IGNORED

Local Non League Thread 2022-23

Silvio Dante

Had a wander down to Crownfield for Key's game against Torpoint. Given the home side's well-documented tale of woe, it was good to see young players having a go. The forwards looked lively but the defending was all at sea. Final score: Keynsham 3-6 Torpoint.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

All eyes on Hendon. Their game at Hanwell was postponed today due to a waterlogged pitch. Fixtures have to be completed by a week Saturday so they have 5 games in the next 12 days. Weston and Poole in the top six amongst them, two games still to be arranged (Gosport and Hanwell)

Yate need to win both games and hope that Hendon take no more than 2 points from those 5.

(This assumes North Leigh/Hartley Witney and Harrow don’t pull ahead)

Its still not happening but there’s the faintest glimmer…

7A3900B5-E4A2-48AC-AD44-DA3F3ABEEFC7.jpeg

I read on a social media page, that there is a rumour that only 2 are going down this season. 

Haven't a clue whether their is any basis to it. 

9 hours ago, spudski said:

I read on a social media page, that there is a rumour that only 2 are going down this season. 

Haven't a clue whether their is any basis to it. 

A mate of mine went up on the bus to Merthyr yesterday with the team and there was similar chatter on there. Seems to be a feeling that some of the clubs in the frame for promotion can’t support the higher level financially so will turn it down - Yate targeting as many points as possible but hope fourth bottom might be enough.

Definite precedent here - last season Walton Casuals of Southern Prem folded which saved Merthyr.

If I wasn’t going to Watford Saturday I’d be  all over Lodge Road. Massive game.

• Thanks 1

On 08/04/2023 at 22:59, Kid in the Riot said:

Great win for Taunton at Bath yesterday. Bath's resources must be far greater than Taunton's. Rob "Dr" Dray doing a fantastic job, all considered. 

I went to Larkhall Athletic today. Beautiful ground overlooking Bath. 0-0 but an entertaining game with plenty of chances and a couple of sendings off! 

I was at this game too, Kid, decent summary of the match there. City under 21 keeper Josey Casa-Grande played well for the Larks, I thought. 

Couple of the Lymington players looked to be spoiling for a fight most of the game - the 5 should have gone too and the 7 should have got a yellow for his imaginary card waving at the ref before he eventually saw red for a poor tackle. 

Like Larkhall's ground, quirky. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, petehinton said:

That’s Yeovil down

Yep, not mathematically but Lazarus himself would be proud of this comeback if we stayed up.

The unedifying sight later in the evening of Mark Cooper calling out the prospective owner in his post match interview, the owner replying on Twitter denying all of it and naming half a dozen players he'd suggested but got turned down by Cooper. Tweet thread then gets deleted after drink finished (I guess) but obviously many people have screenshotted it.

Bad times to be a YTFC fan. 

• Like 2

• Admin

Truro vs Bracknell has been postponed this evening due to a waterlogged pitch

Crazy backlog on the horizon now 

For those that don't know Truro play at Plymouth Parkways ground, these are the games currently scheduled for there, I will be amazed if all the games below go ahead 

Saturday 15th : Truro v MET Police

Sunday 16th :

Monday 17th : Truro v Bracknell 

Tuesday 18th :  Plymouth v Winchester 

Wednesday 19th :  Truro v Salisbury 

Thursday 20th : Plymouth v North Leigh 

Friday 21st

Saturday 22nd : Plymouth v Bracknell 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

For those that don't know Truro play at Plymouth Parkways ground, these are the games currently scheduled for there, I will be amazed if all the games below go ahead 

Sunday 16th :

Friday 21st

You’ve reminded me to check at the other end - Hendon, who Yate need to catch (absent resignations etc) have just had their list confirmed. 5 games in 10 days - four on the road and Poole at home. I would imagine they may not be full strength for every game…

C781D2C8-279D-45EB-A029-E4311D704C8B.jpeg

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Sunday 16th :

Friday 21st

I`m not at all surprised tonight`s game`s off, it`s been lashing it down here and blowing a hoolie all day. That said, the forecast for tomorrow onwards is for much better weather and warming up considerably.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Sunday 16th :

Friday 21st

Truro ever going to get their own ground? Seem to remember a stadium was on the cards for them and Cornish Pirates .

Who's putting the money in ? They get crowds of 150 at Parkway  with the hosts getting triple that.

Hard to see how that's sustainable.

On a side note Totton who are coming up to the Premier league this season are getting over 1,000 ever home game.

Some crowd that at the level.

Off to Bradford Town tonight for Thornbury Town's last game of the season.

Thornbury need a win to secure their Hellenic Premier status, and bottom-of-the-league Bradford absolutely have to win if they want a chance of staying up (they still have two games left after tonight).

