IGNORED

Ross McCrorie signed - Confirmed

AshtonRobin21

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yeah I can see how that could work:

FsnocK2.png

Would be a decent line up, we Know both Sykes and Bryan can switch roles with Tanner and Pring which would allow great overlap opportunities, James is very solid in the middle and would be great at linking players up, McCrorie would be able to drop in between Atkinson or Dickie or even rotate with them if Atkinson or Dickie brought the ball forward. I think the only question mark would be Mehmeti as we've not really seen him in that role too often, although he is exactly what we need in terms of someone to get the ball in a central position and threaten the opposition back line by going at them or looking for passes to Conway or even Bryan or Sykes coming in from the wide positions. A few diagonal passes from that AM position to the wide men cutting in could cause real issues for the opposition.

That looks a very strong side 

5 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

You are missing Vyner who I’m sure will be a starter off the back of the season he has had.

Plus it includes Atkinson, who we’ll be lucky to see much before November.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yeah I can see how that could work:

FsnocK2.png

Would be a decent line up, we Know both Sykes and Bryan can switch roles with Tanner and Pring which would allow great overlap opportunities, James is very solid in the middle and would be great at linking players up, McCrorie would be able to drop in between Atkinson or Dickie or even rotate with them if Atkinson or Dickie brought the ball forward. I think the only question mark would be Mehmeti as we've not really seen him in that role too often, although he is exactly what we need in terms of someone to get the ball in a central position and threaten the opposition back line by going at them or looking for passes to Conway or even Bryan or Sykes coming in from the wide positions. A few diagonal passes from that AM position to the wide men cutting in could cause real issues for the opposition.

Good keeper is that Edit. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

When he leaves? I have already people questioning his contribution in the last couple of weeks alone.

I remember saying what a talent Brownhill was and how £4m was a steal when we sold him only for some of our fans to claim he was overrated and that we'd robbed Burnley... so I get it, there will be vocal and delusional fans haha

9 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Good to have some strength in depth.

if everyone fit, and that’s the team. that’s a bench of. 

New Keeper, Vyner, Naismith, Williams, Weimann, Cornick, Wells

Wilson, Bell etc still there

You beat me to it.  For me this is “building a squad” good enough to not be weakened by injury / rotation.  It isn’t perfect, but it’s a significant step in the right direction (on paper).

IMG_7553.jpeg.a7380bb4d81e6b32a1306f9baf789624.jpeg

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I remember saying what a talent Brownhill was and how £4m was a steal when we sold him only for some of our fans to claim he was overrated and that we'd robbed Burnley... so I get it, there will be vocal and delusional fans haha

£7m 

Just now, petehinton said:

Good keeper is that Edit. 

Didn't bother with the keeper as we all know it's O'Leary unless we sign someone new. That said we've not been linked with any GK's as far as I've seen so I'm clued out as to what's going on there.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

You beat me to it.  For me this is “building a squad” good enough to not be weakened by injury / rotation.  It isn’t perfect, but it’s a significant step in the right direction (on paper).

IMG_7553.jpeg.a7380bb4d81e6b32a1306f9baf789624.jpeg

£7m 

Yeah it was before the final fee was announced that people were saying it was £4m and they still thought we'd robbed them.

I also agree with the depth there although I do feel James is irreplaceable with our current players. Naismith is ok there but James does so much off of the ball that no-one else in the entire squad comes close to, we really do need another midfielder of his type, someone who does the stuff that is overlooked by most. I think that with Dickie, McCrorie and Bryan signing we still need another midfielder like James, who will run the midfield and a Right Back to compete with Tanner. I know realistically we can drop Sykes back to cover Tanner should Tanner be unavailable but I think we should be looking to avoid that as Sykes should be focussing on his attacking side of the game rather than reverting back to the right back role where he's not as natural. 

All in all, if we could sign Dickie, McCrorie and Bryan I'd still be hoping for a better quality goalkeeper, some competition for Right back and a solid box to box midfielder which I know be a bit much to ask for.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yeah it was before the final fee was announced that people were saying it was £4m and they still thought we'd robbed them.

