IGNORED

Nige quite happy today

HappyClapper

1 hour ago, ChubStixx said:

He was doing some interesting gesturing to somebody whilst the game was ongoing. Potentially to the Blackburn manager. What was that all about?

He was pointing out where their throw in should be taken from if its the same incident I'm thinking of. Their manager was moaning that the ref told their player to go further back. Looked lighthearted from Nige to me.

• Like 1

He was certainly at his most miserable best on the radio Bristol interview after the game. I always look forward to listening to what he has to say about the game when I'm driving home,  but sometimes like yesterday he just doesn't want to play.

By the way I am a Pearson fan before anyone starts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mike Stone said:

He was certainly at his most miserable best on the radio Bristol interview after the game. I always look forward to listening to what he has to say about the game when I'm driving home,  but sometimes like yesterday he just doesn't want to play.

Agree. He seems to resent every question, no matter how mild and friendly the interviewer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

It can’t be easy having to answer the same questions after every game, unless you like love the sound of your own voice and taking nonsense like LJ

You can tell Nige thinks ‘here we go again’ when it comes to talking to the press, irrespective of if we are playing well or not i think he still has this same thought process..

As you said with the same inane questions he gets asked week in week out, who can blame him - it must be tedious as F.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mike Stone said:

He was very adamant it was a penalty, similarly thought the linesman was very out of line. Although I thought Bell was just off

2 hours ago, Mike Stone said:

He was certainly at his most miserable best on the radio Bristol interview after the game. I always look forward to listening to what he has to say about the game when I'm driving home, but sometimes like yesterday he just doesn't want to play.

He is different with the club media department.  I thought he gave Radio Bristol short shrift.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

It can’t be easy having to answer the same questions after every game, unless you like love the sound of your own voice and taking nonsense like LJ

Bless him.....I'd take £1M a year to put up with repeat questions.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

If you’re as drunk as I am the robin on the interviewer’s mic looks like the media team have done a bad job of photoshopping a robin logo on to Nige’s shirt ?

Ha ha - I noticed exactly the same thing! Not drunk at all, but I couldn’t  work out why the robin logo on his shirt kept moving! 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bris Red said:

You can tell Nige thinks ‘here we go again’ when it comes to talking to the press, irrespective of if we are playing well or not i think he still has this same thought process..

As you said with the same inane questions he gets asked week in week out, who can blame him - it must be tedious as F.

But he sounds annoyed even if the interviewer just asks him how he saw the game!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

It's part of the job of a manager of a football club. If you don't like talking to the media after games, do not do the job.

The fans, naturally, want to hear your view of the game and interviewers give you a platform to do this. Even if you consider the questions silly or obvious, you can deal with them courteously: You, after all, are a highly paid football professional and they are reporters, you'll know more and sometimes have to explain things simply. Basically, if they - with their job to do - treat you courteously, there is no excuse for you not to do likewise back. 

Football is ABOUT fans, we are its lifeblood, which is why it is important for the guy making matchday decisions to talk through the game, give snippets of info on the players, and generally discuss how things went in his view.  Explaining it honestly and thoughtfully sounds much better than becoming hyper-defensive or displaying an attitude. 

• Flames 2

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Few of the ‘Nige out’ brigade on here have nothing else to criticise at the moment and so are now wading in on an interview with the local radio station. Whatever floats your boat I guess! 

It's not uncommon for interviews on local radio to be the subject of pre and post match discussions on here.

And suggesting that NP can be quite hard work sometimes when he's being interviewed is hardly in "Nige out" territory.

Hard to believe sometimes on here, I know, but the world and the people in it aren't always black and white. And football managers don't have to be either God's gift or the devil incarnate. There are some things they are better at than others. There are some things they come across better at than others. And everyone's got their own perception of what they are. In NPs case, he can be fascinating to listen to at times. But on occasions when he puts his mind to it he can be bloody difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Few of the ‘Nige out’ brigade on here have nothing else to criticise at the moment and so are now wading in on an interview with the local radio station. Whatever floats your boat I guess! 

You might not be completely wrong there. 

