IGNORED

Nathan Baker Tribute Tomorrow

Davefevs

also these boys

The John Ward team of 1997/98 and Nathan Baker will be honoured at half-time during the game against Watford.

ℹ️ JOHN WARD TEAM REUNION

In the 1997/98 season Bristol City achieved promotion to the second tier of the football league.

And on Saturday, which sees the Robins against the team that they shared promotion with during that season, there will be a pitch parade and presentation at the start of half-time. 

We welcome back: Keith Welch, Mark Shail, Gary Owers, Rob Edwards, Tommy Doherty, Brian Tinnion, Steve Torpey, Shaun Goater, Scott Murray, Shaun Taylor and their manager John Ward. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

17 minutes ago, Super said:

also these boys

The John Ward team of 1997/98 and Nathan Baker will be honoured at half-time during the game against Watford.

ℹ️ JOHN WARD TEAM REUNION

In the 1997/98 season Bristol City achieved promotion to the second tier of the football league.

And on Saturday, which sees the Robins against the team that they shared promotion with during that season, there will be a pitch parade and presentation at the start of half-time. 

We welcome back: Keith Welch, Mark Shail, Gary Owers, Rob Edwards, Tommy Doherty, Brian Tinnion, Steve Torpey, Shaun Goater, Scott Murray, Shaun Taylor and their manager John Ward. 

WOW what a team that was, Mark Shail and Shaun Taylor twoi of my favourites.

5 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I presume they're doing Remembrance stuff before the game, so it probably doesn't quite work then.

Could be a right laugh if we're 2-0 down again though.

Makes sense as the reason tomorrow. But why does to have to be tomorrow? (Baker and 97/98 team I mean - not Remembrance!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Humble Realist said:

This will be very awkward if we have poor first half. 

I.also dont understand why the team and manager are involved during half time. 

Appreciate its remembrance weekend but do this during another game then instead...not shoehorn it into half time with the first 11 and manager. 

Good point........if we are 2-0 down at half time, the atmosphere will not be wholly conducive to performing a tribute to one of our most respected and sorely missed players?   It is a peculiar, and possibly ill judged idea..........I sincerely hope it does not backfire and become an embarrassing interlude? , as Nathan deserves to be given a massive ovation, and tremendous thanks for his wholehearted performances.            I believe it has been a really underappreciated just how important Nathan was to our defence, and how much better our goals against tally would be if he was there, and giving his all action displays for the club?

Good Luck Nathan, I hope tomorrow goes well for you?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Do not get the half time bit. If we have bad first half crowd could be toxic. And generally half time crowd doing beer, fags, toilet, and food. So not engaged to what going on . Nathan deserves better than that. We miss him, top defender.

It’s because it’s remembrance weekend, so can’t really be done pre-game

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

That makes sense Dolly. But still doesn't explain why we couldn't have done the tribute to NB another game? 

Agree, it should be done before ko at another game not at a time when half the crowd will be outside or in the concourse, bad planning I think.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I'd forgotten we sold Goater mid season, John Ward said he was looking forward to using him in the Championship, we would probably have stayed up if we'd kept him

He went to Man City didn’t he? We would probably have gone up as Champions if we’d held out for the run in. 
Even then Man City were a much bigger club than us. 

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He went to Man City didn’t he? We would probably have gone up as Champions if we’d held out for the run in. 
Even then Man City were a much bigger club than us. 

Replaced him with Jason Roberts on loan , who scored the winner in next game at Oldham before p****g John Ward off by going off to play in an International

If Roberts had stayed I think we would still have been Champions

• Like 1

Thought Pearson demonstrated his man management qualities with Baker on the pitch, constantly talking to him, when it was clear that he was finding it difficult.

So sad that he’s had to retire, loved a Baker tackle, I fondly remember a full blooded late challenge against QPR on the touch line at home one year which resulted in, if I recall, several rolls by the QPR player and a straight red.

• Like 10

44 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Doubt it, goal scoring wasn’t the problem.

Might a fully fit Shaun Taylor for the whole seasom habe swung things in our favour?

We certainly picked up pts and defensively when he returned in April. Still lacked some luck...WBA away, Sunderland home, Birmingham home iirc timekeeping and officiating were not in our favour- he was injured for the 1st 2 however.

13 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Thought Pearson demonstrated his man management qualities with Baker on the pitch, constantly talking to him, when it was clear that he was finding it difficult.

So sad that he’s had to retire, loved a Baker tackle, I fondly remember a full blooded late challenge against QPR on the touch line at home one year which resulted in, if I recall, several rolls by the QPR player and a straight red.

Pretty obvious Pearson loves him, his sort of player & man.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, maxjak said:

What a fantastic competitor and footballer....wish we had 3 Nathan's at the back?  I will miss his tackles and defending, I hope he has a great rest of his life!!  Be great if he could stay attached to City in some role?

You'd need three to ensure one was available!

2 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

Found it on YT, a thing of beauty

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

It was a lovely, emotional farewell to Baker today that was really well done by everyone including the fans.

Good luck, Nathan. We will all miss your no-nonsense, whole-hearted approach at AG.

All the best in the future.

Agree. Very emotional - brought a tear to my eye in the ground today. I liked how Pearson looked after him too. Nice that his family were involved as well. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I'd forgotten we sold Goater mid season, John Ward said he was looking forward to using him in the Championship, we would probably have stayed up if we'd kept him

We did have Akinbiyi who was on fire for us in the Championship that season

14 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

Just been saying the same. Anyone doubting Pearson’s man management just watch the footage of him with Baker yesterday. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

Was not at the game but saw the clip of the tribute to Nathan. Very moving and very sad. All the best for the future Nathan  to you and your lovely family. You and your tackles will never be forgotten.

Just the words I was going to write. I was very moved by the whole thing, and the respect shown to Bakes, someone who gave his all and sadly had to leave a job he obviously loved at just 30.  It's always nice to see players with their other halves and kids as well. Makes you realise they have lives like us and aren't just numbers in a squad list.

Like everyone I wish him well, and I could tell by the pictures he was very moved as well and will doubtless hold the fanbase here fondly in his memory.  

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

I’m gonna stick my neck out and say it now, Baker will be back in some capacity for our football club. 

If not with us I agree he has too much to offer not to continue a career in football in some capacity.

I’m gonna stick my neck out and say it now, Baker will be back in some capacity for our football club. 

If not with us I agree he has too much to offer not to continue a career in football in some capacity.

17 minutes ago, One Team said:

Are you sure?  Ha!

• Haha 2

It was a lovely touch & deserved tribute - but, did anyone else think it was really badly timed - from a football perspective - to have the distraction of it being moments before the second half started - after whatever halftime team talk had been delivered...?

Distracting, surely. 

I don't think I've ever seem silimar, done at that same point during match proceedings.