IGNORED

Manchester City at home FA Cup 5th round match thread

Jerseybean

36 minutes ago, sugarwray said:

No encouragement from the stat in today's Times newspaper. Fewest FA Cup semi final appearances since competition's revamp in 1925 among regulars* in top two tiers

Bristol City 1

Cardiff 3

Swansea 5

Charlton, Coventry, Blackpool, QPR, Hull 6

* at least 45 seasons in the top two divisions in that period

Who knows? maybe, like with penalties, our barren streak will end and we will make up for lost time and start clocking up Wembley visits

The Times have got that wrong, then, if it's FA Cup Semi Final appearances since 1925 then City should be on 0 not 1, as our last Semi Final appearance in that competition was in 1920. 

• Like 1

If the worst should happen tonight and we get battered, I just hope as many fans as possible stay behind the team and stay in their seats until the final whistle.

I think the recent run of results and effort showed by players and staff deserves at least that.....

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

want us to end 49 years of hurt and reach the FA Cup Quarter Final.

On Tuesday, February 19th, 1974, the two gentlemen pictured in the centre and centre right positions, witnessed our team's triumphant 1-0 victory at Elland Road over the Mighty Leeds United in the 5th Round. Can you name them?

image.thumb.png.f043361638b33dc88271bb6e836436df.png

So, Shankly wore a Rod Stewart wig.

Little wonder he wasn't recognised.

• Haha 3
  • Flames 1

28 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

want us to end 49 years of hurt and reach the FA Cup Quarter Final.

On Tuesday, February 19th, 1974, the two gentlemen pictured in the centre and centre right positions, witnessed our team's triumphant 1-0 victory at Elland Road over the Mighty Leeds United in the 5th Round. Can you name them?

image.thumb.png.f043361638b33dc88271bb6e836436df.png

The one behind the late Queen is obviously Bill Shankly and would I be right in thinking that next to her majesty is a young Tom Cruise.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sugarwray said:

No encouragement from the stat in today's Times newspaper. Fewest FA Cup semi final appearances since competition's revamp in 1925 among regulars* in top two tiers

Bristol City 1

Cardiff 3

Swansea 5

Who knows? maybe, like with penalties, our barren streak will end and we will make up for lost time and start clocking up Wembley visits

That’s probably because in that time we’ve made the 5th round 14 times and lost them all bar one !!!

If Man City are on it we could easily be slaughtered like the Woman were against them, 0-6 & 1-8 in their two cup games this season.

I'm hoping that's not the case and we can stay in the game for at least an hour, but to do that every player on our side is going to have to be at the top of their game.

Edited by old_eastender

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

The one behind the late Queen is obviously Bill Shankly and would I be right in thinking that next to her majesty is a young Tom Cruise.

The one pictured top middle, to the right, is Arthur Face. 

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Haha 1

Nige…final message for the fans… *Get behind the team, enjoy it and let’s see what happens eh..”

COYR’s!!

It’s alright for you lot, I’m off to bed soon to be up in the. morning for a 6:00am kick off.. No chance of any sleep. 13 games unbeaten, unlucky… Pep.

• Like 1

I saw this on  the Man City forum:

”Since then I have been to Bristol through my employment, and visits to family members nearby, a few times and generally enjoyed the experience. This was despite the faux ‘cockney’ accent (probably from watching East Enders) spoken by many locals.”

Wots eh on about - faux cockney accents?  Eh’s white at of orda sayin dat 

Edited by pongo88

9 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I saw this on  the Man City forum:

”Since then I have been to Bristol through my employment, and visits to family members nearby, a few times and generally enjoyed the experience. This was despite the faux ‘cockney’ accent (probably from watching East Enders) spoken by many locals.”