However he is a bit abrasive quite a lot. See it less in the pre match now. 

whatever happened to the McGregor guy. I always got the impression he rubbed Pearson and now he’s the forgotten journo!?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, italian dave said:

It's not uncommon for interviews on local radio to be the subject of pre and post match discussions on here.

And suggesting that NP can be quite hard work sometimes when he's being interviewed is hardly in "Nige out" territory.

Hard to believe sometimes on here, I know, but the world and the people in it aren't always black and white. And football managers don't have to be either God's gift or the devil incarnate. There are some things they are better at than others. There are some things they come across better at than others. And everyone's got their own perception of what they are. In NPs case, he can be fascinating to listen to at times. But on occasions when he puts his mind to it he can be bloody difficult.

Appreciate the behavioural science lesson Dave, but I know Nige can be a stubborn so and so. As does anyone who follows football to any nth of a degree.  
With that in mind, using a perfectly fine local radio interview, where his demeanour was clearly slightly pissed off due to a couple of reffing decisions, as a new stick to beat him with, as the ‘Nige out’ posters on this thread are, is just very amusing and strikes me as slightly desperate.  
Never mind though, I’m sure we will lose again soon and they can get back to berating the actual football for a while.    

47 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

You might not be completely wrong there. 

However he is a bit abrasive quite a lot. See it less in the pre match now. 

whatever happened to the McGregor guy. I always got the impression he rubbed Pearson and now he’s the forgotten journo!?

Gregor left the Post and went freelance a year or so ago. He's since done bits for a few other outlets, mainly Bristol World.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lenred said:

Appreciate the behavioural science lesson Dave, but I know Nige can be a stubborn so and so. As does anyone who follows football to any nth of a degree.  
With that in mind, using a perfectly fine local radio interview, where his demeanour was clearly slightly pissed off due to a couple of reffing decisions, as a new stick to beat him with, as the ‘Nige out’ posters on this thread are, is just very amusing and strikes me as slightly desperate.  
Never mind though, I’m sure we will lose again soon and they can get back to berating the actual football for a while.    

?You're welcome!! Sorry if it was a bit OTT - I know there are a few for whom he can do no right (just as there are a few for whom he can do no wrong) but I just felt it wasn't just them having a go for the sake of it - and he was reverting to type a bit! I went through a spell where I just stopped listening to him, because he seemed to have no other objective than to be difficult! Recently I've listened a bit more and enjoyed it. 

Oh we'll lose again, for sure (and NP will get all touchy again!), and I'm sure you're right that there will be some waiting to pounce. But in that scenario it's reasonable to put to them that we win some, lose some - again not black and white.

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

Makes me smile to think how angry they must be that we've strung some good performances together. 

Do you honestly believe that there are supporters who would get angry after good performances?  That’s exactly the sort of ridiculous comment I’d expect from gas heads…

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist

10 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Bless him.....I'd take £1M a year to put up with repeat questions.

Exactly. If the questions are always the same it should be easy enough for him to go full autopilot and just trot out standard answers. Easy work if you can get it.

5 hours ago, lenred said:

A few people are mildly critical of NP as being a bit grumpy and you characterise them as being the Nige out brigade? Why exactly? Which of them/us has said we want him out?

I’ve never said I want him out. But I still find him a bit grumpy. Is he immune from any criticism at all?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Are people like "Top Robin" and Mark Carter more interested in their own ego and being proven "right" than Bristol City?

Absolutely. 

Anyone with an ounce of pragmatism would be able to see that. 

Everyone wants City to succeed, but opinions differ as to how best to achieve that.  Nothing wrong with that.  Unfortunately it appears that some of those who strongly support Pearson are unwilling to listen to any other points of view and resort to cheap jibes.  I have mixed feelings about Pearson, so not surprised (or bothered) that opinions about him vary.

It’s hardly the first time he’s been criticised for his handling of the media, after all.  It was thought to be a significant factor in him losing a previous job if I remember rightly.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Everyone wants City to succeed, but opinions differ as to how best to achieve that.  Nothing wrong with that.  Unfortunately it appears that some of those who strongly support Pearson are unwilling to listen to any other points of view and resort to cheap jibes.  I have mixed feelings about Pearson, so not surprised (or bothered) that opinions about him vary.

