IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

As long as Scott is happy with that situation, we can hold out for £25M+ and good on him if that's the case.

It’s about keeping the agent happy as well. I’d assume club and Alex’s team have agreed on a value for him that would allow him to leave. If we were to hold further then that I’d imagine they would get dicey. 

Agent fees for the prem would be extremely high compared to a championship move. Remeber the Sunderland documentary and how Josh Majas agent handled it. Don’t think Alex’s agent is like that but it’s always something to keep in mind.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, George Rs said:

It’s about keeping the agent happy as well. I’d assume club and Alex’s team have agreed on a value for him that would allow him to leave. If we were to hold further then that I’d imagine they would get dicey. 

Agent fees for the prem would be extremely high compared to a championship move. Remeber the Sunderland documentary and how Josh Majas agent handled it. Don’t think Alex’s agent is like that but it’s always something to keep in mind.

As much as I rate that Maja comment I honestly don't believe that we saw the complete story behind that move - Donald was always going to come down on that agent after that series of events and how angry he was that Maja was just snatched away from him.

13 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Isn't his representative his dad?

Remember the days of the Academy producing the odd first team player every now and then? Makes me feel bloody chuffed that our club is producing this kind of player and we’re talking about whether a £20m+ bid should be accepted.

And we’ve still got the likes of Pring and Conway who could go for big money as well if they continue last seasons form. 

Crazy, really. But that Academy is worth its weight in gold (or Scott’s). 

Don’t expect Scott to be here come August 5th but can’t wait for the season to start! COYR

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Feels unlikely Wolves are going to give up now, and will meet our valuation shortly. 

I do wonder whether, given their long-term interest, Alex has already agreed terms with them. Possible. 

Are Personal terms generally agreed prior to bids being placed?

Just now, RUSSEL85 said:

Are Personal terms generally agreed prior to bids being placed?

You read about it regularly now where the agent will talk to the club and essentially agree with club that personal terms could be met

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Feels unlikely Wolves are going to give up now, and will meet our valuation shortly. 

I do wonder whether, given their long-term interest, Alex has already agreed terms with them. Possible. 

I doubt Wolves would be putting the effort in if they hadn't at least been told by the agent that the player is open to joining them.

Wages are likely to be the easy bit given what Scott is likely to be on right now.

Edited by mozo

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

You read about it regularly now where the agent will talk to the club and essentially agree with club that personal terms could be met

Yes i have heard this also, entirely possible that Scott and his agent have already verbally discussed this with Wolves.

I'm unsure I like the practice of potentially agreeing personal terms first then haggling on fee however maybe the market has evolved in that way. If it's done with agreement if all parties etc.

Could it make it more likely a player becomes restive or might it actually calm down a player a bit? Dilemma.

40 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

It used to be the case that the player being sold, if they hadn't asked for the transfer, would get a percentage of the transfer fee. Would that still be the case?

They will be due there team bonus and any contract bonus as he hasn't asked to leave I believe 

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

@Kid in the Riot you know how it works now mate with the rise of the power of the agent. 

Long before any deal has been agreed between the clubs, and this is on any decent sized transfer not just Alex, the player will know via his agent what club x is offering as a package. Indeed the agent will have negotiated that package with club x and the player without the player having had any ‘direct’ conversation.

The agent will also have made club x very aware of what the selling club will accept, not just the overall fee but also the payment profile.

The player will know exactly what to expect if he gets permission to speak to club x.

Going back a good while transfers would regularly fall through because terms with the player could not be agreed. That is almost unheard of now. 

Once a fee is agreed and the player goes to speak to club x the money side will already be in place.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

@Kid in the Riot you know how it works now mate with the rise of the power of the agent. 

Long before any deal has been agreed between the clubs, and this is on any decent sized transfer not just Alex, the player will know via his agent what club x is offering as a package. Indeed the agent will have negotiated that package with club x and the player without the player having had any ‘direct’ conversation.

The agent will also have made club x very aware of what the selling club will accept, not just the overall fee but also the payment profile.

The player will know exactly what to expect if he gets permission to speak to club x.

Going back a good while transfers would regularly fall through because terms with the player could not be agreed. That is almost unheard of now. 

Once a fee is agreed and the player goes to speak to club x the money side will already be in place.

That was my understanding. There's nothing to stop an agent having a detailed 'hypothetical' conversation with a prospective buying club?!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I hope so, would like to see better PL teams than Bournemouth (especially) and Wolves come in for him.

I'd love to see him at a top 8 club but i just don't think they will take the plunge right now. They are all probably happy for a lesser prem team to sign him for now and then snap him up if he tears it up in the prem this coming season.

Can't see Brighton even coming in with the young players they already have coming through like Enciso.

