IGNORED

Blackpool away match thread

Jerseybean

It’s not going to be dull this season it looks like.

It's a really good finish for their third, but gave him the chance. Twice behind, no doubt we would have lost more often than not last year from there. Some luck with our third as well.

Disappointing of course how it ended. Still led every match.

Disappointing finish BUT entertaining exciting football from City, 3 goals scored, and an away point.

I'll take this new City, transformation almost done and when we tighten up defensively we're not only going to be exhilarating to watch, we're going to be unstoppable!

Meanwhile no point getting stressed - savour a City side that scores a lot of goals and the almost certain knowledge we're going be just fine this season.

• Like 11
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, Mr Hankey said:

Absolute zero if we would win the game. Lets not gloss over the fact it was an absolute shit show at the back of that defence all game long…..the one constant in that back line over the past 3 years has been Vyner & its never improved.

I've not been a fan, but he is playing well this season, and until Kalas comes back, there really aren't many alternatives. Basic fact he shouldn't have got the ball in that position, facing the goal, a weak pass and someone pressing on him, always on a loser.

Just watched the replay, King had much more time to put his foot on the ball and have a look, instead played the first time ball back to Naismith who simply should have launched it.

8 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

We just stopped playing and pressing when it went 2-3, surely against Blackpool especially the best form of defence would have been to continue attacking and maybe get a 4th.

That's been our Achilles heel since well before Pearson's time here. Dropping ever deeper just puts us under more pressure and this is only aggregated if we then try and pass in dangerous areas rather than putting it into row z!

Just seen the equaliser again. Naismith plays it sideways in front of Vyner, who is being closed down by Corbeneau. Vyner tries to touch forward, but Corbeneau robs him and powers past and hooks over Bents. Poor ball from Naismith, because there was absolutely no danger. He could have put his foot on the ball, turned and cleared easily.

• Like 1

Let’s not forget Blackpool’s part in this. They did the same to Burnley last weekend. Your classic resilient, workmanlike team who will never say die. Not every team will be so hard to knock the stuffing out of. 

And if we were to play them in two weeks time without the exceptional Bowler we win that game. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’m not scapegoating Naismith, but how many times has he either put us in trouble or got away with it by the skin of his teeth so far?  He’s clearly a very good footballer and does some exceptional things but he has taken some outrageous risks at the back and, as I said after one of the last two home games, he needs to cut out the costly mistakes.

Perhaps he thinks the players around him are better than they actualy are

String of poor decisions leading up to their goal. A few poor decisions from when we took the lead from what I could see from the likes of Williams, Dasilva, James, King etc. These are the experienced pros with multiple seasons of experience at this level - it's very disappointing that some of them don't pull their weight as much as the likes of Conway, Semenyo, Scott. Of course the three of them will go on to play at a higher level if they continue the way they are but you expect a bit more solidity from the senior pros

Its not 7-0 to us, its 3-2. Sloppy passes in our defence area are more than forbidden. As a young kid we learned that. Dont know What to say, its moore than bad. When we play like that we dont deserved to win. I dont get angry when we miss good chances, but misstakes like that in defence Im not sorry Im angry. Anyway COYR 

• Robin 1

5 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

It Naismith played the ball then that’s two BAD errors in 4 league games 

Yes, but KIng could have put his foot on the ball and used the ball instead of passing back. He's as much to blame as Naismith, for giving Vyner a hospital pass.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Disappointing finish BUT entertaining exciting football from City, 3 goals scored, and an away point.

I'll take this new City, transformation almost done and when we tighten up defensively we're not only going to be exhilarating to watch, we're going to be unstoppable!

Meanwhile no point getting stressed - savour a City side that scores a lot of goals and the almost certain knowledge we're going be just fine this season.

Dont forget we were abject and humiliated at Blackpool only a few months ago. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The turtle said:

Just doesn't do it justice ..... It starts from not long after we get the ball out wide ...

At first it's a nice keeping the ball. Then the ultimate self-inflicted goal nonsense 

I literally shouted forward when we had it on the halfway line, after that seemed like slow motion knowing what was going to happen 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cellist said:

String of poor decisions leading up to their goal. A few poor decisions from when we took the lead from what I could see from the likes of Williams, Dasilva, James, King etc. These are the experienced pros with multiple seasons of experience at this level - it's very disappointing that some of them don't pull their weight as much as the likes of Conway, Semenyo, Scott. Of course the three of them will go on to play at a higher level if they continue the way they are but you expect a bit more solidity from the senior pros

Yes, but what a goal from Tommy, and what a goal from Antoine.

May be just me but I can't help but be really positive about this City team.

We're not quite there yet but entertainment and goals at last, and any away point in the Championship is hard won.

• Like 16

9 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Pearson said midweek we are light in midfield. 

