really - are they all ganging up on us?   That's so mean.    Diddums.  Move on.

I even think that if a ref proves to make more mistakes than others he should still play the whole season so all teams get subjected to the same below par reffing.   Unfair to drop them until everybody has suffered!    

Poor refereeing is like life.    We all have bad days and sh1tty times.    With performances like last night, I think we can all now hope for some good days at last and we won't be relying on refereeing decisions to keep us happy

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

If you're looking for professional coverage of this from someone informed about our club, then City fan Paul Watson discusses it for a minute or two on Guardian Football Weekly.  He is such a fan that he simply refers to City as "we" and "us" to the extent that Glendenning has to clarify the team at the end of the segment.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/series/footballweekly

At about 41:20 minutes in.

No particularly new angle on it, but it's someone who gets it and can accurately place it in context.

He maybe a celebrity (!) fan of sorts.  But his quote "It was a terrible tackle, a clear red card tackle"  is IMHO patently bollox?

Just now, Super said:

It was a clear red card.

In your opinion, and clearly the substandard referee's?, I have watched the incident 6 to 7 or so  times to make it clear in my mind.  At worst it is a Yellow.  The sending off was an over reaction but yet another kneejerk official.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

In your opinion, and clearly the substandard referee's?, I have watched the incident 6 to 7 or so  times to make it clear in my mind.  At worst it is a Yellow.  The sending off was an over reaction but yet another kneejerk official.    

Majority that saw it thought it was including Pearson.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

It was a blatant red card. 
It wasn’t clumsy or ‘professional’, it was clearly malicious and with forceful intent. 
A horrible tackle, compounded by his feigning a head injury after too. 
He might be our player, but if that was an opposition player he’d be getting pelters, so we should call it out. Horrible tackle, with intent, and faking a head injury. Not a good look Mr Sykes. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, Super said:

Majority that saw it thought it was including Pearson.

Mmmm, Interesting that you took a straw poll of thousands of observers, you must be exhausted?.....not so sure about Pearson saying it was a sending off?  Find me the quote or video and i will check it out?   Anyhow we can play Ping Pong forever?   i say it was an absurd over reaction by an over zealous referee, you say it was a terrible tackle that deserved a red card?  Let's' just  agree to disagree.......even though i am quite obviously in the right!  Ha!!

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

It was a blatant red card. 
It wasn’t clumsy or ‘professional’, it was clearly malicious and with forceful intent. 
A horrible tackle, compounded by his feigning a head injury after too. 
He might be our player, but if that was an opposition player he’d be getting pelters, so we should call it out. Horrible tackle, with intent, and faking a head injury. Not a good look Mr Sykes. 

i didn't  realise you were the all seeing all knowing Bhagwan of Ashton Gate?, I will obviously have to make sure i do not challenge your authority again.  It must be great to always be right?

25 minutes ago, maxjak said:

He maybe a celebrity (!) fan of sorts.  But his quote "It was a terrible tackle, a clear red card tackle"  is IMHO patently bollox?

Mate that particular point has been done to death hasn't it? It was a red. Rule 12 covers it. Key part is:

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

There's then a list, one of which is "serious foul play". That is defined as follows:

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

I am quite satisfied that the Sykes tackle fits the above. It was a fair red card.

I might agree with you that Watson's use of the word "terrible" is an element of hyperbole. But the basic agreement is that it's a fair red.

As to Pearson agreeing, or at least having "no complaints" with the red. That's in his Sky post match interview. First question, at the following link.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12674807/nigel-pearson-i-might-walk-away-due-to-officiating-standards

Edited by ExiledAjax

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Mate that particular point has been done to death hasn't it? It was a red. Rule 12 covers it. Key part is:

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

There's then a list, one of which is "serious foul play". That is defined as follows:

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

I am quite satisfied that the Sykes tackle fits the above. It was a fair red card.

I might agree with you that Watson's use of the word "terrible" is an element of hyperbole. But the basic agreement is that it's a fair red.

