IGNORED

Playoffs

dunsteral

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Interested to know how you think we’ll make up at least 10 points on sides in the top six without us winning a lot of games…

Like so much you post, this makes absolutely no sense.

The form of those in 4th, 5th, 6th & 7th is actually broadly similar to ours, certainly not different enough to suggest any possibility of us closing a 10 point gap over 13 games.

You’ll probably reply by saying anyone can beat anyone, I already know that, but someone still gets 3 points as a result, don’t they?

We have virtually no chance of making the playoffs.

We’re all entitled to our opinions GrahamC and my opinion on this topic is obviously different to yours but according to you my opinion make’s absolutely no sense…………….:cool2:

I’m too polite to retort tho.

However…..we’ll see and it could be that you’ll be eating humble pie in 10 games time.

Back on topic, I think realistically we’ve left it a touch too late. The absolute thing that needs to happen is three wins in the next 9 days against teams below us in the table and really struggling. That’s followed by Luton away and Swansea away, where 4 points is the minimum requirement and should be doable - ideally beating Luton if we want to close any gap.

So, if we get to the international break and we have another 13 points, we’re probably 6 outside with 8 to play. With a run in that includes all the top three even making that up is a very tough ask.

It’s not impossible, and momentum gets you a long way, but as that illustrates, even if we win 4 of the next 5 in our “easier” batch it still becomes very unlikely.

On 01/03/2023 at 15:59, Robbored said:

Why is it a surprise? The Championship has always been the primary aim.

City are 10 points away from the top six. That’s an ideal position to be in given our league form since Boxing Day with 13 games to go.

Three points at Cardiff on Saturday will see the undefeated league run continue.

Personally, I think that Nigel is experienced enough at this level, and several other levels which we are unable to comprehend having not managed at that level, to appreciate that its our primary aim - or not.

At the given time of his choosing, I expect Nigel, who I have the utmost respect for at this level, to make the appropriate announcement on the OS.

I hope that's clear - and on the level.

Edited by Curr Avon

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Back on topic, I think realistically we’ve left it a touch too late. The absolute thing that needs to happen is three wins in the next 9 days against teams below us in the table and really struggling. That’s followed by Luton away and Swansea away, where 4 points is the minimum requirement and should be doable - ideally beating Luton if we want to close any gap.

So, if we get to the international break and we have another 13 points, we’re probably 6 outside with 8 to play. With a run in that includes all the top three even making that up is a very tough ask.

It’s not impossible, and momentum gets you a long way, but as that illustrates, even if we win 4 of the next 5 in our “easier” batch it still becomes very unlikely.

That’s absolutely right. 

The fact that we’re debating/discussing the possibility of the top six keeps us interested in the remaining games (even the pessimists who would never admit that) is a positive.

1 minute ago, Curr Avon said:

Personally, I think that Nigel is experienced enough at this level, and several other levels which we are unable to comprehend having not managed at that level, to appreciate that its our primary aim - or not.

At the given time of his choosing, I expect Nigel, who I have the utmost respect for at this level, to make the appropriate announcement on the OS.

I hope that's clear - and on the level.

I’m very tempted to say that that is as close to mumbo jumbo as I’ve seen on here - but I won’t………..:whistle:

As Saturdays goes I’m hoping the lads are slightly frustrated with the 0-3 loss to City and Cardiff will feel there frustration , massive game in my eyes , win and we could yet again push on ( possibly chase and outside play offs )defeat then an awkward game away to Huddersfield you lose that very quickly goes from 12 undefeated to 3 straight losses , funny old game 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

‘and?’ means ‘so what if City are further away now than we were at Xmas?’

Its means nothing - as I said the table changes after every round of Championship fixtures.

So hang on a minute, Let's get this straight for a second :laugh:.

You make a point that we could make the play-offs, because our form since Boxing Day has been so good.

It's then pointed out to you, that despite our 'good' form since boxing day, we are now further away from the play-offs than we were then and that it is nowhere near enough.

And you think that if we continue that form, maths will magically rewrite it's rules and we might make the play-offs?

Robbored with his outstanding logic as ever :facepalm:.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

So hang on a minute, Let's get this straight for a second :laugh:.

You make a point that we could make the play-offs, because our form since Boxing Day has been so good.

It's then pointed out to you, that despite our 'good' form since boxing day, we are now further away from the play-offs than we were then and that it is nowhere near enough.

And you think that if we continue that form, maths will magically rewrite it's rules and we might make the play-offs?

