IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

Just now, petehinton said:

Pearson sounded pretty downbeat on RB then. Talked loads about how well they’ve recruited then Confirmed Scott medical, doesn’t know details of tbe deal, says he’ll have to wait to find out  

He sounded very annoyed, almost felt he wanted to say he knows as much as us! Interesting he didn’t deny wanting to now look at a striker and other plans in the market, he said it’s whether or not we can but he cannot comment right now. 

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

He sounded very annoyed, almost felt he wanted to say he knows as much as us! Interesting he didn’t deny wanting to now look at a striker and other plans in the market, he said it’s whether or not we can but he cannot comment right now. 

Tbf he’s lost two of his best players in what he wants to be a promotion push. I’d personally be very surprised if we didn’t get replacements for both. 

its the last year of his deal and potentially his last ever season as a manager. He will want to give it as best a shot as possible. 

• Like 2

Trying not to be too bitter?  But it is hard to take, that after 40 or so years supporting Bristol City FC  .......we have now become merely a pheckin feeder club for Bournemouth.  So much for ambition ?  Ha!        Though maybe it is a crafty way of finally getting into the Prem? ......... by gradually replacing the entire B'mouth team with Bristol City players........instead of Bournemouth and Boscombe....it'll be Bournemouth and Bristol?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, petehinton said:

Tbf he’s lost two of his best players in what he wants to be a promotion push. I’d personally be very surprised if we didn’t get replacements for both. 

its the last year of his deal and potentially his last ever season as a manager. He will want to give it as best a shot as possible. 

Totally agree, when we’ve seen LJ being given so much luxury, 13 signings some seasons and £2M on Engvall’s of the world, it’s a crying shame we didn’t have Nige back then! He deserves to be backed. I am sure we can do something reasonably. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

Trying not to be too bitter?  But it is hard to take, that after 40 or so years supporting Bristol City FC  .......we have now become merely a pheckin feeder club for Bournemouth.  So much for ambition ?  Ha!               y

You expect us to be able to turn down bids of over £20m? 

• Like 6

Just now, maxjak said:

Trying not to be too bitter?  But it is hard to take, that after 40 or so years supporting Bristol City FC  .......we have now become merely a pheckin feeder club for Bournemouth.  So much for ambition ?  Ha!               y

This is exactly how I feel about it right now. Totally understand that it’s the modern world/game and that players want to further their careers and play in the PL. Doesn’t make it any easier to accept that we keep losing players to a sh1tty little club like Bournemouth though.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

We like the majority have little choice but to sell when Premier League clubs come in. The money for the club and new wages for outgoing player is impossible to turn down.

Edited by Dynamite Red
  • Like 1

This thread has got embarrassing.  So what if he's gone to Bournemouth?  They are an established PL club, he's more likely to get game time than if he went to a "bigger" club, and he gets to show everyone what he can do against the best clubs in the country.  Very best of luck to Alex on the next stage of a hopefully glittering career

• Like 9

If the club have told Nige one thing then done another during the preparation for todays match then that just about sums up our top brass over the past few years. 

Feel sorry for the bloke he’s always been that one bit of bad luck from having some great success here. What a rubbish week coupled with Tommy’s hammy. Still, I trust nige to only replace these players with players that deserve it rather than LJs transfer policy of old. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Totally agree, when we’ve seen LJ being given so much luxury, 13 signings some seasons and £2M on Engvall’s of the world, it’s a crying shame we didn’t have Nige back then! He deserves to be backed. I am sure we can do something reasonably. 

LJ also lost his two best players just when a promotion push was going to determine whether he kept his job or not. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Pearson has said . We’re close to our ceiling height on wages. 

Depends on whether that statement takes into account offers on the table. Alex had one, as well as Kalas.

That coud easily be £20kpw-£30kpw budgeted free up, assuming latter isnt signing the former now no longer needed with AS leaving.

12 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Don't think we have cash flow issues so not sure this is relevant for ffp calcs?

Not that I'm aware of - time of deal dictates FFP impact - recognised at transfer for the total deal amount (so if £20m up front and £5m over 3 years, its just recognised at £25m point of transfer) - i.e. £8m for Bryan hit the books 18-19 season. Although anyone can feel free to correct me as not 100% certain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

LJ also lost his two best players just when a promotion push was going to determine whether he kept his job or not. 

