IGNORED

Rob k

Just now, Rob k said:

It was more an observation of just how few people attended tonight 

I'd imagine it was more than 10k.

I didn't go tonight because meed week games are too late for my son on a school night (primary school age) 

I'd imagine plenty had the same situation, plus others working/unwell/away. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It wasn’t 17000 but that’s closer than your guess of 10,000 !

No chance. 10k is closer to the true numbers tonight than 17k is. 
There was never more than 13.5k in there tonight, so 10 definitely closer 

• Confused 7

1 hour ago, Harry said:

No chance. 10k is closer to the true numbers tonight than 17k is. 
There was never more than 13.5k in there tonight, so 10 definitely closer 

You realise it's a 27,000 capacity right and that 10,000 is 37% of that 27,000?...

You really think including taped off areas, 63% of the stadium was unused? Almost two thirds...

• Like 4

An announced attendance of 17,300 will include all 13,500 season tickets that are always counted. PNE were allocated 1,000, but probably didn't sell all of those. There will be a few gratis tickets to players etc, but that's never more than a couple of hundred.

So that means we still shifted somewhere around 3,000 POTD tickets. Which seems like a lot.

Heading to the game 7pm knew it was quieter than normal.  
My ST is in the Dolman but guy I sit with and his lad had covid, and another guy on holiday, so  I thought I would try out a different view for a change. 
First half found seat with ease and  sat behind dug out really enjoyed it, but realised how sparsely populated the Dolman was, and for that matter the South stand as well. 
second half watched game from Upper Lansdown, really enjoyed that as well. So many seats everywhere.
Who knows how many actually passed through turnstiles, but I wold guess around 12K. The red button on sky and European football night bound to have impacted.   

Edited by DT The Optimist

I thought it was more like 13k, not helped by a paltry away following.

There are simply too many midweek games.  In the olden days, there was a 22 team top division and 22 team 2nd division.  The top division was then decreased to 20 with the 2nd division increased to 24.  At the time there were no International breaks though and you hardly saw any internationals in the 2nd division.  A random Welsh player like Mark Aizlewood bought a bit of glamour (as well as cynicism and brutality).  Now there are 4 less weekends to play games due to international windows but the number of games hasn't been reduced.

The current situation is ludicrous.  midweek games played in direct competition to Champions League.  This will only get worse next season with there being 10 Champions League group games.  23 home games reduces the sense of occasion.  People with STs don't bother as it's on the red button. Our walk up crowd must be very low.  The concessions weren't busy (my daughter told me it was her easiest shift so far).  The evening games all have the sense of 'another one'.

It's obvious to me that the league  needs to be reduced to 22 teams.  It could be done in one season by relegating 4 and only promoting 2 and this being replicated in all the leagues below. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Lots of factors in my opinion,

poor form atm against opposition who arnt very attractive , lots of home games in a short period , some very close away games at the moment with good away support, cost of living crisis and on top of that trying to get to and park around Ashton gate on a night game ( not a fun experience. Thinks that’s pretty fair assessment 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, redkev said:

Lots of factors in my opinion,

poor form atm against opposition who arnt very attractive , lots of home games in a short period , some very close away games at the moment with good away support, cost of living crisis and on top of that trying to get to and park around Ashton gate on a night game ( not a fun experience. Thinks that’s pretty fair assessment 

It was also a reareanged game from last month, and a lot of people wouldn't have factored that into their busy lives.

As other have said, it was also in the red button, so a lot of STs would think it was one to miss, and they  can still watch fro m home for free.        

Rescheduled ties generally always have lower attendances. I know a lot of people were off yesterday with various illnessess and other ailments.,,,

25 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I thought it was more like 13k, not helped by a paltry away following.

There are simply too many midweek games.  In the olden days, there was a 22 team top division and 22 team 2nd division.  The top division was then decreased to 20 with the 2nd division increased to 24.  At the time there were no International breaks though and you hardly saw any internationals in the 2nd division.  A random Welsh player like Mark Aizlewood bought a bit of glamour (as well as cynicism and brutality).  Now there are 4 less weekends to play games due to international windows but the number of games hasn't been reduced.