Well, given he plays our best and hugely highly rated midfielder at right back, and plays our next best and highly rated midfielder for only a half, to finish the game with 3 old and slow slugs, it’s no wonder we’re light in midfield. 

I missed the first half - why was Massengo taken off? Injury?

Wondering if Pearson could have done anything differently with the subs. Obviously a good call to bring Semenyo on when he did. You can point to Weimann playing at RWB for a while instead of Wilson but would it have made a difference to the goal? Maybe bringing Klose on for Vyner to see things out (but we brought King on to see things out, and look how that went)

2 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I literally shouted forward when we had it on the halfway line, after that seemed like slow motion knowing what was going to happen 

Same! So what beats me is why on earth professional footballers weren't thinking the same...or shouting the same at each other?

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Yes, but KIng could have put his foot on the ball and used the ball instead of passing back. He's as much to blame as Naismith, for giving Vyner a hospital pass.

That decision didn't cost us the goal did it?  The decision to pass to a team mate and put him under severe pressure rather than sticking the ball up the other end of the pitch was the issue.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Selred said:

Undefeated in 6. Joint top scorers in the league. Yes frustrating to throw the lead away, but lots to be positive about. Huddersfield mid week, let’s get a result against them and continue progressing.

Yeah, I'm gutted that we're 9th and not 4th which I guess isn't a bad situation 

Just now, Southport Red said:

Dont forget we were abject and humiliated at Blackpool only a few months ago. 

That's one of the positives to take, although collectively they need to work of their 2nd ball defending in the box, 2 of their goals and the majority of the panic came from them winning the first header and then not being competitive enough for or not being able to anticipate the next ball.

Chalk and cheese performance comparing the 2 games though.

Usually quite positive. However;

Too many 5/10 performances today. Lazy and wasteful in possession and it's cost us. Weimann missing much of the game, possibly the knock.

Didn't think much of Blackpool to be honest. They were there for the taking in spells.

Naismith pass put Vyner in trouble, never mind the touch he took was the worst possible he could have taken in that scenario, the latter was literally something you'd see in park football. Shocking. Then gets outpaced and out muscled. Unfortunate as it's undone all the positives I thought he achieved at Cardiff.

Atkinson must improve or he risks losing his place. Thought he was very poor today.

Conway my man of the match, Semenyo, Wells, and Williams did well. Naismith one of the best on the pitch until their third.

DaSilva, Scott, Massengo - on balance all did OK.

Atkinson, Vyner, Bents, Weimann, all pretty poor compared, to at least, their individual standards and what we know they can do.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well, given he plays our best and hugely highly rated midfielder at right back, and plays our next best and highly rated midfielder for only a half, to finish the game with 3 old and slow slugs, it’s no wonder we’re light in midfield. 

We’re still light though Harry 

21 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I'm baffled as to how to fix it. It doesn't seem to matter who the personnel are it's still groundhog day.

Easy to fix. Stop ******* about with the ball back there with 4 minutes left . Hit the channels , turn them around to face their own goal & see the game out 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, cellist said:

I missed the first half - why was Massengo taken off? Injury?

Wondering if Pearson could have done anything differently with the subs. Obviously a good call to bring Semenyo on when he did. You can point to Weimann playing at RWB for a while instead of Wilson but would it have made a difference to the goal? Maybe bringing Klose on for Vyner to see things out (but we brought King on to see things out, and look how that went)

Klose wasn't on the bench to be fair. Nothing NP could really change to counter their balls into the box. No idea if it's a knock, injury etc.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I really don’t get continually playing Scott at right back has to play in midfield for me

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

King had much more time to put his foot on the ball and have a look, instead played the first time ball back to Naismith who simply should have launched it.

Yep, King had space to move it forward. Poor from both our senior players who are there to help manage the game. If we could get rid of these crazy mistakes we have the makings of a very decent team. Short of a strong midfield ball winner and no nonsense CB. The others are decent players but we lack that mental steel and game management from those type of players. Decent result though against a really awkward team, just disappointing not to get 3 points as we looked the better footballing side. Let’s get at Huddersfield and get 3 points on Wednesday. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

That decision didn't cost us the goal did it?  The decision to pass to a team mate and put him under severe pressure rather than sticking the ball up the other end of the pitch was the issue.

That's what I said, use the ball, which King could have done by passing forward, instead he decides to pass back to Naismith who puts Vyner under pressure straightaway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Easy to fix. Stop ******* about with the ball back there with 4 minutes left . Hit the channels , turn them around to face their own goal & see the game out 

Simple game really, we have to realise we're not Man City, knock it through for Semenyo and Wells to run on to. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Yes, I blame King more, should have known better!

