IGNORED

Phil Alexander

The Journalist

5 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Is Bristol City’s new CEO. Slightly left-field but lots of experience at Crystal Palace.

Seems an incredibly astute appointment on the face of it, fair play to the Board.   Be interesting to know why he is leaving Palace for us.   

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Is Bristol City’s new CEO. Slightly left-field but lots of experience at Crystal Palace.

Not heard of before today but as you say, 26 years as CEO of Palace under various regimes and through the club being in admin twice suggests he ticks the experience box. Although a CEO who oversees a club going into admin doesn’t seem a great look!

Pros for me is that if I look at Palace they bring through youth and use the academy well, so fits with the ethos. Clear experience and at a very good level. Seems a good fit at first look.

• Like 5

Just now, lenred said:

Seems an incredibly astute appointment on the face of it, fair play to the Board.   Be interesting to know why he is leaving Palace for us.   

Left in May and was working as a consultant for them:

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/statement/phil-alexander-takes-on-a-new-role-as-a-palace-consultant/2022-05-10/

Maybe wants to get feet wet again. The fact that he left but they still wanted him engaged is good

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/statement/phil-alexander-takes-on-a-new-role-as-a-palace-consultant/2022-05-10/

Maybe wants to get feet wet again. The fact that he left but they still wanted him engaged is good

Thanks Silvio.  On wiki it said he was still in post.   As you say, the fact Palace wanted him to continue is a really good sign. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Extract from link, but very positive from ex employer - 

Chairman Steve Parish commented: “Phil has been an integral part of CPFC for the last 26 years, and it’s fair to say his contribution to the club is immeasurable. Quite apart from his unswerving loyalty, day-to-day hard work, Phil has been the most loyal of servants steering the club through not one, but two, periods when the very existence of the club was threatened.

“During those two administrations Phil was instrumental in holding the club together. He brought in the management team that kept the club in the championship in 2010 on that famous day in Sheffield and set the club on course for where it is today.

“We wish him every possible success in his new job. On a personal note I would like to publicly thank you Phil, you’ve been brilliant to work with we’ve had an enormous amount of pressure at times but also a huge amount of fun.

"Good luck mate, we look forward to seeing you back at Selhurst sometime soon.”

• Thanks 1

A very positive appointment, could probably teach Richard a thing or two about being a football CEO?

Some good news at last and he’s here for the January window, I expect to see a lot of player movement.

He will have a lot of experience dealing with agents etc.

2 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

A very positive appointment, could probably teach Richard a thing or two about being a football CEO?

Some good news at last and he’s here for the January window, I expect to see a lot of player movement.

He will have a lot of experience dealing with agents etc.

Richard Gould will be overseeing the January transfer window and although this looks a great appointment, it's still a shame Richard is leaving.

• Like 6

At last a steady experienced CEO hopefully now this will kick us on as Pearson said we need to stick together and have patience a man like Alexander with experience of clubs close to admin and lacking the cash we can move away from this period. I've become frustrated with the Lansdowns but they seem to be getting the message. Good appointment in my book.?

• Like 4

I don't know anything of him or why he wants to leave Palace, but appears to be a cracking appointment.
Specially with the little Tweet from 3Peaps.

1147598697_Screenshot2022-12-28at10_21_18.png.8ff90b2c4009f5369e07f2f54bbd4b73.png

EDIT:
Ok, so was CEO at Palace from 96 and after a short break has been working as consultant for Palace. 
Did 26 years with the Club , so no fly by night. 

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 2

Imo RG is a hard act to follow but this guy has an impressive CV so hopefully he’ll be able to utilise  his knowledge and experience when he joins us. He’ll obviously have numerous contacts within the industry all most certainly more than RG has who, let’s face it deep down he’s a cricket man and has landed the top job in the ECB.

• Like 4

I've met Phil Alexander a few times over the years when campaigning for safe standing and always found him approachable and friendly.

It looks like a good appointment to me, not least as it has been made in a timely fashion, leaving a good hand-over period between Richard Gould and him.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

Never heard of the guy which is a good sign. That being said all those saying good appointment, are these informed opinions or just he's from them prem, he's been there a long time? I see 2 administrations which gives me an Ashton type feeling (although he hung around for them some some brownie points), if he mentions any rigorous processes I'm going to o be instantly triggered ?.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blagdon red said:

I've met Phil Alexander a few times over the years when campaigning for safe standing and always found him approachable and friendly.