Big game. 

image.png.ae34a0f693e8c20848954e7c97b57420.png

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Off to Bradford Town tonight for Thornbury Town's last game of the season.

Thornbury need a win to secure their Hellenic Premier status, and bottom-of-the-league Bradford absolutely have to win if they want a chance of staying up (they still have two games left after tonight).

Big game. 

image.png.ae34a0f693e8c20848954e7c97b57420.png

Another defeat for Chipping Sodbury tonight - 5-1 at home, after a 10-0 defeat to Cribbs recently, they really are a bad side.

In Southern Prem, Hendon drew 1-1 with Hanwell. Yate now need to win both games and hope Hendon get no more than 1 point from the last 4.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Another defeat for Chipping Sodbury tonight - 5-1 at home, after a 10-0 defeat to Cribbs recently, they really are a bad side.

In Southern Prem, Hendon drew 1-1 with Hanwell. Yate now need to win both games and hope Hendon get no more than 1 point from the last 4.

A comfortable win for Thornbury this evening, running out 3 nil winners, and it could've been more. Bradford looked a poor side too; they could've been there all night and not scored. 

Thornbury have come back brilliantly after losing 9 of their opening 10 games. They're safe from relegation now. 

A fine win for Taunton this evening too, at second placed Dartford. They too are comfortably safe from relegation. 

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

A fine win for Taunton this evening too, at second placed Dartford. They too are comfortably safe from relegation. 

Indeed, and they could even finish above Bath City.

Hungerford will be kicking themselves, losing away to the bottom team.

A win there would have given them some hope of avoiding relegation.

A great shame for their Rovers loanees.

On 10/04/2023 at 16:46, spudski said:

Yate 2-1 up at Merthyr ? can they do the unimaginable!!!

Interesting fact about Merthyr. The only time the club managed to defeat a Football League club in the FA Cup was in the first round of the 1946–47 cup, when they beat Bristol Rovers 3–1.

You know what that means in gaslogic :)

• Thanks 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Strange to think Taunton v Yeovil will be a league game next season given both clubs` history over the last twenty years or so.

Basically gone full circle back to old Southern league days

• Like 2

• Admin
2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Yate got relegated today with this penalty not given at 1-1

Fantastic save from their defender from a bullet header

Screenshot_20230415-180443_Chrome.jpg

Sadly for Yate the damage was done a long time before today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Basically gone full circle back to old Southern league days

If Torquay go down, the Conf South is right old West Country mini-league, with Bath and Chippenham as well as Yeovil.  Shame Weymouth look doomed, as that would've added to it.   I believe I'm right in saying Weston could go up though?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

If Torquay go down, the Conf South is right old West Country mini-league, with Bath and Chippenham as well as Yeovil.  Shame Weymouth look doomed, as that would've added to it.   I believe I'm right in saying Weston could go up though?

Don`t forget the mighty Taunton Town!

• Like 3

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Top with two games to play.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Yate got relegated today with this penalty not given at 1-1

Fantastic save from their defender from a bullet header

Screenshot_20230415-180443_Chrome.jpg

I was there today as well. Yate were unlucky to lose. Poor defending and goalkeeping as usual, but the offside and penalty shouts were poor by the officials. A draw would have been fair. 

I heard again that two teams might not come up, and another has three weeks to build a stand or not in league. 

So Yate might survive by default. 

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

What`s the deal below top? Playoffs or just go again next season?

2nd to 5th inclusive go into a play off with the winner promoted along with the team finishing 1st

I have copied the next part as it explains it better than me... 

Two teams from the Northern Premier League and two teams from the Southern League Central Division will be promoted to the National League North, while two teams from the Southern League South Division and two teams from the Isthmian League Premier Division will be promoted to the National League South. So that's four teams in total.

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/English-Footballs-Pyramids-Promotion-Relegation-how-deep-does-it-go

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Admin
7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I was there today as well. Yate were unlucky to lose. Poor defending and goalkeeping as usual, but the offside and penalty shouts were poor by the officials. A draw would have been fair. 

I heard again that two teams might not come up, and another has three weeks to build a stand or not in league. 

So Yate might survive by default. 

The key is Yate need to get up as high in the league as possible just in case not all sides go down 

Weston survived relegation from the Conference South for a few seasons due to the poor standard of facilities of sides finishing in the promotion places 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Don`t forget the mighty Taunton Town!

My bad. 

I've, for my sins, been an occasional visitor to Twerton Park. It's the nearest decent level non-league ground for me.

Must catch a derby game next season. Maybe Bath v Taunton. 

• Admin
Just now, Red-Robbo said:

My bad. 

I've, for my sins, been an occasional visitor to Twerton Park. It's the nearest decent level non-league ground for me.

Must catch a derby game next season. Maybe Bath v Taunton. 