I didn't see King do anything wrong, decent pass to Naismith who made an horrendous decision to give Vyner a pass which was never on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Yes from the moment of Kings pass

If he could see why the heck couldn't the players

Pump it into Row Z FFS ideally behind their goal

That's why Owers was a good midfield player, it all about putting the ball in the right area at the right time.

2 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

That's what I said, use the ball, which King could have done by passing forward, instead he decides to pass back to Naismith who puts Vyner under pressure straightaway.

King did nothing wrong imo.

All down to Naismiths wayward pass and Vyners weakness.

Just now, bcfc01 said:

I didn't see King do anything wrong, decent pass to Naismith who made an horrendous decision to give Vyner a pass which was never on.

But again, why put the ball back when he could have played the ball forward and given Blackpool something to think about. Instead there sub had an easy chance to equalise which he took.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

In this instance yes but for a very long time we have been making individual errors giving away goals, especially late ones, regardless of who plays.

It is now deep in the psyche. We expect it to happen and it must play on the players' minds, which in turn makes it more likely to happen and on and on it goes.

1 minute ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

But again, why put the ball back when he could have played the ball forward and given Blackpool something to think about. Instead there sub had an easy chance to equalise which he took.

Play a simple ball back with no danger, for them to press and for Naismith to boot it up the pitch giving us a bit more space, in no way is it King's fault, he could have done better to get back to clear it off the line I would agree, but giving it to Naismith who was free is not his fault imo.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

King did nothing wrong imo.

All down to Naismiths wayward pass and Vyners weakness.

Vyner should never of received the ball . Naismith got to clear that up the pitch . We made some poor decisions back there today . The first , massengo lost his man . The second , Atkinson gives the ball away which leads to the corner which we don’t defend . A bug bear of mine being zonal marking . 

Just now, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Sorry, but there was no need to go back! Where was the pressure on King?

Agree, King had plenty of time & space to move forward with the ball and hit it down the channel for Semenyo to chase, no need to pass back to Naismith. With his experience he should know this. Also surely King could have attempted to hook the shot off the line, it was like he left it thinking it was going wide.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

In this instance yes but for a very long time we have been making individual errors giving away goals, especially late ones, regardless of who plays.

It is now deep in the psyche. We expect it to happen and it must play on the players' minds, which in turn makes it more likely to happen and on and on it goes.

I agree but its usually a team on top of us trying to get back into the game. We were in total control of this . Frustrating as hell 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

I really don’t get continually playing Scott at right back has to play in midfield for me

Despite signing Tanner and Wilson he apparently doesn't trust them yet. Expect Sykes to be back at RWB against Huddersfield.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Play a simple ball back with no danger, for them to press and for Naismith to boot it up the pitch giving us a bit more space, in no way is it King's fault, he could have done better to get back to clear it off the line I would agree, but giving it to Naismith who was free is not his fault imo.

King started it tbh. Ball played in midfield, all ******* day to turn and launch the ball FORWARDS and he goes back to Naismith. After that it was a total **** up. Pearson will be fuming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

It's to save the team. 

You would take the red, if it meant securing the 3 points for the team. 

True, but he would have conceded a penalty and they're still likely to score. Cornebeau had plenty of work to do and you have to commend his efforts. Great finish.

1 minute ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

The replays show that he was in loads of space, a player with his experience could and should have had a look around, kill some time then lay it off. The pass to Naismith might have been on, but it was the wrong option. King's been kept and in this case brought on to shore things up and close the game down with experience, this means miking the right decisions at the right times.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Blackpool goal: https://streamja.com/0ONb6

??? The more you watch that back you realise Kings opened his body up and let the ball go across him into the net. 

He's not even attempted to clear it. 

If he thinks it's going wide, then his judgement and awareness is totally all over the shop, not just in that situation, but the suicide ball previously in the build up. 

I watched the game, but can't remember whether he had warmed up or came on cold off the bench.

Either way...shocking errors of judgement that ruined a positive performance.

• Like 1

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

I agree but its usually a team on top of us trying to get back into the game. We were in total control of this . Frustrating as hell 

Nigel said last week that we are not a team that can sit back and absorb pressure. So why do we do exactly that so often?

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Vyner should never of received the ball . Naismith got to clear that up the pitch . We made some poor decisions back there today . The first , massengo lost his man . The second , Atkinson gives the ball away which leads to the corner which we don’t defend . A bug bear of mine being zonal marking . 

Yes, not a fan of zonal marking, I don't think it has improved us at all.

1 minute ago, Curr Avon said:

True, but he would have conceded a penalty and they're still likely to score. Cornebeau had plenty of work to do and you have to commend his efforts. Great finish.

The should-to-shoulder contact was outside of the box. Vyner got out-muscled and gave his opponent a yard. 

• Like 1