IGNORED

Dan Bentley to Wolves - Confirmed

weepywall

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In respect of Bentley perhaps I'm being unduly pessimistic but anyway.

It feels optimistic that a player who cannot getinto a lower midtable Championship side, was upgraded by Brentford in 2019, and who now has 6 months left on his deal will be picked up in January by a PL side.

The transfer market can be highly random at times but I don't really see it.

It's quite common these days for PL clubs to help meet their quota of English players by having a relatively cheap English 2nd/3rd choice keeper on the books. If Bentley went there on 15/20k a week on a 3 year deal it wouldn't break the bank for them and he would be a more than able deputy if called upon for cup games and to cover injuries

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/01/2023 at 21:26, chinapig said:

@Davefevshas covered the inherited wages point.

I get your argument but I think it depends on what Gould meant. My reading is that we need players to deliver performances that justify the wage we pay them, which is a little different from your reading.

It certainly means reducing the wage bill and recruiting better either way.

I've spoken to Gould about this precise point. "Value on the pitch" is a bit of both what you and @Harry are saying.

Gould's view on it is that you need as much of your wage bill playing as much as possible. Otherwise why are you paying them?

To achieve you need a sensible wage structure with carefully allotted wages. He would say that yes you should play your expensive players as much as you can, but before you do that you should be carefully choosing who gets those high wages. It's that second part that wasn't happening under Ashton, and so we ended up with players like Palmer and at certain times Wells.

Naturally you cannot always achieve this as things like injuries (Kalas) and managers discretion (see Bentley) might detail it. 

But basically the idea is to structure wages properly, be honest with players about potential minutes and therefore fair wages, and to have a clear idea from the manager about how much players will play. In that way we can try to get our "£ on the pitch" as Gould said to me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In respect of Bentley perhaps I'm being unduly pessimistic but anyway.

It feels optimistic that a player who cannot getinto a lower midtable Championship side, was upgraded by Brentford in 2019, and who now has 6 months left on his deal will be picked up in January by a PL side.

The transfer market can be highly random at times but I don't really see it.

I mean the biggest club in the world just signed Jack Butland, he struggled in the championship with Stoke big time. Don’t think it’s that unlikely Palace pick up Bentley for back up. It would be pretty identical to what they did with Butland 

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

It's quite common these days for PL clubs to help meet their quota of English players by having a relatively cheap English 2nd/3rd choice keeper on the books. If Bentley went there on 15/20k a week on a 3 year deal it wouldn't break the bank for them and he would be a more than able deputy if called upon for cup games and to cover injuries

I’m not sure there is a quota on “English players”, is there? Homegrown ones, so through the Academy system maybe?

I have no idea if Palace plan to promote some kid to 3rd choice or look at making a signing, but this isn’t the most far fetched suggestion on here by a long way.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I've spoken to Gould about this precise point. "Value on the pitch" is a bit of both what you and @Harry are saying.

Gould's view on it is that you need as much of your wage bill playing as much as possible. Otherwise why are you paying them?

To achieve you need a sensible wage structure with carefully allotted wages. He would say that yes you should play your expensive players as much as you can, but before you do that you should be carefully choosing who gets those high wages. It's that second part that wasn't happening under Ashton, and so we ended up with players like Palmer and at certain times Wells.

Naturally you cannot always achieve this as things like injuries (Kalas) and managers discretion (see Bentley) might detail it. 

But basically the idea is to structure wages properly, be honest with players about potential minutes and therefore fair wages, and to have a clear idea from the manager about how much players will play. In that way we can try to get our "£ on the pitch" as Gould said to me.

Thanks, impressive as ever from Gould. I'm missing him already!?

I do sometimes wonder where we would be now if we had had him, Pearson and Tinnion in charge 3 or 4 years ago <sigh>.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I’m not sure there is a quota on “English players”, is there? Homegrown ones, so through the Academy system maybe?

I have no idea if Palace plan to promote some kid to 3rd choice or look at making a signing, but this isn’t the most far fetched suggestion on here by a long way.

99% sure there is a homegrown quota which means that you need a certain quantity of players in your squad that were trained in the UK for something like 4 years before there 21st birthday, doesn't have to necessarily be within your own academy though just within the UK. That's why Scott Carson is still at Man City, Butland now at United, Rob Green did it at Chelsea I think too.

