IGNORED

Only in Swindon

Mrdc

20 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

XTC are all Swindon.

But yes, as @Shaun Taylor says there is no basis for Swindon becoming a city.

I saw them at Gold diggers in Chippenham donkeys years ago and remember them saying how good it was to be home. Maybe that's why I thought they were from Chippenham.

Suddenly gone off XTC. Nigel can stick his plans right up his Seargent Rock. ;)

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I saw them at Gold diggers in Chippenham donkeys years ago and remember them saying how good it was to be home. Maybe that's why I thought they were from Chippenham.

Suddenly gone off XTC. Nigel can stick his plans right up his Seargent Rock. ;)

If it makes you feel any better, Andy Partridge was born in Malta.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, 77 punk said:

xtc were from swindon, andy partridge is a musical genius

I used to enjoy a drink or two with Andy Partridge before Covid, up at our local Spanish Tapas bar here in Old town - he was a regular in there - as I was too! 

Other musical artists from Swindon include Gilbert O'Sullivan and Justin Hayward (Moody Blues). I think I read somewhere that Supertramp also have a Swindon connection, but I may be wrong....

- Nick Hewer (Countdown) is from here.

- The Lord Chancellor is our local MP (not proud of that one!)
- The Supermarine Spitfire was built here
- The NHS - Swindon was the birthplace of that rather critical service
- Mondex - sadly way ahead of it's time - but today we pay for almost everything electronically.
- The UK Space Agency HQ is here

Yes, but apart from all that what did the Romans ever do for us...............? ?

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
Add words
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I

Interested in that claim?  What's its basis?

I thought the NHS was originally posited by a Liverpool-based pressure group before WW1, a sort of mini-NHS ran in the South Wales valleys  from the 1920s, the Labour Party made it a policy aim nationwide in 1934 and it was popularised by a book by Scottish author AJ Cronin. 

26 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Interested in that claim?  What's its basis?

I thought the NHS was originally posited by a Liverpool-based pressure group before WW1, a sort of mini-NHS ran in the South Wales valleys  from the 1920s, the Labour Party made it a policy aim nationwide in 1934 and it was popularised by a book by Scottish author AJ Cronin. 

Here you go:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-44506181.amp

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I used to enjoy a drink or two with Andy Partridge before Covid, up at our local Spanish Tapas bar here in Old town - he was a regular in there - as I was too! 

Other musical artists from Swindon include Gilbert O'Sullivan and Justin Hayward (Moody Blues). I think I read somewhere that Supertramp also have a Swindon connection, but I may be wrong....

- Nick Hewer (Countdown) is from here.

- The Lord Chancellor is our local MP (not proud of that one!)
- The Supermarine Spitfire was built here
- Mondex - sadly way ahead of it's time - but today we pay for almost everything electronically.
- The UK Space Agency HQ is here

Yes, but apart from all that what did the Romans ever do for us...............? ?

Aneurin Bevan launched the NHS from Park Hospital, Manchester. 

55 minutes ago, 42nite said:

I guess we all have our cross to bear.... I'll make an exception just for you.  ?

... and I'm not FROM Swindon - I've just lived here for 24 years!!

I'm from Dundry actually - then Bishopsworth when I got married - then Swindon for work.

On 27/06/2021 at 11:37, RedRaw said:

Billie Piper, Melinda Messsenger, Mark Lamarr……..it’s a cultural hotbed

Never thought much of Billie Piper until I met her in a pub in Camden. She's absolutely gorgeous.

20 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

XTC are all Swindon.

But yes, as @Shaun Taylor says there is no basis for Swindon becoming a city.

Nope! First 2 albums had Barry Andrews, from London, in the band. He left and was replaced by Dave Gregory just in time for Drums And Wires. Making Plans For Nigel is on Side 1. 

4 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Nope! First 2 albums had Barry Andrews, from London, in the band. He left and was replaced by Dave Gregory just in time for Drums And Wires. Making Plans For Nigel is on Side 1. 

Well yes technically.  Though he had been living in Swindon for a few years prior to his joining XTC.

Jonathon Perkins was on keyboards prior to Barry Andrews; I saw his band Miss World at The Marquee in the early 90s and they were excellent.  There is very little of them recorded with this the most representative of their live act.

This was a great song and they did an excellent cover of What a Wonderful World.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/06/2021 at 16:49, Shaun Taylor said:

Yes well spotted! re-sign ?

And then immediately resign?

Wonder if you can lay a bet on that?

On 27/06/2021 at 10:29, Eddie Hitler said:

The birthplace of GWR, XTC is from there. Um, can't think of anything else.

Melinda Messenger

29 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

So no management team in place. No players, and now no pre season training.

Reminds me of Blackpool a few seasons ago.

Not surprised it's a shit show, they can't even get their badge right......................I mean WHY would a tank engine have a tender ?:shocking:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Not surprised it's a shit show, they can't even get their badge right......................I mean WHY would a tank engine have a tender ?:shocking:

I’m surprised @Never to the dark side hadn’t commented on that 

Edit - he has, 4 minutes before I posted this 

Edited by pongo88

46 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Really, NTTDS, every one knows tank engines don't have tenders, that bit sticking out the back of the cab is a coal bunker !

Thomas The Tank engine and his new best friend Loveme.

Tender.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I'll still support them though and it's better to have history than be like a MK Plastic or even a Gas!

And so you should mate, you've won the league Cup been in the Premier league. You played some good stuff back in the day under macarri, ossie and hoddle.

1 minute ago, Elruliri said:

And so you should mate, you've won the league Cup been in the Premier league. You played some good stuff back in the day under macarri, ossie and hoddle.

