IGNORED

Wrexham host Notts County

Fordy62

25 minutes ago, maxjak said:

That is  just simply NOT true..........Parkinson is an excellent coach/ manager, and to trivialise his accomplishments with such a glib statement is absurd and simply NOT the case.  A biased and inaccurate assessment, which says more about your slanted observations than PP's career.   Let's see who go's up shall we?

I don't care about Wrexham, but from the games I've seen of them this season in the fa cup and today they were long ball merchants. Parkinson was the same at both Bolton and Bradford. That's his style and he has always been successful with it. Just not my cup of tea ☺️

• Like 1

What they've done at Wrexham is a clever concept. Reynolds in particular seems a master of marketing.

They must be raking it in from advertisers, from Reynolds' own companies as well as the likes of Expedia and Tik Tok. 

I think it's evident they do care a lot about the football club and it's community. Sure, they'll be a few naff moments along the way, as they're both North American and have worked in Hollywood.

But they seem to be doing a decent enough job so far, keeping the existing fanbase onside whilst growing a new fanbase worldwide.

Little doubt they will be promoted straight out of League Two next season; a much easier division to be promoted from than the National League. 

They'll be one of the bigger clubs at L1 level too, so I'm fully expecting them to be in the Championship in the not too distant future. After that, who knows...

• Like 2

I don’t know all the detail, but from an outsider it looks like they’ve just pumped money into the club similar to your Chelsea’s and Man City’s but at a lower level (more like Salford). 

it’ll be great for the area and the community,  but Im not sure it’s something I can get behind. Especially the people jumping behind them now because there’s a series and it’s fashionable.

Shame Notts County couldn’t put that penalty away to keep the title race alive - all but gone now you feel.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I don’t know all the detail, but from an outsider it looks like they’ve just pumped money into the club similar to your Chelsea’s and Man City’s but at a lower level (more like Salford). 

it’ll be great for the area and the community,  but Im not sure it’s something I can get behind. Especially the people jumping behind them now because there’s a series and it’s fashionable.

Shame Notts County couldn’t put that penalty away to keep the title race alive - all but gone now you feel.

It’s probably how Salford should have done it! Although as someone said they do seem to care a lot more. Salford got the bbc doc out of it, but TikTok sponsorship alone for Wrexham is several million - 2 Year deal with a promotion bonus. Disney+ episodes making £500k per episode for Disney so that’ll renew. The Hollywood aspect to it makes it truly a global ‘brand’ that’ll only grow as they work their way up, it goes against football purists but it’s always been a business for the big boys too. Even getting Ben Foster on board was good for both parties / Ben’s ‘brand’ before a ball was kicked. It’s not quite what I used to try and do on championship manager (that’s more the Newcastle approach!) but it’ll be an interesting watch to see who, how (they may need investment) & what they add staff & player wise. 

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

You should probably watch Welcome to Wrexham before responding... 

"It'll be great for the area and the community" is ultimately all that matters, isn't it? No-one is asking you to go and support Wrexham, but I'd be interested to hear why you can't get behind that principle? 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Wrexham already have more financial clout, and probably a higher wage bill, than Salford.

Probably a bigger wage? So you are guessing? When they work out it takes time and money to get out off rovers leauge, and nobody's interested in netflix docs no more, I'm sure they will stick around 

53 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm I the only Otiber who has no idea who Ryan Reynolds was?

No, I have no idea either.

Don’t watch Hollywood films, so there are absolutely loads of these actors that completely pass me by.

• Like 4

On 11/04/2023 at 16:56, Red-Robbo said:

To be fair, I didn't know who he was either, but his post match interview was everything you want your owner to be really, great respect given out, humble, and obviously loves the game

I've not been following the conference but can't believe 2 teams over 100 points!  Crazy times, should defo be 2 auto spots!

• Like 3

On 10/04/2023 at 20:00, Kid in the Riot said:

You should probably watch Welcome to Wrexham before responding... 

"It'll be great for the area and the community" is ultimately all that matters, isn't it? No-one is asking you to go and support Wrexham, but I'd be interested to hear why you can't get behind that principle? 

Wrexham have been in the doldrums for a fair few years now. As you say - great for the community and the area as a whole as with the world wide publicity comes plenty of money for local businesses 

You can’t help but be happy for those fans who have stuck with them through the last 10-15 years too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

To be fair, I didn't know who he was either, but his post match interview was everything you want your owner to be really, great respect given out, humble, and obviously loves the game

I've not been following the conference but can't believe 2 teams over 100 points!  Crazy times, should defo be 2 auto spots!

I'm not trying to talk down the two teams' achievement, but both clubs have budgets that would be similar to putting Man City and Arsenal into the Championship. Mullin at Wrexham earns £4.5K a week, whereas some players at other National League clubs are still on part-time contracts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm not trying to talk down the two teams' achievement, but both clubs have budgets that would be similar to putting Man City and Arsenal into the Championship. Mullin at Wrexham earns £4.5K a week, whereas some players at other National League clubs are still on part-time contracts.