35 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

99% sure there is a homegrown quota which means that you need a certain quantity of players in your squad that were trained in the UK for something like 4 years before there 21st birthday, doesn't have to necessarily be within your own academy though just within the UK. That's why Scott Carson is still at Man City, Butland now at United, Rob Green did it at Chelsea I think too.

Thanks, so that’s UK (not English) then & say the likes of Chelsea or Man City have a Spanish or French player who has been with them since they’ve 16, presumably they come under this category too?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Well articulated. ??????

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Thanks, so that’s UK (not English) then & say the likes of Chelsea or Man City have a Spanish or French player who has been with them since they’ve 16, presumably they come under this category too?

52BA7E2E-41BA-4E63-A9E8-B8F3790C68A5.thumb.jpeg.c2e1c8ab96b661ca3932a4a66a52c561.jpeg

80DD0D28-8E60-40E1-ACE8-E8CED5526BDE.thumb.jpeg.80ec7ab0ee147bd7c331fcc665cd3844.jpeg

Here’s City’s status:

image.thumb.png.4140151ef2c669ff8b0a8d958a522123.png

Kalas, despite coming over young, spent loan periods abroad so didn’t meet the reqs of been home grown.  Whereas Weimann did.  Naismith doesn’t because he was in Scotland, Atkinson in France!  Yesterday Massengo is club developed!!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Gould's view on it is that you need as much of your wage bill playing as much as possible

He would say that yes you should play your expensive players as much as you can,

Crackpot logic - imo.

Football is played on grass(mostly!)

17 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Crackpot logic - imo.

Not sure the second of those was my quotes ⬇️⬇️⬇️

image.thumb.png.e74f2e47d12abab5bc9644a7eb7e299d.png

Not that it matters…crackpot logic indeed, as per my reply near the top of this page (3).

Edited by Davefevs

Well articulated. ??????

52BA7E2E-41BA-4E63-A9E8-B8F3790C68A5.thumb.jpeg.c2e1c8ab96b661ca3932a4a66a52c561.jpeg

80DD0D28-8E60-40E1-ACE8-E8CED5526BDE.thumb.jpeg.80ec7ab0ee147bd7c331fcc665cd3844.jpeg

Here’s City’s status:

image.thumb.png.4140151ef2c669ff8b0a8d958a522123.png

Kalas, despite coming over young, spent loan periods abroad so didn’t meet the reqs of been home grown.  Whereas Weimann did.  Naismith doesn’t because he was in Scotland, Atkinson in France!  Yesterday Massengo is club developed!!!

If someone had set me "which seven Bristol City players don't count as homegrown under league requirements?", I'd have failed to get at least three of them correct! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Crackpot logic - imo.

I think you are misunderstanding what Richard Gould is saying. He doesn't mean you should be playing your most expensive players, he means the players on the pitch should be your best earners.

In other words, not having players coming in on a good wage just to pick up the money. Even on a home grown level we seem to have made mistakes, we have players like Morton, Moore and maybe even Edwards, whom we seem to have put on such good contracts that they don't want to sign for other clubs. They are happy taking our shilling, until their contract runs out.

It's about value for money, we never got it from Palmer, and many others so I don't think it's crackpot logic at all.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

49 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Backs up with a few of us have heard.

Two things, maybe it’s just me but why does the reporter here say Stoke are “likely” to make a contribution towards his wages? There is zero point in this for us in this otherwise, a very negative slant.

Secondly be interested to see if we replace him or simply promote Bajic to back up, guess it will be the latter.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Two things, maybe it’s just me but why does the reporter here say Stoke are “likely” to make a contribution towards his wages? There is zero point in this for us in this otherwise, a very negative slant.

Secondly be interested to see if we replace him or simply promote Bajic to back up, guess it will be the latter.

Bents on loan to them & josh Laurent on loan to us …… I’d take that

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I was thinking the same Graham. They have to pay a loan fee or help out with wages, or we're literally just strengthening a rival with no incentive for us. I like to think 'likely to contribute to his wages' should read 'WILL contribute to his wages', or I'd tell them to sod off. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Would have thought that if Bentley goes we stick with O'Leary and Bajic as 1 and 2, with Wiles-Richards the number 3.

Don’t know what’s going on with Wiles-Richards, after 1 game for Hereford he hasn’t featured again.

Not sure if he picked up a knock or they didn’t rate him, we do have Buse (down at Yeovil) as well, of course.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Loaning out our best keeper. Bad business. 