Potentially you could be spoilt for choice with the number of local sides next year 

I wonder if Gloucester and Hereford would be tempted to switch leagues? 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

2nd to 5th inclusive go into a play off with the winner promoted along with the team finishing 1st

I have copied the next part as it explains it better than me... 

Two teams from the Northern Premier League and two teams from the Southern League Central Division will be promoted to the National League North, while two teams from the Southern League South Division and two teams from the Isthmian League Premier Division will be promoted to the National League South. So that's four teams in total.

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/English-Footballs-Pyramids-Promotion-Relegation-how-deep-does-it-go

Still a good chance for Truro too then?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Despite their run now they have key players fit, of Torquay's last 3 games only the one against Altrincham looks winnable. Whether that's enough I don't know.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Despite their run now they have key players fit, of Torquay's last 3 games only the one against Altrincham looks winnable. Whether that's enough I don't know.

Exactly. They really need to win the last three to make up a two point disadvantage. That's the conventional wisdom at this stage of the season.

Feel sorry for my Gull-supporting mate, but he says it's all about money. When they failed to get through their play-off against Hartlepool in 2021 they'd shot their bolt, lost the most important players and cash dried up to replace them.  Being in Devon, they get fewer League club loanees than some other NL clubs as well. 

• Like 2

• Admin
31 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Still a good chance for Truro too then?

Yeah 

Host second place Bracknell Monday night, Truro win basically hands Weston the title too

Truro need the points to get home semi second leg 

40 minutes ago, forbespm said:

Gloucester city still in play off place but dropped points in a 1-1 draw with alfreton

Not too bad a result, stopped Alfreton gaining ground on them

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Screenshot_20230415_192922_Flashscore.jpg

Screenshot_20230415_192911_Flashscore.jpg

York V Aldershot could be the biggest game, could certainly decide which team Torquay might catch. Maidenhead have two games Barnet and Gateshead, which must give them a chance of at least one point.

Screenshot_2023-04-15-19-35-32-29_4e3a4e884d35a3e473eec66b07ef8cea.jpg

Hertfordshire as opposed to Yate for me today so missed the last knockings. Seen a lot of reports bemoaning the officials but praising the performance, and the photo is damning on the handball (but I’m also not sure the club should be sharing it).

Ultimately it’s not a one day decision here that’s killed them. It’s colossal mismanagement after Michael left through Beadle then carried on by JR. Staying up by default would be quite unjust considering how bad the team have been for most of 40 games.

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

York V Aldershot could be the biggest game, could certainly decide which team Torquay might catch. Maidenhead have two games Barnet and Gateshead, which must give them a chance of at least one point.

Screenshot_2023-04-15-19-35-32-29_4e3a4e884d35a3e473eec66b07ef8cea.jpg

Yes, Yeovil are well f****d...............oh dear, how sad never mind !

Having recently moved to Worle I’m looking to go to a few Weston matches. The only thing that has stopped me so far is that I live up by Morrisons so it’s either a 3 mile ish walk each way or the number 7 scenic bus tour via all hamlets. Does any body have any hacks in terms of quicker ways of getting there please? I could drive of course but was hoping to have a beer so that would be last option. Are there any short cuts that people know of?

• Admin
13 hours ago, GreedyHarry said:

Having recently moved to Worle I’m looking to go to a few Weston matches. The only thing that has stopped me so far is that I live up by Morrisons so it’s either a 3 mile ish walk each way or the number 7 scenic bus tour via all hamlets. Does any body have any hacks in terms of quicker ways of getting there please? I could drive of course but was hoping to have a beer so that would be last option. Are there any short cuts that people know of?

If you are going to walk, cut through Haywood Village by the helicopter museum

Otherwise you would be better getting one of the buses direct to town and change from there

• Thanks 1

On 15/04/2023 at 18:40, phantom said:

Potentially you could be spoilt for choice with the number of local sides next year 

I wonder if Gloucester and Hereford would be tempted to switch leagues? 

Gloucester and Hereford won't necessarily get a choice. It will depend on the teams to be promoted, particularly teams from the Midlands. Gloucester were only placed in the North originally due to a promise made to Worcester City to keep them in the South. Subsequently of course Worcester's financial plight saw them take voluntary relegation to a Midlands league but Gloucester have stayed put. 

Would be good to see Weston back in the Conference South next season and the attendances of over 1000 continuing. Weston has a population of 80,000 compared to 50,000 in Yeovil so there's a chance of it. 

1 minute ago, Nugget said:

If Weston go up and Torquay and Yeovil come down, they'll be in the same league next Season, unless i'm missing a league out?!

Yes they will. Same as Bath, Chippenham and Taunton too. 

And…..David Noble’s St Albans, if they don’t go up!

• Like 1