Robbored with his outstanding logic as ever :facepalm:.

It doesn't matter that we are further away points wise imo. If we repeat our form from the last 9 over the next we'll be on 61 points with another 4 games to play. If we can win 3 of them we get to 70. 

Yes a lot of ifs but our form is there, so mathematically not rewriting of rules needed. 70 points gives us a fair chance.

Edited by citywest30

City are 10 points away from the top six. That’s an ideal position to be in given our league form since Boxing Day with 13 games to go.

Three points at Cardiff on Saturday will see the undefeated league run continue.

6 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

It doesn't matter that we are further away points wise imo. If we repeat our form from the last 9 over the next we'll be on 61 points with another 4 games to play. If we can win 3 of them we get to 70. 

Yes a lot of ifs but our form is there, so mathematically not rewriting of rules needed. 70 points gives us a fair chance.

But even IF we did that, for 70 to be enough you'd need either Millwall or Luton to suffer basically relegation form from now until the end of the season, us to better all 6 other teams above us (which we are currently not doing even in our 'good' form), and hope it's one of those freak years where 70 is enough - over the last 10 years or so you typically need 75 minimum. 

It's fun to see if we can make it, and it is technically possible, but it is not happening.

• Like 1

I don’t understand ,surely we are already in the Championship why are we aiming for it?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

But even IF we did that, for 70 to be enough you'd need either Millwall or Luton to suffer basically relegation form from now until the end of the season, us to better all 6 other teams above us (which we are currently not doing even in our 'good' form), and hope it's one of those freak years where 70 is enough - over the last 10 years or so you typically need 75 minimum. 

It's fun to see if we can make it, and it is technically possible, but it is not happening.

Agreed and it is a big if. Bit equally we could also improve our form and get more wins in the next 9 and be pushing on 75. 

I just want to keep believing but I accept reality is it is unlikely.

53 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I’m not sure why I’m veering away from my one game at a time mantra, but…

…if “we’re” suggesting 61 points with 4 games left, and then getting 9 from winning 3 of them, that’s 70.  That’s what is being suggested, yes?

So for Millwall or Luton to “only” get 70, would mean them getting 16 from 12.

image.thumb.png.8499f57e3a3ad175e21167a6f61e1f78.png

That’s not relegation form, that’s effectively W4 D4 L4….mid-table form.  A drop off on current form though, I agree.

All I would add is that it’s not just 6th we are fighting for but 4th and 5th too.  Unfortunately so are Norwich, Watford, Sunderland, Coventry, West Brom and Preston.

Personally I don’t think we will get enough points whatever the total needed is, but I’m looking forward to getting ahead of Preston first, hopefully Saturday lunchtime.

On 01/03/2023 at 15:48, dunsteral said:

We obviously have some fans who think we can make the playoffs this season, as well as some who think it is a step too far.

What took me a little by surprise last night was Nigel saying on the radio that tomorrow (today) we have to get back to the

task of trying to get in to the playoffs, which is reassuring that his frame of mind is that it is a possibility.

I think we can all look forward to a tremendous last 13 games and we are obviously going to give it all we have got.

Strap yourselves in.

The Ave to make play-off is 76 points so that is 2.5 points a game.

We can only drop 7 out of a max of 39 available to get to 76. My view is that it’s too far away but would love to be proved wrong!

Luton’s form this season would equate to 73 points. To match them we’d need to have a run in along the lines of W9 D2 L2. Is that impossible? Clearly not. Is that likely? Very clearly not, given current form. And that relies on no significant pick up in form from any of the teams between us and Luton. If I was a bookie (and going with actual odds rather than following the money), I’d offer something like 50/1 or 66/1, occasionally horses win at those odds, but very rarely. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Its means nothing - as I said the table changes after every round of Championship fixtures.

I'm sure every fan remains hopefully optimistic, but I fear that your term, the Pray offs", is the most apt from where we currently sit.

Edited by downendcity

13 hours ago, Robbored said:

We’re all entitled to our opinions GrahamC and my opinion on this topic is obviously different to yours but according to you my opinion make’s absolutely no sense…………….:cool2:

However…..we’ll see and it could be that you’ll be eating humble pie in 10 games time.

Morning my man.

You’re very vocally confident about the pray offs. Just wondering what odds you’ve got? Presumably you’ve backed your optimism with a flutter?

You got your tickets to cheer on Nige and the boys for the next few away games?

And I so love seeing an OAP’s use of a totally irrelevant emoji.

