IGNORED

Blackburn Rovers at home match thread

Jerseybean

Good point today IMO. Naismith looked culpable for their goal, Vyner made our goal and not a lot in between.

I’d like to see Bell’s ‘goal’ again because that looked very tight from where I was sat virtually right in line with it. He made an impact when he came on.

Nahki could’ve had a pen, but it was one of those that I’ve seen given rather than a stone-waller IMO. Thought he had a quiet game.

Sykes was anonymous and they’d done their homework on Pring to stop his marauding runs down the left. 

And as for Semenyo, I didn’t think he was at his best today. He couldn’t miss for his goal and followed in Vyner’s shot well, but he had two opportunities in each half that he slashed at wildly when a bit of composure to open up his body to have sight of goal on his preferred right foot was needed. Rob Newman was there today, maybe West Ham are about to show their hand. 

If anyone would said we’d take four points off Blackburn last summer, I’d have taken it. Not a lot between the two sides, although Dack was impressive for them. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

A great thing from today was the way the grass had been cut! The stripes lined up with the rugby markings which meant they were almost invisible. (Sorry if this has  already been mentioned as I’ve just skimmed through the thread) 

• Like 2

Satisfactory point overall, although I think their position in the table flatters them. Very average team each time I’ve seen them this season.

Defensively solid and created chances, it’s just a shame we couldn’t convert our chances. 

Sykes’ poorest performance since moving further up the field. He looked tired because he was struggling to get back at times to help Tanner and Vyner.

Semenyo was lively all game, he’ll be a big miss if he leaves this month.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Thought Wells was kept very quiet today, offered very little - not a criticism, just thought Blackburn did a job on him 

Thought Nakhi was his normal busy self - but Blackburn weren’t often cut open so he did a lot of his good work further back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

A great thing from today was the way the grass had been cut! The stripes lined up with the rugby markings which meant they were almost invisible. (Sorry if this has  already been mentioned as I’ve just skimmed through the thread) 

Perhaps our groundsman could pass on a few tips to the gas groundsman.     Oh hang on ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

We look solid enough but if this is what people are entertained by then **** me the bar is low 

Blackburn look extremely poor 

Being good and being entertained don’t necessarily go hand in hand.

Can you not see that sometimes teams cancel each other other…and enjoy a different kind of entertainment of watching a bit of a cagey game, seeing where a team might gain a small advantage that breaks the fact that two teams playing 433(ish), will see lots of passing lanes being blocked, hard for either side to get it forward.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Can you not see that sometimes teams cancel each other other…and enjoy a different kind of entertainment of watching a bit of a cagey game, seeing where a team might gain a small advantage that breaks the fact that two teams playing 433(ish), will see lots of passing lanes being blocked, hard for either side to get it forward.

Best of luck with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

Better team. They’re there for the taking. Both of their centre backs on bookings is huge. 

Thought Wharton (16) was very classy.

4 hours ago, cityexile said:

Not great, not rubbish. Looking the more likely a little, would say they have had the best chance. Hopefully we can nick it in the second half.

For those who watched on RTV / stream, was Tanner hauled over for BBD’s half volley over?  Wasn’t sure whether the ref looked like he was mouthing “I’d have given a f-k if he’d scored”???

Why do people find it so hard to say "well done Lino, great decision"...?

A tight one, especially in real time speed - but he was offside, just - so offside was correct.

Decent, solid performance today.

Happy enough with the draw, because the performance was decent.

2 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Offside just 

I think that's called "offside" then.

It's either on or off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

A massive point ,imo, every one counts at this end of the table and more positives on the pitch than negatives. Not sure why Naismith is quite so marmite as the team is overall better with him than without.

The fact that Semenyo scores is a bonus- however fortuitous it's just another career goal that get's the draw and point..... and we need the money.

The third time in recent weeks we’ve come from behind (today, Swansea cup, Coventry) having only done it once all season (Blackpool) up til then.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For those who watched on RTV / stream, was Tanner hauled over for BBD’s half volley over?  Wasn’t sure whether the ref looked like he was mouthing “I’d have given a f-k if he’d scored”???

…have to say I had to read that last bit twice…

51 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

"All but" isn't good enough. Like being "probably guilty", you give the benefit of the doubt.

The lino wasn't parallel. He was 10 yards behind play. 

He wasn’t…he was perfectly place….Cult of Nige says “Nige was wrong”!