LJ forced that on himself with the overspending from the "Clubs in Bag" Approach. He agreed to the strategy with MA at the end of the day.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

Yes.........but only if the player is prepared to stay., if Scott no longer wants to play for us, then he obviously goes .

I can think of probably 50,000 reasons he might want to move! It's a life changing salary, he is not going to want to stay.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CosmosUK said:

If the club have told Nige one thing then done another during the preparation for todays match then that just about sums up our top brass over the past few years. 

Feel sorry for the bloke he’s always been that one bit of bad luck from having some great success here. What a rubbish week coupled with Tommy’s hammy. Still, I trust nige to only replace these players with players that deserve it rather than LJs transfer policy of old. 

James Piercy had just released this. Similar to his interview on the radio, but seems more agitated. I’ve said it before but I really don’t think the board are that enamoured with Nigel. LJ got everything he wanted let’s be honest and made a mess 

873B82FE-A327-4B90-A6E4-48E604218A8A.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Football aside, the Bournemouth area has to be a bit nicer for AS to live in than Wolverhampton. Just my opinion having been to both places.

About the ambition thing, it just comes down to maths and making gradual progress.

We will judge this better at the end of the season.

Closer to home as well - can't begrudge him that aspect.

Just a shame that someone such as Brighton or Palace didn't come in for him; Bournemouth for me could either be a fantastic move or all go pear shaped under Iroala. There's always risk.

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

Depends on whether that statement takes into account offers on the table. Alex had one, as well as Kalas.

That coud easily be £20kpw-£30kpw budgeted free up, assuming latter isnt signing the former now no longer needed with AS leaving.

Not that I'm aware of - time of deal dictates FFP impact - recognised at transfer for the total deal amount (so if £20m up front and £5m over 3 years, its just recognised at £25m point of transfer) - i.e. £8m for Bryan hit the books 18-19 season. Although anyone can feel free to correct me as not 100% certain.

Tbf they’re not going to put wages on a budget for contracts that haven’t been signed 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

LJ forced that on himself with the overspending from the "Clubs in Bag" Approach. He agreed to the strategy with MA at the end of the day.

We neither of us know what goes on behind the scenes, but I’d wager money on the fact that LJ didn’t agree to whatever ‘strategy’ resulted in those sales. 

He bought into the fact that we had to sell, of course, but not at all costs. We had no plan b in place for either of those departures and it cost us dear. 

2 minutes ago, CosmosUK said:

To be fair we don’t know what’s gone on , Will all be clearer in next day or two , Nige sounds pissed off but that does not mean either he’s been stitched up or we haven’t got what we want, everyone guessing at this stage 

Same thing with signings just because he’s saying needs to see what can be done ( wages etc ) doesn’t mean much , maybe not earning a fortune but Scott’s wages gone now , let’s wait and see 

• Like 1

Im not as down as many seem to be about this.

Very very good player goes for over £20m to an average club who happen to currently be in a league above us.

The whole thing is underwhelming but we have not just let goals and goals and assists and assist walk out of the club for nothing when spending millions in the first place as we have with many over the last few years.

Was Scott a ray of light, yes. Did he win games on his own, maybe. Can we build in £20m profit, certainly.

Good price for a very good player but should galvanise us spent right.

I do think its an underwhelming move for him and I am City first and ex players second, but could look a poor move in 12 months time and might be back down The Gate sooner than we think out of the away dressing room.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Agreed. A week ago we felt like we were potentially a couple of players short. Since then, we have sold our best player for approx £25m and our 1st choice striker has suffered a notable injury.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if we didn't make some effort to strengthen with the money. Have to say it would feel a bit unambitious not to.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Just seen Pearsons club interview after tonight. Scott wasn't mentioned but it's clear the bloke is absolutely fuming, he's ready to fight 

Nige knows what he’s doing. He’s sending a direct message to the board. 

Nige is very clever in the way in which he uses the media/journalists.

He’s already got us talking about how frustrated he seems. 

I mentioned the other day about how we shouldn’t believe everything that he says to the press.

Within a matter of days we have lost our key striker through injury, and have now agreed to sell our best player. 

Nige will ensure that the message gets out about needing to spend money, and that the fans back him.

• Like 8

The reaction of Pearson is the biggest concern for me. Clearly not been in the loop it feels and is (rightly you would think) somewhat pissed off by it.

Rather naively assumed he was in the inner circle for these things and we would be ready to go with Plan B.  

