IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

This is going to be one of those summer threads that regularly hit the top of the page with new posts, that you open with anticipation that the posts will be about whether he’s gone/is staying, only to find that it’s a discussion about whether he goes chirp or cheep ?

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

This is going to be one of those summer threads that regularly hit the top of the page with new posts, that you open with anticipation that the posts will be about whether he’s gone/is staying, only to find that it’s a discussion about whether he goes chirp or cheep ?

As long as he doesn't go cheap, I'm not worried

Edited by E.G.Red
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Hmm............forget pictures of Lilly, I loved Sally Carr (helped me sleep at night ) !

12 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

I know what you mean, but I'll take your Sally Carr and raise you a Suzi Quatro (kept me awake at night!)

I must admit that when Dana sang "All Kinds of Everything" I am sure I was interpreting that far differently from the real meaning of the song. ?

In common with the last year, more quality will go out than likely to come in, so there will be a great premium on picking players with the right (ie the managers) mentality, and recruiting numbers, hopefully of solid Championship players with good injury records. SL talking a good game and aiming for playoffs, but I’d be happy with top half and above Ipswich.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

In common with the last year, more quality will go out than likely to come in, so there will be a great premium on picking players with the right (ie the managers) mentality, and recruiting numbers, hopefully of solid Championship players with good injury records. SL talking a good game and aiming for playoffs, but I’d be happy with top half and above Ipswich.

And Plymouth.

35 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

I'm sure that you're right with all that. Problem will come when SL decides that Nige hasn't delivered the play-offs  and decides to replace him - and off we go again on the same old cycle.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Calculus said:

I'm sure that you're right with all that. Problem will come when SL decides that Nige hasn't delivered the play-offs  and decides to replace him - and off we go again on the same old cycle.

I tend to agree, and I suspect if that scenario transpires we will end up with another SL ‘project’.

The timing of this just might co-incide with a Scottish SPL side based in Edinburgh deciding to change their manager...........

3 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Only just noticed the Bristol Sport branded backpack in the picture. Clearly his delivery of Nike gear from the FA wasn't quite extensive enough. 

Supply issues no doubt!    
I’m sure England will soon be turning out in O’Neills!!! ??

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

I tend to agree, and I suspect if that scenario transpires we will end up with another SL ‘project’.

The timing of this just might co-incide with a Scottish SPL side based in Edinburgh deciding to change their manager...........

If Coventry go up via the playoffs, they'll more than likely struggle. Club's often do daft things in their desperation to stay up and I could see Coventry doing just that and sacking Robins as they fight to avoid relegation. 

Leaving Steve Lansdown's favourite manager unemployed just as Nige comes to the end of his contract.... 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If Coventry go up via the playoffs, they'll more than likely struggle. Club's often do daft things in their desperation to stay up and I could see Coventry doing just that and sacking Robins as they fight to avoid relegation. 

Leaving Steve Lansdown's favourite manager unemployed just as Nige comes to the end of his contract.... 

I got the feeling with The SL interview on radio Brizz that he wasn't that keen on NP and that Robins was the man he would like to replace him with..

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

On 11/05/2023 at 20:14, Kid in the Riot said:

Crossed Middle Of The Road towards Bath Spa Station at about 5pm today and coming the other way was none other than Alex Scott with a chirp by the looks of it. 

11 hours ago, Crackers Corner said:

I'm not sure but there was a song which claimed that 2 Chirpys were cheap cheap.

Kid, I've fixed it for you...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, M.D said:

I got the feeling with The SL interview on radio Brizz that he wasn't that keen on NP and that Robins was the man he would like to replace him with..

He’s already got the Robins for the Robins merchandise mocked up. 

4 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Only just noticed the Bristol Sport branded backpack in the picture. Clearly his delivery of Nike gear from the FA wasn't quite extensive enough. 

And he chose not to wear his new Wolves branded kit...

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, M.D said:

Looks like Nige has told him a few home truths over his term here…and he didn’t take too kindly to it.

• Like 13
  • Flames 6

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Gossip today that they`ll be pulling in £70m EACH for Mac Allister and Caicedo.

Shame if they do would be nice to see some of these players staying with the clubs that give them a chance rather running after the money of the big 4 , Brighton are excellent.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, M.D said:

Unfortunately, I got the same impression and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he didn't renew NPs contract regardless of where we finish. I also get the same impression from JL.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Looks like Nige has told him a few home truths over his term here…and he didn’t take too kindly to it.

I think that is the case.

SL does not take criticism very well if past incidents are indicative.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sometimes the truth hurts , just hope SL takes it on the chin and accepts it and learns from it 

• Like 7
  • Robin 1

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Unfortunately, I got the same impression and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he didn't renew NPs contract regardless of where we finish. I also get the same impression from JL.

I think that is the case.

This is the problem I think. Look at Brighton, Tony Bloom is a great Business man but the first thing he did was to employ people who know about football and could run a club..

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Absolutely.

Tell SL some what he doesn't want to hear and you are out on your ear. Rub his balls with a warm soft cloth and you can get away with running the club into the ground.

Remember though, it's his money and his club.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Midlands Robin said:

Absolutely.

Tell SL some what he doesn't want to hear and you are out on your ear. Rub his balls with a warm soft cloth and you can get away with running the club into the ground.

Remember though, it's his money and his club.

If that was true then Nigel wouldn't still be here would he?