6 minutes ago, DaveF said:

His younger brother Adam is supposed to be pretty special I think?

Ashley Phillips other of their youngsters who is supposed to be very promising.

Adam got schooled by Alex Scott in the away fixture! ???. Looks promising though.

Just now, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Indeed. I love it when we come from behind.

“We” ???

6 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

A tight one, especially in real time speed - but he was offside, just - so offside was correct.

It's either on or off. 

Do you say well done to the postman when he delivers your post?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From my position looked like he got a little nudge as he hit it???

That was my initial view but not seen it back…..looked like he got a nudge in the back

Re Bell disallowed goal - looked at the time to be offside and the “still” suggests that it was the correct decision

Edited by Loosey Boy

My take on the game . Blackburn were happy for us to have the ball to a certain extent. As soon as we did , they went to a back 5 worried about us getting behind them as that’s been a major source of goals for us . Tried to push us into midfield where they’d try to break on us but even though we frustrated ourselves  with some poor final balls , we were well in control without really creating anything first half. Second half the game seemed to open up , Alex Scott had a quiet opening 15minutes to the game but after that started to dictate. 
we really need to enjoy this lad. Early on the second half when he let a chip from the back four run across him but control & lob into antoines path was truly top class . He really could be the best player I’ve seen in a city shirt in my 48 years of watching us. 
didn’t see their goal coming but it was poor from our point of view . No pressure on the ball & kal let a player run beyond him for a pullback , good movement by Dack but a poor goal  . Woke us up though . Constant pressure without anything clear cut but Blackburn on the ropes . Until Zak maldini vyner strode into midfield , beating two players & unleashing a curling effort the keeper couldn’t hold , only pushing it out to our £120m rated striker Semenyo to pass the ball into the net. 
Condensed rest of the game . Definite pen , the refs a *** , just offside Sam . 

Just back after the game, my reflections….

Overall a draw was about right, there was not much between the two teams, they had a golden chance first half which BD blasted over and AS should have hit the target - at least - immediately after we conceded, we built some sustained pressure towards the end.

Negatives: Our dead ball delivery was poor throughout, we largely lacked a creative spark in midfield, thought NW was guilty of too many sloppy moments, we stood off them far too much in the build up to their goal, we were too pedestrian for large periods.

Positives: ZV looked accomplished and played with composure and authority, Scotty’s awareness and movement was class at times, there was a a good response to conceding and Sam Bell took his chance really well even though it counted for nothing.

In the end Blackburn we’re far more pleased to hear the final whistle than we were.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Overall a draw was about right, there was not much between the two teams, they had a golden chance first half which BD blasted over and AS should have hit the target - at least - immediately after we conceded, we built some sustained pressure towards the end.

Negatives: Our dead ball delivery was poor throughout, we largely lacked a creative spark in midfield, thought NW was guilty of too many sloppy moments, we stood off them far too much in the build up to their goal, we were too pedestrian for large periods.

Positives: ZV looked accomplished and played with composure and authority, Scotty’s awareness and movement was class at times, there was a a good response to conceding and Sam Bell took his chance really well even though it counted for nothing.

In the end Blackburn we’re far more pleased to hear the final whistle than we were.

Hope you had a good catch up with your old mates Jerseybean

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bengalcub said:

Why do we persist with Naismith taking nearly every set piece ? 
His delivery is terrible rarely beats the first man , James equally bad.

We came close to scoring from one from Naismith second half, and one from James (first half) when it was cleared back out to him.  The number of goals from corners is statistically very small, it really is a fine margin hitting it in with pace at just the right height to clear the first man.  We saw how many times Martin and Diedhiou cleared balls in a similar vain.

I’d be quite happy to see them chip balls in for our biggies to get a run at, but that’s statistically no better either, would just feel less frustrating.

9 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

It's actually become embarrassing that we have nobody who can take a decent set piece. Surely it's not that difficult a task for a professional footballer 

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

Do you say well done to the postman when he delivers your post?

I don’t say anything to my postman, but I should tell him to stop dropping rubber bands on my drive. Does anyone else have this problem? 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Super said:

It's actually become embarrassing that we have nobody who can take a decent set piece. Surely it's not that difficult a task for a professional footballer 

It’s obviously about what they are asked to do, every professional footballer - in fact even every amateur level corner taker I know can hit the box. It must be about what target/ area they are asked to hit that means a few go awry. I refuse to believe that Naismith or James are worse from a dead ball than myself

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, bengalcub said:

I'm sure that when Naismith first arrived some of his free kicks were decent and 

led to a couple of goals. Whether his injury has affected his kicking I don't know?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He wasn’t…he was perfectly place….Cult of Nige says “Nige was wrong”!