Wots eh on about - faux cockney accents?  Eh’s white at of orda sayin dat 

Thats krek waiters peak Brizzle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sugarwray said:

Bristol City 1

Cardiff 3

Swansea 5

What if the football Gods get involved and somehow this played out…..All square after extra time, penalty shoot out, cue the commentator: ‘so it is KDB v Max O’Leary, to decide this remarkable game, the keeper has just signed a new contract with BCFC, who until recently had not been awarded a penalty in 469 days, but in the last week have scored two from two…..if he saves this Bristol City are through to the quarter finals. WHAT A SAVE, LISTEN TO THAT NOISE, LOOK AT THOSE SCENES, BRISTOL CITY ARE STILL UNBEATEN THIS YEAR AND  A SOLD OUT ASHTON GATE CELEBRATES A HUGE SCALP, WELL PLAYED BRISTOL CITY!’ 

Sorry, I’m getting a bit carried away, will just put the blanket back over my knees and sit quietly for a while. COYR.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, handsofclay said:

The Times have got that wrong, then, if it's FA Cup Semi Final appearances since 1925 then City should be on 0 not 1, as our last Semi Final appearance in that competition was in 1920. 

Whoops… Times was right, it said quarter final, I think that makes it worse

81382485-701C-4B63-9D46-F147D78DF795.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I remember one game where Clive Whitehead had Willie Donachie on a string, I have never seen anyone so worried . Not sure if that was the Garland 1-0 or not, what I do remember from that game is one of the Man City players was quoted in the paper as saying we weren't fit to lace their boots. It was still 1-0 though , so suck on that . :thumbsup:

It was their Captain, Mike Doyle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

Thought it was, but then started doubting myself. And with my memory that's a normal state of things. 

Yep, he said it on MOTD iirc.

It was reported a few days later that after that comment someone had scratched 'BCFC' on his car, presumably a Manchester based City fan.

• Like 1

Fortunately I won't be using public transport today but looking at the last bus/train times it looks a bit tight if it went to extra time/penalties, in that case game might not finish until 22.45, last bus for park&ride is 23.30 and train 22.54, I wonder if they realise there won't be a replay if the match is tied? Also they're asking people getting the bus to wait 45 mins before leaving the ground if poss so everyone doesn't arrive at once!

48 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Meetings galore, itching to get to the pub ?

We'll be in the pub for the game from 17.30.

Wish I'd bought tickets now - just didn't like the prices and decided against buying on principle.

Now I'll probably be paying nearly as much to watch it in the pub !

Idiot.

I'll make sure I get tickets for the quarter final...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

ITV team tonight is Laura Woods, Wrighty, Roy Keane, Matterface and McCoist. Decent line-up...

As long as they don't refer to MANCHESTER city as just "city" as the media have decided to do these days then I'm sure they'll do a good job!

One commentator on Sunday's cup final insisted on saying "united" when referring to Manchester (at least I thought he was referring to them), despite both clubs being uniteds ?

COYR!!

Just now, bcfc01 said:

Disgraceful if they are.

There'll be plenty on the pitch side I suspect if so.

Just saw a picture on Facebook , they’re not half & half . Looking at all the complaints on Twitter about them , it looks a quick picture to calm people down. What a strange thing to do . 
can you imagine being in the meeting. Oh I know ! What Jon . Half& half scarves . Don’t be a ***** . Oh you’re serious ! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

FFS. What the hell are the club doing if those are what I think they are? Burn the bastards.

No issue with half and half scarfs as a memento, something to have at home as a reminder of the game…..wouldn’t wear it at the ground though.

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Just saw a picture on Facebook , they’re not half & half . Looking at all the complaints on Twitter about them , it looks a quick picture to calm people down. What a strange thing to do . 
can you imagine being in the meeting. Oh I know ! What Jon . Half& half scarves . Don’t be a ***** . Oh you’re serious ! 

Thing is, I think Jon is genuinely a fan. Even the anniversary shirt I could see there was an effort to pay homage to our past, and the current kit harks back to a great period. You do things like that when you “get” fans. But this? If we’d sold out and 1/3 of the tickets had hit general sale I’d be - not fine - but understanding of it as we would have had a lot of day trippers. Fact is that we sold out through ST holders and members - overwhelmingly people who come to see BRISTOL City. And any BCFC fan, or passionate fan of any club, has no time for these abominations.

• Flames 1