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 3

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Hopefully Lansdown will sell up and move on soon as he’s taken the club as far as he can. Won’t have to worry about upsetting his ego. As grateful as I am for Lansdown sand his money, he’s not a football man and has often made poor choices when it comes to Bristol City. I for one am glad we have a man at the helm who knows what he’s doing and isn’t afraid to tell SL what’s what 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Hopefully Lansdown will sell up and move on soon as he’s taken the club as far as he can. Won’t have to worry about upsetting his ego. As grateful as I am for Lansdown sand his money, he’s not a football man and has often made poor choices when it comes to Bristol City. I for one am glad we have a man at the helm who knows what he’s doing and isn’t afraid to tell SL what’s what 

30 years or so of SL, and we are no closer to promotion now than we have been since the 70s, the only way we are going up is to have a new owner come and throw money at it…

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

29 minutes ago, BLRed said:

If only he had come to you with your incredible foresight, it was foresight right? You knew all those choices were poor before he made them not after, right? If only we had a football man in charge with money like the other 91 league clubs.... oh wait....

• Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

That doesn’t really matter though, does it? They are in the premier league & will be again next season all for the price of just a few million fine….i would be happy with us breaking all the rules to get to the top tier & then just pay a few million quid to get away with it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

They probably regret it, playing all those crap teams in the EPL and collecting 100s of millions in the process :whistle:

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It was on BBCRB, pre-Burnley…was with Geoff Twentyman.  Let me see if I can find a link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0ffz56p

Just thought he came across a bit rude / dismissive of what Nige had achieved.

probably doesnt like the fact np knows how to run a football club after letting kid crayola and the ashton coconut loose on it

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It was on BBCRB, pre-Burnley…was with Geoff Twentyman.  Let me see if I can find a link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0ffz56p

Just thought he came across a bit rude / dismissive of what Nige had achieved.

Thanks for that, just listened  but really couldn't hear anything too untoward in what he said. The only thing that was said is that they had some disagreements, but that's fine , surely ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

30 years or so of SL, and we are no closer to promotion now than we have been since the 70s, the only way we are going up is to have a new owner come and throw money at it…

And to date some have thrown far less money at "it" than SL yet achieved so much more which is very sad.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That’s the thing with an experienced manager like Nige, not only has he seen it and done so can pass comment based on his experiences.

But, maybe more pertinent, he is unlikely to need the money so will tell someone like SL exactly how it is.

The last manager we had that was, sort of, in that position was Cottrill. 

I don’t believe getting Nige out is on the agenda currently but if we start badly next term I would not be totally surprised. One thing we can be certain of is that Nige is no yes man.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Thanks for that, just listened  but really couldn't hear anything too untoward in what he said. The only thing that was said is that they had some disagreements, but that's fine , surely ?

I think it was more what he didn't say.

Most recognise that NP has done a good job in clearing up the mess created by SL and MA, but SL bigs up Mark Robins at Coventry and the job he's done whilst ignoring NPs input here other than saying we should have had more points and further up the table (not necessarily in that interview) and his son said the same. They are on a different page to NP imo.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Its not that simple

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

And Reading and Sheff Wednesday and Bolton and WIgan and and and and ....

I will chuck Derby in the pot too , that not worked out has it chucking money at it , very nearly disastrous consequences 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Most recognise that NP has done a good job in clearing up the mess created by SL and MA, but SL bigs up Mark Robins at Coventry and the job he's done whilst ignoring NPs input here other than saying we should have had more points and further up the table (not necessarily in that interview) and his son said the same. They are on a different page to NP imo.

To be fair to Robins, I don’t think anyone  on here would have picked them as playoff contenders at the beginning of the season, or even 10 games in. What he has done is improve Coventry every year, despite all the challenges, and been given a bit of time to do it as they moved from League 2 to the brink of the Premiership.  

Nige is 2 years into sorting out our club, and other than the wobble around Christmas, we were never really in relegation troubles. He has cleared out a lot of high wage players, brought through a lot of youngsters, and put us back on a much more even keel than the shambles he inherited from Holden, Johnson and Ashton. One was out of his depth, while the less said about the other two the better. We now play a brand of football than is more exciting than the terminally boring last few years of Johnson and the truly dire under Holden.

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Yep.

27 minutes ago, chinapig said:

To recognise what Nigel has done he'd have to admit he created a mess by giving Ashton a free hand. He doesn't admit to making mistakes so he can't give Nigel credit.

On the other hand Gould and now Alexander have given Nigel great credit because it doesn't bruise their ego to do so.

Yep.

8 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Wonder if he got it through the rewards scheme…….

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Same here, thought it was a honest interview but it's very clear we have to improve on league position next season, which I'm sure Nigel has no illusions about. No bigging up for the sake of it.

I've read a fair few mentions about SL's ego but to me he's never come across to me as particularly an egotist, in fact completely the opposite. He's clearly quite reserved and not very confident in front of a mic/camera, although he did wam up a bit towards the end of the interview with 20man. He's very rarely in the press local or national and never on social media. Maybe I've just had too much of Dale Bloody Vince, on Twitter, Facebook, Local Papers, Local Radio, BBC TV, Radio 5, Blogs etc etc around here!!! Literally every week his mug, gleaming white teeth and trendy haircut (he's 61) pops up somewhere or other. FGR is all about Dale Vince and no-one dares disagree with him. His luck finally ran out last season and the lack of football knowledge was all too obvious. Suddenly he couldn't fix things by chucking a load of money at the problem.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Most recognise that NP has done a good job in clearing up the mess created by SL and MA, but SL bigs up Mark Robins at Coventry and the job he's done whilst ignoring NPs input here

7 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

They are on a different page to NP imo.

In honesty I feel the Lansdownes are on a different page to anybody whom understands football.

• Like 5