I also agree with the depth there although I do feel James is irreplaceable with our current players. Naismith is ok there but James does so much off of the ball that no-one else in the entire squad comes close to, we really do need another midfielder of his type, someone who does the stuff that is overlooked by most. I think that with Dickie, McCrorie and Bryan signing we still need another midfielder like James, who will run the midfield and a Right Back to compete with Tanner. I know realistically we can drop Sykes back to cover Tanner should Tanner be unavailable but I think we should be looking to avoid that as Sykes should be focussing on his attacking side of the game rather than reverting back to the right back role where he's not as natural. 

All in all, if we could sign Dickie, McCrorie and Bryan I'd still be hoping for a better quality goalkeeper, some competition for Right back and a solid box to box midfielder which I know be a bit much to ask for.

McCrorie can play right back.

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

Kane Wilson is a capable RB, depends if NP feels he’s suitable for us.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

Hate the idea of playing Mehmeti as a 10.

He's the one player we have other than Scott (who probably won't be here) that's capable of being direct and taking on a man, he needs to stay out wide.

We need a new 10. Twine would be my somewhat ambitious suggestion, if not then I'd be very content with Azaz.

His best form for Wycombe was definitely when played out on the left. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

He's the one player we have other than Scott (who probably won't be here) that's capable of being direct and taking on a man, he needs to stay out wide.

We need a new 10. Twine would be my somewhat ambitious suggestion, if not then I'd be very content with Azaz.

You’ll know by now I hate “best elevens”, and hate formations being the be-all and end-all, but breaking my own rules:

O’Leary

Tanner Dickie Vyner Pring

James

McCrorie     Bryan

Weimann

Conway Wells

Really it’s 4 defenders, 3 midfielders and 3 forwards.  Can you remember when Williams played “front sweeper” but we still played WSM?  I think Nige ideally wants to play two forwards with one in behind.  The full-backs can provide the width.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You’ll know by now I hate “best elevens”, and hate formations being the be-all and end-all, but breaking my own rules:

O’Leary

James

McCrorie     Bryan

Weimann

Conway Wells

Really it’s 4 defenders, 3 midfielders and 3 forwards.  Can you remember when Williams played “front sweeper” but we still played WSM?  I think Nige ideally wants to play two forwards with one in behind.  The full-backs can provide the width.

I think it’s often missed that, notwithstanding when he doesn’t score, we scored more goals per minute with Wells on the pitch than anyone else so I’d probably concur with the above largely. My concern would be creativity - I’ve said before that Andi is more of a runner off the front side than a creative 10, and when you take both Scott (for reasons of sale) and Naismith out we do lack creativity on the above. I’m wondering if you have McCrorie RB over Tanner and Kal in midfield to combat that.

Based on last season, I don’t yet see Mehmeti in the best team. Not saying he won’t be, but definitely needs to learn a bit more that less is more and what to do when.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think it’s often missed that, notwithstanding when he doesn’t score, we scored more goals per minute with Wells on the pitch than anyone else so I’d probably concur with the above largely. My concern would be creativity - I’ve said before that Andi is more of a runner off the front side than a creative 10, and when you take both Scott (for reasons of sale) and Naismith out we do lack creativity on the above. I’m wondering if you have McCrorie RB over Tanner and Kal in midfield to combat that.

Based on last season, I don’t yet see Mehmeti in the best team. Not saying he won’t be, but definitely needs to learn a bit more that less is more and what to do when.

Exactly why I don’t do best elevens, because I could’ve written that team out a dozen or so ways.  One way, just like you have.  Also, I wouldn’t see it as a rigid diamond either, just did it like for explanation purposes…and to kinda show there’s a lot of room for full-backs to join in if you have a disciplined “sitter”.

Its all a but hypothetical anyway….but I hope it starts to show that we are creating depth without needing to recruit 8 or so players (as I’ve seen elsewhere).  Nige us creating a competitive core.  It is that core that will hopefully move us up the table.