If a top 8 team came in then it would likely be to then loan him out to another prem team and at £25 million plus i don't see them wanting to do that

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

That was my understanding. There's nothing to stop an agent having a detailed 'hypothetical' conversation with a prospective buying club?!

No there isn’t but the risk to the agent is that clubs would not be too keen on their players being ‘touted’ by their agents.

Once this window closes agents will already be working on deals for January or indeed next summer. 

I am aware of agents talking to clubs about their clients who themselves are not aware that the conversations are happening. 

Clearly there is big money to be made by agents on large transfers but, those with lower profile players need a ‘ turnover ‘ to make a decent income.

11 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Only if there is a loan back,

I was also thinking about those moaning about selling our best players,

Where were we in the league with both Scott and semenyo in the side? Because it wasn't challenging for the play-offs, so keeping those 2 and not strengthening how does that suddenly make us promotion contenders....it doesn't,

You sacrifice 1 exceptional player and sign 3 or 4 great players with the cash and suddenly your team is alot better 

Yea, for the sake of getting a better team, certainly selling Scott and spending money on other players would be good. But 4 more players mean 3 more wages than now ( after seeling Scott ). I don't know if the staff will choose to invest a lot of that money into some better players.

1 hour ago, OliOTIB said:

As much as I rate that Maja comment I honestly don't believe that we saw the complete story behind that move - Donald was always going to come down on that agent after that series of events and how angry he was that Maja was just snatched away from him.

100%, it was obviously cut to make Sunderland look like they’d been “swindled” etc. But there is still truth to the situation.

Sometimes it’s the agents gunning for a move not the player. 

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

No. Great Uncle Bulgaria.

Tomsk Conway?

Re players getting a cut of the fee.  From memory it used to be 5%, then 2.5%…but reading online this seems to have disappeared and more like the agent gets a cut instead…but it all depends on the terms of the sale.  So, inconclusive answer I’m afraid.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

As soon as one club has a bid accepted then another club will bid that amount. At the moment wolves and Bournemouth are seeing what they can get away with paying. Would be weird if they didn’t do that 

Oh, I hadn’t thought of that. ?

My point is that you risk losing him to the other club if you dont just get the deal done.

We are also part of this and we’ve made it clear we want £25m. Whack down £25m if you really want him. Take out the others. Get the deal done. £5m here or there for a player of his ability is nothing to a PL club. If you really think he’s the real deal, do the deal. 

I’m actually surprised no one has just said ‘yep, we’ll have him. Here’s the cash.’ I think he’s that good. 

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

As soon as one club has a bid accepted then another club will bid that amount. At the moment wolves and Bournemouth are seeing what they can get away with paying. Would be weird if they didn’t do that 

My point is that you risk losing him to the other club if you dont just get the deal done.

We are also part of this and we’ve made it clear we want £25m. Whack down £25m if you really want him. Take out the others. Get the deal done. £5m here or there for a player of his ability is nothing to a PL club. If you really think he’s the real deal, do the deal. 

I’m actually surprised no one has just said ‘yep, we’ll have him. Here’s the cash.’ I think he’s that good. 

4 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

For the final time, it was never said that we would accept 25 million. It was 25 million at least. Lansdown said with lots of interest then that would drive the price up, and that's where we are now. 

25 million gets a club a seat at the table. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

For the final time, it was never said that we would accept 25 million. It was 25 million at least. Lansdown said with lots of interest then that would drive the price up, and that's where we are now. 

Let’s not kid ourselves. 25 will do it

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

I don’t really get what you mean. Say Wolves want to ‘get the deal done’ and bid £25m and offer Scott £40k per week.  City then tell the other clubs they have accepted £25m and Scott’s agent tells the other clubs they have offered him £40k a week which is acceptable. The other clubs then have a chance to offer the same.  So ‘getting the deal done’ doesn’t really exist.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

To be free fair you don’t really know that. It’s all a game and clubs say things all the time. I’m sure if someone bid £24m we would accept especially if it’s not in instalments 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

So here’s a question then: a PL club offers £25m last month. They say ‘take it or leave it. We get the deal done now.’ We say ‘sorry, that only gets you a seat at the table.’ Have I got that right? 

16 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I don’t really get what you mean. Say Wolves want to ‘get the deal done’ and bid £25m and offer Scott £40k per week.  City then tell the other clubs they have accepted £25m and Scott’s agent tells the other clubs they have offered him £40k a week which is acceptable. The other clubs then have a chance to offer the same.  So ‘getting the deal done’ doesn’t really exist.  

It does if you say ‘here’s £25m. Take it or leave it. We get the deal done now or we’re out. We’ll move elsewhere.’ 