It’s hardly the first time he’s been criticised for his handling of the media, after all.  It was thought to be a significant factor in him losing a previous job if I remember rightly.

Presume you’re referring to me.  If so, can you point out where I’m ‘unwilling to listen to other points of view’ and where I’ve used a ‘cheap jibe’.  Ta. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

Personally, I couldn’t see anything wrong with this interview at all. Yes, NIge was clearly frustrated not having won the game, but I thought he was perfectly respectful to the interviewer throughout and answered all his questions politely.

I know, I was surprised this thread descended from Nige was happy to Nige was a miserable sod.

24 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

Personally, I couldn’t see anything wrong with this interview at all. Yes, NIge was clearly frustrated not having won the game, but I thought he was perfectly respectful to the interviewer throughout and answered all his questions politely.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know, I was surprised this thread descended from Nige was happy to Nige was a miserable sod.

In fairness, I think it got there via his Radio Bristol interview! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Have you actually just leapt to the defense of a consistent troll who in this very thread refers to the managers paypacket as a jibe and then accused others of "cheap jibes" for pointing out the desperation of said poster? 

Behave. 

Ah, the Pearson out are reasonable trope. Wonderful. Think I'm just gonna pop you on ignore, boss. Nothing to be gained from this. 

The thing is, there are half a dozen posters who’ve suggested that NP might not be perfect. Not just one consistent troll. Indeed, posters who are anything but blinkered  “Nige out” advocates. And one of them, who’s one of the more consistently balanced posters on here, you’ve just put on ignore.

You’re in danger of doing exactly what you accuse the “Nige out” brigade of doing, only from the opposite end of the spectrum - the ‘Nige can do no wrong’ brigade. 

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I listened to that on the way home…At worst a frustrated Nige, but hardly rude.

He has been rude though on numerous occasions. Brusque, dismissive and even offensive to reporters just trying to do their job and let the man have his say to the fans who pay money to watch the teams he puts out.

As I've been in those guys shoes, the lack of courtesy does rankle with me, somewhat. 

Has nothing to do with his management ability, just I'd rather he dropped the paranoid the 'media are out to get me' tone that seems to lurk at some of his press appearances. 

Personally I always thought Pearson was the right man to clean up the mess made by <insert several initials here> and my view has not changed. 

We have players from our academy some of whom have huge value and most of the nuts pay packers for sweet nothing have gone!

While the bloke is developing a team, largely from our own academy, we have not got the rub of the green to put it mildly with fouls in the area or often on the field. Saturday being an excellent example. However we are currently competitive and in the fourth round of the cup. 

My own comment earlier was that he has become a lot less abrasive pre match, but can come off as that post match! In view of what I’ve outlined I would suggest the bloke has a passion for the role and realizes like the rest of us that we too often do not get our due. 

I do wonder if he somehow thinks there is an issue with him that is reflected on the field, who knows! However, he was not rude , he was a bit pissed off particularly about the Peno and the offside, but to be frank I sometimes think part of the problem with our club is that supporters are not pissed off enough and this semi ambivalence is responsible for 43 years of competitive failure. 

Anyone ask the interviewer what he felt about it? Might be a good idea! If he wasn’t offended then perhaps some should be less offended for him and more offended that our players do not get their due consistently  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HitchinRed said:

His frustration at not winning games seems to be quite a recurrent theme. He needs to find a way

Edited by AshtonGreat
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Personally I always thought Pearson was the right man to clean up the mess made by <insert several initials here> and my view has not changed. 

We have players from our academy some of whom have huge value and most of the nuts pay packers for sweet nothing have gone!

While the bloke is developing a team, largely from our own academy, we have not got the rub of the green to put it mildly with fouls in the area or often on the field. Saturday being an excellent example. However we are currently competitive and in the fourth round of the cup. 

My own comment earlier was that he has become a lot less abrasive pre match, but can come off as that post match! In view of what I’ve outlined I would suggest the bloke has a passion for the role and realizes like the rest of us that we too often do not get our due. 

I do wonder if he somehow thinks there is an issue with him that is reflected on the field, who knows! However, he was not rude , he was a bit pissed off particularly about the Peno and the offside, but to be frank I sometimes think part of the problem with our club is that supporters are not pissed off enough and this semi ambivalence is responsible for 43 years of competitive failure. 

