IGNORED

Fifth Round Draw: Home to Man City

BUTOR

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

In fact, without doing much checking, I’d say out of all the teams that have been around in that time, Spurs are the team we’ve played least in the last 50 years.

Just the 6 league games v Spurs as they were relegated for one of the seasons we were in the top flight. We did play them in the 2 leg league cup semi final but that was over 50 years ago now.

Neighbours Arsenal are just behind on 8 league games, all in the top flight. We of course did the double over both in our first season in division one.

Long overdue a meeting with both, maybe save it for the semis at Wembley…..or the final.

Spurs broke my heart in 71

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Man City at home. Payback time 

Man City or Spurs would be great at home. You would expect Liverpool to go through against Brighton and West Ham against Derby and either of these would still sell out ashton gate. I see we still have Stevenage and Stoke and if we get the winner of this one we have a better chance of going further. What ever happens a good run in the cup is great but the league is more important.

58 minutes ago, City oz said:

Man City or Spurs would be great at home. You would expect Liverpool to go through against Brighton and West Ham against Derby and either of these would still sell out ashton gate. I see we still have Stevenage and Stoke and if we get the winner of this one we have a better chance of going further. What ever happens a good run in the cup is great but the league is more important.

I would make Brighton favourites against Liverpool. They smashed them 3-0 in the league two weeks ago and are above them in the table. They could even be dark horses to win the cup, given their record against the top sides.

I definitely fancy Stevenage to win at Stoke as well.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It’s worth the effort. Been a few times - it’s superb.

Any sort of effort involved in watching Bristol City is anathema to proper laid-back, can't-be-arsed Bristolian West Country Bristol City fans - it’s why none of us ever go to away games further east than Fulham or north of Birmingham (or west of Swansea). Too much effort. Can't be arsed.

All those Plymouth and Rovers fans following their teams in their thousands around the country whatever the distance or weather are a disgrace, and clearly not proper West Country.

• Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Any sort of effort involved in watching Bristol City is anathema to proper laid-back, can't-be-arsed Bristolian West Country Bristol City fans - it’s why none of us ever go to away games further east than Fulham or north of Birmingham (or west of Swansea). Too much effort. Can't be arsed.

All those Plymouth and Rovers fans following their teams in their thousands around the country whatever the distance or weather are a disgrace, and clearly not proper West Country.

I did go to watch us at Mansfield once, does that make me proper?

16 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Booked to go away that week completely oblivious to it being the fifth round, let’s be honest when did it matter before?

We’ll be at home to Man U now.

Yep, first year I didnt renew due to working saturdays in new job. Oh well ?

16 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Yep, first year I didnt renew due to working saturdays in new job. Oh well ?

You’ll get a ticket whoever we play if you’re quick enough, even Man City only just about sold out.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Was that when Gilzean? scored the winner in the replay at AG? I think it was a header.

Found this on a Spurs site. Can't comment on anything as I wasn't allowed to go to either game as it was school night.

1441137792_Screenshot2023-01-29at11_37_10.thumb.png.855f3828748eeeb1162bd94b93950bb6.png

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You’ll get a ticket whoever we play if you’re quick enough, even Man City only just about sold out.

I think this is right, especially with it being midweek. There will be plenty who have to work and I’ve already said to the kids they only get to miss school to travel if it’s Man U/Man C/Liverpool/Spurs

12 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

See https://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/round-dates .

Says Wednesday 1st March, but I guess it's likely to be spread over two nights.

I think more likely three nights. Games will be played on the Thursday as well in order to maximise TV coverage and league games played on the Sunday. Having said that, I’d be confident we’d be Tues/Weds due to the logistics of Cardiff policing.

As for who I want? Man City. I want Scott to play against them so Pep can see him up close. He’d be brilliant in that side and it’s not fanciful to suggest he could be at that level if not now in the near future. There isn’t a better boss for him to learn from, and it also ensures maximum cash for us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Was that when Gilzean? scored the winner in the replay at AG? I think it was a header.

2nd leg was at Spurs, 2-0 loss Chivers with a header for the 2nd, game went to extra time I think. First leg at AG had finished 1-1 Gilzean scored for Spurs.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Now that is genius; and possibly the greatest single invention of the 21st century to date.

I would happily pay £4.50 for that pint.

Edit: back on topic, at home playing Everton is surely the plum draw.

Not sure we can draw a side that’s already been knocked out, or is this a whoosh?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Good job too. That tackle, if you can call it that, by Fabhino on Ferguson was a disgrace. What is the point of VAR if that isn't given as a red card. 

Is it about 'intent'?

That said, it was a shocking tackle.

Edited by Ska Junkie

19 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Why? It's the biggest pain in the ass ground to get to in London. 

Piece of piss, Paddington > Liverpool Street > White Hart Lane, although Paddington > Liverpool Straight is new Elizabeth Line so I’ll let you off

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I remember a 4th round game against them back in '68 or '69.

Won 1-0 in front of 38,000.

I was at that game, what a crush in the East End- wedged in on the terrace from 1pm, couldn't move or get out for a p for 4 hours!  ....a good job I was only 14 and too young to have got beered up beforehand!

Lost 2-0 away to Spurs in the next  round.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

So last time we were in an FA Cup QF Kevin Keegan and John Toshack were playing up front for Liverpool, with the latter scoring the winner.

That’s right, at AG, Steve Highway was the best player on the field that day in front of a 37,000 crowd

1 minute ago, Wanderingred said:

Fifth round. We’d got past Swindon (a division higher at the time) and Chelsea, only to get knocked out by Cambridge.

I went to all 3 games when I was 10!  Great times!  Didn't we play Cambridge home and drew 1-1 then got spanked away 5-0 and Dion Dublin was on fire!

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Beaten at Brighton…….got stuffed there in the league as well….

Great finish in injury time! 

1 minute ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I went to all 3 games when I was 10!  Great times!  Didn't we play Cambridge home and drew 1-1 then got spanked away 5-0 and Dion Dublin was on fire!

The replay up there was 1-1 again I think and we lost the toss for choice of venue for the 3rd game. We did indeed get spanked 5-0 in that.