IGNORED

Time Since Last Bristol City Penalty

JackiDziekanowski

28 minutes ago, spudski said:

Should get this countdown clock on the screens during the games, and I'm sure someone could get a song going about it ??

Not actually a bad idea. If there was a more us vs them atmosphere we may be more competitive.

Too casual on the field and in the stands.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I thought that was standard throughout the League now, so I guess that's just non League teams. But I guess that is similar.
At least it would be just Non League Teams playing home that don't have it , so the differences are limited. 

From 1st round you get 32 qualifiers to add to the 72 League teams. So VAR is available at 20 out of 124 clubs, what's the point.
Ref it Old School.

I don't think it's used in League 1 - Danny Cowley was complaining about that before Christmas. 

47 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

My question is WTF is the crowd doing. Need to get right on the refs back but there is none of that these days

There was a little bit of anger at a couple of the calls today but it fizzled out.

We really do need to get behind our side and on the backs of the officials. Made a start on some Championship penalty analysis during the October international break, may return to it and update- the figures will be wildly more ludicrous and off the charts.

5 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I don't think it's used in League 1 - Danny Cowley was complaining about that before Christmas. 

Really, I thought it was. 

I do think that makes less of a difference than VAR potentially does, but this day and age and with the money sloshing around Football they should be able to do it throughout the League.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There was a little bit of anger at a couple of the calls today but it fizzled out.

We really do need to get behind our side and on the backs of the officials. Made a start on some Championship penalty analysis during the October international break, may return to it and update- the figures will be wildly more ludicrous and off the charts.

I thought the crowd were decent enough in the 2nd half to be fair 

10 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I thought the crowd were decent enough in the 2nd half to be fair 

Oh yeah, atmosphere was good 2nd half. What I mean is specifically sustained anger at refereeing decisions, sustained pressure on the ref.

On the general point, I enjoyed the 2nd half both on the pitch and atmosphere wise.

• Like 1

The last time we had a penalty Queen Elizabeth was on the throne............

......and rewarded Francis Drake with a knighthood for circumnavigating the globe, 20 years after he helped defeat the Spanish Armada!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm still pissed off with the one Scott didnt get against QPR last season. 

Maybe we need to start plastering the 428 days (or whatever the number is) around the ground on a match day. Fans with it written on pieces of paper, stick it on the advertising hoardings going round the pitch, give Sam Bell a new squad number, pipe that annoying loop of 7 Nation Army into the referees dressing room for 428 seconds, stick it on a surfer flag

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@sinenomine

It would probably be impossible, because on many highlights videos those episodes are not shown (a really stupid choice).

Some years ago, the club uploaded the full matches on the Robins TV page, and that could have been the perfect source to find/record penalties claims, reds not given to opposition players, etc.  

I imagine that the club media department keeps all the match videos somewhere, so I guess the only chance to make relevant clips is involving someone at the club, by suggesting it directly or indirectly, by talking heavily about it on social medias...

My only concern - maybe the board's one too? - is that making public/strong complaints would lead to a revenge by the EFL, and in our financial situation it could mean points deductions. This is the only reason I'd understand the silence of the club about refereeings...

Edited by Dan Robin

Some of these are definitely available.

The ones yesterday on BBC highlights are time limited.

The ones v Nottingham Forest and QPR last season were on Robins TV/club highlights iirc?

Am mistaken. Watched the QPR ones back and their penalty came after our non penalty call..reached the point of their penalty and yet 9 and a half mins of highlights did not show it.

Some of this season's ones will also have been. Some won't.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 08/01/2023 at 16:01, 1960maaan said:

Picture the scene.....

Penalty Bristol City, umm the players seem to be wandering around not sure what to do next. They are consulting the bench, but they seem unaware what the next step is ....

The Ref has now given a goal Kick :facepalm:

It'll be similar to when man discovered how to make fire.....

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The ones v Nottingham Forest and QPR last season were on Robins TV/club highlights iirc?

Am mistaken. Watched the QPR ones back and their penalty came after our non penalty call..reached the point of their penalty and yet 9 and a half mins of highlights did not show it.

Thank you for the Quest....

"Its definitely a penalty...."

18 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Thank you for the Quest....

"Its definitely a penalty...."

One v Luton and possibly one of th3 two v Wigan, the two v Watford are all in club highlights.

Stoke one wasn't, the Middlesbrough shout(s) unsure, Watford ones were, don't think Sheffield United ones were. Not watched the Hull ones for a while.

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sums up what I'm saying about club and fans.

How on earth can club produced highlights not show blatent penalties not given??

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Sums up what I'm saying about club and fans.

How on earth can club produced highlights not show blatent penalties not given??

Fully agree there, some claims have more merit than others but it does seem odd that a key incident in a game like a potential penalty is not shown on club produced highlights.

These are probably shown but is not just penalties either. Granted not penalties but the non red csrd to Bennett, the red card to Sykes was fine but had a) The Atkinson penalty or b) More justifiably, the non foul called in the build up. Two players sandwiched Sykes, thst gets called as a foul and his challenge does not happen.

Even then why a Sykes for red and not Freeman.

See also the non red card for Norwood in November.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Can someone send are plight to Jeff Stelling , stats and all. We must do something ! ?

I've got his phone number. Its worth a try.