Anyone ask the interviewer what he felt about it? Might be a good idea! If he wasn’t offended then perhaps some should be less offended for him and more offended that our players do not get their due consistently  

Reference your penultimate paragraph.

Go somewhere like Stoke, Derby, Sheff U and plenty of other clubs in Midlands and North. If they don't get clear free kicks or penalties, for very obvious fouls, they will give the referee / lines hell for the remainder of the game and almost scare the officials into giving a dodgy one later in the match.

We're so used to not even getting the clear cut ones that we only make any noise about it for the next ten seconds.

I've seen this so many times over a lifetime of away games. I've seen refs and linesmen visibly shaking in fear. And along comes the penalty or free kick to shut the crowd up.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I know journalists find him a difficult person to deal with.  This has been a recurrent theme throughout his career, not just at City.

I don't think he's generally abrassive, but he does need to understand that reporters are just doing a job the same as he is. By publicising the club and its games, they engender interest in it and the sport generally. 

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Reference your penultimate paragraph.

Go somewhere like Stoke, Derby, Sheff U and plenty of other clubs in Midlands and North. If they don't get clear free kicks or penalties, for very obvious fouls, they will give the referee/ lines he'll for the remainder of the game and almost scare the officials into giving a dodgy one later in the match.

We're so used to not even getting the clear cut ones that we only make any noise about it for the next ten seconds.

I've seen this so many times over a lifetime of away games. I've seen refs and linesmen visibly shaking in fear. And along comes the penalty or free kick to shut the crowd up.

Exactly. But this non phenomena at Ashton Gate has been an issue I think from 82. It’s as if there is a culture of we are lucky to be here don’t make too much noise, about anything!

Pearson makes noise and tells it like it is, to the point of telling us how teams used to like to come to nice little Ashton Gate. 

It feels like a culture change is underway much deeper than many comprehend. The fact that our away supporters is sooo much more vociferous than we are at home. The fact we don’t have noisy home support behind a goal and yet give that to away supporters is nuts and one of the few things Johnson got right. 

• Robin 1

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

I know journalists find him a difficult person to deal with.  This has been a recurrent theme throughout his career, not just at City.

I don't think he's generally abrassive, but he does need to understand that reporters are just doing a job the same as he is. By publicising the club and its games, they engender interest in it and the sport generally. 

I’m not sure mildly abrasive interviews and pointing out decisions that went against us again and again and particularly, in this case, ask what did you think about the penalty (?) will stop any new interest in the club! But hey you may be right.

“Dad I don’t want to go to the football because that horrible Mr Pearson was beastly to the nice journalist”

Yes I know that last bit was glib, but we maybe living on different planets. 

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

It’s interesting you ask that.  When Ali Durden interviewed Nige post the match where he came out and said the stuff about Atkinson / King / Trust, @3 Peaps In A PodCasthad Ali on their pod that evening / following morning.  He took no offence whatsoever, didn’t find Nige rude, went on to add that he hadn’t interviewed him that often, so hadn’t built a rapport, but when he’s been up at the RHPC he mentioned how fondly everyone thinks of Nige.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

I’m not sure mildly abrasive interviews and pointing out decisions that went against us again and again and particularly, in this case, ask what did you think about the penalty (?) will stop any new interest in the club! But hey you may be right.

“Dad I don’t want to go to the football because that horrible Mr Pearson was beastly to the nice journalist”

Yes I know that last bit was glib, but we maybe living on different planets. 

I didn't say his occasional rudeness to journalists will stop attendances. There are lots of successful but ignorant sportsmen.  It doesn't engender much sympathy though when things go wrong for them however. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s interesting you ask that.  When Ali Durden interviewed Nige post the match where he came out and said the stuff about Atkinson / King / Trust, @3 Peaps In A PodCasthad Ali on their pod that evening / following morning.  He took no offence whatsoever, didn’t find Nige rude, went on to add that he hadn’t interviewed him that often, so hadn’t built a rapport, but when he’s been up at the RHPC he mentioned how fondly everyone thinks of Nige.

