IGNORED

Rare footage and some cracking goals...

spudski

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Thanks so much @spudski.

I was fortunate enough to see Big John's first against Newport in 1951 and his last in 1966. And hundreds in the fifteen years in between. Many of us there that evening in the Open End may have thought it didn't brush his head on the way from corner flag to the back of the net. But John, like all goalscorers was claiming it  before it hit the net. 

He was a superb player, goalscorer and above all a team player. As a teenager who went to lots of away games after I left school in 1960, it was a pleasure and an honour to meet and talk with him as much as we did. One of our group in 1960 was the 12 year old Chris Garland. 

But my favourire story about Big John is as follows.

Home game versus Sheffield United. We lost 1-4 and he had three or four goals at the Covered End chalked off by a linesman's flag. Six days later on Good Friday, the players were on the Special train back to Bristol from Cardiff after a 1-0 win. We were getting autgraphs from everyone and I still have that programme. Harry Dolman signed it and said I should collect £1 notes instead; I iffered his signature back for one but he declined!

Then I asked Atyeo what he thought of the linesman and ref from the Sheff U game. His reply, to an innocent young lad like me was "I don't know son, I wasn't playing" I said "Of course you were John". The reply was amazing from one who was a full England player, scoring goals against Brazil and others. He said "I might have been on the pitch but I definitely didn't play" All his team mates who heard it dissolved into raucous laughter. He wasn't too big a person to admit to the rare off day on the pitch.

Great player in his time. Great person who never failed to stop and talk with fans at Ashton Gate while he was playing and in retirement as a spectator. As a schoolteacher I understand he was a really good one until retirement and a death much too early. As I pass his statue every home game, I give a small wave to him and say "Thanks Big John" sometimes with a tear in my eye.

Thanks for sharing that memory mate. Really nice to hear. I had similar told to me by my late father. Seems he was loved by all. A gentleman and fantastic footballer. I'm not old enough to have seen him play, but so wish I had been able to. It galls me that Carey got the record for most games. 

My ex mother in law was related to John, she still lives in Westbury, his neck of the woods. Sadly no football stories, she just spoke of childhood memories. 

I've watched his goals for England...such a shame no world cup call up. 

Like you...I always smile at the statue, and think of my dad. 

That statue I imagine means a lot to many and brings back so many fond memories, both for football and family. ??

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Thanks so much @spudski.

I was fortunate enough to see Big John's first against Newport in 1951 and his last in 1966. And hundreds in the fifteen years in between. Many of us there that evening in the Open End may have thought it didn't brush his head on the way from corner flag to the back of the net. But John, like all goalscorers was claiming it  before it hit the net. 

He was a superb player, goalscorer and above all a team player. As a teenager who went to lots of away games after I left school in 1960, it was a pleasure and an honour to meet and talk with him as much as we did. One of our group in 1960 was the 12 year old Chris Garland. 

Home game versus Sheffield United. We lost 1-4 and he had three or four goals at the Covered End chalked off by a linesman's flag. Six days later on Good Friday, the players were on the Special train back to Bristol from Cardiff after a 1-0 win. We were getting autgraphs from everyone and I still have that programme. Harry Dolman signed it and said I should collect £1 notes instead; I iffered his signature back for one but he declined!

Then I asked Atyeo what he thought of the linesman and ref from the Sheff U game. His reply, to an innocent young lad like me was "I don't know son, I wasn't playing" I said "Of course you were John". The reply was amazing from one who was a full England player, scoring goals against Brazil and others. He said "I might have been on the pitch but I definitely didn't play" All his team mates who heard it dissolved into raucous laughter. He wasn't too big a person to admit to the rare off day on the pitch.

Great player in his time. Great person who never failed to stop and talk with fans at Ashton Gate while he was playing and in retirement as a spectator. As a schoolteacher I understand he was a really good one until retirement and a death much too early. As I pass his statue every home game, I give a small wave to him and say "Thanks Big John" sometimes with a tear in my eye.

I met him many times after he'd retired, a real gent.

Another legend who passed away far too early (similar age as JA I believe) and was the consumate gentleman was someone who you'd maybe have known was Cliff Morgan. He gave many years service to the club as player (my dads favourite) and scout. Looked after all the young kids coming through. My dad was in awe when he met him, he was Mr. Morgan to me (always Mr. as he commanded respect).

Jock Rae another great servant to the club and a gentleman, they don't make 'em like those three anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Thanks so much @spudski.

I think you should have your own thread, love reading these stories of players before my time, City players or not. ??????

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think you should have your own thread, love reading these stories of players before my time, City players or not. ??????

I agree. I am ashamed that, despite being (my estimate based on the period he can remember) 20 years younger than @cidered abroad, my memory of incidents, games and goals is consistently proved to be wrong, as it was on the Tony Pulis thread only today. I would love to read about players before my time, and also those who were my heroes in my youth (late 60's early 70's) that I only half remember now.

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Bet Keith Waugh's hands took a battering in training walshy and Biff had the same philosophy for free kicks or shots smash it as hard as you can at the keepers face

Alan Walsh - what a left foot he had! Remember Plymouth home Boxing Day (I think), screamer in to top corner, watched it fly in from B Block Dolman stand.

Norman Hunter could hit a ball also. Norman could hit centre forwards also!!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I agree. I am ashamed that, despite being (my estimate based on the period he can remember) 20 years younger than @cidered abroad, my memory of incidents, games and goals is consistently proved to be wrong, as it was on the Tony Pulis thread only today. I would love to read about players before my time, and also those who were my heroes in my youth (late 60's early 70's) that I only half remember now.

Just thinking aloud, maybe a suggestion for @Shtanley for an OSIB special "a cider with Cidered Abroad"? 

13 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Alan Walsh - what a left foot he had! Remember Plymouth home Boxing Day (I think), screamer in to top corner, watched it fly in from B Block Dolman stand.

Norman Hunter could hit a ball also. Norman could hit centre forwards also!!!

Tommy Tynan'another Newport connection went home with the match ball but no win bonus!

• Like 1

Nostalgia overload!!!............Whatever Man Ure fans might say,  we didn't ask them to sign him....it was their Ffeeing choice?.  As far as i am concerned Ralph was an entertaining star of a footballer, who was a treat to watch, and so what if he enjoyed a drink or two, and a spot of piano playing?   I loved him.  Ha!!

7 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

I was lucky enough to be in the away end at Crewe when John Bailey scored an unbelievable goal from outside the box.

I think he was more surprised than the crowd!

I was there, packed away end. My old man and me climbed on a metal barrier at the back of the away end to get a decent view. A good Crewe side battered us for pretty much the entire 90 mins but Bailey scored a worldy goal. It was my 15th birthday so the 1-0 win was a great present. 31st October 1989...where do the years go!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I was there, packed away end. My old man and me climbed on a metal barrier at the back of the away end to get a decent view. A good Crewe side battered us for pretty much the entire 90 mins but Bailey scored a worldy goal. It was my 15th birthday so the 1-0 win was a great present. 31st October 1989...where do the years go!

Me too. I lived in Shrewsbury so almost a home game.

• Like 1