Keep it up. See you at Huddersfield?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

Just a couple of things on this;

Firstly of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, I could say that when I was younger I was a better footballer than Thierry Henry, so it’s definitely an opinion, but like your post, it’s just not based on any reality.

Several people have pointed out why your theory that we can overtake all of these teams, but apparently not by needing to win at least 9 games is totally flawed, but like certain other posts of yours, you keep digging with absolutely no logic or facts in your reply.

You did “retort” by the way, I’m now replying to it.

Feel free to bookmark this conversation & come back to it at any point, we aren’t making the playoffs.

I’m more than happy to bet you whatever amount you would like on that.

This doesn’t make me a pessimist, unlike a few on here I’ve been a consistent supporter of Nigel Pearson throughout, it makes me a realist, based on the form of the sides around us, that we are currently running on a squad of about 16 players & that we face 4 of our next 5 away, have the likes of Burnley, Sheff U, Luton, Boro all to play.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Just a couple of things on this;

Firstly of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, I could say that when I was younger I was a better footballer than Thierry Henry, so it’s definitely an opinion, but like your post, it’s just not based on any reality.

Several people have pointed out why your theory that we can overtake all of these teams, but apparently not by needing to win at least 9 games is totally flawed, but like certain other posts of yours, you keep digging with absolutely no logic or facts in your reply.

You did “retort” by the way, I’m now replying to it.

Feel free to bookmark this conversation & come back to it at any point, we aren’t making the playoffs.

I’m more than happy to bet you whatever amount you would like on that.

This doesn’t make me a pessimist, unlike a few on here I’ve been a consistent supporter of Nigel Pearson throughout, it makes me a realist, based on the form of the sides around us, that we are currently running on a squad of about 16 players & that we face 4 of our next 5 away, have the likes of Burnley, Sheff U, Luton, Boro all to play.

First highlight - league results in any division fluctuate pretty much after every round of fixtures and the Championship is no exception. Should City continue their good form and other teams flounder a little then anything can happen and unless it becomes mathematically impossible I’ll continue to believe that City can reach the top six - obviously it depends on whether City can continue the good form but as we all know that momentum is a key factor.

Second highlight - this site is not a bookies GrahamC………….:cool2:

Third highlight - at least we agree on that……..

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It was always a bit daft thinking we could get into the play offs. We got such a thin squad it only take one or two injuries . Now we got them we’re filling gaps. Huddersfield will be very tough now 

It was tough before Kalas & Williams got injured.

The levels of delusion from those who thought a squad of about 15 were going to go on a run that saw us overtake 7 or 8 sides was off the scale.

We are relying on a very small number of players & those of them that are fit are having to play 3 games a week.

I know you know this but this thread is evidence of those who obviously do not.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Some absolutely embarrassing nonsense posted in it, no idea why anyone thought it was even a 1% chance.

I mostly saw people debating the chance and the trying to work out how unlikely it was.  Was there actually that much embarrassing nonsense?  It was actually more than a 1% chance stats wise. 

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It was tough before Kalas & Williams got injured.

The levels of delusion from those who thought a squad of about 15 were going to go on a run that saw us overtake 7 or 8 sides was off the scale.

We are relying on a very small number of players & those of them that are fit are having to play 3 games a week.

I know you know this but this thread is evidence of those who obviously do not.

Nige mentioned it, on the radio, in the week ....

6 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

1% ?? ?

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Think Nige needs a lie down in his woodshed in that thicket of his.

He’s believes in the ability of his squad, it’s mathematically possible. If we would have won today then went on to win the game in hand the fight would have been on, 5 points behind.  Longshot yes, out of reach no. Now it’s gone finishing strong is what it has always been about though playoffs would have been a bonus.

On 03/03/2023 at 09:02, Robbored said:

First highlight - league results in any division fluctuate pretty much after every round of fixtures and the Championship is no exception. Should City continue their good form and other teams flounder a little then anything can happen and unless it becomes mathematically impossible I’ll continue to believe that City can reach the top six - obviously it depends on whether City can continue the good form but as we all know that momentum is a key factor.

Second highlight - this site is not a bookies GrahamC………….:cool2:

Third highlight - at least we agree on that……..

It's all gone quiet over there!!!

?

It was always an uphill task, the problem with play off talk is that it gives the perception that the season has been unsuccessful when in fact, it’s another cost cutting season with further player development and improvement to the overall culture of the club.