I think you'll find that no one who has to work in an ongoing situation with a manager and a club would criticise the media skills of him and them in public.  It would be professional suicide. 

Just now, Davefevs said:

Exactly! I really do wish some were not as soft and offended as they are! 

Durden is a professional and part of the interview is the way it’s made and responded to. The fact we are talking about it on here means Durden got the required result. 

——

IMO We are a soft ass club, which is reflected in our home support and quite a lot on here. Where we were two years ago was in many ways a reflection of this. Would people prefer bullshit bingo on radio Brizz at 5oc on a Saturday. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly. But this non phenomena at Ashton Gate has been an issue I think from 82. It’s as if there is a culture of we are lucky to be here don’t make too much noise, about anything!

Pearson makes noise and tells it like it is, to the point of telling us how teams used to like to come to nice little Ashton Gate. 

It feels like a culture change is underway much deeper than many comprehend. The fact that our away supporters is sooo much more vociferous than we are at home. The fact we don’t have noisy home support behind a goal and yet give that to away supporters is nuts and one of the few things Johnson got right. 

Yes again. Prior to 1982, IMO we were much more noisy than since. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I didn't say his occasional rudeness to journalists will stop attendances. There are lots of successful but ignorant sportsmen.  It doesn't engender much sympathy though when things go wrong for them however. 

You said as above. Apparently declined interest will be reflected in Pearson’s interviews “in it” (Bristol City FC or am I wrong?) and sport in general. 

Your word was ignorant. I didn’t see anything ignorant on any interview he’s done in fact he has been pretty accurate and knowledgeable in all his interviews. Durden likes him and has no problem with him as such I am  not so sure who we are referring to in your term sympathy when things go wrong (not sure what that means) I guess yours. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

You said as above. Apparently declined interest will be reflected in Pearson’s interviews “in it” (Bristol City FC or am I wrong?) and sport in general. 

Your word was ignorant. I didn’t see anything ignorant on any interview he’s done in fact he has been pretty accurate and knowledgeable in all his interviews. Durden likes him and has no problem with him as such I am  not so sure who we are referring to in your term sympathy when things go wrong (not sure what that means) I guess yours. 

I think assuming journalists like him is a very big leap and one you are making without knowing what those in the media actually think.

Of course, individual interviews do not stop people going to matches, but the fact that football is featured in the media very extensively and has been since its inception, is one of the things that helped the sport to grow.  Reporters today are part of that symbiotic relationship with the sport. They engender interest in it. Without fail, they are fans who like writing about football. 

In the big picture, it's a very minor gripe about Pearson. His main job is to get the team to perform successfully and (as you've said) build a continuing culture here that can sustain success and help a relatively small club compete against some much wealthier adversaries. 

I didn't hear his post-match thoughts on R Bris, so here I'm talking about some other occasions where I felt he let professionalism slip and was discourteous to reporters doing their job.  I worked in the industry, so perhaps I am more disappointed when managers cannot be respectful. 

18 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think assuming journalists like him is a very big leap and one you are making without knowing what those in the media actually think.

Of course, individual interviews do not stop people going to matches, but the fact that football is featured in the media very extensively and has been since its inception, is one of the things that helped the sport to grow.  Reporters today are part of that symbiotic relationship with the sport. They engender interest in it. Without fail, they are fans who like writing about football. 

In the big picture, it's a very minor gripe about Pearson. His main job is to get the team to perform successfully and (as you've said) build a continuing culture here that can sustain success and help a relatively small club compete against some much wealthier adversaries. 

I didn't hear his post-match thoughts on R Bris, so here I'm talking about some other occasions where I felt he let professionalism slip and was discourteous to reporters doing their job.  I worked in the industry, so perhaps I am more disappointed when managers cannot be respectful. 

A friend has asked Messrs Twentyman and Durden if they would like to comment on sound of the City tonight.!

We will see. 

Your comment in your last sentence “disappointed when managers can not be respectful” are again your words. I don’t see or hear disrespect. But of course I’m not in your head, although it seems like the narrative of one or two. 

20 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Are you equally as disappointed when journalist hound managers out of their positions? Sounds an arsey question but not meant to be - I’m interested as surely it’s a two way street and gunning for people to be sacked is not respectful? 