That's football though, happens in every division pretty much, money talks these days and we would be no different if we dropped down a division or two I'm sure

• Like 1

No mate, you are not alone.

Sci-Fi; therefore not interested in the slightest.

God only knows who the other bloke is.

Edited by The Gasbuster

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

No mate, you are not alone.

Sci-Fi; therefore not interested in the slightest.

God only knows who the other bloke is.

I thought Reynolds originally made his name in rom-coms, before moving onto Marvel films... either way, I can't recall seeing a single film he's been in, but was aware of who he was, as he's a pretty famous Hollywood actor. 

I do like the Wrexham story and what the owners have done regarding the local community and they are genuine for sure.
I just think it's a shame that Notts County who by comparison don't have anywhere near that money are going to be pipped to automatic promotion with 100+ points. Really hope if they don't make it they go up in the playoffs as they very much deserve it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I do like the Wrexham story and what the owners have done regarding the local community and they are genuine for sure.
I just think it's a shame that Notts County who by comparison don't have anywhere near that money are going to be pipped to automatic promotion with 100+ points. Really hope if they don't make it they go up in the playoffs as they very much deserve it.

Given the side that are now going up and down each season, I think the league should consider 2 automatics and 1 play off winner promotions. Like you say, to get over 100 points and still not go up isn't right.

• Like 4

No you're not. First I seen of him was when he was advertising BT or something a few years ago. I don't keep up with Hollywood and stopped taking interest in the Oscars decades ago when I discovered that they cheated Rin Tin Tin out of being awarded the first Oscar.

Then again when I heard a couple of years ago that The Killers had sold out Ashton Gate that's the first time I had ever heard of them! 

37 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Their Danish owners have invested £12m since 2019, so not sure about that.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

No you're not. First I seen of him was when he was advertising BT or something a few years ago. I don't keep up with Hollywood and stopped taking interest in the Oscars decades ago when I discovered that they cheated Rin Tin Tin out of being awarded the first Oscar.

Then again when I heard a couple of years ago that The Killers had sold out Ashton Gate that's the first time I had ever heard of them! 

If you'd heard "Mr Brightside" being played at every wedding reception and party for anyone aged 25-45 for the past decade plus, you'd have heard quite enough of The Killers. ?

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Their Danish owners have invested £12m since 2019, so not sure about that.

It's pocket change in comparison to Wrexham though isn't it? 

Like I said, I'm not against a club like Wrexham getting the money and good owners, they're a traditional club who shouldn't be loitering in the Non League scene for as long as they have been.

Hopefully Notts County go up and they get the same amount of recognition as Wrexham have got, but I doubt that will be the case.

54 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

The Disney+ series is quite good, but haven't we seen this a couple of years ago with Salford City?

Their inevitable rise seems to have slowed down recently....

Looks like they are losing around £3-4m a year going from the last few seasons, apparently money from directors can count as turnover under ffp in leagues 1/2 and the ex-man u players are probably all very wealthy but they should have got paid something for selling Thomas-Asante to WBA at least.

I see them as a smaller club with money like Forest Green and it took them 5 seasons and 2 play off losses before getting out of League 2, looks like Salford are in with a shout of the play offs and this is their 3rd League 2 season. I can't see Salford getting past the glass ceiling in League 1 when you start competing with the likes of Ipswich, Wednesday, Bolton etc. With Wrexham though I definitely think they could one day compete in the championship at least (and with their high profile sponsors would be interesting to see where they would stack up financially against other champ sides), would laugh if they somehow missed promotion this season though having their owners already being given the freedom of Wrexham after beating Notts.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Looks like they are losing around £3-4m a year going from the last few seasons, apparently money from directors can count as turnover under ffp in leagues 1/2 and the ex-man u players are probably all very wealthy but they should have got paid something for selling Thomas-Asante to WBA at least.

I see them as a smaller club with money like Forest Green and it took them 5 seasons and 2 play off losses before getting out of League 2, looks like Salford are in with a shout of the play offs and this is their 3rd League 2 season. I can't see Salford getting past the glass ceiling in League 1 when you start competing with the likes of Ipswich, Wednesday, Bolton etc. With Wrexham though I definitely think they could one day compete in the championship at least (and with their high profile sponsors would be interesting to see where they would stack up financially against other champ sides), would laugh if they somehow missed promotion this season though having their owners already being given the freedom of Wrexham after beating Notts.

I thought Peter Lim's money almost guaranteed them a place in the championship, perhaps he's not backing them as much now...

2 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

I thought Peter Lim's money almost guaranteed them a place in the championship, perhaps he's not backing them as much now...

I think smaller clubs like Wycombe, Burton, Yeovil etc have done it in the last 10 years without massively overspending so it's not impossible, but none of them were big enough to stay up beyond a couple of seasons. It will be a really tough ask for Salford while League 1 has this many big clubs and for every little club that makes it to the champ there are many more who lose momentum and fall down the leagues again. If I was Lim I would be very worried about Valencia being in the relegation zone in Spain at the moment. ? Guessing his experience at Valencia might also put him off backing Salford more than he is now.

• Like 1