IGNORED

Future EFL TV coverage

phantom

42 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I support the club's seeking a new broadcaster to he honest. The EFL coverage in general is below par, BT offer better insight into National League games.

I think, in general, Sky do a decent job of covering the EFL from a live matches point of view.

It was a shame that Quest lost the highlights, as they did a grand job, though the ITV4 programme is more or less identical, just missing the one great plus point of Colin Murray.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I support the club's seeking a new broadcaster to he honest. The EFL coverage in general is below par, BT offer better insight into National League games.

BT sport or TNT sport as it will be called after July should bid for it theyve done fantastic coverage of the national League. 

Edited by Street red
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Street red said:

BT sport or TNT sport as it will be called after July should bid for it theyve done fantastic coverage of the national League. 

Sky have already been put forward as preferred bidder. There isn’t another broadcaster who will get it.

The EFL meeting will be to decide the details and - probably - allow all games to be streamed domestically instead of just selected games.

43 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Sky Red Button is a good option for me, particularly if Sky make it recordable. It means even on a busy day I can watch the playback once I have ownership of the remote, past 9pm.

I think they recently re-enabled it…some have started appearing in the planner, allowing you to record it.

Pretty sure I did that recently, thinking I wouldn’t be able to watch live, but then could, so deleted the recording.

But you’ve got to do it via planner.

1 hour ago, t_b said:

Sky have already been put forward as preferred bidder. There isn’t another broadcaster who will get it.

The EFL meeting will be to decide the details and - probably - allow all games to be streamed domestically instead of just selected games.

That's how I read it too.

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

I think, in general, Sky do a decent job of covering the EFL from a live matches point of view.

It was a shame that Quest lost the highlights, as they did a grand job, though the ITV4 programme is more or less identical, just missing the one great plus point of Colin Murray.

Yep...I really miss Colin Murray's wit and insight, he really knew his subject, and he is a great presenter.

• Like 2

I'd prefer it if Sky didn't pick 10 teams that they were then going  to cover 75 % of their games. Forest will be a big embarrassment for them if they get relegated.

I'd also like the BBC as our national broadcaster to go back to covering every team in the Premier and  English football league during the season and get their heads out of the PL backsides!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Midred said:

I'd prefer it if Sky didn't pick 10 teams that they were then going  to cover 75 % of their games. Forest will be a big embarrassment for them if they get relegated.

I'd also like the BBC as our national broadcaster to go back to covering every team in the Premier and  English football league during the season and get their heads out of the PL backsides!

The BBC can only cover what they have the rights to. And currently the only EFL rights they hold are for local radio, they can't do TV highlights or national radio commentary.

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The BBC can only cover what they have the rights to. And currently the only EFL rights they hold are for local radio, they can't do TV highlights or national radio commentary.

I'm still mad from they linked up with Sky to cover the PL in competition with ITV. All they have got from that deal is to show the highlights! Almost certainly transmission rights were easier pre 1992!

49 minutes ago, Midred said:

You know Everton, and whoever else comes down will be on every week. 

• Sad 1
  • Flames 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

They have added a million viewers a week to Countdown since he took over the chair.

I didn't even notice him on the show :fear:

3 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I like Skys coverage, but I find their match choices absolutely woeful. So many derbys missed so they can show a ex Prem team in a half empty ground on a Saturday lunch time. 

Sadly viewing figures dictate, rather than potentially the better fixture 

30 minutes ago, phantom said:

I didn't even notice him on the show :fear:

I'm amazed rhat sky could predict that there are as many fanatical viewers in Nottingham than there are in many of the other towns/cities in the UK?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

See this is something I never really understood. 
Let’s say West Brom vs Sunderland attracts an viewership of 100,000, whilst Rotherham vs Wigan only attracts 10,000. 

Ok fine. There’s 90,000 less people watching it. 

But…. 

Those 90,000 people who didn’t watch it are STILL paying their subscription. 
I doubt 90,000 people cancelled their Sky package because they had to watch Rotherham v Wigan instead. 

So ultimately, regardless of the viewing figures, Sky have still banked the same amount of money from the subscribers. 

Apparently Sky showed 138 EFL matches this season. 
In my opinion, and to ensure more equity in the money given to clubs, they should be obliged to show every team 5 times between August and February. And then from March onwards they can select games with jeopardy at either top or bottom (ie games with something riding on it). 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

See this is something I never really understood. 
Let’s say West Brom vs Sunderland attracts an viewership of 100,000, whilst Rotherham vs Wigan only attracts 10,000. 