A couple more seasons like this and we’ll have a group of established home grown championship players playing with a clear identity and a budget to make significant signings to mount a serious promotion push.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2023 at 15:45, Robbored said:

If we’re further away than we were 9 games ago then I wouldn’t say we’re “handy placed”

On 02/03/2023 at 15:57, Robbored said:

City are in better form at the moment Super.

No we aren’t. 9 games unbeaten was great but we drew too many for it to be playoff contention form 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MattWSM said:

All we have to do is win 11 games, can afford to lose 1. Simple.

Exactly! There are some delusional weirdos on this thread who seem to think we won't win 11 games from now ?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Humble Realist said:

Spot on. Anyone talking about us making the play offs in the last week just in absolute different world. 

Well straight after game I said “gone” but. Go to Huddersfield and win our game in hand only 8 points behind then Blackpool home next sat 

Stating the mathematically obvious, but as we get closer to the end of the season, the room for us to move up or down significantly, reduces. We’d need to get past 8 teams to reach the play offs and 8 teams would need to get past us for us to be relegated. Bottom 3 are cut adrift (despite QPR’s form) and would need to improve their form season to date to get past us, even if we lose every remaining game. If Norwich continue their season to date form, we’d need a run along the lines of W9 D2 L1 to get past them, nothing suggests that’s likely. Clearly teams won’t all follow their season to date form, point is that as the team positioned exactly halfway between playoffs and relegation, in 14th, we’re probably the least likely team to bothering either this season. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

I agree but must set targets one game at a time and finish as high as we can ready for a rebuild next season 

Bingo.

Heres the one game target:

image.thumb.png.e7651fa08340dac077eeb7d4895af6a9.png

Beat Huddersfield, go 12th.

Draw with Huddersfield, go 13th, or stay 14th if Reading beat Sheffield United (assuming not been deducted 6 points by then).

One game at a time.  Boring as it is, sorry.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bingo.

Draw with Huddersfield, go 13th, or stay 14th if Reading beat Sheffield United (assuming not been deducted 6 points by then).

Poor as Huddersfield are, with Colin in charge and our injury situation I can't say I'm confident about Tuesday

4 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Poor as Huddersfield are, with Colin in charge and our injury situation I can't say I'm confident about Tuesday

I’m never confident going into any game.  The Championship is unpredictable.  Blackpool (bottom 3) drew with table topping Burnley yesterday.

Why anyone speculates stuff like “must get 6 from the next two” or “if we can get 7 from the next 3” I don’t know.  It’s futile really.

I take the approach, especially with the club we currently are, we start with a point, try not to lose that, as every point, is a point gained.

Would sit here today and take a boring as **** nil-nil on Tuesday.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bingo.

May be boring but from 12 Another win gets us 50 Which as it stands 5 points behind playoffs if players don’t believe in themselves and fans don’t either WHATS THE POINT a bit like the ass holes who say I knew we’d lose to Cardiff because it took it out of us tues ffs 

Our aim should be to sneak into the top half, it's achievable and a bad result or two doesn't rule it out unlike the play offs, also I wouldn't want us to make the play offs this season, I think that would be more detrimental to end the season on disappointment and if by an absolute miracle we got promoted this squad would probably set a record for least points earned in the Premier League. Silly thoughts aside a top half finish would be positive, it would give confidence to grow on next season and time for us to recruit for the new system we play. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

Our aim should be to sneak into the top half, it's achievable and a bad result or two doesn't rule it out unlike the play offs, also I wouldn't want us to make the play offs this season, I think that would be more detrimental to end the season on disappointment and if by an absolute miracle we got promoted this squad would probably set a record for least points earned in the Premier League. Silly thoughts aside a top half finish would be positive, it would give confidence to grow on next season and time for us to recruit for the new system we play. 

Spike I’ve always thought we’d never have a squad ready for prem BUT the rewards are. So big it doesn’t matter , look at forest I thought nailed on for relegation but have spent £130 million and are now picking up points and they got promoted with 5 loans in team 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bingo.

Sorry, I fell asleep mid way through reading this post... ?