The current situation is ludicrous.  midweek games played in direct competition to Champions League.  This will only get worse next season with there being 10 Champions League group games.  23 home games reduces the sense of occasion.  People with STs don't bother as it's on the red button. Our walk up crowd must be very low.  The concessions weren't busy (my daughter told me it was her easiest shift so far).  The evening games all have the sense of 'another one'.

It's obvious to me that the league  needs to be reduced to 22 teams.  It could be done in one season by relegating 4 and only promoting 2 and this being replicated in all the leagues below. 

I’d rather keep the opportunity to see more games than reduce the amount  because of when they have to be played.    

Last nights game should’ve been a Saturday kick off anyway, but was  rearranged due to Her Maj. 

52 minutes ago, forbespm said:

I have only been to one game this season and that was a tenner for the Sunderland game.

I struggle to afford football at the moment but had a look at ticket 

Prices for last night's game,£35 in the dolman wings and £45 in the lansdown! How can the working man afford that?

It's disgraceful.

• Like 1

There are a lot of bugs doing the rounds at the moment up in my neck of the woods, along with covid getting a mention more often than a few months ago. 

That being said, it's a midweek game so anyone coming from far afield will probably have to take time off work, and with traffic around Bristol at the moment that could also put people off going - sit in traffic for an hour and miss part of the game, or go home and watch all of it. £25+ at this time of year though, especially in the current climate, isn't cheap.

Last couple of midweek games that I've seen on the red button, there has been a lot of spare seats though. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

It was also a reareanged game from last month, and a lot of people wouldn't have factored that into their busy lives.

As other have said, it was also in the red button, so a lot of STs would think it was one to miss, and they  can still watch fro m home for free.        

Rescheduled ties generally always have lower attendances. I know a lot of people were off yesterday with various illnessess and other ailments.,,,

Spot on, several who sit near me (ST holders) were unwell & with it being on the red button anyone with Sky who has to work & then battle through the traffic nightmare that is BS3 will undoubtedly have watched from home.

I genuinely don’t care, the club already has the money of those who bought a ticket (hence 17000) & so we need to get used to the fact this is how it is going to be if you can see the game without turning up at the ground now.

6 minutes ago, Taz said:

There are a lot of bugs doing the rounds at the moment up in my neck of the woods, along with covid getting a mention more often than a few months ago. 

That being said, it's a midweek game so anyone coming from far afield will probably have to take time off work, and with traffic around Bristol at the moment that could also put people off going - sit in traffic for an hour and miss part of the game, or go home and watch all of it. £25+ at this time of year though, especially in the current climate, isn't cheap.

Last couple of midweek games that I've seen on the red button, there has been a lot of spare seats though. 

I'm also not sure it helps having two home games back to back. 

• Like 1

Might as well pin this thread Mods, turns up most midweek games.

I've been away for a week or so, missed QPR & Cov, my ticket would be counted wether I was there or not, it's bought and paid for. Same across the board. Still many on holiday, work, ill or can't be arsed. It happens. The only variation is PotD numbers .

7 hours ago, TBW said:

You realise it's a 27,000 capacity right and that 10,000 is 37% of that 27,000?...

You really think including taped off areas, 63% of the stadium was unused? Almost two thirds...

Read it again. 
I said the true attendance was closer to 10k than to 17k. Which means I think there were certainly no more than 13,500 there. 
Which I would be very very confident of being the case. Probably more like 12. 

Not sure where you sit, but from my angle in the top Lansdown, the Dolman and South Stands were half full. 

Away end there was about 500. 
South Stand and Dolman hold around 12.5k between them. Let’s be generous and say they were 2/3rds full - approx 8.5k. 
That gives 9k in total so far. 