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

A friend has asked Messrs Twentyman and Durden if they would like to comment on sound of the City tonight.!

We will see. 

Your comment in your last sentence “disappointed when managers can not be respectful” are again your words. I don’t see or hear disrespect. But of course I’m not in your head, although it seems like the narrative of one or two. 

7 minutes ago, lenred said:

Are you equally as disappointed when journalist hound managers out of their positions? Sounds an arsey question but not meant to be - I’m interested as surely it’s a two way street and gunning for people to be sacked is not respectful? 

Lovely that you identify so strongly with the man that I literally cannot offer the slightest criticism of him without getting this sort of response.

Good job I didn't get started on my opinions of those gilets he wears.  :laughcont:

I'll leave you with three thoughts: a local journalist doing a public broadcast is never going to say "I find so-and-so difficult and a bit rude and patronising" unless said individual has left their local club and maybe even retired. It just will never happen. You have to work with the guy. You cannot fall out while he's in his job. Saying "I have yet to establish a rapport" but guys who work with him in the game like him is NOT the same as saying you personally like him. I think those words were quite carefully chosen.

Secondly, managers get sacked for all sorts of reasons but never in my experience because they are hounded out by journalists. Most are sacked because they lose lots of games. Journalists would be remiss if they failed to mention crowd disquiet, demonstrations etc, as they did when there were widespread LJ out feeling. In that case, I think Lee was given an opportunity to give his thoughts on them, as was Steve Lansdown. I'm unaware of any "hounding" of Nigel by the press here, only in social media by fans. Do you have an example of an "arsey" comment he has had to endure, Len?

Thirdly, just to remind you of this: 

46 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It isn't part of a Pearson-out agenda. He'll stand or fall on his record, not on his professionalism in dealing with reporters. I hope we continue seeing signs of improvement on the pitch. 

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Lovely that you identify so strongly with the man that I literally cannot offer the slightest criticism of him without getting this sort of response.

Good job I didn't get started on my opinions of those gilets he wears.  :laughcont:

I'll leave you with three thoughts: a local journalist doing a public broadcast is never going to say "I find so-and-so difficult and a bit rude and patronising" unless said individual has left their local club and maybe even retired. It just will never happen. You have to work with the guy. You cannot fall out while he's in his job. Saying "I have yet to establish a rapport" but guys who work with him in the game like him is NOT the same as saying you personally like him. I think those words were quite carefully chosen.

Secondly, managers get sacked for all sorts of reasons but never in my experience because they are hounded out by journalists. Most are sacked because they lose lots of games. Journalists would be remiss if they failed to mention crowd disquiet, demonstrations etc, as they did when there were widespread LJ out feeling. In that case, I think Lee was given an opportunity to give his thoughts on them, as was Steve Lansdown. I'm unaware of any "hounding" of Nigel by the press here, only in social media by fans. Do you have an example of an "arsey" comment he has had to endure, Len?

It isn't part of a Pearson-out agenda. He'll stand or fall on his record, not on his professionalism in dealing with reporters. I hope we continue seeing signs of improvement on the pitch. 

What do you mean this sort of response! Free speech is a two way street. You made your comments I made mine on what you said.

Didn’t you quote me first?

Edited by REDOXO

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

You seem quite offended. No offence is intended. 

You said this sort of response referring to me. (I don’t speak for anyone else) The inference is clear. My responses were fine. 

Offended again is your word!

Edited by REDOXO

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

You said this sort of response referring to me. (I don’t speak for anyone else) The inference is clear. My responses were fine. 

Offended again is your word!

:dunno:

Don't know what to say RO. We usually agree on stuff.

I just made observations based on how I'd feel if someone spoke to me as Pearson has - at times - spoken to journalists. Being from the industry, I gave my background tuppence-worth on how that's received by those still working in it. 

FWIW I actually think his answers are usually quite illuminating and thoughtful. He just needs to be a bit less abrasive delivering them. 

:dunno:

Don't know what to say RO. We usually agree on stuff.

I just made observations based on how I'd feel if someone spoke to me as Pearson has - at times - spoken to journalists. Being from the industry, I gave my background tuppence-worth on how that's received by those still working in it. 

