IGNORED

Assuming he goes

James54De

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Two questions based on predicted development…

1. Will Scott ever play for England?

2. Will he ever fetch a fee of £100m+?

Well we don't know the future but I'd be pretty confident he is capable of making an England squad one day. Too early judge anything more than that.

He might become a Premier League flop. Who knows? All we know at this stage is he justifies the hype and will deservedly get his opportunity. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Yes

No - but only because I think transfer fees are going to come down in the future.

I've been thinking that for 20 years, given up on it now - always seems like there is more money to spend.

I think if he went to a Wolves, Palace or Villa type club (outside chance of European places but not really going to make it) then I think he could move from there to a top 6 side for £100m+ in a few years. It will be interesting to buy him back for that much money when we get there and receive a 30% sell on for our own purchase.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

Can't help thinking that some of the comments on here about AS are a bit OTT. Yes, he is clearly a good young player. Talk of him playing for a Top 4 PL club is a bit premature imho.

He might get there but he needs to improve a lot to be at that level. His goals and assists need to improve and he needs more consistency with his final ball and decision making.

Obviously it is great to have a good young player in our side but we need to be a bit realistic about what he's worth. Talk of him reaching £100m one day is getting a bit silly. He only just scored his first league goal of a season where he has generally been in an AM role.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

Can't help thinking that some of the comments on here about AS are a bit OTT. Yes, he is clearly a good young player. Talk of him playing for a Top 4 PL club is a bit premature imho.

He might get there but he needs to improve a lot to be at that level. His goals and assists need to improve and he needs more consistency with his final ball and decision making.

Obviously it is great to have a good young player in our side but we need to be a bit realistic about what he's worth. Talk of him reaching £100m one day is getting a bit silly. He only just scored his first league goal of a season where he has generally been in an AM role.

The question I asked about the £100m was more from the comparisons with Grealish than anything else. I’m not sure what career stats were like vs Grealish at the same age.

Edited by formerly known as ivan

8 hours ago, Pezo said:

I've been thinking that for 20 years, given up on it now - always seems like there is more money to spend.

I think if he went to a Wolves, Palace or Villa type club (outside chance of European places but not really going to make it) then I think he could move from there to a top 6 side for £100m+ in a few years. It will be interesting to buy him back for that much money when we get there and receive a 30% sell on for our own purchase.

30 pct sell on clause of profit is quite rare...usually 15-20 pct, 25 pct at a push.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

The question I asked about the £100m was more from the comparisons with Grealish than anything else. I’m not sure what career stats were like vs Grealish at the same age.

Grealish at 18, I've just checked was at Notts County on loan in League One. Like Scott he begun age 17 and turned 18 early in the season.

At 18 into 19 he played 17 PL games- ratio of sub/start would have to look further. In an Aston Villa side in decline, bottom 3rd etc.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Grealish at 18, I've just checked was at Notts County on loan in League One. Like Scott he begun age 17 and turned 18 early in the season.

At 18 into 19 he played 17 PL games- ratio of sub/start would have to look further. In an Aston Villa side in decline, bottom 3rd etc.

I wonder where he learned that terrible dive he tried to pull off last night. Honestly Jack, no point trying to make it look like you got caught in a challenge, when the defender hasn't actually made a challenge. :facepalm:

Any of the promoted teams 'could' afford Scott, but I doubt any of them would want to pay what we'd be asking for on a single player. Both Fulham and Bournemouth made a couple of significant signings but none likely at our demanded level, then you have Forest and the amount the spent. I think Scott is smart enough to realise he needs to make a move to the right team in the league for his style rather than just getting a move to the league.

• Like 1

If we sold for £25m and we also have most of the Semenyo money I reckon we’d spend £8-10m this summer. 

We obviously need two centre backs and two midfielders assuming Kalas goes as well. One striker as well in my opinion.  Anything else will depend who else leaves I.e need a left back if Dasilva goes 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If we sold for £25m and we also have most of the Semenyo money I reckon we’d spend £8-10m this summer. 

We obviously need two centre backs and two midfielders assuming Kalas goes as well. One striker as well in my opinion.  Anything else will depend who else leaves I.e need a left back if Dasilva goes 

Any money left over for Hobnobs?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Slacker said:

You need to move back home immediately. Greatest biscuits ever.

Agreed, I'll have to see if they're sold on Amazon before I come over in the Summer, and bring an empty suitcase :laugh:

Edited by Med/MadHatter
Spelling error
  • Like 1

There is talk of course that Alex may be sold and loaned back to us.I can't honestly see that happening but his development here is obviously very impressive so it's not impossible a Prem team would allow him to continue his short term progression here.

I think that like Mr Smith said,it will mostly be driven by who leaves in the summer.Nige is clearly not a huge fan of loans and isn't afraid to use the academy. Will be interesting to see the next crop youngsters coming through. Tinnion is doing amazing things there.The senior players we do have seem to be having a really positive impact with them too

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slacker said:

There is talk of course that Alex may be sold and loaned back to us.I can't honestly see that happening but his development here is obviously very impressive so it's not impossible a Prem team would allow him to continue his short term progression here.