First and foremost most of all I'm a football supporter who doesn't want to see any club fold and have supported them since the mid 70's so they've been a large part of my life. I've been to numerous Swindon v Bristol City games both home and away and love the rivalry, banter and Derby experience and have had many good days at Ashton Gate when you were in the old league one 76-80. 

I get why many would want us out of the football league but I'm sure many older BCFC fans have their own memories and stories to tell after games against us as there's always been an edge without the hostility of say a Cardiff City. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

First and foremost most of all I'm a football supporter who doesn't want to see any club fold and have supported them since the mid 70's so they've been a large part of my life. I've been to numerous Swindon v Bristol City games both home and away and love the rivalry, banter and Derby experience and have had many good days at Ashton Gate when you were in the old league one 76-80. 

I get why many would want us out of the football league but I'm sure many older BCFC fans have their own memories and stories to tell after games against us as there's always been an edge without the hostility of say a Cardiff City. 

One of my earliest memories was of Glynn Riley scoring a equaliser at the County ground. I was stood at the front when he jumped onto the fencing, I joked with him many years later that he nearly killed me.

I also recall a 1-0 win with Junior " can't hit a cows arse with a banjo" Bent scoring.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

One of my earliest memories was of Glynn Riley scoring a equaliser at the County ground. I was stood at the front when he jumped onto the fencing, I joked with him many years later that he nearly killed me.

I also recall a 1-0 win with Junior " can't hit a cows arse with a banjo" Bent scoring.

Junior Bent now that's an old name I haven't heard for years super quick but like a lot of small pacey wingers often fail to deliver a decent cross into the box

Edited by Shaun Taylor
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

Where there's blame, there's a claim.

Try for at least £1M. Possibly more to compensate for all those years of PTSD.

If you succeed, you can buy me a Glynn & tonic.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I hate you C**** with a passion! 

But..... I wouldn't wanna see you or any club go out of business, Its just not right! Some of my best mates are Swindle fans and I wouldn't wanna see them with a void in their lives. I enjoy it too much to see you gone..... so do us all a favour, get relegated about 3 leagues but don't disappear anytime soon! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Where there's blame, there's a claim.

Try for at least £1M. Possibly more to compensate for all those years of PTSD.

If you succeed, you can buy me a Glynn & tonic.

I like your thinking lols, I should still get a million for watching City for 40 odd years, like many others. Coyrs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

I hate you C**** with a passion! 

But..... I wouldn't wanna see you or any club go out of business, Its just not right! Some of my best mates are Swindle fans and I wouldn't wanna see them with a void in their lives. I enjoy it too much to see you gone..... so do us all a favour, get relegated about 3 leagues but don't disappear anytime soon! 

3 leagues we're be lower than Swindon Supermarine! I know you hate us but you can't deny you enjoy the fun when you play us so surely you wouldn't want that experience gone forever!

9 minutes ago, Banned User said:

The problem with Powers statement it dosen't say what's caused the delay and why the money hasn't been transferred and what potential skeletons Clems Lawyers may have found during their due diligence.

Edited by Shaun Taylor

3 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

As a newbie to this could someone do me an ELI5 ( explain like I'm five)?

Which doesn't literally mean like I'm a five year old but give me a brief precis...?

This looks to be the stereotypical game that happens when a cash-strapped seller of a club wants to receive top dollar but the buyer wants to pay the absolute minimum and it is therefore in their interest to hold back until the club is placed into administration.

The current owner looks to be running out of funds, players and staff were not paid last month, so all the buyer has to do is wait and they will be able to buy the club at a rock bottom price and put the money saved into the club rather than the pocket of the seller.

These games always run the same way with fans fearing that their club may fold - you may remember the "don't let Torquay die!" fundraising efforts - when all that is really happening is the jockeying between a motivated seller apparently running out of funds and a canny buyer wanting to buy at fire sale prices. 

Usually when the buyer is in the position of strength that this buyer appears to be they will simply sit back and let the club go into administration before taking over as, with no other buyers in the frame, this is going to be their cheapest option.

It doesn't matter if half the squad and staff have gone because the buyer has the money set aside to re-employ them.

One interesting factor will be the approach taken by Swindon council who are owed IIRC £1.5m of back rent on the County Ground.  The buyer will be looking to negotiate with them to have this reduced or waived because without this, they will claim, the takeover "cannot" take place.

Which would effectively mean that Swindon council tax payers will be part-funding the takeover to the tune of £1.5m.

Tell me the old old story.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

This looks to be the stereotypical game that happens when a cash-strapped seller of a club wants to receive top dollar but the buyer wants to pay the absolute minimum and it is therefore in their interest to hold back until the club is placed into administration.

The current owner looks to be running out of funds, players and staff were not paid last month, so all the buyer has to do is wait and they will be able to buy the club at a rock bottom price and put the money saved into the club rather than the pocket of the seller.

These games always run the same way with fans fearing that their club may fold - you may remember the "don't let Torquay die!" fundraising efforts - when all that is really happening is the jockeying between a motivated seller apparently running out of funds and a canny buyer wanting to buy at fire sale prices. 

Usually when the buyer is in the position of strength that this buyer appears to be they will simply sit back and let the club go into administration before taking over as, with no other buyers in the frame, this is going to be their cheapest option.

It doesn't matter if half the squad and staff have gone because the buyer has the money set aside to re-employ them.

One interesting factor will be the approach taken by Swindon council who are owed IIRC £1.5m of back rent on the County Ground.  The buyer will be looking to negotiate with them to have this reduced or waived because without this, they will claim, the takeover "cannot" take place.

Which would effectively mean that Swindon council tax payers will be part-funding the takeover to the tune of £1.5m.

Tell me the old old story.....

I think you're pretty spot on with your assessment 

Edited by Shaun Taylor
Change spelling
  • Thanks 1