As to Pearson agreeing with the red. That's in his Sky post match interview. First question, at the following link.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12674807/nigel-pearson-i-might-walk-away-due-to-officiating-standards

I normally respect your intelligent posts...........but all i can say in this instance is......Whatever?

9 minutes ago, maxjak said:

i didn't  realise you were the all seeing all knowing Bhagwan of Ashton Gate?, I will obviously have to make sure i do not challenge your authority again.  It must be great to always be right?

Well that’s a strange reaction. My opinion says it was a horrible tackle and fully deserving of a red card; your opinion is that it wasn’t. 
That doesn’t make me a Bhagwan (whatever that may be). 
It means that I saw it very differently to you. 
However, whatever your view of it is, I disagree with you, not because I’m any sort of authority on the matter but by virtue of the simple fact of using my eyes to see a clearly fired up Sykes was peed off at not getting a free kick and launched himself into a tackle with full rage and intent and was rightly dismissed, and then proceeded to fake a head injury after being pushed in the back. 
You may not like that; but it’s my opinion and yes, I do think I am right. I can’t fathom how anyone can defend Sykes for that last night. 

Here’s a thought - watch that incident back and pretend we’re the away team and that Freeman is our player. Now come back and tell me you wouldn’t be furious if their bloke wasn’t sent off. 

Edited by Harry

50 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

However, the comments about chucking the towel in at BCFC as a result is unsettling and does nothing to help those of us who have question marks about Nige's position at our club. Every time I start seeing NP through @Davefevsglasses, the bloody lenses fall out.

Or putting the lenses back in (?)….as shit as the overall game is and he’d love to pack it in, focus on his health, family and walking holidays….he’s here to do an unselfish job, likes a challenge and will try to make a difference whilst he’s still in the game. ???

I normally respect your intelligent posts...........but all i can say in this instance is......Whatever?

Are you ok?

You asked for where Pearson has said it was a red and have been given the info, and yet come out with the very childish "whatever"? 

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

As to Pearson agreeing, or at least having "no complaints" with the red. That's in his Sky post match interview. First question, at the following link.

This is the bit that bugs me most about the cut of the sky YouTube - it makes it look like he's complaining about the decision he isn't actually complaining about (also the one that the majority of replies on here seem to agree was at least reasonable) and deflecting away from the ones that he and we are - some of which we have a letter of apology for. (If I wanted reporting like that I'd watch the political news)

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well that’s a strange reaction. My opinion says it was a horrible tackle and fully deserving of a red card;l, your opinion is that it wasn’t. 
That doesn’t make me a Bhagwan (whatever that may be). 
It means that I saw it very differently to you. 
However, whatever your view of it is, I disagree with you, not because I’m any sort of authority on the matter but by virtue of the simple fact of using my eyes to see a clearly fired up Sykes was peed off at not getting a free kick and launched himself into a tackle with full rage and intent and was rightly dismissed, and then proceeded to fake a head injury after being pushed in the back. 
You may not like that; but it’s my opinion and yes, I do think I am right. I can’t fathom how anyone can defend Sykes for that last night. 

Here’s a thought - watch that incident back and pretend we’re the away team and that Freeman is our player. Now come back and tell me you wouldn’t be furious if their bloke wasn’t sent off. 

My God....you do go on?   PS  If you are ever lacking a definition, may i recommend Google?  PS  To save you the trouble, Bhagwan is a Hindu term meaning all knowing Lord   PPS.  I can safely say with my hand on my heart, that No i would not be furious, as that would be an over reaction.......rather similar to the referee's

6 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Are you ok?

You asked for where Pearson has said it was a red and have been given the info, and yet come out with the very childish "whatever"? 

Who rattled your cage....and invited you to the party?  if Exiled Ajax is polite enough to reply to my post in a reasonable manner.........what the pheck  has it got to do with you?  Go and have your own petty tiff somewhere else.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, 2015 said:

If you ever watch European football you realise how BAD our officials are from the top to bottom. Most of them just don't even understand the game

They do understand the game, I can guarantee you that. They know a damn sight more about the game than the people who watch the game from the stands.

Its fine for everyone to slag of referees, but anyone can take a referees course and show us all how easy it is, perhaps we have a few on this thread who would like to show us!.

