IGNORED

After Lineker, who next?

Lack of Action Man

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I understand that but to be fair she would talk most of us under the table when it comes to how a game of football is progressing..........using your logic most of the other male pundits like Redknapp who talks cliches most of the time, despite both him and his old man having been there and done it, shouldn't appear with Souness and Keane!!!

Again, to be fair, that is bullshit.

Football is a simple game and most of us could easy "understand" what is going on in a game without any help (male or female)

I was only talking about the men's game, and having people who have played the men's game being the ones I'd rather hear from.

It's all about opinions, and I respect yours, other than the bit where you say pundits talking fans under the table nonsense.

Edited by AppyDAZE

36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Gabby Logan is an excellent presenter on all sports covered by the BBC and she doesn’t pretend to be anything else. I find several of the female pundits (Emma Haynes excluded) voices irritating. They rarely contribute anything of interest.

Most pundits tend to tell us what we can see for ourselves or give us platitudes like "he should have done better there Gary" and "he'll be a bit disappointed with that" when somebody misses a sitter. Very few give us any tactical insight, things we wouldn't otherwise see ourselves necessarily.

45 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Gabby Logan is an excellent presenter on all sports covered by the BBC and she doesn’t pretend to be anything else. I find several of the female pundits (Emma Haynes excluded) voices irritating. They rarely contribute anything of interest.

Logan, very good.  Obviously daughter of Terry, wife of international rugby player, and an international gymnast herself.  Good pedigree.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Again, to be fair, that is bullshit.

Football is a simple game and most of us could easy "understand" what is going on in a game without any help (male or female)

I was only talking about the men's game, and having people who have played the men's game being the ones I'd rather hear from.

It's all about opinions, and I respect yours, other than the bit where you say pundits talking fans under the table nonsense.

If it was that simple I might be able to outwit Pep Guardiola. It looks simple in principle perhaps but in practice it's more complex.

The problem for me is that most pundits state the obvious and don't give us any insight. Just because somebody has played the game it doesn't follow that they are good at explaining it.

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

If it was that simple I might be able to outwit Pep Guardiola. It looks simple in principle perhaps but in practice it's more complex.

The problem for me is that most pundits state the obvious and don't give us any insight. Just because somebody has played the game it doesn't follow that they are good at explaining it.

:laugh:  I always think it's odd when you're watching a game on TV and the commentator says

It's hit the bar!

It's on TV,  we CAN SEE THAT ffs

Don’t think it has to be a football person. Just as long as it’s not Jake Humphrey or similar. 

Of the current football presenters, I think Mark Chapman is best to take over right now.

But it’s very likely IMO that Alex Scott will be given an opportunity. I don’t agree with that, but in the same way I wouldn’t want Martin Keown to do it. 

1 hour ago, East Londoner said:

Have to agree regarding Gabby Logan, i didn’t watch the World Cup so don’t know whether she’s improved or not but when Alex Scott started on soccer am she was pretty wooden 

Lineker was wooden when he started. It takes a lot of practice and experience to learn a new skill. A bit like having to think hard about everything you do when you are learning to drive until you can eventually do it without thinking about it.

7 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Don’t think it has to be a football person. Just as long as it’s not Jake Humphrey or similar. 

Of the current football presenters, I think Mark Chapman is best to take over right now.

But it’s very likely IMO that Alex Scott will be given an opportunity. I don’t agree with that, but in the same way I wouldn’t want Martin Keown to do it. 

**** Chapman, Manu init.

Has to be our man Pearce. Only chance of us being on MOTD.

• Robin 1

32 minutes ago, David Brent said:

But how will she manage it all? What with reading the news, doing the weather forecast, Eurovision, Newsnight, Question Time, Panorama, Crufts, Chelsea flower show. Later with Jools Holland...

Are there no ends to this woman's talents?

Edited by AppyDAZE

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If the BBC were to go down the route of a female presenter like they probably will, then I'd look no further than Laura Woods. Absolutely outstanding. 

Infact I think her name should be right up there regardless of how the BBC define their shortlist. 

... and a good presenter too.

• Haha 2

A few years back my choice would be Jim Rosenthal - even better than Des Lyman in my view.

I can only assume anyone suggesting Clare Balding has their tongue firmly in their cheek.  She's on everything and ruined Wimbledon coverage.  If the Test card was still around the BBC would put her picture on it.

• Flames 1

On the topic of Lady pundits a big up to Karen Carney who was a regular pundit on DAZN Premier League coverage here in Canada land. Extremely knowledgeable and IMHO easy on the ear, very insightful.  Her experience and anecdotes based on playing the women's game worked seamlessly with the incidents from the particular men's match she was commenting on.