Ok fine. There’s 90,000 less people watching it. 

But…. 

Those 90,000 people who didn’t watch it are STILL paying their subscription. 
I doubt 90,000 people cancelled their Sky package because they had to watch Rotherham v Wigan instead. 

So ultimately, regardless of the viewing figures, Sky have still banked the same amount of money from the subscribers. 

Apparently Sky showed 138 EFL matches this season. 
In my opinion, and to ensure more equity in the money given to clubs, they should be obliged to show every team 5 times between August and February. And then from March onwards they can select games with jeopardy at either top or bottom (ie games with something riding on it). 

You could say the same thing about the FA Cup,put your money on it that the bbc will show Man United Liverpool or Man City dispite the whole country paying for it 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Harry advertising is why they choose the games more people are gonna tune in for.

But again I’m sure the advertising contract is paid and agreed up front. For example let’s say Gillette, they must pay x amount per annum to be shown x number of times across x number of EFL matches. 
So surely it’s already paid for before the fixtures are even known. 
I doubt they get a rebate if it ended up being Rotherham v Wigan in the playoff - which they always have to show. Advertisers couldn’t turn around and say “nah not paying for that because we expected 2 better teams to be in the playoffs” 

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

But again I’m sure the advertising contract is paid and agreed up front. For example let’s say Gillette, they must pay x amount per annum to be shown x number of times across x number of EFL matches. 
I doubt they get a rebate if it ended up being Rotherham v Wigan in the playoff - which they always have to show. Advertisers couldn’t turn around and say “nah not paying for that because we expected 2 better teams to be in the playoffs” 

There is advertising the show (Gillette etc) then the advert break. Similar to the Superbowl in theory. The greater amount of TV viewers the higher the price the companies will pay. I expect Sky also have to provide viewing figures to back it up.

24 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

There is advertising the show (Gillette etc) then the advert break. Similar to the Superbowl in theory. The greater amount of TV viewers the higher the price the companies will pay. I expect Sky also have to provide viewing figures to back it up.

Things like the superbowl are very different I’d imagine. That’s a huge audience. 
These general adverts (again let’s take the Gillette one as an example) run thousands of times across all the sky channels on all manner of programmes - they probably pay an annual fee to be shown x number of times per week across all sky channels. 
The fact that a few thousand less people may not be watching a crap EFL game might likely mean that those few thousand subscribers are watching the cricket, golf, f1, news on another of the sky channels. 
I’d imagine in most cases, if a sports fan and sky subscriber isn’t watching a football match they’re likely watching another form of sport on the sky channels. And are therefore still going to be privy to the Gillette advert on one of those other channels. 
I can’t think it would make much difference when we’re only talking in the tens of thousands in viewers rather than the hundreds of thousands 

Edited by Harry

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Some yes…but they sell advertising space for each game too.

2 minutes ago, CloudyThatchers said:

They won't be televising 20 blackburn games next year when Everton and Leeds are in the championship 

It'll be an Everton love in, it's probably worth Sky leaving the camaras in place for the whole season as they'll be on every week.

7 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

What the hell is so appealing about showing Blackburn games? :blink:

They probably give the production team the best half time lunch.

Also, their camera gantry isn't on the moon. Unlike ours. More chance of them showing us playing the Mars Rover, than the Bristol Rovers.

• Flames 1

15 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Someone has to be bottom of that table but the disparity is huge. Surely there should be a vaguely even number of games for each team.

The range is far too wide isn’t it?  I totally get supply and demand, but we haven’t even got any away games.

Boro (h), Blackpool (h), Sheffield United (h) and Cardiff (h).

The tv love I’m on Blackburn (and Sunderland) is incredible.  If the £s are £100k (h) and £10k (a), that’s best part of £1m extra they’ve got over us!

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The range is far too wide isn’t it?  I totally get supply and demand, but we haven’t even got any away games.

Boro (h), Blackpool (h), Sheffield United (h) and Cardiff (h).

The tv love I’m on Blackburn (and Sunderland) is incredible.  If the £s are £100k (h) and £10k (a), that’s best part of £1m extra they’ve got over us!

And let`s be honest, City v Blackpool was only on to fill a quota if truth be told.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ecko said:

I'll take a Saturday 3pm kick off over being televised every day of the week.