• Like 1

Fear, if he does go, we’ve little time now to negotiate the 3 players we need a quality keeper, midfielder and forward  - although a loan for the forward might give us a bit more elbow room time wise. If we don’t move in this window, we all know January isn’t a great time to do business. 

Apart from the Conway injury saga, at least we now know why Nige was in a mood earlier - although that may be ‘an act’ to prise as much as he can from Steve’s pockets to fund incoming transfers.

12 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

To be fair we don’t know what’s gone on , Will all be clearer in next day or two , Nige sounds pissed off but that does not mean either he’s been stitched up or we haven’t got what we want, everyone guessing at this stage 

Same thing with signings just because he’s saying needs to see what can be done ( wages etc ) doesn’t mean much , maybe not earning a fortune but Scott’s wages gone now , let’s wait and see 

My guess and no inside knowledge here disclaimer

I think we expected a bigger market for Scott this summer (team of the season, young player of the year, England cup winning squad, NTT20 number 1 for players under 21 etc) hence being so firm on £25m with expecting some of the big boys coming in for him and then were disappointed when we saw only Wolves (who were actually broke) and Bournemouth really seemingly having a firm interest. Given this is the peak of Scott's value and the risk of an injury or how much value might come off in even 6 months the club have panicked a little at the lack of interest so far decided to take a slightly lower guaranteed amount, but by the sounds of it £20m + £5m, whereas it sounds like Pearson was told he wouldn't lose him for less than £25m (maybe even £30m) guaranteed.

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

The reaction of Pearson is the biggest concern for me. Clearly not been in the loop it feels and is (rightly you would think) somewhat pissed off by it.

Rather naively assumed he was in the inner circle for these things and we would be ready to go with Plan B.  

I don't necessarily think this is what's happening, but let's dare to be creative for a second..........?

........perhaps this is all part of a plan to portray that Pearson hasn't been given any of the money from the Scott sale, in order to avoid clubs taking the piss and driving up the price when we look to sign a replacement.

Maybe Pearson will have funds made available to him, but we just don't want other clubs to know that.

(perhaps a bit fanciful, I know ?)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I don't necessarily think this is what's happening, but let's dare to be creative for a second..........?

........perhaps this is all part of a plan to portray that Pearson hasn't been given any of the money from the Scott sale, in order to avoid clubs taking the piss and driving up the price when we look to sign a replacement.

Maybe Pearson will have funds made available to him, but we just don't want other clubs to know that.

(perhaps a bit fanciful, I know ?)

I mean possible…but then  he really should be on the stage.

Edited by cityexile

I’m confident, despite any media noises, we have a plan B and Nige is in on it. Did he want to keep Alex? Course, we all did. But he also wanted to keep Antoine in January, and within hours of him leaving we had Anis and Harry in the door. If you work on the basis this has been afoot since Percy mooted it last week, wheels will have been in motion. I would not be shocked if plan B arrives in the next week.

And it had better include a goalkeeper 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

His interview with the local media is slightly more pointed if you look atvthe Bristol Post website, nothing overly controversial though

so just this below in text form... NP only said this past weekend if a club meet the price then they will talk, if they don't and he goes for less than £25m then he would not be happy.

“I’ve got nothing to say, really, apart from that the club has given him permission,” Pearson said. “Outside of that I’ve got no comment. I couldn’t give you the details… I knew (about the bid) today. And that’s it, I’m not saying anymore.”

When pushed further, he added: “I’d been planning to keep him. It’s nothing to do with me. It’s a club decision. I’m disappointed because we’ve got a better chance of being successful if we keep our best players so that’s where I sit on it.”

2 minutes ago, chowie said:

so just this below in text form... NP only said this past weekend if a club meet the price then they will talk, if they don't and he goes for less than £25m then he would not be happy.

“I’ve got nothing to say, really, apart from that the club has given him permission,” Pearson said. “Outside of that I’ve got no comment. I couldn’t give you the details… I knew (about the bid) today. And that’s it, I’m not saying anymore.”

When pushed further, he added: “I’d been planning to keep him. It’s nothing to do with me. It’s a club decision. I’m disappointed because we’ve got a better chance of being successful if we keep our best players so that’s where I sit on it.”

I’d love to know who in the club is making these decisions…

• Hmmm 1

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m confident, despite any media noises, we have a plan B and Nige is in on it. Did he want to keep Alex? Course, we all did. But he also wanted to keep Antoine in January, and within hours of him leaving we had Anis and Harry in the door. If you work on the basis this has been afoot since Percy mooted it last week, wheels will have been in motion. I would not be shocked if plan B arrives in the next week.