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

O’Leary

James

McCrorie     Bryan

Weimann

Conway Wells

I'd have concerns with moving Vyner to LCB, purely because when his form dipped it was after moving positions. That LCB role finished Taylor Moore here, he'd looked solid on the right but that little move over seemed to disrupt him so much he lost all confidence. Not saying that would happen, but I think Zak looked as though he was turning into a quality RCB , but familiarity and confidence does seem a large part of his game. Dickie I believe has played LCB, according to my mate he's better in a 3 but not sure we will start like that, though the option is there with the same players.
Totally with you on the front two. It felt like Nige was juggling things and looking at options towards the end of the season, the Conway / Wells pairing is the best combination we've had for some time. They seem to improve each other, which is massive.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep:

So a new report saying we are only going to receive £1m up front the rest add ons this deal is looking like we have had our pants down 

I think that is the reality of the Scottish market itself, unless you are selling to a PL team.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'd have concerns with moving Vyner to LCB, purely because when his form dipped it was after moving positions. That LCB role finished Taylor Moore here, he'd looked solid on the right but that little move over seemed to disrupt him so much he lost all confidence. Not saying that would happen, but I think Zak looked as though he was turning into a quality RCB , but familiarity and confidence does seem a large part of his game. Dickie I believe has played LCB, according to my mate he's better in a 3 but not sure we will start like that, though the option is there with the same players.
Totally with you on the front two. It felt like Nige was juggling things and looking at options towards the end of the season, the Conway / Wells pairing is the best combination we've had for some time. They seem to improve each other, which is massive.

He’ll play where he’s told to play! ???

FWIW there’s a huge difference between playing LCB3 and LCB in a two…positional and spacing wise.

Who knows, we might sign another CB and Vyner doesn’t get it at all???

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Surprised to see Naismith out of so many suggested XIs. Has the best passing range in the squad by far, we looked a much better more fluid side with him in it last season

Also if we're playing the shape @Davefevssuggests I'd love to see Kane Wilson come good. As solid as Tanner's been, if we were playing that system long term we'd want a FB who offers more going forward imo, like Pring does on the left

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

O’Leary

James

McCrorie     Bryan

Weimann

Conway Wells

Gotta try find a way to play mehmeti imo

2 hours ago, Jimbo123 said:

Don’t necessarily mind giving mehmeti time in the 10. With a pre season behind him I think he could become magic for us. 
But do agree we need a new attacking midfielder if Scott goes. Someone with that “maverick” type that Pearson goes on about. Very hard to replace Scott obviously but hopefully someone with that ability to scare defenders.

We are relatively short of that with semenyo gone and if Scott leaves. 

1 minute ago, Jimbo123 said:

Bristol Post get fed bollocks by the club in terms of fees and print it.

I remember Gregor kept pushing the idea that Massengo only cost about £2.8m or whatever, which was a complete lie.

Was it ?

5 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

Yes. Massengo cost up to about 7.8m, and a lot of the add-ons were met. He was an incredibly expensive deal for the club.

What add-ons were met that cost an additional 5m ?

I'm sure the answer lies in one of @Davefevs spreadsheets.

Edited by bcfc01
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

That wasn't what Gregor reported.

He reported that the deal was up to around 3m, which was a complete lie that was pushed out by the club in attempt to lower expectation.

The deal, as originally reported by GFFN, was up to around 8m.

I'm confused why you believe one report over the other. You call one a complete lie but then completely accept the other without question. Only the clubs will know for sure the rest is speculation at both sides.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

Yes. Massengo cost up to about 7.8m, and a lot of the add-ons were met. He was an incredibly expensive deal for the club.

23 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

What add-ons were met that cost an additional 5m ?

I'm sure the answer lies in one of @Davefevs spreadsheets.

Apart from any 1st team appearances based add-ons, what else would he have triggered? No promotion or play-offs, nowhere near enough goals or assists, if any existed and no senior international call-up.
At a stretch, possibly triggered one with the U21 call up but apart from that, what else?

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

He reported that the deal was up to around 3m, which was a complete lie that was pushed out by the club in attempt to lower expectation.

So GFFN, a French media source getting their information from the selling club, report the Massengo deal as £8M, while the Bristol Post, getting their information from the buying club, report the deal as £3M.  

In other news, Scottish sources getting their info from the selling club, report the McCrorie deal as £2M +add ons, while the Post, getting their info from the buying club, report the deal as £1M + add ons.

Can you see a pattern here???????  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 2

€3m initial fee….French Journos often include contracted wages in their figures too.  Of course there were add-ons and sell-on too.  But at £10k p.w. wages that’s £2m of the missing £5m already,  and it all ties in nicely with the published accounts too

Re my sureness of the €3m fee…the source is about as good as you’ll find!  No I’m not talking Massengo!

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

So GFFN, a French media source getting their information from the selling club, report the Massengo deal as £8M, while the Bristol Post, getting their information from the buying club, report the deal as £3M.  