Perhaps, but that defender two along from Bell has his leg sticking waaaay into the box and one still taken after the ball was kicked and from an angle nearer to Bell than that part of the box does NOT prove it for me. And the lino wasn't parallel. He wasn't looking down the line, although he might not have been yards away as NP stated.

It was tight and for anyone to say they are 1000000% sure - well, unless they've brought a theodolite to the game - they are exaggerating.  You give goals unless you know they are offside. 

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

It's either on or off. 

Absolutely. 
It was offside and was a fantastic call by the lino - who was in exactly the correct place and not behind play as Nige suggested. 
I was in line with it and said on another thread that Bell was definitely beyond the full back but I wasn’t sure if there was a defender in the middle playing him on as I was looking at the pass at the time. There nearly was, but it wasn’t. Lino got it spot on. Sadly. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Because we disagree.  You know that thing about football being a game of opinions? Well, that.

One picture taken from an angle that is going to make the nearest player (ie: Bell) look further advanced, does not prove anything for me. 

If he was offside, it was by millimetres but I don't think the linesman could possibly have known that with enough certainty to flag.

• Like 1

I was really happy with that performance and I think the manager, coaches and players deserve a lot of appreciation for the performances in 2023 so far.

To dominate a top team again is very pleasing and most of our lads put a good shift in.

I loved the magic feet from Scott to get Wharton booked. Class.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

In the end Blackburn were far more pleased to hear the final whistle than we were.

Good summary of the game.  I would just add to the positives that Semenyo looked a real threat all game, held the ball up well, make some great runs and got our goal.  Without him our attack was toothless.  Nakhi must have put his boots on the wrong way round because his link up play was poor, and unfortunately Sykes looked out of his depth today.  Everything good up front went through Semenyo, best player on the pitch for me today, closely followed by Zak.  Midfield 3 did a decent job of controlling the game after they had scored, and Atkinson had another solid game at the back.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Absolutely . I just thought both teams looked very poor in the final third in the first half. I just thought we passed the ball so slowly - and don’t even get me started on the final ball and the set pieces into the box .

The few times we did break - the players who broke didn’t  look up. Both Semenyo and Atkinson were guilty of this . Blackburn’s goal for example - lad broke into the box, looked up and played a pass into Dack. Lovely goal to be fair. We just didn’t have that composure at all at 0-0

Second half much better. It took going  1-0 down to get us going but we actually started playing some decent stuff. We showed our  pace going forward and our passing was quicker, and it caused them all sorts of issues 

Thought Bell changed the game for us. Sykes was terrible today and Bell just seemed busier when he came on 

Over the whole 90 minutes  a much better performance from us though and one to build on for sure. I really don’t rate Blackburn though and can’t believe they are in and around the top 6

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Thought Bell changed the game for us. Sykes was terrible today and Bell just seemed busier when he came on 

Bit harsh on Sykes, it was a different game when Bell came on TBF.
When Bell came on, we had to force the game a bit and Bell played a more attacking role . Not saying that Sykes was brilliant but I thought he did ok and did a lot of work tracking back. 

On a side note, at the time I thought Bell was onside for his "Goal" , I've looked again and it's tight. TBF the Lino is in a decent position and as Bell is closest you can see why he gave it, too tight to say he was wrong. 

1246991521_Screenshot2023-01-22at07_28_06.thumb.png.a160106bb1c00c1eea4a98ecdc791825.png

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

It's not the target but the pace. It's very easy to cut under a ball ans float it to the edge of the six yard box. Trouble is, that's a piece of piss for pro defenders to clear/keepers to claim. 

Seeing as 99% of amateur keepers seem to be short fat and invariably bald, there's little to no danger of them waddling 6 yards and jumping 6 and a half feet in the air to punch the ball.

The comparison between amateur football and the pro game is daft. They're not even close to being the same sport. 

Generally speaking, a pro corner is taken with as much pace/power as an amateur striker shooting at goal. The margin of error is tiny. 

So the "I can do it, why can't they" thing that so many people peddle... you and I could probably hit 1 in a 100 at the desired pace, trajectory and direction. And then you've got to hope the defenders haven't blocked the targets run and the Keeper hasn't gambled correctly on the type of ball you're playing in.