He's previously said we have a plan if he stays and we have a plan if he goes - so I think your confidence is well founded. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

My guess and no inside knowledge here disclaimer

I think we expected a bigger market for Scott this summer (team of the season, young player of the year, England cup winning squad, NTT20 number 1 for players under 21 etc) hence being so firm on £25m with expecting some of the big boys coming in for him and then were disappointed when we saw only Wolves (who were actually broke) and Bournemouth really seemingly having a firm interest. Given this is the peak of Scott's value and the risk of an injury or how much value might come off in even 6 months the club have panicked a little at the lack of interest so far decided to take a slightly lower guaranteed amount, but by the sounds of it £20m + £5m, whereas it sounds like Pearson was told he wouldn't lose him for less than £25m (maybe even £30m) guaranteed.

In that scenario it doesn't necessarily have to be that the club have panicked. You could easily say that they made a rational judgement based on the options available. 

I never thought the £25m was a genuine red line anyway, and had expected a little below. Maybe it will still reach that though.

2 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

3 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Selling Scott ? The final decision is with SL . No one wants him to go , but with Alex having two years left it was maximum sell value . You also have to think of the player. He might have wanted to go . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

In that scenario it doesn't necessarily have to be that the club have panicked. You could easily say that they made a rational judgement based on the options available. 

I never thought the £25m was a genuine red line anyway, and had expected a little below. Maybe it will still reach that though.

You could, but you could also say the club made a rod for their own back with club officials quoting £25m in public (Pearson tv or radio whichever it was, pretty sure Tinnion on social media) so it raises the fan expectation that it is a red line. Would bigger clubs have bid for Scott if we hadn’t been so public about £25m? Would that in turn have got other bigger clubs interested? 

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Max wasn't great again tonight was he?

Came and then went back and got his positioning wrong for their equaliser. 

Then in the second half kicked the ball directly to their player who played it to an Oxford player who had an abysmal effort.

Signs for me in last 2 games, that there's been no improvement since last season.

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Hope NP doesn't do an erstwhile Wolves boss, and walk !

Can’t see it, given how rational he seems to be about stuff like this he’ll understand the importance of it while still being disappointed, probably also annoyed that it’s happened once the season has started  rather than a few weeks ago. Bournemouth seem to have come back for Scott after the move for another player collapsed 

• Like 2

Just now, NcnsBcfc said:

Then in the second half kicked the ball directly to their player who played it to an Oxford player who had an abysmal effort.

Signs for me in last 2 games, that there's been no improvement since last season.

The Alex Scott thread may not be the place for my thoughts on Max. But I think distribution wise he’s well below par, decision making he’s well below par and I don’t see any more than a good shot stopper. He’s not championship standard and the fact we have no decent competition is criminal.

• Like 15
  • Hmmm 1

Ultimately this is what failure on the pitch looks like. It isn’t missing out on away trips to Anfield, or features on Match if the Day, or not signing players for £25m, it’s constantly- season after season- losing you’re best players to small, crap outfits like Bournemouth, Brighton and Brentford. And being able to raid good clubs like Derby for their best players isn’t a consolation for me. Nor is knowing that City will likely be a strong Championship club decades after the likes of Bournemouth have been bulldozed for a new John Lewis. It just sucks, because losing a good player is so much worse than losing repeatedly, as the dream just fades.

Edited by Bedred31
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Robin 1

22 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yes, no one at the club is going to say "we're going to blow it all on 4 or 5 players", that would just alert clubs to hike up the price, but I (like your self ) think we'll have a couple in by the end of the window, if not sooner .

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

More concerned if there’s been yet another situation where the manager has been hung out to dry (think Cotterill in 2015) once again than Scott leaving. He was obviously going this summer, but if this causes issues with Pearson through negligence then that’s a worry.

Agreed. 2015 was a bit different IMO but agreed.

Yes NP has to be backed now, and backed within sensible but ambitious limits. He in conjunction with Gould did excellent things, they more than earned the right- kept us afloat, cut costs, taken it all on the chin- he must now be backed as far as we can within sensible limits.

• Like 1

• Admin

I wouldn’t be surprised if Pearson isn’t handed any funds from the sale. I’m not so sure the Lansdowns are as big fans of him as many of the fans are and a season in lower mid-table would justify not offering him a new contract.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Absolute bollocks, their equaliser was a defensive error and a good header nothing to do with max’s positioning and the kick to their player was the pass back to him, it was awful he had no chance to put his foot through it.

