IGNORED

Sheffield United away match day thread

Jerseybean

Nige has taken us up a notch in terms of performances no one can deny that and we do play some nice football at times but in my eyes we are still roll over tickle there bellies Bristol city story of my life watching them . 
The mentality has to change at the club , we just seem so soft 

• Like 1

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Commentator has been incredibly biased to Sheff Utd

Not getting at you but I’m not sure why this is a “thing”. The players can’t hear, only us on red button can. It’ll never be replayed so who really cares? He’s Ill informed (stated Sykes was injured for 4 games) but can’t bring myself to care.

Just now, IAmNick said:

We're too nice to try hard enough to score a goal when we're on top?

Give me a break.

We aren’t a ruthless side when we’re on top. We seem content to coast and let the game slip away..

3 minutes ago, redkev said:

Nige has taken us up a notch in terms of performances no one can deny that and we do play some nice football at times but in my eyes we are still roll over tickle there bellies Bristol city story of my life watching them . 
The mentality has to change at the club , we just seem so soft 

We still lack that “engine room” midfielder to control difficult games like these.  Not much between the teams  - but we need that orchestrator to take us to the next level 

• Like 2

Performances far far more important than results at this stage imo. We’ve been excellent since Boxing Day. Cardiff & Swansea probably the only genuine ‘poor, move on’ performances since then, and they were injury inflicted. Had a thread bare squad for two months. 

Very excited for next season. We’ll be another level above this, again, with another good pre-season and multiple signings. 

• Like 9
  • Robin 1

10 minutes ago, downendcity said:

A poster earlier asked how this Sheff United team are second in the division and heading for promotion.

This is why - they find a way to get a result in games like this. Conversely we keep finding ways to drop points when we have been on top in games.

Exactly it’s no fluke , good teams even when not playing well , don’t concede and usually nick one , they done it as Ashton gate .

trouble with us we concede even if we’re playing well and tend to not score - that’s not taken the piss or being sarcastic that’s the truth with us 

• Like 3

Just now, petehinton said:

Performances far far more important than results at this stage imo. We’ve been excellent since Boxing Day. Cardiff & Swansea probably the only genuine ‘poor, move on’ performances since then, and they were injury inflicted. Had a thread bare squad for two months. 

Very excited for next season. We’ll be another level above this, again, with another good pre-season and multiple signings. 

Probably include Luton away but valid all the same.

• Like 1

Only a few games to go. It's frustrating, but we know the final third is a problem and without additional personnel, that will continue to be the case. Nige has sorted things out elsewhere, I trust him to fix/improve the final third for next season. There's so many good things, a few tweaks and it'll all feel different.

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

We aren’t a ruthless side when we’re on top. We seem content to coast and let the game slip away..

Not sure if it's calmness, composure ,decision making, ruthlessness or just a little bit of quality. 
We get in the positions, create opportunities make the runs but just don't get the last bit right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

Think based on his last 5-6 games - I genuinely fail see how Weimann keeps a first team spot next season.

Need fairly sweeping recruitment in the Summer; GK, CB, CM, RW, AM, and ST.

No LB ? Interesting.   We’ve got plenty who can play right wing so can’t see us recruiting another 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

I don’t disagree, Pete, but at the end of the day ‘performance’ has to include sticking the ball in the net to be really good. And we’re consistently failing to do that. That’s my only worry. 

• Like 1

Just now, redkev said:

Exactly it’s no fluke , good teams even when not playing well , don’t concede and usually nick one , they done it as Ashton gate .

trouble with us we concede even if we’re playing well and tend to not score - that’s not taken the piss or being sarcastic that’s the truth with us 

What a shame one lapse in concentration ruined what was a decent performance

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

To be fair got to look at it in the context of the league positions, they just about to go up we sat in middle with nothing to play for... So that being said we've done pretty well, yes we have to be more clinical and ruthless when on top but that will come....

And on this performance Sheffield will need to spend big otherwise they coming straight back down again...

• Like 1

I know what your saying but so called playing well but keep losing becomes a habit ,

we can’t just flick a switch on because it’s next season and start winning all of a sudden , we need to finish this campaign strongly to get momentum for next season 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Super said:

They have dominated this half.

They have, although we restricted them to very few real chances. One of those second halves where we worked hard second but never looked like we would score. O well, crossing practise during the close season!

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I don’t disagree, Pete, but at the end of the day ‘performance’ has to include sticking the ball in the net to be really good. And we’re consistently failing to do that. That’s my only worry. 

Consistently? We hit the woodwork twice on Saturday, and scored 5 in 3 games before that…!