In other news, Scottish sources getting their info from the selling club, report the McCrorie deal as £2M +add ons, while the Post, getting their info from the buying club, report the deal as £1M + add ons.

Can you see a pattern here???????  

Image result for patterns

No, but I can see one here!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Surely a fit Rob Atkinson is and will be our first choice LCB .

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

€3m initial fee….French Journos often include contracted wages in their figures too.  Of course there were add-ons and sell-on too.  But at £10k p.w. wages that’s £2m of the missing £5m already,  and it all ties in nicely with the published accounts too

Re my sureness of the €3m fee…the source is about as good as you’ll find!  No I’m not talking Massengo!

So initial fee of £2.8m as published. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Malago said:

Surely a fit Rob Atkinson is and will be our first choice LCB .

Not sure when he will be completely fit but it will be an interesting decision for Nige. 
Could be Dickie & Naismith , with Vyner & Atkinson missing out. We may sign another CB. I doubt even Pearson knows for sure yet.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Percy Pig

O’Leary

McCrorie Dickie Vyner Pring

Naismith

Sykes     Scott

Mehmeti

Conway Cornick

Really like the look of this 11 - would only suggest Wells for Cornick though 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loosey Boy said:

Really like the look of this 11 - would only suggest Wells for Cornick though 

Thought McCrorie is a centre back or defensive midfielder. In any case Tanner holds the r/b position and if he starts the season as he finished last season, in my book he keeps the r/b position.

6 hours ago, bcfctim said:

Surprised to see Naismith out of so many suggested XIs. Has the best passing range in the squad by far, we looked a much better more fluid side with him in it last season

Also if we're playing the shape @Davefevssuggests I'd love to see Kane Wilson come good. As solid as Tanner's been, if we were playing that system long term we'd want a FB who offers more going forward imo, like Pring does on the left

Our results and performances with and without Naismith are like chalk and cheese.  Would imagine he will be one of first names on the teamsheet

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jimbo123 said:

Gregor didn't know shit. I was as in the know as he was, and I live in Essex ?

• Confused 1

Set to join up with the Scotland team tomorrow.

Medical and media duties should be completed tonight as @Davefevs mentioned.

@Bcfcshags already stated that Tuesday (tomorrow) was the scheduled day for the announcement anyway.

The international caps included as ‘add-ons’ could end up coming into play earlier than expected if he can secure himself a regular place in the Scotland squad.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Medical now happening tonight it seems.

Bit dark for the roof, H&S issues ???

on an aside TC up training with the full squad. 

Health and safety gone mad, as someone said earlier amusingly.

So what's the story Ross McCrorie? (Sorry, I'm going to keep banging that drum until the inevitable moment when it's being sung on the terraces, at which point I'm going to regurgitate my post from early in this thread and tag f*cking Robbored and everything)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

Health and safety gone mad, as someone said earlier amusingly.

So what's the story Ross McCrorie? (Sorry, I'm going to keep banging that drum until the inevitable moment when it's being sung on the terraces, at which point I'm going to regurgitate my post from early in this thread and tag f*cking Robbored and everything)

Oasis or CBeebies version?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

@Bcfcshags already stated that Tuesday (tomorrow) was the scheduled day for the announcement anyway.

The international caps included as ‘add-ons’ could end up coming into play earlier than expected if he can secure himself a regular place in the Scotland squad.

I’ve got no idea how that bit works.

With Dickie he transfers his registration on 14th June…I assume he’s now our player though.

Assume same will happen with McCrorie….but does that mean he earns his first cap as as Aberdeen player or ours?  I’m sure some agreement will be reached if needed.

30 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Presumably filmed and recorded this evening along with Dickie, before being released tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve got no idea how that bit works.

With Dickie he transfers his registration on 14th June…I assume he’s now our player though.

Assume same will happen with McCrorie….but does that mean he earns his first cap as as Aberdeen player or ours?  I’m sure some agreement will be reached if needed.

An interesting one.  Alan Ball is widely quoted as being an Everton player when winning his World Cup medal, despite not completing his transfer from Blackpool until after the final.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Malago said:

An interesting one.  Alan Ball is widely quoted as being an Everton player when winning his World Cup medal, despite not completing his transfer from Blackpool until after the final.

I have always considered Alan Ball to have been a Blackpool player (during the World Cup).

• Like 1