FWIW I actually think his answers are usually quite illuminating and thoughtful. He just needs to be a bit less abrasive delivering them. 

I’m good with it. I gave mine too. 

Not worth tuppence mind you!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not sure if all or part of your reply was in response to me but my question wasn’t in relation to NP or any other City manager per se, but in general . I thought I had made that clear in my question but apologies if not.  For example Eddie Jones was clearly hounded out by journalists at The Times. Taylor, Robson, Hoddle clearly hounded out of the England job.   Roy Hodgson clearly hounded out of Liverpool and England. These are off the top of my head and I’m sure I could think of more.  Yea it’s a results business, but some journalists clearly hold agendas in some circumstances - it’s good for circulation I’d imagine.   So I’m wondering if ‘respect’ is just a one way street. ps Re the arsey comment - that was to clarify my question to you was not meant to you in an antagonistic / arsey manner. Nothing about NP! 

Edited by lenred

Just now, lenred said:

Not sure if all or part of your reply was in response to me but my question wasn’t in relation to NP or any other City manager per se, but in general . I thought I had made that clear in my question but apologies if not.  For example Eddie Jones was clearly hounded out by journalists at The Times. Taylor, Robson, Hoddle clearly hounded out of the England job.   Roy Hodgson clearly hounded out of Liverpool and England. These are off the top of my head.  Journalists clearly hold agendas in some circumstances - it’s good for circulation I’d image.   

If they'd been successful*, they'd not have lost their jobs. No owner, or for that matter the idiots of the FA and RFU, has ever said "This guy is doing really well for me, but a journalist doesn't like him, so I'm going to fire him."

Tabloid back pages are a law unto themselves, but even they aren't what cost the people you mentioned their jobs. 

* OK, so a bit different with Hoddle as he was sacked for being a bit mad. Papers merely reported on what he'd said, I can't remember them actively campaigning for his dismissal. Speaking personally, I feel the FA overreacted, but other people suggest they used the disability thing because there was other disquiet over his tenure. 

If they'd been successful*, they'd not have lost their jobs. No owner, or for that matter the idiots of the FA and RFU, has ever said "This guy is doing really well for me, but a journalist doesn't like him, so I'm going to fire him."

Tabloid back pages are a law unto themselves, but even they aren't what cost the people you mentioned their jobs. 

* OK, so a bit different with Hoddle as he was sacked for being a bit mad. Papers merely reported on what he'd said, I can't remember them actively campaigning for his dismissal. Speaking personally, I feel the FA overreacted, but other people suggest they used the disability thing because there was other disquiet over his tenure. 

Eddie Jones had the best win ratio of any England coach but anyway……

You disagree that journalists have / had a huge part to play in how public opinion swings in favour or against public faces, including sports managers? Maybe not so much anymore but back before social media then public opinion was hugely swayed by the papers in this country.   But we will agree to disagree. I’m possibly not explaining myself very well. 

3 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

More a cumulation of "reactions" and posts that make me think that the poster in question and I will not see eye to eye on anything and I can't be bothered with the antagonism of it. 

I know what I'm like in an argument so always better to walk away and ignore rather than drawing battle lines and bickering. Nobody can be arsed to read that.

My response was referring to one poster in particular. I don't think Nige can do no wrong because I'm fully aware that football is a game of the finest margins, what I try to do is try to judge things based on the context or information that is available at the point a decision is made rather than being effected by hindsight or outcome bias.

Having worked in youth football at various levels I know that a decision or action will almost always be made for the right reasons. The outcome is always in the laps of the gods and is kind of irrelevant. 

I do think criticising any managers interview style is mental. But that's just me. Plenty of good arguments as to why it's important to others in this thread but on the list of important things I want my manager to focus on, post match interviews with a local radio station is bottom by a mile. His press conferences with the written media are invariably (not always) good and insightful. But so we're Lee Johnson's and Steve Cotterill's. Just in very different ways. 

Thanks for the reply - and fair comment. I noticed after I'd posted that you'd crossed swords in a couple of other threads! My only comment would be that you don't have to post in response - ignoring a poster completely means you never read what they say, some of which you may agree with, some not, but that's what this is all about?