Lets compose a text and try to get on Soccer Saturday.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I wish more refs were on Twitter. I want to send Craig Pawson my thoughts on his performance Saturday - and the BBC article about his performance Saturday.

I think that was the ultimate on Sunday, a challenge in the box worthy of a yellow card to a Swansea player, but they get the free kick. ?

• Like 1

There were at least 4 shouts Sunday, a couple subjective but a couple I thought were clear cut - the one on Atkinson? Where he was wiped out in the box, and the other was on Semenyo I think.

Watching it on holiday with a Leeds supporting friend and he said the same thing 

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think that was the ultimate on Sunday, a challenge in the box worthy of a yellow card to a Swansea player, but they get the free kick. ?

I'm just taking some solace in the fact it's garnered a story on the BBC site. At least it's being noticed (and not just on OTIB!). 2 penalties against Birmingham please!

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

There were at least 4 shouts Sunday, a couple subjective but a couple I thought were clear cut - the one on Atkinson? Where he was wiped out in the box, and the other was on Semenyo I think.

Watching it on holiday with a Leeds supporting friend and he said the same thing 

I think that's what frustrates me most. Other clubs will get their fair share of penalties that are subjective/questionable over the course of a season, we can't even get the stone wall ones. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seems we have asked for clarification on penalty record??

Plus the reasons behind it.

Fairly unprecedented no?

Adds a bit of pressure I guess.

I would love to see a super cut of all the penalty claims we’ve had in the last few years. 

Referees are obviously not against Bristol City, but it is strange to see such bad luck go on for this amount of time. Hopefully it changes soon

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I would love to see a super cut of all the penalty claims we’ve had in the last few years. 

Referees are obviously not against Bristol City, but it is strange to see such bad luck go on for this amount of time. Hopefully it changes soon

I'm largely behind the club on this one. Bit of pressure combined with a montage could be interesting...I started work on some shot data in the Autumn, could now be a good time to return.

They might also add the Bennett non red card, the Sykes red but nothing in the build-up when a penalty was waved away, or Sykes was sandwiched and no foul and this I believe fed into the mindset which caused the red card and then Freeman only being booked. Then the Norwood non red vs Sheffield United.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah a montage video on twitter would really be something, because you'll get some people 'oh that's not a penalty' when its not their own team when they see them play against us but a few minute video and there will be at least a few where they go 'okay yeah that's a pen'

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Yep that's exactly the reply we'll get.

But that's the thing if/when we get that response, with a video of all the worst decisions we can then ask why referees thought those decisions weren't penalties, because its got past the point of a few bad calls.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Super said:

Completely pointless. Obvious what the reply will be if we actually get one.

I wonder why we don't show them on club highlights that often. Not only should each penalty shout that is at least reasonable be on there, there should be a replay or 2 from different angles.

We have video evidence of each wrong call against us, a few were bound to be incorrect calls.

I also think that we should get right on officials backs from early in games often, really get into them as fans (verbally). Case by case obvs.

38 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Obviously not?!? Not so obvious, considering the scandals around football, some of which have involved referees.

Anyway, I'm glad that something is finally moving.  Every true supporter should be behind the club for this issue.

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Robin 1

41 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I would love to see a montage of no penalty decisions over the last few years I would personally send it to the EFL The head of referees and FA! It’s absurd what we have had not given. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Obviously not?!? Not so obvious, considering the scandals around football, some of which have involved referees.

Anyway, I'm glad that something is finally moving.  Every true supporter should be behind the club for this issue.

Why would they take issue with us though? I can’t see it being purposefully done. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

It’s a statistical anomaly 

I suppose that's part of the issue - it's gone beyond that now.

In the same way that rolling a 6 on a dice 3 times in a row is an anomaly, whereas rolling a 6 on a dice 30 times in a row is actively suspicious.

9 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

But that's the thing if/when we get that response, with a video of all the worst decisions we can then ask why referees thought those decisions weren't penalties, because its got past the point of a few bad calls.

And yes, would be great if we could get a compilation of all the claims across the last few years. There are quite a few absolutely blatant ones in there, proving that the "clearly you just don't get near the box enough" idea is complete bollocks.

16 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

FINALLY

About time this club stood up for itself

Agreed. I certainly don't think it would have taken other clubs/managers quite so long to be a bit more active and vocal about it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

It’s a statistical anomaly 

According to this guy, a statistical anomoly of gigantic proportions. Now I’m one of those that Sunak thinks should have had more maths lessons: I haven’t got a clue whether this is accurate or not…..but it’s got a ring of truth!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Red from afar said:

Nigel Pearson: Bristol City manager 'bemused' by lack of penalties awarded - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64212682

Seems they're becoming aware.

It’s not a great article, is it? No context: how unusual is 428 days, what’s the average, how long we’d waited even before the last one, just how extreme an anomoly we are. 

It just comes across a bit like another manager having a moan after another poor result on a lengthy bad run. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Super said:

Masterstoke if we get 3 pens on Saturday!

Knowing our luck we'll miss the bloody lot :laugh: The anticipation will be like getting with that hot bird you've been chasing for months, then blowing your load in your underpants.

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Knowing our luck we'll miss the bloody lot :laugh: The anticipation will be like getting with that hot bird you've been chasing for months, then blowing your load in your underpants.

Oh yeah, I've never been more certain of anything than us missing it when we eventually get one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1