Anyway, back to our inevitable promotion push...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

Spike I’ve always thought we’d never have a squad ready for prem BUT the rewards are. So big it doesn’t matter , look at forest I thought nailed on for relegation but have spent £130 million and are now picking up points and they got promoted with 5 loans in team 

Oh there is no doubt that if we spent £130m we may survive too if we made it there but the difference between us and Forest was their squad last season was pretty big with a lot of depth and this season they've been willing to gamble with their finances, something I can never see us doing, even with promotion. This club is now run very sensibly meaning we are keeping within the means and trying to get promoted without gambling. Our big gamble was the season that we bought Kalas, DaSilva etc, that was our real push and it failed and since that we've slowly changed the club into a safe spending club which is more apparent than ever this season as our squad is a lot smaller. Forest had a good size squad, good depth in players and even then they looked set to come back down before spending big, I think if we went up the money we'd get from it would mostly go on creating a bigger squad with a few choice signings to add quality to be able to even have a chance in the Premier League. Plenty of teams have gone into the Prem and thrown money at it and come straight back down and found themselves stuck in a position where they hands half their team left from the Prem as players ball out but still a huge wage bill, see Cardiff as a prime example. Living in Cardiff I've seen their rapid downfall and its come from being in the Prem and overspending and underperforming. I can't see this club getting promoted and spending everything on staying up, we'd spend but we'd also have a plan of saving some of that money should we get relegated, that's the new business model we've put in place, financial integrity of the club is first, performance on the pitch is a close second but ultimately is the sacrifice if the club begins to run close to FFP issues. I'm not we're being run poorly either, I'm saying the safety of the clubs long term position as a football club is priority one. 

Forest may survive this season, they may survive a few, but the more they spend, the more they pay out on wages and the more their high paid players begin to decline the more they'll suffer when they do get relegated if they can't find stability in the Premier League. Sometimes I think the parachute payments on top of a relegation where you've not overspent can actually benefit you in getting back into the Premier League in the long run and I think the club would look at finances over a roll of the dice on the long term future of the club. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

May be boring but from 12 Another win gets us 50 Which as it stands 5 points behind playoffs if players don’t believe in themselves and fans don’t either WHATS THE POINT a bit like the ass holes who say I knew we’d lose to Cardiff because it took it out of us tues ffs 

Can we try to get to 47 points first on Tuesday ???

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

Oh there is no doubt that if we spent £130m we may survive too if we made it there but the difference between us and Forest was their squad last season was pretty big with a lot of depth and this season they've been willing to gamble with their finances, something I can never see us doing, even with promotion. This club is now run very sensibly meaning we are keeping within the means and trying to get promoted without gambling. Our big gamble was the season that we bought Kalas, DaSilva etc, that was our real push and it failed and since that we've slowly changed the club into a safe spending club which is more apparent than ever this season as our squad is a lot smaller. Forest had a good size squad, good depth in players and even then they looked set to come back down before spending big, I think if we went up the money we'd get from it would mostly go on creating a bigger squad with a few choice signings to add quality to be able to even have a chance in the Premier League. Plenty of teams have gone into the Prem and thrown money at it and come straight back down and found themselves stuck in a position where they hands half their team left from the Prem as players ball out but still a huge wage bill, see Cardiff as a prime example. Living in Cardiff I've seen their rapid downfall and its come from being in the Prem and overspending and underperforming. I can't see this club getting promoted and spending everything on staying up, we'd spend but we'd also have a plan of saving some of that money should we get relegated, that's the new business model we've put in place, financial integrity of the club is first, performance on the pitch is a close second but ultimately is the sacrifice if the club begins to run close to FFP issues. I'm not we're being run poorly either, I'm saying the safety of the clubs long term position as a football club is priority one. 

Forest may survive this season, they may survive a few, but the more they spend, the more they pay out on wages and the more their high paid players begin to decline the more they'll suffer when they do get relegated if they can't find stability in the Premier League. Sometimes I think the parachute payments on top of a relegation where you've not overspent can actually benefit you in getting back into the Premier League in the long run and I think the club would look at finances over a roll of the dice on the long term future of the club. 

Hasn’t Southampton’s win put the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons.

image.png.8760b942c6fe8bdd9b1f7315a571848c.png

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bingo.

Are you trying to rival Robbored ?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’m never confident going into any game.  The Championship is unpredictable.  Blackpool (bottom 3) drew with table topping Burnley yesterday.

Why anyone speculates stuff like “must get 6 from the next two” or “if we can get 7 from the next 3” I don’t know.  It’s futile really.

I take the approach, especially with the club we currently are, we start with a point, try not to lose that, as every point, is a point gained.

Would sit here today and take a boring as **** nil-nil on Tuesday.

Indeed. This is our eighth consecutive season at this level, we should all know by now how unpredictable the championship can be.

Edited by Bris Red

I don't think that the play-offs were ever a realistic target for us this season were they?

I'd like to see us finish mid-table this season and would hope that (injuries and transfers permitting) we'd be targeting top 10 next season, and with fair winds possibly a bit more?