Always the best for anyone that has to travel any distance to watch the games, but I quite like Friday night or Saturday lunchtime games, if only to get them out the way!

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Someone has to be bottom of that table but the disparity is huge. Surely there should be a vaguely even number of games for each team.

In fairness SKY just want to show the games that create the most interest. They pay the money and the clubs take the money.

Just now, Super said:

In fairness SKY just want to show the games that create the most interest. They pay the money and the clubs take the money.

I can't imagine there are many sky subscribers in Blackburn.

Maybe hookey sky but not paying full wack.

21 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

If Salford stay in that division then them v Wrexham is nailed on to be shown - "Hollywood v the Class of 92" and so on.

Exactly as it generates interest. 

Fewest live TV and probably fewest penalty kicks! 

Bottom of the table for TV and Referees.

22 minutes ago, Super said:

What money did we get? Sod all!

Edited by cidered abroad

Just now, jj77 said:

I can't imagine there are many sky subscribers in Blackburn.

Maybe hookey sky but not paying full wack.

Yes but they have had a good season so you would expect them to be shown more.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Ok, get that but the difference in games is massive.

It gets me going on my usually suppressed rage about anti west country bias. I end up supporting anyone south west of a line drawn between Manchester and London, in any sport. Well, apart from one team....

2 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Ok, get that but the difference in games is massive.

It gets me going on my usually suppressed rage about anti west country bias. I end up supporting anyone south west of a line drawn between Manchester and London, in any sport. Well, apart from one team....

It's no different from the Prem.  It's obvious the more successful  bigger clubs will be shown more. 

6 minutes ago, Super said:

It's no different from the Prem.  It's obvious the more successful  bigger clubs will be shown more. 

Except Cardiff and Reading are relegation candidates yet both got more than twice as many live games as us.

Maybe it is the mid table mediocrity that causes it, nothing to play for. Or maybe Nige needs to get a sideline acting career in Hollywood......

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Surely it must be obvious to all?  There has to be a Blackburn fan high up in the Production or Commisioning staff at Sky?  I have worked in the TV industry, and Nepotism and "Who u Know' is rife.  Don't you just Love Luvvies?  Ha!!

2 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

You mean ex premier League champions Blackburn, as opposed to never been in the prem Bristol City?

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Obviously doesn’t include red button games, but this is probably indicative of us not fighting at the top or the bottom all season…

I’m sure @Never to the dark side can use it at the AGM though!

What happens when you are mid-table throughout the season.

I remember when we got to the playoff final at this level in 07/08 we seemed to be on Sky almost every week..

Just now, GrahamC said:

Leaving aside our own situation Coventry seem to have good cause for complaint here.

At least as good as Blackburn but on only a third as often.

I might be wrong, but I think there might be a couple of mitigating factors here:

- Early part of the season, there was no way of knowing if Cov home games were going to be on what with the shenanigans at the Ricoh Arena. If I was a broadcaster, I wouldn’t have planned a game until all that had shaken out (and things were re-established) which probably takes you a large chunk of the pre World Cup period out.

- Post World Cup, they’ve steadily climbed rather than been in the top six all season. Period when they transition from mid table to playoffs as opposed to in the mix they would have been less attractive, whereas Blackburn have been in the pack all season.

I can definitely see mitigants here.

2 hours ago, Super said:

This does not paint us in a very good light, and I know this will not go down well but this season I have only left the gate maybe 5 or 6 times with a smile on my face having enjoyed the game and I'm biased so the average neutral punter would have been left pretty cold at most of our games, sorry but true. 

Edited by pillred
  • Hmmm 1

22 minutes ago, pillred said:

This does not paint us in a very good light, and I know this will not go down well but this season I have only left the gate maybe 5 or 6 times with a smile on my face having enjoyed the game and I'm biased so the average neutral punter would have been left pretty cold at most of our games, sorry but true. 

And I thought you’d been so happy this season! You’d not mentioned how disappointed you are with NP and the team until now ?

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

• Admin

Running from season 2024/25 to season 2028/29, the arrangement will be made up of guaranteed payments of £895m and £40m in marketing benefits. In total, 1,059 EFL matches are set to be broadcast exclusively across existing Sky Sports channels or live via a Sky Sports streaming destination available on TV and mobile devices.  