I think that like Mr Smith said,it will mostly be driven by who leaves in the summer.Nige is clearly not a huge fan of loans and isn't afraid to use the academy. Will be interesting to see the next crop youngsters coming through. Tinnion is doing amazing things there.The senior players we do have seem to be having a really positive impact with them too

I think Alex is already good enough to play PL football, and may well be best served going to a top team and being in training with those players. Unfortunately for us in that regard! 

• Like 1

No more than £5m in total would be my guess.

Nothing more from the Semenyo fee either.

As for expenditure we were prepared to buy the Wimbledon LB so clearly there, we do need 2 central defenders if Kalas is let go & a couple in CM to replace him & Massengo.

Really can’t see a striker coming in unless someone else leaves, we have Wells, Conway, Cornick, Bell, Weimann & Mehmeti & Sykes to play wide.

Pearson prefers a smaller squad & that’s plenty unless there is a departure.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

I would say a couple of million max. Although we've had a chunk for Semenyo and a potential big fee for Alex we won't be throwing big money around.

I just hope we are looking at his replacement now with a bid ready as early as possible as we've got the cash to do that straight away now before teams hold out for more once we've sold him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I appreciate this will no doubt sound unnecessarily grumpy - but does this really require a new thread when there's already a huge one, discussing all of this, in existence already?

There is already a thread discussing what biscuits you would spend 8 to 10 million pounds on?Must have missed that somehow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I appreciate this will no doubt sound unnecessarily grumpy - but does this really require a new thread when there's already a huge one, discussing all of this, in existence already?

This is a thread about biscuits, why shouldn't it be in the football section?

Chillax man.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

No more than £5m in total would be my guess.

Nothing more from the Semenyo fee either.

As for expenditure we were prepared to buy the Wimbledon LB so clearly there, we do need 2 central defenders if Kalas is let go & a couple in CM to replace him & Massengo.

Really can’t see a striker coming in unless someone else leaves, we have Wells, Conway, Cornick, Bell, Weimann & Mehmeti & Sykes to play wide.

Pearson prefers a smaller squad & that’s plenty unless there is a departure.

I think we need a big but mobile centre forward with pace to cover our options.. would need to be the right age of course & experienced.

• Like 1

Just now, Son of Fred said:

I think we need a big but mobile centre forward with pace to cover our options.. would need to be the right age of course & experienced.

So do I but unless we move one of our 6 or 7 current forward options on, then I just can’t see it.

Seeing as we have only just signed Cornick & Mehmeti, Wells has recently penned a new 2 year deal, Conway is our big hope & Weimann is captain, the only possibility appears to be a season loan for Bell, but Pearson has consistently talked him up & I think that he’ll be around the squad again next season.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So do I but unless we move one of our 6 or 7 current forward options on, then I just can’t see it.

Seeing as we have only just signed Cornick & Mehmeti, Wells has recently penned a new 2 year deal, Conway is our big hope & Weimann is captain, the only possibility appears to be a season loan for Bell, but Pearson has consistently talked him up & I think that he’ll be around the squad again next season.

This is where the logic behind the signing of Cornick puzzles me to be honest.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

51 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

This is where the logic behind the signing of Cornick puzzles me to be honest.

At least 3 of the above will be on the pitch at any one time (assuming Weimann plays as a 10). 1 or 2 on the bench so things can be changed and at least 1 injured during the season. He may not be seen as a regular starter but he doesn't weaken us from the bench.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What there is another Hob Nob appreciation thread!? 

20 hours ago, Slacker said:

I think that was a possible option if he went to Spurs. Of course we don't know who the Spurs manager will be next season.

On 16/03/2023 at 19:50, candygram for mongo said:

TimTam is virtually a Penguin but not as good.

Chocolate Hobnobs are the greatest biscuit ever, I know they are available in USA, some towns have international food markets where you can get them.

Penguins don't compare,is like championship and premiership,  tim tam is prem hahahahaha 

They aren't even built anything like each other so not even similar. 

On 16/03/2023 at 20:24, Davefevs said:

Heard that on my way back from Reading this evening (Alex Crook).

Lewis O’Brien would be up there with my first choices if Scott’s move to Wolves comes to fruition. I always liked him at Huddersfield and he’s just gone on loan from Forest to DC United. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tin said:

Lewis O’Brien would be up there with my first choices if Scott’s move to Wolves comes to fruition. I always liked him at Huddersfield and he’s just gone on loan from Forest to DC United. 

Was on my list, albeit I never thought he was achievable….he might be now though, although Forest might still go down! ?

On the biscuit front, anyone of my generation remember your Mum buying broken biscuits?

It was a little victory if you found a whole custard cream, or even better a whole chocolate bourbon, among the broken ones!

• Like 3