IGNORED

Watford away match thread

22A

Just now, old_eastender said:

Frustrating, as have been the better team for large periods today. Two poor goals gifted to them, and too many missed chances

Can analyse the death out if it, but simply comes down to that. Played some decent stuff, beat ourself in the end. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

He's a smaller person, he's not going to throw his body into players because he'd come off worse than they would, commanding is taking the initiative to go for the ball which is exactly what he does and that Bentley never did because he was always too scared of messing it up. Bentley was an amazing shot-stopper but he was gutless in commanding his area and that's partly why Max is in the team, because despite being a smaller, less solid man he still does for the ball more than Bentley.

I'm coming from a is he good enough to take us forward view, rather than comparing him with Bentley. He certainly goes for it more than him, which is preferable, but that on it's own isn't enough. He sometimes hesitates and finds himself no mans land, that's what I mean about commanding. He isn't physically big/strong enough for us to go to the next step. Just my observation, but I don't hate him !

Immediate thoughts, they created very little and scored twice (both sloppy goals to concede,) we created a number of decent chances but couldn’t score. We’ve  played worse and won this season.

We looked a well balanced side and overall it was a decent City performance. Scott shone from the bench and Bell looked a threat, Wells worked his socks off.

Funny old game isn’t it? Watford get three points in a game which we’ve largely controlled. In the end it’s always goals, even sloppy ones, that win games. 

• Like 1

Mathematically safe though.

Reading are 11 points adrift with a worse difference, to catch us they now need to win all 4, one of which is v Huddersfield.

If they do then Huddersfield can’t catch us.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2

40 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Sky saying Max should do better?

Ha!.............not just SKY.  That is appalling goalkeeping, and emphasises why we are in desperate need of either a quality back up keeper to compete with Max, or a quality keeper to take over from Max.  If u are going to get anywhere in   the Championship a reliable, quality goalkeeper is an essential requirement.    

So disappointing given the number of forwards we now have in the squad.

We need in the summer to have a team core that genuinely looks top half of league.

As others have said goalkeeper, imposing centre half, goal scorer on 20 a season (sorry can’t see Weimann at that level again. And, of course, a replacement for Scott.

unfortunately to achieve this we shall need more than £25m

• Confused 1

Watford commentary was very refreshing outlook  from a opposing commentary team. They said even the 2nd goal was lucky and  were complimentary of our style of play and picked out James as our star player today which id agree with .  

Bachmann is a decent keeper and did very well to save that Conway chance , i think we still look vulnerable to the counter.  

Cornick has done okay but feel like he ll do better in centre up top , Sykes has a great partnership with Tanner on the right defensively and attacking. 

I thought we played very well and outclassed a premier quality side

We didnt get any luck an own goal and a fumble from Max gifted Watford the points . 

Their Keeper was MOM on another day Nahki would have had a Hat Trick.

We still need a big target man for a plan B when we are chasing the game like today 

1 minute ago, westonred said:

We didnt get any luck an own goal and a fumble from Max gifted Watford the points . 

We still need a big target man for a plan B when we are chasing the game like today 

When was last time Wells got a hat trick?

23 minutes ago, Searles said:

“Excel” is a ridiculous over statement. He commands his box in that he comes out and flaps. No way is he a long term number 1 for a championship side seeking promotion.

I think we're at least 6 players away or some coaching improvements to a number of players from that. That is going to take at least 3 windows with money to produce.

I think he fits us for where we are at the moment (championship mid table side) but I don't think he is better than Bentley.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, westonred said:

Agreed  - apart from the bit about Wells. 

If i had to come up with some accompanying music to play along side today's performance...............it would be Limp Bizkit?   I appreciate we have very little to play for at present.......but it is obvious just how far we are from challenging for the top six next season IMHO.

6 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

Watford commentary was very refreshing outlook  from a opposing commentary team. They said even the 2nd goal was lucky and  were complimentary of our style of play and picked out James as our star player today which id agree with .  

Bachmann is a decent keeper and did very well to save that Conway chance , i think we still look vulnerable to the counter.  

Cornick has done okay but feel like he ll do better in centre up top , Sykes has a great partnership with Tanner on the right defensively and attacking. 

This,they were very good and at times almost seemed neutral at times,far better than the usual nonsense I have to listen to when nicking a stream 

• Like 1

Really hard game to summarise, without doubt the better side some bright innovative football good to watch against a side ( who played poorly ) but have so much talent . No one really played that poorly ( even though I think the game passes Andi by ) plenty of effort no sign of on the beach like I did suggest after the Swansea game .

but at the end of it all we really need to start to change the things look promising etc etc to start winning games 

for all the good things / promise being said about the side that’s one win in 6 ( not good ) don’t get me wrong I can see all the promise but we need to start turning promise into results 

13 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Immediate thoughts, they created very little and scored twice (both sloppy goals to concede,) we created a number of decent chances but couldn’t score. We’ve  played worse and won this season.

We looked a well balanced side and overall it was a decent City performance. Scott shone from the bench and Bell looked a threat, Wells worked his socks off.

Funny old game isn’t it? Watford get three points in a game which we’ve largely controlled. In the end it’s always goals, even sloppy ones, that win games. 