I'm certainly with you on the points you make about making judgements in the context of football management: I've long shied away from getting into 'in' or 'out' camps for any manager because there's so much we don't see or know about, so much that can change with those fine margins, and at the end of the day its completely outside our control anyway! I just hope - whoever they are - that they'll turn the corner next game and we never look back. (I'm often disappointed!)

Managers interview styles seems a bit of an obsession on here - SOD was another one! 

My bugbear though (hence my comment) is the way that things are so often seen in terms of black and white on here. Whether it's a player or a manager, they can either do no wrong at all, or everything they do is wrong. We all know life isn't like that.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Thanks for the reply - and fair comment. I noticed after I'd posted that you'd crossed swords in a couple of other threads! My only comment would be that you don't have to post in response - ignoring a poster completely means you never read what they say, some of which you may agree with, some not, but that's what this is all about?

I'm certainly with you on the points you make about making judgements in the context of football management: I've long shied away from getting into 'in' or 'out' camps for any manager because there's so much we don't see or know about, so much that can change with those fine margins, and at the end of the day its completely outside our control anyway! I just hope - whoever they are - that they'll turn the corner next game and we never look back. (I'm often disappointed!)

Managers interview styles seems a bit of an obsession on here - SOD was another one! 

My bugbear though (hence my comment) is the way that things are so often seen in terms of black and white on here. Whether it's a player or a manager, they can either do no wrong at all, or everything they do is wrong. We all know life isn't like that.

Nail on head ID…it’s rarely black and white, and it’s quite possible to have a different opinion whilst accepting the other person’s point too.

47 minutes ago, lenred said:

Eddie Jones had the best win ratio of any England coach but anyway……

You disagree that journalists have / had a huge part to play in how public opinion swings in favour or against public faces, including sports managers? Maybe not so much anymore but back before social media then public opinion was hugely swayed by the papers in this country.   But we will agree to disagree. I’m possibly not explaining myself very well. 

Yes, but at the time of his dismissal he'd lost 7 out of the last 12 tests. So, past exploits didn't keep him in his position and Times' pundits certainly weren't the only Rugby followers thinking it was time for him to go.  I don't think any journalist wrote a disparaging report of him when he arrived and started having success.

Do sports reporters lead public opinion - or reflect it? People were moaning about Graham Taylor long before the turnip jibe. It may not have helped his case, but if he'd achieved the level of success the FA wanted, he'd have retained his job. 

4 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly! I really do wish some were not as soft and offended as they are! 

Durden is a professional and part of the interview is the way it’s made and responded to. The fact we are talking about it on here means Durden got the required result. 

——

IMO We are a soft ass club, which is reflected in our home support and quite a lot on here. Where we were two years ago was in many ways a reflection of this. Would people prefer bullshit bingo on radio Brizz at 5oc on a Saturday. 

Probably got worse post redevelopment too. The sustained anger towards the officials just dissipates almost as quickly as it arrives- crowd dynamics changing as the game becomes more commercial, moving the tunnel towards a more passive part of the ground probably is nicer to enter and exit via the Lansdown than a tunnel by the home end.

Load of factors, some specific and some general. Football crowds seem more passive in general than 20 years ago IMO let alone the examples of before.

In fact it's probably become more pronounced as a factor every few years since 1992, will vary club by club of course.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

In terms of getting on the backs of the opposition and especially officials we do need to do so more IMO. Tunnel behind a goal maybe one step, "S*** referee" lacks the anger of some of the older chants and fizzles our fairly quickly.

"The referee's a ******" or "The referee, is full of ****" the latter to the tune of When the Saints go Marching in is more apt. Yes they are a bit sweary but we need to find ways to influence the officials a bit. That's two for a start...

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In terms of getting on the backs of the opposition and especially officials we do need to do so more IMO. Tunnel behind a goal maybe one step, "S*** referee" lacks the anger of some of the older chants and fizzles our fairly quickly.

"The referee's a ******" or "The referee, is full of ****" the latter to the tune of When the Saints go Marching in is more apt. Yes they are a bit sweary but we need to find ways to influence the officials a bit. That's two for a start...

A ref I spoke to once said "you don't know what you're doing" was the chant that hurt him the most.