59 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Football aside, the Bournemouth area has to be a bit nicer for AS to live in than Wolverhampton. Just my opinion having been to both places.

About the ambition thing, it just comes down to maths and making gradual progress.

We will judge this better at the end of the season.

I’ve never been to Bournemouth but I can confirm you’re 100% correct. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, italian dave said:

We neither of us know what goes on behind the scenes, but I’d wager money on the fact that LJ didn’t agree to whatever ‘strategy’ resulted in those sales. 

He bought into the fact that we had to sell, of course, but not at all costs. We had no plan b in place for either of those departures and it cost us dear. 

If he seriously couldn't see the impact of the inflated wages and what that meant for liquidity and FFP - then that's his problem. He outed that he had sign off on transfers. More than once.

Comparatively, NP has multiple times quoted the proviso of bringing parity of wages across the squad and the way in which it eases squad and player management, and the financial implications.

Anyhow - I won't derail this thread getting back unto the LJ/ MA critiques. The benefit here is we have time to resolve. Let's hope Tinns et al have targets lined up, still time to get some business done.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

More concerned if there’s been yet another situation where the manager has been hung out to dry (think Cotterill in 2015) once again than Scott leaving. He was obviously going this summer, but if this causes issues with Pearson through negligence then that’s a worry.

He knew that Scott was likely to go and I'm sure he knows roughly what funds he'll have available already. He will already have plans in place with Tins that they'll be putting into action. Whether they come off will come down to the transfer window gods 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I hate to say it, but I REALLY don't rate Max. I feel awful saying it. What I wouldn't give to have Kaspar Schmeichel! Quality keeper and leader. I know it's dreamland, but hey. 

He really isn’t good enough at commanding his box, he’s a decent player but he’s not going to get you top 6, thought he was very poor for their goal. We definitely need a better goalkeeper.  

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I said it wouldn't be £25m guaranteed. The price was always a deal of £25m and Scott was firmly up for sale. Since Jan.

It's a good deal for us. A very good deal. 

We need to strengthen though, if we have any aspirations of top half. 

Agreed - money we simply can’t turn down, sadly.

You reckon we will strengthen?

Another in the long line of Bristol City self-inflicted mess-ups. The owner spent over £100m trying to justify why he thought LJ was a talent. We now have a decent side where you need some magic to define your credentials for promotion, and yet he pulls in the funding. It is a classic BCFC self-imposed cluster duck. We move from promotion hopefuls to also-rans. It is an idiotic decision, in line with a 25-year run of other idiotic decisions. There are times when you need to hold back, and times when you need to hold firm or expand. In these areas, we have been found continually wanting. There is no understanding of timing. 

So you ask a manager to decimate the wage bill, not spend money, and develop youth, and the one thing he asks is to keep the special talent, so we can get promoted. But no, you cannot spend money and we will sell anyone decent. There is a good reason why BCFC has never threatened the Prem. We expect to now do it by not spending money and selling any decent talent. Oh, and if we sell anyone, we cannot spend the money. 

This was THE season to keep Alex Scott, at least until Jan. There is a good reason why 52 , maybe 53 other clubs have been to the Prem and BCFC not. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 3

28 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Good post, was saying to a mate earlier this reminds me of Cotts post opening day defeat to Sheff Wed and then Brentford with the whole Gayle and Gray saga. LJ was a yes person hence why he was liked. 

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I said it wouldn't be £25m guaranteed. The price was always a deal of £25m and Scott was firmly up for sale. Since Jan.

It's a good deal for us. A very good deal. 

We need to strengthen though, if we have any aspirations of top half. 

@W-S-M Seagull what was it to sit at the table again?

Muppet.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

Did I see somewhere (NP said it in an interview back along maybe) that even with the 20/25 million coming in we can’t go out and get who ever we want as we are near the wage limit… and can’t imagine AS was on too much wage wise 

something to that effect..  can’t quite remember the wording or what was exactly implied ?

Edited by Not Banksy

2 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Agreed - money we simply can’t turn down, sadly.

You reckon we will strengthen?

City HAVE to strengthen now. Scott gone, and Conway out for upwards of 3 months. Easily 2 of the most talented players at the club. I’m unsure of who there is out there but if there are no more incomings, it may be another mediocre season.