It looks like a good appointment to me, not least as it has been made in a timely fashion, leaving a good hand-over period between Richard Gould and him.

Seems like a good appointment. Welcome to the club, Phil. 

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just as a devils advocate thought. 

As well as consultancy at Palace, he’s been a consultant at Wycombe since start of the season - leaves on Jan 20th.

If we did jettison Nige at one point soon, has Gareth Ainsworth just gone up in the betting?

Still wouldnt be against Ainsworth aha

• Like 1

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

As well as consultancy at Palace, he’s been a consultant at Wycombe since start of the season - leaves on Jan 20th.

If we did jettison Nige at one point soon, has Gareth Ainsworth just gone up in the betting?

I guess the only question is would he ever leave Wycombe?  If he would then   I wouldn’t be averse to him at all when the time comes that NP leaves.   

32 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Looks a good appointment on the face of it, a football man with loads of experience at the top. It`s also good IMO that he has 5-6 weeks of working with Richard Gould before he leaves rather than the club floundering around in February with no-one in charge.

Important last sentence. It does appear that we are beginning to get so much right instead of the haphazard way we existed until NP appeared on the scene.

Just one thing left to deal with and that is the minor question of points gathering!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, !james said:

There are some positive and negative view about him on the forum, with many wondering how he managed to last so long with a variety of different owners. The one I like is:

“I am naïve to think he just established himself what ever the new regime was by doing a good job and working for the cause?”

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Doesn’t seem like he did much football related there, more the hard commercial projects 

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

There are some positive and negative view about him on the forum, with many wondering how he managed to last so long with a variety of different owners. The one I like is:

“I am naïve to think he just established himself what ever the new regime was by doing a good job and working for the cause?”

Unlike football fans to be cynical about areas they know little/nothing about ??

Wow that's a better appointment than I expected considering Gould leaving was a bit unexpected.

Don't know the details of Palace's history but always seemed like a well run club and a similar path to one we'd like to follow (minus th administrations :laugh:)

Can't complain about 3 promotions in his tenure?!

Edited by YGBjammy

Seems vastly experienced, and of the top two divisions at that, ie his time at Crystal Palace.

Two administrations but not exactly his fault, surely the owner calls the shots and the CEO does his bidding in a privately owned football club type set-up. Don't think Jordan is a great fan fwiw, found a quote on that Palace thread. Administration is no concern IMO unless or until SL runs out of money or gets bored funding us.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Looks good on paper and from chat. Hopefully comes in with an open mind and a desire to engage all parts of the club. 

I am glad that it's someone from outside of the Club, and seemingly from outside of Lansdown's immediate circle. Gould was an outside voice and has been brilliant in his short time with us. Hopefully this is even better given Alexander is a real football man.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Doesn’t seem like he did much football related there, more the hard commercial projects 

Unlike football fans to be cynical about areas they know little/nothing about ??

I believe it’s the commercial side we need to sweat more!

As for his appointment, not got too much of a view…CV looks good, but I did find one skeleton on LinkedIn

0621A1E3-6204-4094-82EA-E79381D104B7.thumb.jpeg.f41c89402af3b3b030ecc9410d7e942a.jpeg

Pleased re the appointment because it had gone very quiet in the higher echelons of the club.  Pleased he will get a good handover period too.  Fear for me was appointing someone who had to give notice.

Will judge when seen him in action (not on the pitch, although he has one more professional appearance than Mark Ashton, besides his goal kicking for the Monarchs - remember Clive Allen was their kicker at one point).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

Never heard of the guy which is a good sign. That being said all those saying good appointment, are these informed opinions or just he's from them prem, he's been there a long time? I see 2 administrations which gives me an Ashton type feeling (although he hung around for them some some brownie points), if he mentions any rigorous processes I'm going to o be instantly triggered ?.

Hopefully he's never been on anyone's books as a youth team goalkeeper.

Anyway, just to add my congratulations to City on making a very astute appointment. Sounds like someone who can oversee ownership changes. Hmm.