Or, loaning out a player on very high wages, demanding even higher wages for a new deal, who isn’t even in the first 11. Loan out one not playing, to help fund us loaning one in who can improve us. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

He isn't that much better than Max, if at all, to warrant his cost to us.

I think he is a lot better. 

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Or, loaning out a player on very high wages, demanding even higher wages for a new deal, who isn’t even in the first 11. Loan out one not playing, to help fund us loaning one in who can improve us. 

I hope that is the case, because imo O'Leary isn't good enough. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Absolutely, the penny still hasn’t dropped for some, has it?

How do they suggest we fund strengthening the squad otherwise?

We can’t start February with our current one & be confident of easily avoiding the bottom three.

We have players like HNM happy to sit their current deal out, if we can move any on in order to facilitate change it can only be a good thing.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Without this igniting the whole Bentley vs Max debate for the millionth time, this is good business. He isn't playing, he isn't going to get back into the team, he's a high earner, we have Bajic as backup. Makes perfect logical and financial sense. Good deal. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Don’t know what’s going on with Wiles-Richards, after 1 game for Hereford he hasn’t featured again.

Not sure if he picked up a knock or they didn’t rate him, we do have Buse (down at Yeovil) as well, of course.

Ah forgot that Wiles-Richards had gone on loan. Casa-Grande is a keeper as well isn't he?

Perhaps we're not quite as well stocked in the youth goalkeeper dept as I remembered.

26 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

Don't strengthen a rival 

Im not sure we are strengthening them if he was to go there. He talks a good game, but when it comes to actually doing it on the pitch hes very up and down. I thought we were getting one of the best keepers in the championship when he signed, but hes average, and gets paid too much money for it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Im not sure we are strengthening them if he was to go there. He talks a good game, but when it comes to actually doing it on the pitch hes very up and down. I thought we were getting one of the best keepers in the championship when he signed, but hes average, and gets paid too much money for it.

Agreed 

On 07/01/2023 at 12:44, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Bentley to Palace isn't that far fetched, Leicester have Alex Smithies as their third choice

It is because it’s not even a rumour, someone just made a guess because palace have lost a keeper.

Why would Bentley, at 29 in his prime, want to sit on a bench as 3rd choice? Carson, Butland etc at least have gone to teams that win silverware.

Butland hasn’t been the same since injury, shame as he was going into a World Cup probably as number one.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

He isn't that much better than Max, if at all, to warrant his cost to us.

Bentley was a future England keeper according to some on here 

• Haha 1

Just tried doing a stats check on Bentleys time with us, I got the following:

142 appearances (all comps)

30 clean sheets

188 goals conceded.

Just for comparison, over the same time period:

Bartosz Bialkowski (Millwall)

154 appearances

51 clean sheets

161 goals conceded.

It may not seem like a huge difference from a statistical perspective. But it highlights the small margins that make the difference in this division. 

Millwall aren’t a team that score lots of goals, but their stable defence and keeper are what makes them a top half team each year.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, FabledRobin said:

A keeper that should’ve been on our radar since his Notts County days

Always remember him from the 3-2 win at Ipswich, he threw one into the net & didn’t do much better with Paterson’s goal, either.

Might have been a one off, of course.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Always remember him from the 3-2 win at Ipswich, he threw one into the net & didn’t do much better with Paterson’s goal, either.

Erratic keeper.  Brilliant some days, not so others.

• Like 1

I really hope Bentley gets a loan move, for his sake as much as ours. I think the club's approach is the right one, in that he was in poor form when he was dropped, he is likely to be on a salary well above what we'd now want to pay and we need to find out whether O'Leary can be number one or not. 

However I also do think he is our best keeper and, whilst inconsistent, he's demonstrated a considerably better level of performance at his best than O'Leary has to date. I also don't think he's done a huge amount wrong - he had a couple of poor performances but I don't think they would have warranted dropping him were his contract situation different. I support the club's approach as I think it better for us in the long-term but I think he is a victim of circumstances as much as anything and it's obviously in his interests as much as ours for him to go somewhere where he can play. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

On 11/01/2023 at 13:11, AshtonRobin21 said:

Just tried doing a stats check on Bentleys time with us, I got the following:

142 appearances (all comps)

30 clean sheets

188 goals conceded.