Now, I can’t see the Lansdown, but it’s usually very sparsely populated even in the bigger games. To reach 17k there’d have needed to be 8 thousand in the Lansdown (it holds 10.8). That’s just not the case, no way was it that full. 
Even at half full, which it rarely is anyway, that would still only give just over 14k in total. And this is me being very generous that the South and Dolman were 2/3rds full - which is nowhere near the case. 

I’m calling 12k at absolute max. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Read it again. 
I said the true attendance was closer to 10k than to 17k. Which means I think there were certainly no more than 13,500 there. 
Which I would be very very confident of being the case. Probably more like 12. 

Not sure where you sit, but from my angle in the top Lansdown, the Dolman and South Stands were half full. 

Away end there was about 500. 
South Stand and Dolman hold around 12.5k between them. Let’s be generous and say they were 2/3rds full - approx 8.5k. 
That gives 9k in total so far. 

Now, I can’t see the Lansdown, but it’s usually very sparsely populated even in the bigger games. To reach 17k there’d have needed to be 8 thousand in the Lansdown (it holds 10.8). That’s just not the case, no way was it that full. 
Even at half full, which it rarely is anyway, that would still only give just over 14k in total. And this is me being very generous that the South and Dolman were 2/3rds full - which is nowhere near the case. 

I’m calling 12k at absolute max. 

Dolman was not half full as that photo above shows 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Half empty….?

68DFEF4D-EEA9-458A-84A5-10B41688449D.png

That’s a very deceptive angle. And it’s whilst everyone is standing after the goal, so you can’t see the swathes of empty seats. 
In the Lansdown you can see very very clearly that the 2 Dolman end blocks either side were hardly populated at all and there were many many spares in the central 3 blocks. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Was that after the 90th minute goal? You're lucky to have 10 people in the Dolman at that time 

Jokin' aintcha. We're always the last to leave.

Poor egress, a multitude of immobile pensioners, plus people who want to stand in the aisle and clap the last man off the pitch, means I've often travelled about 15ft from my seat but can look across to a completely empty Lansdown and South Stand.

If you want to get away fast for some reason you HAVE to leave the Dolman before the final whistle, which is why you see folk leaving earlier than elsewhere. If you stay to the end, as I always do, you've just about made it to the concourse in the time others have taken to reach the M32!  :laughcont:

• Flames 2

Just now, !james said:

Why do people get so hung up on stated attendance vs people through the door? Does anyone actually care?!

No one is hung up on it. Just having a discussion about what the true attendance figure is. 

Just now, !james said:

No one will know for sure who seems like a bizarre discussion...!

It's fun to guess. Having seen Harry's photo, I'll put my guestimate down to 13,500 tops.

It was fairly crowded where I sit, just a few empty seats in sight, but then it's overwhelmingly ST holders. 

Night games always seem to have lots of people who arrive late though, and last night was no different. Three lads in my row contrived to miss the first 10 minutes. 

As a part timer I’d have gone but cheapest ticket was 35. Not paying that. Didn’t even know it was on red button. 
Given the number of home games in a short time I’m surprised the club haven’t done a few mates rates /kid offers over these last few weeks. Missed opportunity I’d say.
We always seem to get a good bump on the gates when ticket prices are reduced .
Should do it for every midweek game I reckon - I’m not saying that because I’m too tight to pay full whack! 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I would say it was 15k.  A few around me had a debate and majority came out around 15-16k.  12-13k empty seats.  As someone has said, no way of knowing for sure!  

Well there was 4,000 empty seats in the Atyeo for a start, so that’s down to 8-9k for the rest. Easily that. 

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's fun to guess. Having seen Harry's photo, I'll put my guestimate down to 13,500 tops.

Correct answer. Well done Robbo. I know you always come round to my way of thinking eventually ?

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Yeah I’m aware of the lack of fans in the Atyeo, cheers!

Just doing the sums for you Dave 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, forbespm said:

I have only been to one game this season and that was a tenner for the Sunderland game.

I struggle to afford football at the moment but had a look at ticket 

Prices for last night's game,£35 in the dolman wings and £45 in the lansdown! How can the working man afford that?

