IGNORED

U20 World Cup - Television Coverage

Bristol Rob

33 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

You can definitely see the difference in his game compared to kids of the same age, who have had so little "proper" football.

Was just chatting to someone about “game maturity”….too many of the England team in both last summer’s Euro u19s and last night dribble too much.  I’m surprised that they’ve not yet built that maturity to play more pass and move.  Scott and Edwards showed their maturity, I thought Gyabi played well too out of the outfield players.

I think it is clear that the two “lower league lads” show up well, and possibly why Scarlett hasn’t played week in week out for Pompey.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It’s recorded as a ‘second assist’ in football 

Good to know, and I imagined it was tracked somewhere. I mean more the masses who focus on just goals and assists :). e.g. a 'second assist' in hockey is counted in the stats as indistinguishable from a regular assist.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Good to see Alex pick up a 'hockey assist' i.e. an assist to the assister. Even if that's not a stat most track in Football! :)

Another column for Davefevs' spread sheets? :)

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was just chatting to someone about “game maturity”….too many of the England team in both last summer’s Euro u19s and last night dribble too much.  I’m surprised that they’ve not yet built that maturity to play more pass and move.  Scott and Edwards showed their maturity, I thought Gyabi played well too out of the outfield players.

I think it is clear that the two “lower league lads” show up well, and possibly why Scarlett hasn’t played week in week out for Pompey.

I've seen Scarlett a few times now and he can finish, but his decision making is awful. That team would be lifted by Tommy Conway being in it - proper team player.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was just chatting to someone about “game maturity”….too many of the England team in both last summer’s Euro u19s and last night dribble too much.  I’m surprised that they’ve not yet built that maturity to play more pass and move.  

Yep, some of them have an air of "look at me, I'm a Premier League player". Except of course they aren't really if they spend their time e.g. on loan in League 1 or at best perpetually on the bench for their club.

However talented they are they are going to have to rein in their ego if they are to succeed in the club game.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Jebbison is miles better than Scarlett.  Bizarre decision to favour him unless it was just to give him a start with Jebbison being 1st choice ongoing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

image.png.f52eb8ff8741b8326033938ff85600ed.png
?????

Damn - missed it.

As soon as I posted I just knew you'd already have it covered and would doubtless tell me so!

Then again I haven't yet attended my summer school class on interpreting Excel spreadsheets. :)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Bard said:

Jebbison is miles better than Scarlett.  Bizarre decision to favour him unless it was just to give him a start with Jebbison being 1st choice ongoing.

I agree, but that was a shocking miss at the very end of the game.

6 hours ago, Tom said:

He definitely plays that role that people used to call a "quarterback" sitting deep and dictating tempo, but as much of a creative outlet as players playing further up.

As mentioned last night it was a bit odd to see him blocking the keeper at corners or lining up with forwards for free kicks into the box when there were 3 other players stood over the dead ball.

Would have expected him to be over the ball, seems there is a pecking order.

One thing I did enjoy was with it not being a City game I could kind of ignore the match and track his movement. Not that there was a lot of excitement to distract me.

6 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I've seen Scarlett a few times now and he can finish, but his decision making is awful. That team would be lifted by Tommy Conway being in it - proper team player.

Shame Conway isn’t their age group then 

27 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Not sure. 21 in August isn't he.? 

Its based on age group rather than actual age, Conway was age group above Scott so if he wanted to represent England he'd have to get into our U21's side.

3 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Its based on age group rather than actual age, Conway was age group above Scott so if he wanted to represent England he'd have to get into our U21's side.

Fat chance.

Wrong club.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

He could play for England despite his caps for Scotland U21s.

Scotland missed a trick there. 5 mins in a friendly would have tied it up

FYI. Fort those who have VPN and other thingies the tournament is being shown by FS2 In the USA. 

Edited by REDOXO

15 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Scotland missed a trick there. 5 mins in a friendly would have tied it up

FYI. Fort those who have VPN and other thingies the tournament is being shown by FS2 In the USA. 

I believe you’re only tied to a particular country once you’ve appeared in a competitive full international.

3 hours ago, Malago said:

I believe you’re only tied to a particular country once you’ve appeared in a competitive full international.

Exactly, would a friendly not be considered a full international?

I guess what I’m struggling with is the definition of competitive! 

Edited by REDOXO

7 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Don’t believe so, believe it has to be a competitive fixture ie qualifier or competition, however I expect nations league now counts as well so there are probably few genuine friendlies left 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I guess what I’m struggling with is the definition of competitive! 

Basically competitive would be a competition organised by a Federation ( Uefa or FIFA say) , Friendlies can be organised by respective FA's and not necessarily governed by the same rules like Subs etc.
At least that's my take.

That's an interesting article @Davefevs , missed that completely . No wonder people get confused, being able (potentially) to play for 2 Nations in the same Tournament is a big change.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Basically competitive would be a competition organised by a Federation ( Uefa or FIFA say) , Friendlies can be organised by respective FA's and not necessarily governed by the same rules like Subs etc.
At least that's my take.

That's an interesting article @Davefevs , missed that completely . No wonder people get confused, being able (potentially) to play for 2 Nations in the same Tournament is a big change.