I fully appreciate that Nakhi worked his socks off......but the occasional goal would be handy?   He is a striker after all?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Mathematically safe though.

Reading are 11 points adrift with a worse difference, to catch us they now need to win all 4, one of which is v Huddersfield.

If they do then Huddersfield can’t catch us.

This is all I care about at this stage of the season.

We’ve got our financial situation back in check and it looks like we’re going to stay in this division comfortably without a dog fight.

Would have been well happy knowing that at the back end of last season.

Solid foundations to build on next year. A lot to be positive about.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

If i had to come up with some accompanying music to play along side today's performance...............it would be Limp Bizkit?   I appreciate we have very little to play for at present.......but it is obvious just how far we are from challenging for the top six next season IMHO.

Erm.......Any chance you could come up with something by Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd? Being of a certain vintage I might be able to relate then Max!

For the record (?!) I'll throw in "Dazed and confused" and "Us and them" respectively.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

With the current squad and injury situation that’s obvious. The idea is young players like Bell and Conway improve and give you more regular 7/10 performances as they go and others are brought in who are better than what you’ve got.

The fact is we are comfortably (and mathematically) safe, plenty of squad players have been given a go to show what they can do, some managed it well, others less so and we know where we need to strengthen. Not the worst position to be in compared to clubs who are scrapping for needed points and don’t have the luxury of looking at lads and others who will be belt tightening next season.

• Like 3

City played well against a good quality side imo.

I said in another thread that its all about performances now and, bar a couple of gift goals, it was a decent performance.

Positives;

Scott looked a cut above everyone on the pitch.

Naismith looks like he got the rustiness out of the way last game, played well.

Tanner is getting better by the game, had a very good game today.

James and Kiing played well.

Negatives;

Mehmeti looked like he'd won first prize in the "be a footballer for a day" raffle.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

City played well against a good quality side imo.

I said in another thread that its all about performances now and, bar a couple of gift goals, it was a decent performance.

Positives;

Scott looked a cut above everyone on the pitch.

Naismith looks like he got the rustiness out of the way last game, played well.

Tanner is getting better by the game, had a very good game today.

James and Kiing played well.

Negatives;

Mehmeti looked like he'd won first prize in the "be a footballer for a day" raffle.

My plus and minuses are a bit different. Plus is how much Sam Bell is improving game on game balanced by the minus of how much Weimann is not having too much of an influence in recent games

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

If nothing else we’re mathematically safe now.

The other positive for me is performances are consistently better even if we still don’t have the personnel that can be relied on not to make costly mistakes at times like today. We are moving in the right direction.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

My plus and minuses are a bit different. Plus is how much Sam Bell is improving game on game balanced by the minus of how much Weimann is not having too much of an influence in recent games

Just now, Numero Uno said:

The other positive for me is performances are consistently better even if we still don’t have the personnel that can be relied on not to make costly mistakes at times like today. We are moving in the right direction.

I agree the performances are much more consistent , it’s a shame the results aren’t, but I know where your coming from ,

we need to get across the line now in term of results 

Shame but never mind.

We're safe now (mathmatically not, but i can't see us going down now).

This season, for me, was all about staying in the league so i'm happy.

I'm more confident we can now re-shape the team at the end of the season for a campaign to build on next season. 

I'm happy with the job Nigel and his team are doing and am looking forward to next season.

Happy days.

Edited by Loco Rojo

3 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Shame but never mind.

This season, for me, was all about staying in the league so i'm happy.

I'm more confident we can now re-shape the team at the end of the season for a campaign to build on next season. 

I'm happy with the job Nigel and his team are doing and am looking forward to next season.

Happy days.

We are mathematically safe. BOTH of Huddersfield and Reading cannot catch us as they have play each other. Now relax!!

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Happy to be corrected but we are mathematically safe as far as I can see.

Reading would have to win every game to catch us, Huddersfield would have to win 3 and draw 1 at worst whilst overturning a huge goal difference.

Reading and Huddersfield still have to play each other so one of them would fall short of our current points total no matter what the result.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 5
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

Ha ha faith I have, but you got to admit our chances looked grim, even to staunch believers ?

Over the moon at how we look now compared to then. Some superb results and performances in the last 3 months so credit to Nigel and the players. This season was always about surviving under the financial circumstances and we’ve done that with relative ease.

Which ways the beach? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Over the moon at how we look now compared to then. Some superb results and performances in the last 3 months so credit to Nigel and the players. This season was always about surviving under the financial circumstances and we’ve done that with relative ease.

Which ways the beach? 

Head north and turn off at Sheffield. 

Hope not, let's bounce back in style .

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

I think Cornick was offside for the header.

Bell is having a great game.

I thought Bell was really in and out today.  Made a good early start, but ineffective after that…Andrews realised the diag was coming and dealt with pretty Belly comfortably after that.  Bell needed to adjust and play narrower to open the space for Jay instead.  Andrews went off to a standing ovation.  Great pass from Bell in second half to Weimann though.

• Like 1

This sums up City’s season. There’s definitely some good play, but the extra bit of cutting edge wasn’t there,  just like a few other matches this season when City could / should have won. Considering what NP has had to do that’s not surprising. Although I like to win, I’m not despondent about this defeat. Three or four good signings in the summer can make a big difference 

• Like 1