Increased value and promotion 

The new deal represents a 50% increase on the value of the current rights agreement and will see significantly enhanced exposure for all EFL clubs provided through on-air and digital support from Sky Sports to promote EFL competitions, clubs, and community initiatives.  

Each season, Sky Sports will broadcast a minimum of:  

• 328 Sky Bet Championship matches 
  • 248 Sky Bet League One matches 
  • 248 Sky Bet League Two matches 
  • All 15 Play-Off matches
  • All 93 Carabao Cup matches
  • All 127 EFL Trophy matches 

Each League weekend fixture round will see 10 live EFL fixtures shown. Five matches will be shown from the Sky Bet Championship and supporters of Sky Bet League One and League Two teams will now benefit from greater coverage than ever before with five of their games being broadcast live. For the first time ever, fans will be also able to watch every match from the Carabao Cup and EFL Trophy. 

All opening, final day, and midweek fixtures in the Sky Bet EFL will be shown live as will all games played on Bank Holidays including Easter, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day alongside the matches played in Sky Bet League One & Two during international breaks. 

Increased notice for fans  

With the substantial increase in the number of live matches, Sky Sports and the EFL will introduce a new commitment for clubs and fans which will provide longer notice periods on TV selections. The defined notice periods will enable clubs and fans to plan further in advance and this will include the placement of all live matches selected for broadcast for the period to FA Cup 3rd Round before the start of the season. Greater parity in the number of times that clubs are selected for TV coverage is also guaranteed. 

Article 48 to remain 

The new deal allows for ‘Article 48’, the blocked broadcast period between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on Saturday afternoons to remain, meaning that main broadcast fixtures will be scheduled for outside of this time. Final fixture slots will be confirmed at a later date. 

Domestic Streaming

From the 2024/25 season onward, this agreement makes more matches available to stream and will effectively replace the current Sky Sports EFL red button coverage and the EFL’s domestic streaming option provided via iFollow and club streaming services. Domestic streaming audio services will remain alongside existing audio-visual arrangements for international audiences via iFollow and club streaming services.  

Enhanced production values and camera numbers  

The EFL and Sky Sports will continue to work together to innovate, seeking opportunities to improve coverage and take viewers closer to the action, while the EFL will be investing significantly in production infrastructure to enhance the viewing experience. Sky Sports will have a minimum of eight cameras for each game broadcast on existing channels. For matches available to stream, Sky commentary will be provided and a minimum of four cameras will be used at Championship and League One matches, and a minimum of two cameras in League Two. 

Commenting, Chief Executive of the EFL, Trevor Birch said:  

“After completing an extensive tender and negotiation process, this is a landmark broadcast deal for EFL clubs, establishing the League as a premium partner with a world-renowned broadcaster in Sky Sports.  

“The EFL is an iconic sports property and one of the biggest and best attended Leagues in European football. This increased investment and coverage from Sky Sports will showcase much more of our compelling match action to fans, while delivering record rights values as we seek to make our clubs sustainable at all levels. 

“For decades, Sky Sports has been a fantastic broadcast partner for both the EFL and English football, helping our sport grow through its sustained support, so we are delighted to announce this innovative agreement that combines the strength of an established brand with a modern streaming service for the benefit of EFL clubs, fans and Sky Sports alike. 

“With some 20 million attending Sky Bet EFL matches each season and significant interest in the League at home and abroad, we look forward to growing our collective fanbase further and we’d like to thank Sky Sports for its ongoing commitment to the clubs and the communities which this investment will directly support.”

Sky Sports Managing Director, Jonathan Licht said: 

“This is a ground-breaking deal for Sky and our long-standing partners, the EFL. We believe that fans of all 72 league clubs will benefit with increased coverage across all the leagues and competitions. With four times as many matches than we currently offer, we will capture even more of the excitement created by this unique league – and in a way that will be immediately accessible to millions of supporters. 

“This is the biggest deal in football, in terms of the number of matches being broadcast and we look forward to working with the EFL and its 72 member clubs to give fans the most entertaining viewing experience.  

“Between Sky and the league, we’re pleased to be able to make a commitment to fans that will ensure greater notice periods around the movement of matches for broadcast. There’ll also be greater parity in the number of times clubs are selected to be live on Sky Sports.

“The EFL stands alongside our key rightsholders we have partnered with for the rest of the decade, keeping Sky Sports as the number one destination for sports fans. We thank the EFL clubs and EFL board for their support and look forward to our future together.” 

• Thanks 2