• Like 2

Who rattled your cage....and invited you to the party?  if Exiled Ajax is polite enough to reply to my post in a reasonable manner.........what the pheck  has it got to do with you?  Go and have your own petty tiff somewhere else.

Oooohhhh... someone has been on the juice today.... 

Maybe you should actually read back your own posts, they are ridiculous, and not needed. Obviously you simply cannot handle anyone having a different opinion to yourself. 

No doubt it was a drinking alone day....

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, maxjak said:

My God....you do go on?   PS  If you are ever lacking a definition, may i recommend Google?  PS  To save you the trouble, Bhagwan is a Hindu term meaning all knowing Lord   PPS.  I can safely say with my hand on my heart, that No i would not be furious, as that would be an over reaction.......rather similar to the referee's

Thanks for enlightening me. 
I was thinking it was gonna be related to the Rastafarian term for What’s Going On but you’ve ‘learned’ me ?

By the way, Hindu, Rasta or Martian, I’m still right and you’re wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

45 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Let people on TalkSport or in the pub say what they want. We know what we’ve seen. I’m wholeheartedly with Pearson on this.

I'm not about threatening to quit the game. That's complete nonsense.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Unfair, on a good week on Match of the Day he is remarkably, um, dull and uninformative. A master of stating the bleeding obvious in fact.

Only a true expert could come up with insight like "He should have scored there Gary."

Imagine him and Michael Owen together.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

If anyone saw the O'nien (Sunderland) challenge tonight, you'll fully agree with Nige's statements about the standard of refereeing. 

Shambolic. 

He’s a dirty bastard, haven’t seen tonight’s challenge, but he is one who goes over the top of the ball.

• Flames 1

10 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Garth Crooks!!!!

Imo the worst pundit ever to be on TV

That was until Lianne Sanderson managed to tick all PC boxes and get herself on the box 

I get so angry looking at his team of the week every Monday. He just picks 10 players that scored, and shoehorns them into the most ridiculous XI imaginable. If a centre-half scores, then proceeds to do nothing in defense for 90 minutes, he's in. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Garth Crooks!!!!

Imo the worst pundit ever to be on TV

Every week at BBC Sport Online, usually after extensive badgering, Crooks would submit a feature called "Garth Crooks' Team of the Week": the 11 best-performing players in the Prem.  It was not infrequent for these teams to feature players who had not played that week, were injured, or in one case - had left the club and country. You'd put in your own choices in those cases, to save GC embarrassment.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

I get so angry looking at his team of the week every Monday. He just picks 10 players that scored, and shoehorns them into the most ridiculous XI imaginable. If a centre-half scores, then proceeds to do nothing in defense for 90 minutes, he's in. 

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Every week at BBC Sport Online, usually after extensive badgering, Crooks would submit a feature called "Garth Crooks' Team of the Week": the 11 best-performing players in the Prem.  It was not infrequent for these teams to feature players who had not played that week, were injured, or in one case - had left the club and country. You'd put in your own choices in those cases, to save GC embarrassment.

There was usually a comment about Paul Pogba's hair in there somewhere too.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It was dreadful stuff. If ever work was "phoned in", that was it.  Judging by Gav's comment, it still is.

On that subject, I recall a journalist friend of mine telling me that it was fairly common knowledge that Alan Hansen's Telegraph column often was "phoned in" literally, usually from the golf course or the clubhouse after his round. Occasionally if they got hold of him after he'd had a few drinks, the person in charge of transcribing it would pretty much have to make it up themselves as they couldn't get much sense out of him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

What, you think they are now likely to punish us by not giving decisions in our favour?

Do you seriously think they are that unprofessional?

It shouldn't make a damn bit of difference and if it did then Nige is absolutely correct in what he said... 

I support him and his comments, standing up for his players and the club.

Will we be able to even notice this....?!?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Even now he thinks the Newcastle player is called “Joel Linton” (I’m not making that up either).

It is one of those names though like "Lucatoni", that has you wondering what's so special about them that the commentator is using their full name. :)