I think outside the premier league football is due a reality check but until they make parachute payments fairer clubs such as ourselves will be almost forced to pay wages that we can't really afford hence the stupid ticket prices for pay on the day, what the answer is I'm not sure maybe a few clubs going bankrupt like has happened in the rugby premiership maybe the start of sanity breaking out as far as living within their means is concerned. I once worked out that if ticket prices had followed inflation from 1971 a pay on the day price on the south stand would be about a tenner. an adult ticket was about 50p when I first paid adult prices in the open-end in 1972, prices are far higher than they should be.

Edited by pillred
Opinion
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, pillred said:

I think outside the premier league football is due a reality check but until they make parachute payments fairer clubs such as ourselves will be almost forced to pay wages that we can't really afford hence the stupid ticket prices for pay on the day, what the answer is I'm not sure maybe a few clubs going bankrupt like has happened in the rugby premiership maybe the start of sanity breaking out as far as living within their means is concerned. I once worked out that if ticket prices had followed inflation from 1971 a pay on the day price on the south stand would be about a tenner. an adult ticket was about 50p when I first paid adult prices in the open-end in 1972, prices are far higher than they should be.

There is absolutely no way on earth I’m paying £35 - £45 for a game between Bristol City and Preston 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

An announced attendance of 17,300 will include all 13,500 season tickets that are always counted. PNE were allocated 1,000, but probably didn't sell all of those. There will be a few gratis tickets to players etc, but that's never more than a couple of hundred.

So that means we still shifted somewhere around 3,000 POTD tickets. Which seems like a lot.

Not necessarily pod tickets you have weeks to buy these tickets on line so not a problem and yes I don’t think you would have got another 10000 in the ground 

271F05F2-A6A4-449A-A70D-0B860A98829C.jpeg

I said on the way to the ground it was going to be a low crowd. I cannot recall a time where there was so little traffic. I drove from Hengrove all the way through to the Ground (came out by the Miners Arms) and did not hit any traffic at all. 

I’ve not seen the Gate as empty as that for a long time. Reminded me of a FA Cup game against someone like Shrewsbury 

I commented in previous games how many empty seats in the South Stand to. I thought that stand had pretty much sold out!?

We all know how the attendance is calculated, so that’s a moot point.

image.png.209a347f82580de56aaacf722745c6da.png

What is clear is that midweek kick-offs on an evening (19:45 / 20:00) are less well supported than weekend kickoffs (typically 15:00 but the odd midday too).

Ave midweek: 17848

Ave weekend: 22619

Thats almost 5000 different.  Obviously away following will account for some of that lower amount, but still a number of supporters not going midweek.  Traffic, kids, parking, red button, streams etc are all in the mix.

edit: the Saturday 12:00 v Cardiff was on Sky or else I think that would’ve been 23/24k I suspect.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What is clear is that midweek kick-offs on an evening (19:45 / 20:00) are less well supported than weekend kickoffs (typically 15:00 but the odd midday too).

Thats almost 5000 different.  Obviously away following will account for some of that lower amount, but still a number of supporters not going midweek.  Traffic, kids, parking, red button, streams etc are all in the mix.

edit: the Saturday 12:00 v Cardiff was on Sky or else I think that would’ve been 23/24k I suspect.

Given how bad it is getting to anywhere in Bristol these days is there any reason why our games can't be 8pm ko?

14 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'd imagine it was more than 10k.

I didn't go tonight because meed week games are too late for my son on a school night (primary school age) 

I'd imagine plenty had the same situation, plus others working/unwell/away. 

I like the sound of meed week, well done you, brilliant.

image.png.bff68933b488ea95613791dac7461027.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Point of order Fevs you don't need "PM" if you are going to say 15:00.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pillred said:

And only 70p to get in the East end when I was a schoolboy,I used my paperound money to follow city!

I was working nightshift last night but was keen to watch city until I saw the £35 ticket price.

As another poster said,no way am I paying that kind of money.

• Like 1