Just for comparison, over the same time period:

Bartosz Bialkowski (Millwall)

154 appearances

51 clean sheets

161 goals conceded.

It may not seem like a huge difference from a statistical perspective. But it highlights the small margins that make the difference in this division. 

Millwall aren’t a team that score lots of goals, but their stable defence and keeper are what makes them a top half team each year.

Absolutely agree. I’d rather have a tight defence right now than free flowing 3-3 draws or 4-2 defeats week in week out. If we can tighten up in January we will finish comfortably mid table.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nigel-pearson-dan-bentley-future-8024192

He didn't deny Stoke's interest in Bentley but questioned whether they will receive an offer in the region of what they were looking for.

When asked if they would consider moving on the club captain should a serious offer come in, he replied: "It all depends on what you call a serious offer.

"You would be very, very surprised by what clubs deem to be reasonable offers. We will only move players if it’s in our interest to do it or if we feel it’s a fair situation.”

Pearson was wary about leaving his goalkeeper department short should they sanction the move. While O'Leary looks nailed on to keep the No1 shirt, Bajic's lack of experience despite his impressive form for the Under-21s could prove problematic. Will Buse and Harvey Wiles-Richards are also out on loan.

“What we don’t want to do is leave ourselves short either,”

35 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Pearson talking in riddles again. 

So, we are prepared to let him go if the price is right. 
But we have to be careful not to leave ourselves short. 

But we’re prepared to leave ourselves short if we get a good enough offer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I really hope Bentley gets a loan move, for his sake as much as ours. I think the club's approach is the right one, in that he was in poor form when he was dropped, he is likely to be on a salary well above what we'd now want to pay and we need to find out whether O'Leary can be number one or not. 

However I also do think he is our best keeper and, whilst inconsistent, he's demonstrated a considerably better level of performance at his best than O'Leary has to date. I also don't think he's done a huge amount wrong - he had a couple of poor performances but I don't think they would have warranted dropping him were his contract situation different. I support the club's approach as I think it better for us in the long-term but I think he is a victim of circumstances as much as anything and it's obviously in his interests as much as ours for him to go somewhere where he can play. 

I’m not sure, that Birmingham display was shambolic, a keeper has to be better than that for the reported money he’s on 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Pearson talking in riddles again. 

So, we are prepared to let him go if the price is right. 
But we have to be careful not to leave ourselves short. 

But we’re prepared to leave ourselves short if we get a good enough offer. 

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

But if the offer is good enough then we have room to add to the squad and therefore not be left short? That doesn't seem too complicated? 

Yep pretty clear as @Percy Pig says.

If you want him, pay what we're after, otherwise do one, he'll sit on our bench.

If Pearson came out and said "Dan's not going to play for us again unless everyone else is struck down with a virus" or something which implies we're not that fussed now, then any potential offer is going to be well short of what we would be prepared to accept.

By saying we're not going to let him go and leave us with no/fewer backup(s), you may as well be saying "you can have him for nothing".

Edited by Taz

Makes a lot of sense & would also presumably be on a permanent basis.

Sarkic, their back up keeper is very inexperienced & Bentley seems an ideal, low cost (for a Prem side) understudy.

Probably best all round for this to happen now.

• Thanks 1

Our Player Of The Season not long time ago, so in normal circumstances I would have no doubts about keeping him and playing him instead of Max. However, our situation is really complicated at the moment, so difficult choices are required: with three goalkeepers available and the short lenght of his contract, I see the logic in this potential move...

Edited by Dan Robin

3 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

But if the offer is good enough then we have room to add to the squad and therefore not be left short? That doesn't seem too complicated? 

So if we get a good offer for Bentley and we let him go, you think we’ll be signing another goalkeeper? 
We already signed his replacement; Bajic. 
If he’s not ready to be the number 2 in February why would he be ready by August?
We knew Bentley would be leaving this summer, so Bajic is already in the building to be the number 2. 
Can’t see us signing another keeper even if we got £5m for Bentley! 
Ergo - Pearson talking in riddles. “We want him to leave, but we don’t want to be left short, unless we get a good offer”. What a load of baloney. 
We need the money, we need to release the wages. Do the deal and trust in your own recruitment of Bajic to be your number 2 keeper. 

• Like 1

On 12/01/2023 at 03:28, GrahamC said:

Pretty sure that season I saw him have a fair few shockers. Being at Millwall with a strong defence in front of him helps a lot