Understand and agree with you about the pace in the professional game. But to consistently reach first defender at about shoulder height as Naismith did all afternoon, totally wipes out any benefit of a corner kick.

So a floater might actually be of more benefit in the way that a fast bowlers slower delivery is often more effective than a super quick one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leveller said:

I don’t know how anybody can call that clear. Yes he’s behind his marker but I can’t tell - from this angle- whether the other defenders are playing him on.

Well, I know somebody who was directly in line with it, standing right next to the touchline, with an absolutely perfect view. 
The linesman. 
It’s 100% the correct call. We’ve not been had. 
Pearson’s comments don’t help the situation. Claiming that the lino was behind play when he was bang in line and had the best view in the house, and then mimicking the old ‘spectacles’ at the lino was disrespectful and the sort of thing we’ve seen players booked for in the past. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Understand and agree with you about the pace in the professional game. But to consistently reach first defender at about shoulder height as Naismith did all afternoon, totally wipes out any benefit of a corner kick.

So a floater might actually be of more benefit in the way that a fast bowlers slower delivery is often more effective than a super quick one.

Needs mixing up but I don’t like slow short corners which come to nothing most of the time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Bit harsh on Sykes, it was a different game when Bell came on TBF.
When Bell came on, we had to force the game a bit and Bell played a more attacking role . Not saying that Sykes was brilliant but I thought he did ok and did a lot of work tracking back. 

On a side note, at the time I thought Bell was onside for his "Goal" , I've looked again and it's tight. TBF the Lino is in a decent position and as Bell is closest you can see why he gave it, too tight to say he was wrong. 

1246991521_Screenshot2023-01-22at07_28_06.thumb.png.a160106bb1c00c1eea4a98ecdc791825.png

Granted it may be a bit harsh and do agree it was a different type of game. We just upped the pace as a collective once Bell came on 

Really close call but I can certainly see why the linesman gave it. I personally think he looks just off 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Well, I know somebody who was directly in line with it, standing right next to the touchline, with an absolutely perfect view. 
The linesman. 
It’s 100% the correct call. We’ve not been had. 
Pearson’s comments don’t help the situation. Claiming that the lino was behind play when he was bang in line and had the best view in the house, and then mimicking the old ‘spectacles’ at the lino was disrespectful and the sort of thing we’ve seen players booked for in the past. 

Of course, if you were the Manager of a team that is close to breaking the record for time without a penalty awarded and in that time had some right stonewallers turned down and with some people putting pressure on your to get results and others with an agenda against you whatever you do and say you definitely wouldn’t put a single word out of place would you?

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We came close to scoring from one from Naismith second half, and one from James (first half) when it was cleared back out to him.  The number of goals from corners is statistically very small, it really is a fine margin hitting it in with pace at just the right height to clear the first man.  We saw how many times Martin and Diedhiou cleared balls in a similar vain.

I’d be quite happy to see them chip balls in for our biggies to get a run at, but that’s statistically no better either, would just feel less frustrating.

Yeah I remember Pochettino saying he couldn’t understand in England why everyone gets so excited by a corner as statistically the number of goals from corners is minimal.

unless you go back to stoke of the Pulis era when corners and the long throw caused mayhem for other teams.

• Like 1

The offside on Bell was one of the few things that linesman did get right. He got so many of the throw-in calls wrong. He just stood with his flag by his side and waited either for the referee to indicate or which ever team remonstrated more (usually Blackburn) that it was their throw-in. After a really effective and consistent linesman in front of the Lansdown last week against Birmingham, this one was stealing a living as an “assistant referee”.

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Of course, if you were the Manager of a team that is close to breaking the record for time without a penalty awarded and in that time had some right stonewallers turned down and with some people putting pressure on your to get results and others with an agenda against you whatever you do and say you definitely wouldn’t put a single word out of place would you?

But we’re not talking about the penalty situation. We’re talking about an offside, which was the correct decision, and where the manager made it quite clear that he thought the lino was well behind play when he wasn’t, and mimicked wearing glasses to him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Harry said:

But we’re not talking about the penalty situation. We’re talking about an offside, which was the correct decision, and where the manager made it quite clear that he thought the lino was well behind play when he wasn’t, and mimicked wearing glasses to him. 

I’m sure one is feeding into the other. Having never had a few thousand people shouting abuse at my work or writing about it on the internet I couldn’t honestly say whether I would make the odd error of judgement or not tbh……