We’d have to accept. Think about it:  AS is almost becoming too valuable for us to play in our team now. Imagine if he gets an ACL or another serious injury. His highest value, without gambling, is probably now.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

So here’s a question then: a PL club offers £25m last month. They say ‘take it or leave it. We get the deal done now.’ We say ‘sorry, that only gets you a seat at the table.’ Have I got that right? 

Landsdown was very clear that its 25 million plus and that more clubs interested means the price will be higher. 

When we get a 25 million bid, I'm sure our response will be "thanks, we'll get back to you" whilst we see if there is any clubs are willing to pay higher to gazump the club that's bid 25m.

There will be tens of people working on this deal and there will be lots of moving parts to it. What we can be assured of is that we have people at this club that will achieve the best outcome for Bristol City.

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

3 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

It does if you say ‘here’s £25m. Take it or leave it. We get the deal done now or we’re out. We’ll move elsewhere.’ 

We’d have to accept. Think about it:  AS is almost becoming too valuable for us to play in our team now. Imagine if he gets an ACL or another serious injury. His highest value, without gambling, is probably now.  

What will happen in your scenario (assuming £25m meets the amount / terms required) is either:

- we say thanks, yes, let’s wrap it up (unlikely, Alex Scott is key to this decision)

- we say thanks, but we have other interested clubs, and we need Alex’s view on this (most likely)

- we reject it and try to get more (unlikely, they’ve met the asking amount / terms

- other variants on the above.

Depends who the club is too.

Alex played yesterday with a bid in.  We are playing this well.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Landsdown was very clear that its 25 million plus and that more clubs interested means the price will be higher. 

When we get a 25 million bid, I'm sure our response will be "thanks, we'll get back to you" whilst we see if there is any clubs are willing to pay higher to gazump the club that's bid 25m.

There will be tens of people working on this deal and there will be lots of moving parts to it. What we can be assured of is that we have people at this club that will achieve the best outcome for Bristol City.

He did indeed say that, but don’t forget it’s possible to have a bit of bravado when you’re on the radio.  So you’re only guessing what the internal value is, like us all.  He might’ve meant exactly that, but we don’t know whether that’s the current acceptable value…it might even be higher, who knows?  If it is £25m, someone might offer £24m with better payment terms, that might mean a compromise he’s willing to accept.

(edit: press / media are also reporting £25m, we don’t know if that’s because of said radio interview or because that is in fact the required amount)

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

You make it sound like it takes an hour to get a deal done. Remember the agent is working everyone here to get the best deal for Scott.  If someone bids £25m then we would accept anyway but that club wouldn’t have an advantage in getting Scott unless nobody else bid £25m.  

• Like 1

Offers for players are so complex that I'm not sure 25m has any great meaning beyond a ballpark. How do you compare up front vs installments, add ons, sell ons etc - it may well be we end up with multiple bids which have a different "headline" value but the club considers roughly equal all things considered.

It's a balancing act with a lot of pieces. 

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 8
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He did indeed say that, but don’t forget it’s possible to have a bit of bravado when you’re on the radio.  So you’re only guessing what the internal value is, like us all.  He might’ve meant exactly that, but we don’t know whether that’s the current acceptable value…it might even be higher, who knows?  If it is £25m, someone might offer £24m with better payment terms, that might mean a compromise he’s willing to accept.

(edit: press / media are also reporting £25m, we don’t know if that’s because of said radio interview or because that is in fact the required amount)

The payment terms don't affect FFP, only cashflow, which thanks to SL isn'tan issue. £24m with better add-ons however might be considered...?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, semblar said:

The payment terms don't affect FFP, only cashflow, which thanks to SL isn'tan issue. £24m with better add-ons however might be considered...?

I know!!!!

At this kind of fee, FFP becomes irrelevant for us anyway.

Cashflow isn’t an issue for us either, as you say.  Although SL would like us to be less reliant on him…so it’s possible it could be a factor.

But…..don’t forget, FFP and / or Cashflow might be a consideration for the bidding club?

• Like 2

Oh absolutely Dave! Two 25 million pound offers probably look completely different. 

I think there are some people (not you) that think there is some mythical process to buying a player when the reality is that its probably a series of phone calls with ongoing talks between clubs. This is a huge deal so the agents will be working very hard to push up the value of the deal. 

None of us really know how we as a club are conducting the negotiations. I don't know if when clubs are offering X amount if we are then saying "no we want X amount" or if we are saying "we have lots of interest in Alex so we don't find this proposal acceptable" I think this has a bit of a way to go yet but I hope it's resolved by the start of the season because psychologically I've already said goodbye to Alex. 

• Like 1

I know!!!!

At this kind of fee, FFP becomes irrelevant for us anyway.

Cashflow isn’t an issue for us either, as you say.  Although SL would like us to be less reliant on him…so it’s possible it could be a factor.