No idea if she could 'carry' a show as a presenter but personally think she does a great job as a pundit and columnist. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, ukneil said:

On the topic of Lady pundits a big up to Karen Carney who was a regular pundit on DAZN Premier League coverage here in Canada land. Extremely knowledgeable and IMHO easy on the ear, very insightful.  Her experience and anecdotes based on playing the women's game worked seamlessly with the incidents from the particular men's match she was commenting on.

No idea if she could 'carry' a show as a presenter but personally think she does a great job as a pundit and columnist. 

Don't know about her presenting skills but she knows her stuff.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Don't know about her presenting skills but she knows her stuff.

I'd say that Karen is certainly my fav of the women pundits.

Pretty laid back and doesn't try to talk the hind legs off a donkey.

Liked her as a player too.

Oh, the other one I like a lot on Skysports is Sue something,   she reports on games  and she is good.

Edit:  Smith

Edited by AppyDAZE

20 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Terry Logan?

Let's have 'em ...

Give us yer favourite Terrys.

No one is gonna top Mr. Cooper obviously, but let's see who comes in 2nd place

For me,  Mr. Chambers of XTC fame.

Used to hit the drums every bit as hard as you'd like to hit ol' Joey's face if you ever had the chance to.

The Terrys, keep 'em coming (a dying name)

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Let's have 'em ...

Used to hit the drums every bit as hard as you'd like to hit ol' Joey's face if you had the chance to.

Terry, keep 'em coming (a dying name)

Terry ******* (Viz)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Let's have 'em ...

Used to hit the drums every bit as hard as you'd like to hit ol' Joey's face if you ever had the chance to.

McCann

And Chocolate Orange 

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Let's have 'em ...

Terry and June.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Let's have 'em ...

Hatcher

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Mick chanon took five minutes to say gary lineeeeeeeeeekkkeerrrr. Imagine him commentating at international level with some pronouncing of name's! His good friend Mick Quinn was a good commentator

Is this Micky "Fox Paz" Quinn we're tsalking about  :laugh:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ralphindevon said:

Having seen a lot of posts for Laura Woods, a good presenter and probably gets lots of votes for other reasons, I was wondering who the equivalent male presenter is.

Maybe you’ve answered the question! 

Definitely not Paddy McGuinness!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Nobody has mentioned Jermaine Jenas, I thought the BBC were grooming him for that sort of role? He's obviously got the football credentials, but needed to do the anchor style work, that's why he does the One Show etc.

I was just about to write this. Clearly Jenas and by the time Linekar retires JJ will probably be ready.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Nobody has mentioned Jermaine Jenas, I thought the BBC were grooming him for that sort of role? He's obviously got the football credentials, but needed to do the anchor style work, that's why he does the One Show etc.

Not sure being groomed by the BBC is what anyone would want.

• Haha 10
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not sure being groomed by the BBC is what anyone would want.

Yes, poor choice of words. 

I like JJ though, seems smart enough and comfortable with a cross section of people. Played at the top level, shame his body wasn't up to it, but can talk from authority.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

If it is going to be a Woman then Gabby Logan is a great shout tbf.

Well ITV use Pougatch for both Football and Rugby. She is the best presenter, male or female and that is the point. Family connections to both sports. Former gymnast. 

51 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Well ITV use Pougatch for both Football and Rugby. She is the best presenter, male or female and that is the point. Family connections to both sports. Former gymnast. 

I find Pougatch very "Smashy and Nicey". Comes across as desperate to convince you that he's a funny guy who's best mates with the pros. Grates on me personally.

Logan is far more natural and comes across as genuinely wanting to present the sporting occasion to the viewer. She'd be a top choice.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, eardun said:

Whoever gets the gig, I hope people give them time. People forget how poor Lineker was when he started out  - very wooden - but he is clearly excellent now.

If it was Gabby Logan or a male equivalent such as Chappers they are already presenters and wouldn’t need time. It’s only an issue if you appoint an ex-footballer to the role.

On 07/01/2023 at 20:11, Numero Uno said:

It doesn't BUT the rub is that if everyone is equal and gender is irrelevant then people have just as much right to express an opinion that Alex Scott is shit at punditry as they do Lee Hendrie for example.

That's fine, if that's someone's opinion. But the OP said that he had a problem with women pundits

7 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

So it's not the fact that they're women, it's the presenters themselves? 

Gender is irrelevant. Gabby Logan is an excellent sports presenter but the majority of female football pundits are wooden. Emma Hayes is an exception - she very insightful and really knows her stuff.

18 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Give the job to Downsy.

If it gets him out of our club I think that's the best shout of all..............then we can move on from the current Births, Marriages and Deaths announcements at half time to something more akin to football.

• Like 1