I might’ve posted the link…didn’t say I understood it ???

• Haha 1

Much tougher game for England tonight against Uruguay who beat Iraq 4-0 in their first game.

England without a few players thanks to the intransigence of Chelsea in denying permission for Chukwuemeka to join the squad until their season is over. He's had hardly any first team game time this season since he made the daft decision to join them from Villa (£18m) with 12 appearances averaging under 20 minutes per game and, aside from 9 minutes against Man. City (probably to justify their decidion to keep him here)  not been in the squad for the previous 7 games. He's a very influential player for England and, with Chelsea's season over, its a particularly mean spirited decision regardless of any injuries they may have. 

A couple playing in the play-offs can't be helped. Ronnie Edwards was back in the squad after Peterborough were beaten in their play-off.

Looking forward to this one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Much tougher game for England tonight against Uruguay who beat Iraq 4-0 in their first game.

England without a few players thanks to the intransigence of Chelsea in denying permission for Chukwuemeka to join the squad until their season is over. He's had hardly any first team game time this season since he made the daft decision to join them from Villa (£18m) with 12 appearances averaging under 20 minutes per game and, aside from 9 minutes against Man. City (probably to justify their decidion to keep him here)  not been in the squad for the previous 7 games. He's a very influential player for England and, with Chelsea's season over, its a particularly mean spirited decision regardless of any injuries they may have. 

A couple playing in the play-offs can't be helped. Ronnie Edwards was back in the squad after Peterborough were beaten in their play-off.

Looking forward to this one.

I'm with you on Chukweumeka. He was complaining he wasn't getting games at Villa but did he really think he would get more at Chelsea?

The irony is that with Emery coming he might have got more games at Villa, perhaps joining Ramsey in midfield.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I'm with you on Chukweumeka. He was complaining he wasn't getting games at Villa but did he really think he would get more at Chelsea?

The irony is that with Emery coming he might have got more games at Villa, perhaps joining Ramsey in midfield.

My general feeling is that young players are too quick to move upwards (what they perceive to be upwards anyway).

Its similar to most walks of life, people too quick to chase the next promotion, before they are truly competent,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

My general feeling is that young players are too quick to move upwards (what they perceive to be upwards anyway).

Its similar to most walks of life, people too quick to chase the next promotion, before they are truly competent,

Some of them do it at 14 when the big club comes along and how often does it ever work? I admit it takes a brave parent to say no to Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool but had one or two I know shown that bravery their lads would probably be in a far better place now.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Some of them do it at 14 when the big club comes along and how often does it ever work? I admit it takes a brave parent to say no to Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool but had one or two I know shown that bravery their lads would probably be in a far better place now.

I think the problem is that saying no can be seen as a lack of ambition or self confidence, when actually it should be seen as positive thing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BCFCAL said:

Mental as Chukweumeka was apparently offered a £100,000 a week contract to stay at Villa too, so was obviously very highly rated there. Bad decision IMO, but he may have had his reasons! 

Yeah bad decision definitely. However, he gets knocked down but he’ll get up again.

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, BCFCAL said:

Mental as Chukweumeka was apparently offered a £100,000 a week contract to stay at Villa too, so was obviously very highly rated there. Bad decision IMO, but he may have had his reasons! 

Yeah, being a millionaire at 19 isnt as bad as it sounds!

• Haha 1

Get in 2-0....little bit of physicality back at the Uruguay CB and we get the ball in a good position...good pass, early shot by Devine, keeper can't get set and goal.

I do like Leeds's Gyabi alongside Scott.

Still can't work out what Scarlett brings up top???

The RWB (Oyegoke) having a better game tonight.  Edwards impressive again, Cox also.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malago said:

Have that Luis Suarez you dirty biting cheat.

? 

They are niggly bunch. A lot of rolling around and feigning. However I think the ref has been firm. 

Pitch looks like Twerton and some of our passing has been short, but they’ve earned their lead. Scott looks the best player out there by a distance 

Just now, grifty said:

What a nasty bunch of knobheads the Uruguayans are.

Glad to see Scott made their mouthy no.5 cry at the end of the half.

If they concentrated less on play acting and fouling/cheating they might be okay. 

I can see a mass brawl and a red card coming up in the second half.

• Like 2

England seemed to take a while to get a grip of conditions, so many misplaced passes and poor touches. Improved as the game went on. I know I'm biased , but Scott looks like someone playing in an agegroup below him. Looks so calm and aware.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I though so too, but it might be confirmation bias.

I can confirm that he was the best player even if I could be accused of bias! 

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

England seemed to take a while to get a grip of conditions, so many misplaced passes and poor touches. Improved as the game went on. I know I'm biased , but Scott looks like someone playing in an agegroup below him. Looks so calm and aware.

Exactly 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Was just about to say, ‘calm’ is the word I would have chosen. Lots of charging around but Alex always seem to have a yard to just decide what to do rather than trying to show how good by trying to dribble past six on a cabbage patch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Was just about to say, ‘calm’ is the word I would have chosen. Lots of charging around but Alex always seem to have a yard to just decide what to do rather than trying to show how good by trying to dribble past six on a cabbage patch.

"At the highest level, the first two yards are in your head".

• Like 3