But…..don’t forget, FFP and / or Cashflow might be a consideration for the bidding club?

Might be a stupid question, but I am hopelessly uneducated on football financials/ffp ?.

Why would our ffp or cash flow be a consideration for the bidding club? 

3 hours ago, George Rs said:

Might be a stupid question, but I am hopelessly uneducated on football financials/ffp ?.

Why would our ffp or cash flow be a consideration for the bidding club? 

I think Dave is referring to the buying clubs finances.

I think we've all been missing something here.

If 2 clubs bid £25million for him, we accept BOTH offers and don't tell the other.  £50million just like that.  

It's simple really, I'm surprised no one else has thought about this ever in the whole history of football...

• Like 2
  • Haha 15

8 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

You make it sound like it takes an hour to get a deal done. Remember the agent is working everyone here to get the best deal for Scott.  If someone bids £25m then we would accept anyway but that club wouldn’t have an advantage in getting Scott unless nobody else bid £25m.  

Silly me. I thought you just turned up with a lorry containing £25m in used notes, plonked it on the table and walked off with the player. 

• Hmmm 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

What will happen in your scenario (assuming £25m meets the amount / terms required) is either:

- we say thanks, yes, let’s wrap it up (unlikely, Alex Scott is key to this decision)

- we say thanks, but we have other interested clubs, and we need Alex’s view on this (most likely)

- we reject it and try to get more (unlikely, they’ve met the asking amount / terms

- other variants on the above.

Depends who the club is too.

Alex played yesterday with a bid in.  We are playing this well.

Or, Dave, we say (in my specific scenario where a club really wants him and wants to get it done): ‘Alex/Alex’s agent, xx FC want you. We think it’s a fair price. They want to get it done and want to move quickly to beat their competitors. But might withdraw if a bidding war starts. What do you think? They need a quick decision.’

I’m looking at this purely from the position of a club that really wants him but doesn’t want a daft bidding war. 

I think we are playing this perfectly well. But surely we can’t and won’t say no to a straight up £25m. Imagine that club withdrawing if we said ‘hold on for a bit’, and then no one else was prepared to pay our price. And then Alex Scott does an ACL in September. That’s a worst case scenario but it’s also part of the subtle negotiating leverage for a buying club. 

Anyway, it’s just one strand of a potentially tangled negotiating web. All I did was put forward the pretty uncontroversial view that if you really want him, then offer the cash, make it clear the offer is there for a (relatively) quick deal to avoid a bidding war. 

If I’m a PL club, that’s  my strategy to get what I want. Everyone else can have their own. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Or, Dave, we say (in my specific scenario where a club really wants him and wants to get it done): ‘Alex/Alex’s agent, xx FC want you. We think it’s a fair price. They want to get it done and want to move quickly to beat their competitors. But might withdraw if a bidding war starts. What do you think? They need a quick decision.’

I’m looking at this purely from the position of a club that really wants him but doesn’t want a daft bidding war. 

I think we are playing this perfectly well. But surely we can’t and won’t say no to a straight up £25m. Imagine that club withdrawing if we said ‘hold on for a bit’, and then no one else was prepared to pay our price. And then Alex Scott does an ACL in September. That’s a worst case scenario but it’s also part of the subtle negotiating leverage for a buying club. 

Anyway, it’s just one strand of a potentially tangled negotiating web. All I did was put forward the pretty uncontroversial view that if you really want him, then offer the cash, make it clear the offer is there for a (relatively) quick deal to avoid a bidding war. 

If I’m a PL club, that’s  my strategy to get what I want. Everyone else can have their own. 

Have the decency to pay the reasonable price that is asked by a poorer club . The extra few million will make absolutely no difference to the Prem club but a huge amount to a Championship one. 
Then everyone’s happy . 

• Like 6

Wolves apparent bid of either £20m [Telegrapgh] or £22m [Mail] rejected https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12305877/Wolves-improved-22m-offer-Bristol-Citys-Alex-Scott-rejected.html

6 hours ago, George Rs said:

Hopefully wolves will offer 22 and we will turn it down ?

Wolves apparent bid of either £20m [Telegrapgh] or £22m [Mail] rejected

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12305877/Wolves-improved-22m-offer-Bristol-Citys-Alex-Scott-rejected.html

As Bristol City are seen as an Unfashionable club by lots of Premier league sides, they seem to think there is no-way a team like us could have a player so valuable so they offer us peanuts thinking we will snap there hands off

When a club does finally stump up the asking price they will look back in years to come and say what a bargain they had

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

On 13/07/2023 at 11:50, Riaz said:

Nah, but @TV Tom says Alex Scott will never go there!

We'll see, personally i think he's got higher ambitions than Bournemouth, wouldn't be surprised if there are one or two other teams asking Scott's agent to be "kept in the picture"