4 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Think based on his last 5-6 games - I genuinely fail see how Weimann keeps a first team spot next season.

Need fairly sweeping recruitment in the Summer; GK, CB, CM, RW, AM, and ST.

Have to agree.

I adore Andi Weimann but he’s been miles off his best this season.

11 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

here-we.gif

Come on …people are talking about how proud we should be? The guy said it’s one of the best City teams he has seen ….

Absolutely ridiculous statement ?

We are improving but those sorts of statements just prove how we as fans are so used to settling with mediocrity 

• Like 2

Performance was good again today until we got in the final third and had to make something of it. I don't remember testing their keeper at all, it seems like we're stuck in a situation where we play some good football, we get into their final third and then run out of ideas and finish off with poor defensive mistakes.

I still don't understand how Weimann is in the team, he's not been good enough for a fair few games now and when you have a player like Mehmeti, Conway and Sykes as alternative options but they still remain on the bench I don't understand Pearson's reasoning.

• Like 1

Same old tbh and it's becoming quite frustrating. Played well with the vast majority of play yet I don't remember us working the keeper once and we lost again!

Where is the issue though, front men or the midfield supply? I genuinely don't know.

Edited by Ska Junkie

Unlucky. 

James, King, Vyner, Pring and DaSilva outstanding. Cornick put a shift in too. 

We just lack quality in the final third, which is odd as we all - including Nige - think that area is the least of our problems.

Just now, Percy Pig said:

Frustrating to not get a reward for a lot of good play. 

I really hate how we are treated so differently by referees when we play against the "bigger" clubs. The way in which the time wasting was officiated was a ******* disgrace. 

We did it before the goal so you can't have it both ways 

2 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Only a few games to go. It's frustrating, but we know the final third is a problem and without additional personnel, that will continue to be the case. Nige has sorted things out elsewhere, I trust him to fix/improve the final third for next season. There's so many good things, a few tweaks and it'll all feel different.

Very true. We knock it around lovely in the main and are so much better organised. So much improvement this season. 

BUT despite creating loads of promising situations in many games ( eg. Watford and first half today, don’t even get me started on the reading game) we don’t score enough goals. We don’t even work the opposition goalie enough, our shooting is powder puff at times. If we can improve that for next year we could potentially have a shot at the playoffs 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I really hate how we are treated so differently by referees when we play against the "bigger" clubs. The way in which the time wasting was officiated was a ******* disgrace. 

The Cornick booking was a disgrace and later he made us take a throw again further forward. Absolute twonk.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 3
  • Flames 3

A game that encapsulates the season. We show enough to suggest that we're not a million miles away from being a good team, but we aren't ruthless and prone to lapses in concentration that get punished.

Teams like Sheff Utd win those sorts of games for fun, we don't do it often enough.

We'll get there.

4 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Yep. That Cornick booking is absolute nonsense compared to what happened after they went ahead.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 11

Consistently? We hit the woodwork twice on Saturday, and scored 5 in 3 games before that…!

Hitting the woodwork Isn’t scoring goals and doesn’t get points. And 2 in the 6 games before that. 

We’ve struggled to score consistently for a while now, failing to turn what (as I’ve said I agree with you) are good performances into wins and points. The last two games are good examples.

As I said, I’m not disagreeing with you about performances otherwise being good (with a couple of exceptions) - just that however good they are next season it will count for nothing if we don’t learn to convert possession into goals when we’re on top of games. 

• Like 1

Just now, Percy Pig said:

That's what I'm saying though, we did have it "both ways". We were punished harshly with the booking for Cornick, they got away with about 5 worse instances of it and he only booked the most blatant booting of the ball away. 

Same with the foul by Pring and the foul on Wells. If ones a booking then they both are. Got no problem with us being punished in whatever way a referee sees fit, just want the same to be applied to the opposition. 

Maybe you're right but every team does it just a part of the game now tbh.

3 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Let's be fair, Mehmeti has done nothing for weeks. Conway has been injured and Sykes just back from a suspension. 

Mehmeti seems to have lost the ability/confidence to get past his marker. 

He looked on fire when he first joined us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

The Cornick booking was a disgrace and later he made us take a throw again further back. Absolute twonk.

Wells was scythed down twice by Egan, neither apparently warranted a yellow. 
They were allowed to take throws & free kicks seemingly from wherever they liked.

Geoff Eltringham (the worst ref at our level) finally booked one of their players in the 93rd minute.

We need to give Conway a run now, let’s face it he can’t score any fewer, Wells’ general game is decent but he can’t buy a goal at present.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

But he brought in Cornick and Mehmeti in January. The signings will be in midfield and defence.